SENTINEL

Chapter 4
Cuvee

There was silence and then a chuckle emanated from Cuvee’s throat. “Very good, Miss Bristow. We meet again.”

“What do you want, Gerard?” Irina had the feeling his answer would not provide her with any comfort.

“I am with SVR again…an operations officer. However, this is not a part of my job. Let’s say I was somewhat put out by what happened in Kashmir. I lost my organization thanks to you two and Jack. Many were killed by the bombing attack and…I lost a great deal of money when you took the flower.” He smiled and stroking Irina’s left cheek said, “All brought about by your duplicitous actions, my love.” He backhanded her and she fell against Sydney, blood appearing on her mouth again.

“Takes a real man to hit a woman who is handcuffed,” snapped Sydney her eyes blazing.

“Sydney, don’t…” Irina gasped, but it was too late.

Cuvee struck Sydney in the solar plexus and she fell, gasping, to the floor. She did not cry out, but struggled to regain her stance. “Do not speak unless I ask you a direct question.”

Sydney said nothing, but tried to breathe normally. She looked at her mother, wondering if Derevko magic would get them out of this mess. What the hell was he planning on doing?

“What do you want?” Irina asked quietly. There was a maniacal glint in Cuvee’s eyes she did not like.

“Money…lots of it.” Cuvee snarled. He reached over and pulled Irina to him. “Ten million Euros ought to make me happy once more.”

“That’s a lot of money,” whispered Irina.

This time he threw his right fist hard into her jaw. She fell to the floor unconscious. He nodded to one of his men who left the room. He was back within two minutes with a bucket. Cuvee glanced at the unconscious Irina and the man dumped the contents of the bucket on her. She moved slightly. Gerard bent down and pulled her up by her shirtfront.

“Ten million Euros by tomorrow night.”

“How?” croaked Irina. She had the money. Fortunately, she knew Cuvee did not know how much money she squirreled away.

“Your husband will get it and bring it. Where? That’s for me to decide...I have the perfect place to keep you. Accommodations probably will not be to your liking, but then you’ve been in some of the best prisons the world has to offer, haven’t you?” He shoved her into a nearby chair.

Irina said nothing, but watched him carefully. Her peripheral vision took in what Sydney was doing and thankfully, her daughter had taken heed of Gerard’s temper. She was keeping both still and silent. Cuvee pulled out a cell and made the call. There was no answer. He hung up.

“Your husband is not home yet, but I’m sure he will be.”

Irina shrugged, but said nothing. She knew now not to aggravate him. She wondered how soon Jack would be in the apartment. Nadia would call him; she would reach him and tell him what happened.

”Take them to the room and do I as I told you.” Cuvee ordered.

The guards pulled the two women down a short hallway to another room. “Strip,” ordered one man. He grinned as he removed the handcuffs. “Do it now or we’ll help you. Put those clothes on. ” He gestured to a table with two sets of clothes on it.

Irina didn’t hesitate. She removed her boots, pants, and shirt. She knew by the white color of the clothes what they were. Interesting, she thought. When they were both dressed in white jump suits and handcuffed. The guards took them back to the larger room.

Cuvee surveyed the pair. “Good. You will fit right in where you’re going. Put the sacks over their heads.”

They traveled through the city. Irina had no idea where they’d been, but she sure as in hell knew where they were going. The car made a careful turn and then she heard muffled voices. Someone was asking for identification. Because he was sitting next to her, she heard. Cuvee identified himself as Petroffskiy. He had two Chechnyan prisoners to deliver. The go ahead was given.

The car drove down into an underground garage. The guards and Cuvee pulled the two women out and pulled them quickly through the open space and to the elevators. The doors closed and Irina knew where they were now. Lubyanka Prison. They were going to put them into forgotten cells…cells never used anymore. At least, they were still in the city. As long as they were, Jack might find them. Irina knew they would be able to survive twenty-four hours here.

They took the sacks off the two women’s heads. It was nearly pitch-black in the hall. There was a single low watt light bulb. It gave off soft but very dim light. The cells smelled of mustiness, unwashed bodies, of old urine and feces. The SVR authorities abandoned the cells and left them as they were when prisoners resided inside. Prisoners now were relocated in the new prison outside of Moscow.

“Stand still,” ordered Cuvee. “Take off the handcuffs.”

Five minutes later, Irina and Sydney were alone in a cell. The men were gone. It was darker than they imagined. They barely saw each other.

“The son of a bi*tch,” whispered Irina.

“I knew that…what else is new,” added Sydney. “Looks like Dad has his work cut out for him.

Jack and Nadia entered the apartment and Jack answered the flashing red light. However, it was a hang-up and they both knew the kidnappers had called but found no one home. There was, of course, no message.

