Seeking author of short story

IRG

Cadet
I read a short story (probably about 30 years ago) that pops up in my memory from time to time. I'd like to reread it and other works by the same author, but don't remember the title or author's name. I'll summarize the plot. Maybe someone will recognize it.

The main character experiences life again and again, always the same. He know every word that will be spoken, every nuance of expression, every sight, every sound. He's not really doing anything, just has the memories. He's in a life-support pod of some sort, with his physical needs met by machines. Eventually he reaches for the button that will end it all. He presses it. The reader expects him to die, but instead the disks of memories are wiped clean and he starts the cycle again, to be repeated endlessly.

Does this spark a memory in you? If so, I'd appreciate any help you can provide.

I recall something very similar (sorry don't remember the author)
an aged man is in a pod and he chooses things to experience (surf, chess game) but he really wants to die and stop as everything is repetitive and nothing pleases him anymore. at the end (he keeps trying to press 'sleep') the system malfunctions and it's over, to his relief.

Back