Seen Better Days

sugababyboo

mrs. charlie
Seen better days
By-sugababyboo
Disclaimer-JJ, ABC, Bad Robot and Touchstone own Alias.
Rated PG-13 for language, lovin’ and sauciness
Genre-General.
Distribution-Just ask me first and give me credit.
Description-This is the sequel to my season finale story, "Unanticipated Changes"

Without a sound, she watched him sleep. The air conditioner murmured lightly as sunlight beamed through the bedroom window. A ray of light danced across his handsome face. She positioned her hand on his chest and felt him breathe.
Watching his chest rise and fall, she wondered if he had another dreamless sleep. Since they died, he hadn’t dreamt in weeks. Even when he was conscious, he seemed perpetually exhausted.
“Good morning,” Vaughn said.
Sydney peered into his dark jade eyes. “How did you sleep?”
“Still no dreams.”
“Do you think that she’ll come out today?”
Since that terrible night, Stephanie had been living with Sydney and Vaughn.
“I honestly don’t know,” there were wrinkles on his forehead.
“Vaughn..it’s been over eight weeks since their funeral. She didn’t even go to that.”
“Sydney, she needs time,” he brought her hand to his mouth and kissed it. “On the 18 year anniversary of my father’s death, she went with me to his grave. She told me that if her parents died, she wouldn’t to their funeral. She didn’t want to remember them that way, and I respected her decision, I still do,” he yawned as he sat up.
She couldn’t help but to feel a little guilty whenever he mentioned his father. There will never be a time, when she won’t feel guilt for her mother’s sin.
She sat up and wrapped her arms around him. “I was six, so I didn’t really understand the extent of it. I-I just thought that she would be gone for a short while. I can’t even imagine how I would be if I had lost her when I was 16. I lost Laura Bristow, not Irina Derevko; my mother, not the murderer.”
“Sydney, I’m not going to be upset at you for mourning. We just need to be there for her and right now, that means giving her space,” he pulled her off the bed and stood up. “I’m going to shower.”
Her mobile phone rang. “I’ll be there in a few,” she grabbed the phone.
“Ok,” he went into the bathroom.

“Hello?” She said into the phone.
“Sydney,” Jack said.
“Dad? What’s going on?”
“I need to talk to you…we should meet for breakfast.”
She caught off-guard by her father’s suggestion. “Um..yeah. How about at Joe’s diner?”
“That would be fine. I’ll see you in 30?”
“Make it 45? I need to get ready for work and make some breakfast for Vaughn and Steph.”
“How is she?” He sounded concerned.
“The same as last week. Time is what she needs.”
“I know, losing someone you love is never easy.”
She was surprised at slightest amount of emotion she heard in his voice.
“I think I should get ready, I’ll see you.”
“All right then.”
“Bye,” she hung up.

Humming, Will drove to Vaughn’s house. Since he had recovered from his stab wound, he had been on vacation. It was the CIA’s version of an apology. He spent most of his time at Vaughn’s, chaperoning Stephanie at Sydney’s request.
He known her well, but he wasn’t as to close to her like, Sydney, Vaughn and Weiss. It troubled him to see how miserable she was; it was like the life was drained out of her. He just did his best to accommodate her while he still making himself available.
Cautiously, he got out of his car and knocked on Vaughn’s front door. For some reason, his bulldog, Donovan, hated Will. The other day he was lucky, Donovan was at Vaughn’s mother’s house. Last week, he had torn Will’s pink t-shirt that said, “Free Ride.”
“Hi,” Sydney said as she hugged Will before letting him in.
The aroma of coffee, sausages and scrambled eggs filled his nostrils as he sat in the living room.
“Is she any better?” He asked.
She shrugged, “It depends on how you look at it. After I placed her breakfast by the door, she took it in.”
“That’s progress, at least she takes it when she knows that you’re here.”
“Morning Will,” Vaughn said.
“Hey Vaughn,” Will said turning on the television.
“We’ll see you when we get home,” Sydney headed out the door.
“Donovan is sleeping, so don’t worry,” Vaughn quipped as he followed her.
“Ha ha,” he said sarcastically.
After watching an hour of television, he decided to enter the kitchen for a glass of water. Vigilantly, Donovan guarded the refrigerator.
“Nice Donovan,” Will said as he slowly reached for the handle of the refrigerator.
Donovan barked furiously.
“HOOH!” Will screamed. “You know what? I’m going to drink from the tap.”