“We’ll have to wait.” Jack tossed his coat over the sofa.

Nadia went to the kitchen. “Want some coffee?”

“Yes…” Jack sank into the chair by the phone, waiting.

He waited only a short time before the phone rang. He picked it up. “Yes?” Nadia stood nearby listening.

“Who is this?” The voice sounded familiar.

“An old friend,” the man laughed, “from Kashmir.”

” Cuvee? What the hell do you think you’re doing?”

“Being paid by Irina for the money she cost me in Kashmir. I want 10 million euros by tomorrow night.”

“I do not have access to her money. I don’t even know where she keeps it…if she has any.”

“Bristow, I am not a fool. If you don’t know, you have ways to find out.”

“ And how do you expect me to get access even if I do find it?” Jack knew how he could find it, but getting at it was something else.

“That’s your problem. You will be called tomorrow at this time with directions.” He hung up.

Jack slammed the phone down. “The bastard has them…”

“Who is he?”

“Gerard Cuvee, formerly of the KGB and Irina’s supervisor when she joined. He was the one who, according to him, picked me for her to marry.” Jack stood and went to the window to look out. He was trying to figure out how Cuvee knew the girls were with Irina and how he knew she had money. According to his demand, he must know she had a lot.

“What are we going to do?”

“I’m trying to remember who her supervisor’s name was when she was in the KGB. That’s a starting point. I have a contact in SVR who owes me a huge favor. I’m going to see if he can help.”

He turned to her. “Nadia, I need you to contact Marshall. See if he can hack into Irina’s files and find her bank accounts.” He gave her an access code. Irina would kill him if she knew he’d stolen it from her. This was, however, no time to hesitate. Somehow, he knew she would forgive him, but she would change her code. The woman was always in a control mode.”

“Where are you going?”

“Out for a walk. It may clear my memory’s fuzziness and I’ll remember the name she told me after our trip to Kashmir.” Jack shrugged into his coat and went out the door. He patted his pocket and felt his cell phone. He had to make the call to his friend at SVR.
However, he did not want Nadia to be privy to what he had to say.

Jack was back in an hour. He went to Lenin’s Tomb in Red Square with the other tourists and while moving slowly he met his friend. The man said two things: Nicholai Petroffskiy and SVR agent. Jack said nothing in return but continued walking through the line.

So, he thought, Cuvee had re-joined SVR. He wondered what happened to get him re-instated instead of jailed for his criminal activities. Still he wasn’t going ruminate too long on that, he had to start planning. He had 24 hours before he harmed Sydney or Irina…or both. First, the money…

He entered the apartment to find Nadia talking on the phone. From the conversation, he thought she was talking to Marshall. She quickly wrote something down on a pad and then hung. She handed the pad to Jack.

“Marshall gave me this. It is in an account in the Bahamas. There’s forty million dollars in it. He thinks he might be able to find others.”

Jack blinked. My god, the woman was richer than he thought. “No…this will cover the amount he wants and then some. He might want those Euros in cash. I’ve got to get it transferred into a numbered account in Switzerland. I’m sure he’d love the cash, but that’s not going to happen here in Russia, believe me.”

“Could I go to Switzerland and help?”

“Maybe. First, I’m going to set up a new account in the National Bank of the Bahamas. Did Marshall give you an account number?”

“Yes’” She handed him a piece of paper.

Minutes later Jack transferred Irina’s money to an account in the Bahamas. He thought about Cuvee. Where would he stash the two women where no one would find them? They could be in a warehouse, a house, or dacha on the outskirts of Moscow or…his eyes narrowed, remembering his contact’s words.

TBC
:angry:

CHAPTER 5
RAT HOLE

Both women went over the cell carefully, at least as best they could under the circumstances. The light was almost non-existent. The dim light bulb, although in the hallway just eight feet from the doorway, gave little off into the room.

“I’m afraid I can’t see any way out,” said Irina.

“What’s with these white overalls?”

Irina turned her back, “See now?”

“Prisoner.” Sydney sighed. “Looks like we’d be dead ducks if we made it upstairs.”

“I’m afraid so,” Irina sighed. She sat on the bunk. It had no mattress or blanket.

“Christ, its cold,” said Sydney shivering.

“Sit next to me. We’ll share body heat.” Irina moved a little.

Sydney sat down and Irina put her arm around her shoulders. Both women were lost in thought for a few minutes. Each one was assessing the probability of Jack and Nadia locating and rescuing them.

“It doesn’t look too good for something happening.” Sydney finally said.

“I’m sure your father will do the best he can. I’m hoping he’ll get an extension of time from Cuvee.”

