Selling the old toons, dust and all.

So, I just sold my old MMORPG accounts. Between the five accounts, I have made $837.00 in the past 3 hours. Honestly, I feel bad about it. I loved some of those characters, and put a lot of time into their stories and adventures. (Not to mention the grinding!) But it's done. They'll get played again, and I'll be able to fly to Ireland for free this summer.

I'd advise others to consider this alternative. It's painful, but it's also for the best, I think.

Both illegal and ill-advised. This kind of felgercarb is just going to keep getting worse. Provide people with an easy way out and they will just keep taking it. There is no shortcut to fun.

While lucrative, I agree with Gate. I agree to the TOS and EULA's for every game, and every game says you are explicitly denied the right to sell accounts or in game "property or items" for real world gain, and by clicking "accept" you agree to waive your right to sell any part of their game, or your account for financial gain.

Lucrative, but I'm too honest and too against that illegal activity. Too many times I've been burned by those who I thought were friends, only to find it's someone else who bought their account.

You guys seem to be under the delusion that the only people who buy these accounts are people who are just starting the game, and want a high level character. (Something I agree is pretty ----ty.) But I'd say the overwhelming majority of people who buy existing accounts are already veterans at the game at hand, and simply need a character of a specific type to suit their purpose. IE, buying a high level healer to heal for your Guild during raids.

I know it's a personal point of view, but I wouldn't really want to play through an entire game's worth of boring content that'd I've already done six times just so I could help out some friends. Blah blah blah, the game is the journey, not the destination. Say whatever makes you feel white knight, by all means, but the point is I don't play those characters any more. If they can bring joy to another person, then that's good enough for me.

You guys seem to be under the delusion that the only people who buy these accounts are people who are just starting the game, and want a high level character. (Something I agree is pretty ----ty.) But I'd say the overwhelming majority of people who buy existing accounts are already veterans at the game at hand, and simply need a character of a specific type to suit their purpose. IE, buying a high level healer to heal for your Guild during raids.

I know it's a personal point of view, but I wouldn't really want to play through an entire game's worth of boring content that'd I've already done six times just so I could help out some friends. Blah blah blah, the game is the journey, not the destination. Say whatever makes you feel white knight, by all means, but the point is I don't play those characters any more. If they can bring joy to another person, then that's good enough for me.

I have no real opinion on buying or selling of characters. But items and currency is a whole different matter.

The trouble I have with buying and selling accounts is that I have had too many friends (esp. late DAoC friends) who I logged in and talked to and got "Who the ---- are you??" or any number of responses. If I have a friend in game, it's perfectly legitimate for them to stop playing, but when I try to talk to a friend or get burned, cussed out, or any other type of similar response, it's just ---tty. I hate that. Not to mention the times when I've talked to someone casually for awhile and suddenly they made it obvious they weren't the same person. It's just not a good experience.

The trouble I have with buying and selling accounts is that I have had too many friends (esp. late DAoC friends) who I logged in and talked to and got "Who the ---- are you??" or any number of responses. If I have a friend in game, it's perfectly legitimate for them to stop playing, but when I try to talk to a friend or get burned, cussed out, or any other type of similar response, it's just ---tty. I hate that. Not to mention the times when I've talked to someone casually for awhile and suddenly they made it obvious they weren't the same person. It's just not a good experience.

I've never had that happen to me but I could never sell any of my characters because I can't stand the idea of anyone else playing them.

I've had it happen a few times. The best is when someone sells their account without bothering to tell his guild or leave the guild.

A new owner once withdrew as much from the guild bank as they could, mocked us and laughed, then /gquit. Given that my guild was full of pranksters and some members had in the past dramatically "quit" just to cause fake drama, no one realized what had happened for some time. Not a pleasant experience.

Like Lethe, I can't stand the notion of someone else playing my characters.

Yeah, it's weird to imagine someone else playing any of my characters...or talking to people I know or used to know on them.

Back