After breakfast, Sydney and Jack decided to talk a walk in the park. There was something about him that she couldn’t put her finger on. He seemed more apprehensive than usual. He hadn’t said a word during breakfast.
She walked over to the swings and sat down. Her eyes gazed up at him.
“Dad, what’s wrong? We’ve been here for an hour and you haven’t said anything,” she asked him.
When he looked down at her, he remembered the time when he and Irina brought her to park. She was five and loved the swings. Irina and Sydney would go on the swings while he pushed them both.
“I went to Niem and Sambath’s will reading yesterday,” he answered her.
“And?”
“Sambath’s grandfather owned a number of small business. Sambath inherited the profits last year, but she never told Stephanie. When Stephanie turns 18, she’s going to inherit the profits he gained, four million dollars.”
Her eyes widen, and then she searched his face.
“That’s not why you called me.”
“In their will, they said if anything happened to them, they wanted me to be her legal guardian.”
“Really? Dad, Vaughn and I don’t mind having her live with-.”
“I’m taking her in,” he interrupted her. “Her parents choose me to do this, I’m not going to go against their wishes.”
“Dad, you can’t be serious?”
“Sydney, my mind is made up on this.”
“I think this a bad idea,” she stood up and looked into his dark eyes.
“Why?”
“Because.”
“Because what? She needs an adult, a guardian to be there for her.”
“I agree but I don’t think that you’re it,” her voice became louder.
“Why not?”
“Because you weren’t there for me!” She cried out.
He was taken aback by her outburst. “Sydney-.”
“How in the hell are you going to be there for her?! I’m your own daughter and-“ her voice caught. “You barely raised me.”
“Sydney, I know that I’ve made mistakes.”
“Mistakes?!”
“Fine! I wasn’t there for you and I regret that. But I can’t go back and change it. You can either continue living in the past or forgive me; those are your only choices. In the past two years our relationship has progressed and I find that so rewarding,” his voice was sincere.
“Me too,” she sobbed lightly.
“This is a second chance, Sydney. And I can’t pass it up. I hope you can understand that,” he held her shoulders. “I’ll come over tomorrow to get her things.”
“I’ll I ever wanted was you,” her eyes glistened.
“Sydney,” he embraced her and cradled her in his arms.

Alan barked loudly demanding Frisbee. Forcefully, Weiss chucked the red plastic disc at the golden retriever. Effortlessly, he jumped up and caught it with his mouth. Swiftly, he ran over to his master and dropped the Frisbee in his hand.
“Good dog,” he petted Alan’s head. “I love having days off,” he said as he led Alan back to the house.
Entering the kitchen he grabbed a bottle of water and went to the bathroom while Alan walked to the living room. He looked at his reflection and wiped away the sweat on his forehead.
Taking a gulp of water, he went into the living room and turned on the television. The doorbell rang. He looked at the time on his watch.
“Who could that be?” He asked himself as he got up, Alan followed.
“Hey,” Carrie Bowman said from the other side of the screen door. She wore designer black sunglasses.
“Carrie?” He opened the door to let her in.
“I didn’t have anywhere else to go,” she told him as she went into the kitchen.
He sat her down.
“What happened?”
She removed her sunglasses and revealed to him her bruised eye.
He furrowed his eyebrows. “Marshall didn’t-?” He went to get an ice pack from the freezer.
“Oh god no, he would never do this to me. Last night, I went to my ex-boyfriend’s house, we used to live together. He called me and said that some of my things were still there. I should have known better. When I got there we just had another one of our fights.”
“And that’s why he’s your ex.”
She nodded slowly.
“I-I couldn’t tell Marshall this. He’s so sweet and innocent. I shouldn’t even be with him, he doesn’t need a girl like me with this kind of baggage.”
“Don’t say that,” he put the ice pack in a towel and held it to her eye. “He’s crazy about you.”
“I just don’t know what to do. I knew that he would come after me, so I packed up my things and left my apartment.”
“You can stay as long as you need to,” he said.
“Thank you. This isn’t the first time you’ve done this,” she gestured to the ice pack.
“No. My younger sister, Trish, she was in the same situation. Except, when she went back to him, he shot her to death. He was so much of a coward, that right after he did it, he killed himself.”
“Jesus,” she gazed at him. “I know what I have to do, but I just need time.”
“Ok,” he nodded.
Together, they sat in silence.