“Do you think he’ll kill us?”

“If he does, he gets no money.” Irina smiled in the dark. Jack could stall Cuvee with a perfectly good reason. “No, he’ll keep us alive until he gets the money.”

“You think he’ll kill us then?”

“Possibly. We know who our kidnappers are, so…” Irina frowned. That thought had not immediately crossed her mind. She and Cuvee had a history, a long one. Perhaps once he had the money, he would sever relations with his employer SVR. Ten million tax free euros would take him a long way, especially in south Asia or even South America.

“It’s cold.” Sydney could feel its pervasiveness over her body.

Irina pulled her daughter down onto the bunk in a spoon position. She wrapped her arms around Sydney. “We can share body warmth from head to toe.”
Sydney felt her legs being tucked close to Irina’s left one as her right folded over Sydney’s legs. Body heat invaded Syd’s and she felt herself feeling sleepy. God, how long had it been since her mother held her in this manner. A good long time, she thought, but could not pin point when that was.

“I know what you’re thinking,” whispered Irina in her ear.

“So when…”

“You were four, I think…

They had had sex and it was as explosive as the rain, thunder and lightning, which highlighted the storm that hit L.A. Jack was sound asleep. Laura was waiting to be sure, before she went to the den to go through his briefcase. She smiled happily. He never failed. Their foreplay had been extensive tonight. Laura was edgy because of the storm. It took him longer, but it was, as always, worth it.

She hoped it would be over by morning. She was not comfortable driving in this kind of weather. She promised Sydney they would go shopping and maybe to a movie. Bad weather always meant umbrellas, raincoat, and galoshes.

“Mommy?”

Laura started. She looked over to her side of the bed. Sydney stood looking at her wide-eyed, frightened. “What is it Sydney?”

“Can I sleep with you? It’s scary in my room.”

Laura pulled back the sheet and blanket inviting her daughter to join her. “Come on.”

Sydney started to climb up onto the bed, but paused. “You don’t have any pajamas on, Mommy.”

“I know. It’s all right. I never did like to wear pajamas.”

“Oh! Didn’t your mommy make you?”

Laura pulled Sydney close to her, whispering. “She tried, sweetheart, but I took them off. Finally, she kissed me and said it was okay.”

“Ummm, she was nice. Will I get to see her someday?”

Laura sighed, “No, she’s in heaven.”

“Oh!” There was a loud clap of thunder, preceded by a flash of lightning. Rain poured down over the house. Sydney began to sniffle as she pulled the sheet and blanket over her head. “Make it stop, Mommy.”

Laura held her daughter tight to her. “It’s all right Sydney. God is letting water out of his bathtub, just as we do.”

“Too noisy,” came the muffled response.

“It will be gone soon. Mommy will protect you. Go to sleep now.”

Minutes later, Sydney was sound asleep in her mother’s arms. Laura decided this was worth more than the time to go through Jack’s briefcase. She had longed to be held this way when she was a child, but it never happened. She kissed the top of her daughter’s head, closed her eyes, and fell asleep.

“Was that the truth?”

“What?”

“Your mother let you sleep naked? I mean, Moscow is not exactly a tropical city.”

Irina chuckled. “Yes…I was…stubborn.”

Sydney laughed. She sighed. A tear escaped one eye as she thought about her mother and what would have been if…if she had not been a KGB agent and assassin. It was possible she herself would be married and have a child…maybe two, even three. She sighed again and felt her mother’s comforting arms tighten around her.

Irina heard Sydney’s sighs, wondering what she was thinking. Strangely, she herself wondered how different their lives would have been if…if she stayed and avoided extraction. It would have meant ‘walking in’ and throwing herself on the mercy of the Americans. She suddenly had no illusions as to her fate. She had executed too many CIA agents, enemies her country, enemies of the state. Irina sighed and closed her eyes.

“I love you, Sydney,” she whispered, knowing Sydney was probably asleep.

“I love you, too, Mama!” Sydney’s voice mumbled the words as she drifted off.

The scrabbling sounds woke Irina up. She listened. Whoever or whatever it was skittered around the cell looking for something. She knew what they were…she heard them many times in her lifetime. She leaned forward toward Sydney’s ear.

“Sweetheart, wake up,” she whispered.

“Huh?”

“Wake up. We have visitors.”

Sydney’s body stiffened. “Who?”

“They are of the four legged variety and come with long tails.”

“Rats?” Sydney chuckled.

“Thankfully so.”

“What do you mean?” Sydney said before realizing what the rats in their cell meant. “Oh, somewhere there’s a rat hole.”

“Lets take a better look and I think under this so-called bunk might be the first place to start.” Irina disentwined herself from Sydney and stood. “We can’t see anything in this dim light, but we can feel and in order to do that we have to pull the bunk away from the wall.”

The two women pulled the bunk away quickly. Neither was weak and so they were not inhibited by limited strength. Irina kneeled down and ran her hands along the wall. She felt something run across her legs and it, a rat, disappeared. She sensed where he or she had entered and felt around.

“Ahh, found it.”

Sydney kneeled beside her. “Where?”

“Here, feel.” Irina took Sydney’s hand and held it against the hole. “What else do you feel?”

“Cool air.”

“Good, then we both know there is another way out of here.”

“We are not exactly built like rats.”

“Before we give up, we will try to do something. I do not intend to stay and be killed like rats in a hole.”

Sydney giggled. “Yeah, right…what next?”

“Let’s see if we can make the hole bigger. This place is old and it’s possible nothing has been done to it for years.” Irina took hold of the hole in the wall and pulled…hard.

Old rotted wood cracked and a chunk of the wall came free. She tossed it behind her. The two women concentrated on the opening, making it larger and larger until it was about four feet in width. They could not see anything. It was pitch black.

“Should we wait for morning?” Sydney asked.

Irina snorted, “For all we know it could be morning now.”

“Yeah, right!” Sydney reached forward with both hands. What she felt was frozen earth. They must be below the permafrost line, which would account for the coldness they were experiencing. “You know, there’s at least a foot or more space between this wall and the earth. You up to some dangerous adventure?”

“You sure you want to do this, Sydney?”

“Yes, we’ve got to find a way out.”

“First a plan. We have to decide where to go.”

“Out of here…”

“Listen to me. I noticed the cells were empty and doors of some were open. If we can find our way to one of them we can either take the elevator out or climb stairs if there are any.”

“Then you go right and I’ll go left.”

“No!” Irina said softly. “We need think. When we exited the elevator…close your eyes… do you remember anything…an open door of one of the cells.”

“Yesss,” hissed Sydney, “the one on the left of us….closest to the elevator.”

“I agree. We’ll go to the next cell, but we have to break in and it won’t be easy. We’re going to have less space in which to operate.”

Sydney led the way. They could hear sounds of animals scattering. They had invaded rat space and the scavenging animals did not like it.

“Do you suppose there is a rat hole in the wall there.” Sydney muttered softly to her mother.

“Let’s hope so. I suspect there is as the rats have had a free reign down here for years.”

Sydney gauged the distance they traveled. She kneeled down and felt the wall near the floor. Her hands didn’t find anything at first; then, she found it about a foot further. “Got it, Mom.”

TBC (y)

It was so sweet to have them snuggled up... even if it was just for body heat. Loved the flashback scene.

Thanks for the pm! Wonderful chapter! :smiley:

CHAPTER 6
JACK’S GAMBLE

Jack sat at his computer. Nadia watched silently. He had inputted information to Marshall and was waiting for an answer. They were waiting for the call from Cuvee. He needed to negotiate for more time and when he told Cuvee why, he was sure he would get it. Suddenly the computer beeped and a message was coming in…Jack swore a little. It was not from Marshall, but from Langley. That meant Director Chase. She was the only one who knew, besides Marshall, where Jack and the girls were…visiting Irina Derevko.

“…have you anything to report on Sentinel?”

“No…nothing yet…I will get back to you.”

Chase signed off and Jack was looking up into Nadia’s questioning eyes. She thought the message was from Marshall, so had read it over Jack’s shoulder.

“I thought you retired from the CIA?” Nadia said suspiciously.

“I have. It is something personal I’m doing for Director Chase while I was here. Unfortunately, I’ve not had time since Cuvee struck.” Just then, there was another beep and Marshall was on line visually. “Yes, Marshall?”

“Everything is copasetic, Mr. Bristow. Nadia can access the account. I arranged for her to be put on the account. The password is…Sydney…”

“Thank you, Marshall. You haven’t told anyone about this?”

“Definitely not, sir. Besides Sydney is my favorite spy, if you know what I mean. I hope this will work.”

“Thanks to you, I think it will.” Jack cut the communication. He wrote the bank number of the account. “I’m sure you heard the password.”

“Yes, I have an afternoon flight.” Nadia picked up her purse and put on her coat. “You sure you’ll get the extension?”

“For ten million euros in cash…he’d be stupid not to, don’t worry. Just follow my instructions. Your mother and sister’s lives depend on it.” He stood and gave her a hug. “Be careful. Follow the instructions I gave you about the return flight. I’ll see you tomorrow night.”