Sighing, Will grew bored of the show that he was watching and turned off the television. Idly, he sat there and pondered about what he should do next. He remembered that he had sent an e-mail earlier and decided to go online. As passed by the guest room he heard her voice.
“Will?” Stephanie said softly.
He paused; this was the first time he had heard her speak in weeks.
“Yes?” he asked.
“Can you come in, please?”
“Of course,” he opened the door and sat on her bed.
Her eyes were red from all the crying she had done. Tightly, the comforter was wrapped around her body. If it hadn’t been for the air conditioner she would be sweating profusely. It didn’t surprise how worn out she looked.
“How is everyone?” Her voice was weak.
“They’re worried about you. And at the same time, mourning too.”
“I see…I just wish I could be as strong as them. I mean, I feel like half of me is gone,” she sobbed.
“I know how you feel,” he thought of Francie as he rubbed her back.
“Sloane, how can he do this to people? He killed Danny, Francie, Diane and now my parents,” she said with despair.
“He’s the devil’s spawn, that’s the only answer I can come up with.”
“I agree. They never found Francie’s body?”
“No…but Sark confirmed her death. That British bastard.”
“Ditto. Do you ever wonder about the how two of you would have been like?”
“Everyday. I even went as far as marriage. She would have been a great wife and mother.”
“She would have. I just keep on thinking about all the things that they’re going to miss. My first date, becoming a field agent, my wedding day,” she wept. “And..and they would have been great grandparents too.”
“They’ll be there with you, not physically, but you’ll feel them.”
“Will?”
“Yeah?”
“Can you bring Dononvan in? I promise that he won’t attack you, he listens to me.”
Hesitantly, he said, “Ok,” he opened the door. “Donovan, come in.”
The chubby little bulldog trotted into the room.
“Donovan, you leave Will alone and come up next to me,” she patted the bed.
He sneered at Will and cuddle up next to her.
“Is there anything else I can do?” He asked.
“Can you just sit here with us?”
“Of course,” he sat there them and stroked her hair.

Speed walking, Sydney made her through the operations center. Vaughn was speaking with Marshall when she interrupted them.
“Excuse me, Marshall I’m really sorry but I need to talk to Vaughn.” She said.
“Um..sure go ahead,” Marshall said.
“Thanks,” she said.
Vaughn followed her into the flirting corner.
“What’s going on?” He asked.
“My dad went to their will reading yesterday.”
“I see.”
“They wanted my dad to be Stephanie’s legal guardian.”
“Really?”
“Yes and he’s taking her in.”
“This upsets you?”
“No and yes. He was barely there during my childhood.”
He nodded. “Do you have faith in me?”
She was caught off guard by his question.
“You really don’t have to ask that question.”
“Ok, do you have faith in your dad?”
A few moments passed by before she answered. “I do.”
“I thought so,” he said.
“I guess I have to adjust.”
“We all do, it’s just going to take some time,” he opened the door to let her out.
“Time, it’s a funny thing. It takes patience, but it’s always there when you need it.”
Kendall approached them. “Agent Vaughn, Agent Bristow we’ve transferred Logans to our branch in England. He knows where Sloane is, but he’s not talking. Inform Stephanie that she’s going to England.”
“Sir, are you serious? You’re going to let her meet him?” Vaughn said.
“I’m with Agent Vaughn. She might not stable enough to handle this.”
“Why do you think I’m choosing her?” He answered flatly. “The jet leaves tomorrow at 6 p.m.” Before they could respond, he walked away.