She touched him lightly on the cheek, turned and ran to the stairs that led to the tarmac. Jack watched her go up the stairway and disappeared inside the plane. If all went well, she would be back within forty-eight hours…he hoped. Now all he had to do was wait for Cuvee to call.

Jack walked out of the terminal and stopped. His cell was ringing. “Bristow!”

“Ah the dutiful husband.” Cuvee’s voice sneered.

“You called me, who else did you expect.” Jack’s voice was curt.

“You have the money?”

“Your country does not have ten million dollars or euros in cash to give me. I take it you would like cash?”

Silence for a moment. “But, of course.”

Jack could hear him salivating at the other end of the line. “Then you will have to give me forty-eight hours. I have sent Nadia after it and she can’t possibly make it back to Moscow before Wednesday. The money is in the Bahamas. Air travel is not quite as regular as in the States. She has to make a change in London and then fly to Switzerland.”

“When did she leave?”

“This afternoon on the first flight she could get. She will land in the Bahamas tomorrow and return the next day and will not be in Moscow until the next morning.”

“I will meet her.”

“You come within ten feet of me or her and…”

“And what? You’ll report me. SVR would be happy to find Irina and your daughter. All it would take is a phone call.”

“No!” Jack’s voice was steely and cold. “We will make the trade face to face. Cash in the amount specified for my wife and daughter.” Silence at the other end. “Cash that is untraceable,” continued Jack. More silence. Jack knew Cuvee was considering the cash versus his safety.

“You will bring it to a place I specify?”

“Yes,” Jack smiled. “Gotcha!” he thought.

“Very well. I will call you tomorrow night with instructions.”

“I want to speak to Irina and Sydney. I want to know that they are all right.”

“Not now. They are being kept in a safe place and I am not near there.”

Jack grimaced. “Tomorrow when you call, you have one or both with you.”

“I’ll think about it.”

“Don’t mess with me, Cuvee, or I’ll see to it the rest of your life is hell.”

Cuvee laughed and cut the connection.

Jack smiled. Cuvee took the bait. He hurried out to the parking lot where Grigor waited in the car. He was on his own cell phone. When he saw Jack, he cut the call and turned the engine over as Jack sat in the passenger seat next to him.

“She is gone okay?”

“Yes. Cuvee called.” Jack had told Grigor about the kidnapping and demand for money. “He’s agreed to everything.”

“What you do, Mr. Jack?”

“I want Irina and Sydney back in one piece. After that, Mr. Cuvee will have a surprise waiting for him. Let’s stop someplace for dinner.”

“No, you come to my home. My wife will fix dinner. She is good cook, like me.”

“I don’t want…”

Grigor put one massive hand over Jack’s left. “It is settled. You have dinner with us.”

Later that night after Jack was treated to some of the best Russian food he’d ever tasted, he returned to Irina’s apartment. Sitting at the kitchen table, he sketched out a timetable for Nadia’s return and when Cuvee would call and the possibilities of a place where he would want to make the exchange. Jack knew Cuvee would pick some place where he would be safe. He wanted the advantage. What the kidnapper did not know was that Jack had a friend at SVR who would be present to observe.

SVR was as paranoid as the CIA about their people. Jack had the feeling Cuvee held a higher position in the intelligence organization and he also knew Cuvee with the money in hand would probably leave Russia for parts unknown. Since he was privy to any number of secrets, Jack knew SVR would not like Cuvee’s leaving. Jack planned to tell his friend about a certain agent within their organization known to the U.S. as The Sentinel. At this point, he did not care who Sentinel was. This was a chance to have Cuvee caught and punished.

He knew Cuvee would not be Sentinel, but what better way to get rid of the slimy agent who would always be ready to grab a Bristow for more cash. He had to be careful, because he wanted Irina and Sydney before anything went down. Now he had to wait until he got the call from Nadia stating she had the money.

Jack slept fitfully. He missed having Irina next to him. It was bad enough living in Los Angeles and seeing her only occasionally. Still he was retired…maybe…if everything went as he planned, those lonely nights and days would not be his future. He mentally prayed that his wife and daughter were safe. He did not think Cuvee would dare harm them, especially as he knew Jack would kill him if he did.

He awoke shortly after dawn. If all went well, Nadia was in the second phase of the plan. Jack was not worried. She was an accomplished agent, so would get the job done. Now he would have to contact his friend at SVR. He ate a quick breakfast watching the clock. His friend, Mischa, would be at work at seven. He would wait until about seven-thirty before making an appointment for lunch. Meanwhile he would set things going. It was late afternoon in Washington.

Reaching for his cell, he punched in the number and waited. On the third ring, a familiar voice answered.

“Chase.” Her voice was low and sounded tired.

“Bristow.”

“Jack? Have you learned something?”

“Yes and unfortunately there’s been a complication.”

“Complication?” She sounded worried. “What’s happened?”

“Sydney and Irina have been kidnapped for ransom.”

“What?” Her voice rose. “How much?”

“Ten million euros in cash.”

“Jack!” She was shocked. “You don’t have that kind of money. What are you going to do? Is there anything CIA can do? You do understand, I’m offering to help for Sydney’s sake.”

“Of course. However, I know the kidnapper and he knows me quite well.” Jack explained.

Chase was stunned. “He was the man who sent Derevko to the US to marry you?”

“Yes!” Jack continued. “I know you sent me to find Sentinel, but I have a friendly contact at SVR who probably would love to know there is a double agent working for them.”

“Can you pull it off and get them back safely?”

Jack laughed, “I have no doubt, but I needed your permission to set the trap using Sentinel. When was the last time Ben received information from our elusive informant?”

“Just a minute,” Chase pulled out a drawer and pulled out the file she set up on Sentinel. She turned pages and then stopped. “Sorry to keep you waiting, but it looks like about two years ago. It had to do with Russia’s handling of the Chechnyan problem.”

“Were the communications made on a regular basis, or just whenever Sentinel had important information to send?”

Chase glanced through the file again. “Nothing regular. At one point, he was absent for nearly five years.”

“Then if we give up Cuvee as the Sentinel, we won’t lose anything. By the way, I plan to make sure this doesn’t happen again. Just know that what you hear about the Sentinel isn’t true. You may hear from the real one or not, but since it is always from him to us, we know it isn’t a fake.

“However, I will not tell you how it will be done—trapping Cuvee, that is. Just know not to be surprised what you may hear over the intelligent gossip line.”

“Very well…” She leaned back in her high-backed chair. “Sorry about Sydney.” It spoke volumes when she didn’t extend her sorrow about Irina Derevko. She just couldn’t, not after living her life with the CIA and passing the wall in front of the Langley entrance with the stars. Twelve of them were the result of Derevko’s orders to kill them.

“Will let you know when it’s all over.”

TBC
^_^

Great chapters! Wonderw hat cuvee will do when he notice,that irina and sydney are not in cellanymore.Continue soon,please!

A Rat Hole! Gross!, there is one thing I can't stand and that is rats! well really any small four legged creature of similar size with a furry tail. of course Irina has hundreds of millions of dollars hidden in off shore accounts, she wouldn't be Irina Derevko if she didn't!

CHAPTER 7
OUT

Sydney slid into the space between the cell and ground. It was cold, very cold. She shivered. There was no light. She moved her hands along the base of the old cell and grinned. The rats, bless their hearts, had indeed gnawed a large hole leading into the cell. She reached and grabbed hold of the rotten boards. Yanking hard, she ripped the hole to six times its size. Pushing the ripped wood behind her, she grabbed the torn boards again and yanked again. More broke loose. She felt along the widened space and thought she could move into the other cell.

“Mom, I’m going to see if I can get into the cell.”

“Careful. Don’t get hurt.”

Sydney sighed. Her mother was being just that…a mother. She wiggled herself into the hole and through to the other side. “Mom, I made it. Come on.”

A couple of minutes went by; then Irina Derevko slid under the rotting bunk and stood up with Sydney. “Try the door,” said Irina.

There was light coming in the cell from the hall. Sydney carefully opened the door wider. She peeked out. Irina stood behind her. “Anyone there,” she whispered.

“No. You go first,” Sydney stepped to one side. “You know the place much better than I do.” She smothered a giggle.

Irina snorted, but didn’t say anything, stepping out of the cell. The single light bulb was near the elevators. There was no one nearby. Evidently, Cuvee thought there was no chance the two women would be able to escape. Irina passed the elevator.

“Hey, why not use it?”

“No, Sydney. If we do, we could be trapped.” As if to confirm her fears, the sound of machinery coming from behind the door, accelerated Irina to open the door to the stairs. “We’ll go this way and take no chances. Be quiet though.” She lowered her voice.

Sydney passed her and began taking the stairs two at a time. Irina followed. She concentrated on what the noise from the elevator shaft meant. It could only be someone going from one floor to the other. She had no idea which at the time. There were no windows in the stairwells. They covered the first floor up in about thirty seconds. Sydney continued leading the way. Irina followed, but was intent on the movement of the elevator.

“Stop,” she hissed, turning her head toward the elevator shaft. They were on the third floor up from the cells. She listened. The elevator was about opposite them and going down. It could be Cuvee coming to check on his prisoners…or one of his men. If so, they didn’t have much time.