Dressed in her baby blue pajamas, Stephanie ate a pint of ice cream and watched some T.V. with Will. Donovan sat between them and rested his chins on her thigh.
She felt better being out of bed. In a way, she was stronger by not being bedridden. Although, she couldn’t but to think about her parents and how afterlife was like for them.
Sydney and Vaughn came home.
“Hey,” Vaughn said as he took off his jacket.
“You’re up,” Sydney said sounding amazed.
“Yeah, it was about time,” she answered.
Sydney and Vaughn looked at each other.
“Will, we need to talk to Stephanie, in private,” Vaughn said as he sat down to her.
“Ok, I was about to go home-I mean the hotel,” he got up and went to the front. “Bye guys and Donovan.”
He barked happily.
Vaughn looked at Will questioningly.
“We’ve made amends,” Will said. “Later,” he walked out.
Sydney sat on the side of Stephanie.
“My dad went to your parent’s will reading,” Sydney said.
“Oh,” she said.
“Your parents wanted Jack to be your legal guardian, so, you’ll be living with him,” Vaughn said.
“Ok, I could deal with that,” she answered.
“Logans was transferred to the branch in England,” Sydney said.
“What are you getting at Syd?”
Vaughn answered for Sydney. “Logans supposedly knows where Sloane is, but he’s not talking. Kendall wants you to got to England; he thinks that you can make Logans reveal Sloane’s whereabouts.”
Without even thinking, she replied, “When does the flight leave?” She stood up.
“Wait, aren’t you even going to think about this?” Sydney got up with her, Vaughn followed.
“What is there to think about? I’m not going to say no to Kendall,” she said walking into her room.
Vaughn followed her, “This might be a bit much for you.”
She shoved her clothes into a large gym bag. “Vaughn, I’m not some kind of flower that needs protecting. I can handle this.”
“Can you? You just got out of bed and now you’re flying half across the world?!” Sydney said.
“I guess I am,” she continued to pack.
“Fine,” Sydney stated. “I know that I’m not going to change your mind. At least answer me this, why are you packing so much clothes?”
“I’m going to be moving in with Jack and going to England. I figure, why not kill two birds with one stone,” she said matter-of-factly.
Vaughn leaned against the doorway. “Well..I guess it’s settled. I’m about to Chinese, Sydney?”
“Number 5 with white rice,” she kept her eyes on Stephanie.
“Steph?” Vaughn called out.
“Number 27 with shrimp fried rice,” she replied.
“Got it,” he walked out.
Sydney’s eyes searched her face. “Are you sure about this? Logans.. wasn’t the one that pressed the detonator.”
“Yeah, but he’s the one that handed it to Sloane. Now, if you don’t mind, I want to be alone.”
“Ok,” she went over to the doorway. “I’ll get you when the food gets here,” she closed the door.
She sat down on the bed and cried.