“Hurry,” Irina whispered, “but make no noise.”

They made it to one floor below the main floor of the prison, before Irina heard what seemed to be a muffled shout. She opened the door and slipped through, pulling Sydney with her. They had to find a way to discard the white ‘prisoner’ uniforms they were wearing.

She moved to the left concentrating on what might be on this floor. It had been years since she’d been in the building. As the Man, she stayed as far away as she could from any prison. Irina said nothing and Sydney was intelligent enough to know the situation might lead to their being trapped. She wanted her mother to lead the way.

Fortunately, they entered a dimly lighted hall. Sydney wondered if there was a light bulb shortage in the country. Somewhere ahead of them, they heard voices. Irina could see a light from underneath a door. She slipped up next to it and looked at the door. It was labeled ‘Guardroom’. She heard the phone ring inside and the answering voice was muffled. However, she did hear. “Yes sir, we’re on our way!”

Irina grabbed Sydney and ran for the door across from the guardroom. It was open. She nearly threw Sydney inside, shutting the door quickly and silently as the door from across the way burst open and three men dashed out. They were headed for the stairwell. The door slammed shut. She opened theirs.

“In there,” she whispered. She opened the door carefully. One guard remained and he was watching television. He didn’t hear the door open as a soccer game was on the screen. Irina moved swiftly and had him around the neck before he knew it. She immobilized him, but didn’t kill him. In a minute, he was unconscious.

“Strip and put on his uniform.” The guard was thin and about five ten. “We don’t have much time.” Irina opened some lockers and saw plainclothes. They were of a larger size than she was. They might cause comment when they attempted to leave the building. She looked at Sydney who was now dressed in the guard’s uniform. She had also tied up the guard and gagged him.

“How do we play it? Do you think we can get out?”

“We have no papers and the picture on his badge doesn’t fit your description.” She looked around. She took the handcuffs hanging from Sydney’s belt. “Put me in these.”

“Mom, that’s dangerous.”

“We haven’t time to argue. We’re going to the second floor where interrogation rooms are located. Both of us have to look as though we have a reason to be on that floor. There is also a secret door in there that we can take down to the garage level. Hurry, we don’t have much time. We have to take the stairs again. Give me that pocket knife.” She gestured to the knife on the table. The guard used it to cut an apple that remained only partly eaten.

“Take the apple and start eating it. If we run into anyone, your chewing will mask your voice’s timber.” Irina was at the door looking out to be sure it was safe. “Let’s go.”

The two women marched out the door and took the stairwell again. They passed the exit onto the first floor, ducking beneath the window in the door. They covered the distance in less than a minute and stood silently at the exit door to the interrogation floor. Sydney looked at Irina.

“You have to go first,” she hissed. Sydney opened the door and taking Irina by her right arm, shoved her out.

They stood for five seconds, looking both ways. There was no one in the hallway. Irina took the first step, moving to her left. Sydney holding her mother’s arm tightly, half shoved and half-followed her. They passed several rooms and glancing into one saw it contained two SVR agents standing over a man wearing handcuffs. They didn’t look up.

“Hurry,” Irina hissed and nodded to a door about ten feet to their left.

They made it inside before anyone saw them. In the distance, they thought they heard a bell ringing. “Prisoner escaped,” said Irina. “We have very little time.” There was a loud click and both women turned to look at the door. An automatic lock-down was in place. There was no escape in that direction.

Irina walked to the wall. Looking down at the floor, she counted the floorboards from the wall where there was a barred window. Stopping at ten, she stepped on the floorboard close to the edge of the wall. Almost immediately, the wall opened about three feet. Irina shoved Sydney inside, followed her, and then pressed a small button. The wall slid shut.
They were in total darkness.

“Wait. Say nothing. Let your eyes adjust.” Irina whispered. “Let me by. I’ll lead.”

A minute or two passed. They could hear a muffled commotion, but the darkness made it impossible to hear the direction. Sydney could feel her heartbeat. She smelled the sweat of fear. Lubyanka Prison was not the best place to be. Suddenly she felt her mother’s hands touch her.

“The handcuffs,” whispered Sydney.

“When we get to the garage,” answered Irina softly. “Be careful,” she warned and turning, slid along the passageway, which moved downward. It zigzagged and in less than two minutes, they were at its end. They could go no further.

Carefully, Irina felt along the edge of the wall facing the direction of the garage. “Quiet,” she said. Her fingers touched an almost imperceptible indentation and a three-foot opening appeared. There was light. Irina stepped back and peered out. She saw no one. Any guards, who were supposed to be there, were not. She snorted softly. No doubt they joined in the hunt for the two escaped prisoners.