Shoving his hands into the pockets of his coat, Jack walked onto the boardwalk. Beneath him, the boards creaked when he quickened his stride. Weiss had called Jack earlier and said that he needed a favor. Although it was a rarity for Weiss to speak with Jack outside of work, he never questioned Weiss’s judgment.
Wrapping his fingers around the cool railing, Jack look at the ocean. The lights of the carnival from across the way glistened off the water.
“Thanks for coming,” Weiss said not looking at him.
“It wasn’t any trouble,” he replied and continued to look at the water.
“Jack, how do you feel about abusive misogynists?”
He waited a beat before answering. “They are spineless cowards and should be wiped off of the face of the Earth.”
“It’s great to know that we’re on the same page. I need to teach one a lesson,” he handed Jack a picture. “His name is Ian Smith.”
Jack stared at picture. “Weiss, I don’t know if I can do what you’re asking of me.”
“Jack, I know what you did to Will when he didn’t stop his investigation into Danny’s murder. I know that you killed Haladki. I’m not asking you to kill the man, just teach him a lesson and make sure that he leaves town.”
“Weiss, you don’t seem to be the type of man to do this. Will and Haladki, they were jeopardizing national security. I need to know why you’re asking me of this.”
He looked down at the railing. “Carrie Bowman. She’s Marshall’s girlfriend but her ex, Ian, he still has a hold over her. I believe that you work faster and more efficient than the police.”
“It’s done. Weiss, you can never ask me of another favor. Not only do I have to look after Sydney but now, for Stephanie as well. I’m her legal guardian. Technically, I am the father of two daughters now,” he turned to Weiss. “I can’t jeopardize their safety.”
“I understand Jack. This is just a one-time deal. Even thought I don’t think I can be any help to you, this means that I owe you a favor.”
“Weiss, don’t doubt yourself,” Jack said before walking away.

Typing on his laptop, Dixon sat in the jet. Kendall sat a few seats behind him and slept soundly. Stephanie emerged from the bathroom and sat across from him.
He quickly glanced at her appearance. She was dressed in a pair of dark denim jeans and black form fitting v-neck t-shirt that hugged her slim but curvaceous shape. Her shoulder length was tied back in ponytail. Resting her head on the leather seat, she read a magazine. She put down the magazine and turned to him.
“What are you doing?” She asked.
“Just replying to some e-mails,” he said.
“I see. You really didn’t have to come. I feel bad, you were on vacation.”
“I knew it was time for me to come back, so don’t feel bad.”
She nodded. “Dixon, can I ask a personal question?”
“That depends on how personal it is.”
“It’s about Sloane.”
“Go on.”
“If you were in a room, alone with him. What would you do?”
He was silent for a few moments.
“I don’t think you want to know,” his face was deadpan.
“That’s ok, because I already have an idea. I’ve never met Sloane, but now…I-I just want-.”
“Justice.”
“No. Revenge. Justice is supposed to heal society’s wounds. But revenge not only heals the victim’s wounds but it also inflicts the same pain on the aggressor. And this is why Kendall has brought me here. He knows that I’ll do anything to get Logans to reveal Sloane’s location.”
He was speechless at her comment. Never before, had he met a young woman her age so determined yet broken at the same time.
“You should get some rest, we’ll be in England in about two hours,” he gazed at her.
“Ok, wake me up when we land. And don’t worry, I don’t snore,” she turned away and closed her eyes.
He pulled out a throw blanket and carefully tucked her in.

Hours later, they arrived at the operations center in England. The director, Christian Robinson led Kendall and Stephanie away from Dixon. His assistant, Liam Noel, gave Dixon a tour.
He was analyzing an audiotape in technical ops department when Kendall came in.
“Agent Dixon,” Kendall said in the doorway. “I need to speak with you in private.”
He nodded and went out into the corridor.
“Did Logans give us a location?” He asked.
“No. But she was very…persuasive. He gave us the name of Sloane’s assistant, Jeremy Wilkins. We’ve contacted his family and they’re being cooperative.”
“Logans, is he…alive?”
“He’s not comfortable if that’s what you’re asking. He is alive though.”
“Can I see him?”
“I don’t know if you want to.”
“Kendall, I want to see him.”
“Fine, but remember, she did what she had to do,” he began walking.
When he saw Logans, his eyes became wide. A butterfly knife was protruding from his thigh. Tears ran down his bruised face.
“She broke five of his fingers without even flinching,” Kendall said. “It turns out, that she collects butterfly knives. Anger, I believe is not a set stage of grieving, but it is apart of it. If I recall, you took out you’re anger in front of Sydney on a mission. But you moved on from it. I believe that Stephanie will do the same. We leave in an hour,” he walked away leaving Dixon in front of Logans’s chamber.

Back