“Mom, what…”

“Shhh! No one is in the garage. We need a car and an inconspicuous one. I need clothes. Wearing this jump suit with ‘prisoner’ on the back will get us into trouble.”

Sydney moved past her. “I’ll look for a car.”

Irina stepped out behind her and crouched behind the nearest vehicle. Sydney was moving quickly and purposefully through the garage. Two minutes later, she was behind the wheel of a Zim, a Russian-made car. Irina ran over as Sydney hot-wired the ignition.

“In the back,” said Sydney, removing the handcuffs. “I think there are some clothes, at least it looked like something wearable.”

Irina moved quickly, shedding the white jumpsuit. It was a man’s suit. She pulled on the pants. They fit, just barely. The jacket was tight and the sleeves a little short, but it was better than the white coveralls. Sydney moved the car out of the parking space and turned toward the exit. She wasn’t expecting to see any guards, but that didn’t mean one might not be outside the entrance to the garage.

“Have any ideas how we’re going to get all the way out?”

“Just drive.” Irina was busy in the back doing something. Sydney could not see since it was dark in the garage and outside.

“Oh, oh,” Sydney said, as two men stepped out from their posts outside the entrance to the prison. One man held up his hand, ordering them to stop. “What now?”

“I’ll do the talking.” Irina said. “Just stop.”

“Careful.”

Irina rolled her eyes and stepped out of the car. Sydney watched in amazement as her mother kick-boxed the two guards senseless before they reacted. She pulled the two men into the darkened area of the garage and took their handguns. It took all of three minutes. Sydney rolled the Zim forward and Irina returned to the back seat, handing Sydney a weapon.

“It’s loaded, but I doubt there are more bullets than what’s there. And. Sydney…” she continued with a grin, “…be careful?”

Sydney pulled out of the garage laughing. “Sorry, Mom, but I sometimes forget you are anyone but Laura, the college professor and mother.”

Irina smiled. “Get us out of here.”

“Where?”

“The apartment.”

“Cuvee could be watching there now that he’s aware we escaped.” Sydney said,

“That’s possible, but I doubt it. Your father will certainly be aware of anyone watching. We need a phone.”

“We have no money and…” Sydney glanced at the dials in front of her, “…very little gas. It’s nearly on empty.”

TBC
:thinking:

CHAPTER 8
Apprehended

“Let’s head toward the Kremlin,” said Irina. “We go as far as we can on what we have. I don’t have any rubles, do you?” She glanced out the window knowing they were going west on Kuznetski Most.

Holding the wheel with one hand, Sydney searched her uniform’s right pockets. Nothing! She switched hand on the wheel and searched her other side. It too came up empty. “No. It looks like we have to go until we run out of gas.”

“We may have to abandon the car. As soon as they find the guards, they’ll check the cars parked and when they find the one that is missing, they’ll send the information to police, including license.”

Sydney nodded, keeping her eye on the road. It was early evening and they were soon in heavy traffic. Suddenly Irina reached forward and touched her daughter’s shoulder. She pointed to the left. There was a police car parked on a side street. The officer inside was talking on his mic while watching traffic.

“We have to get out sight. Turn left on Petrovka and park in the nearest alley. We’ll leave the keys inside. Someone will see it and hopefully steal the car.” Irina moved to the left hand side of the car.

Sydney made the turn. Irina looked back and did not see the police car. They were now going south toward the Kremlin and Red Square. Sydney drove down Petrovka for about three blocks before seeing an alley. She made a right turn into it. A truck making deliveries was parked on the right. She could barely get the car past on the left.

Irina tapped her again, saying, “Park in front of the truck. Its bulk will hide the car from anyone passing the alley’s entrance.”

Sydney did as she said. Irina and she left the car and hurried straight along the alley. When they came to the end, they turned right, walking down Dimitrovka, heading toward Red Square. At the corner, they both looked back, but saw nothing except very slow moving traffic. The foot traffic was not as bad as on Kuznetski Most. It would not be long before they were in heavier traffic that crowded Red Square all times of the day, but especially after work.

“Let’s keep moving. We have at least a mile to go before we get to the Kremlin.” Irina crossed the street, Sydney still wearing the SVR uniform, at her side. Fortunately, it was getting dark as always in a city that sat far north of most European capitols, so Sydney’s rather tight and small uniform was not as noticeable as it could be.

They pushed through heavy throngs of Muscovites hurrying home to their apartments. It was also getting noticeably colder. Streetlights helped and people hurried along, stopping at various shops to pick up food for dinner…or entering cafes for their nightly meal.

“Turn right here on Mokhovaya,” directed Irina. “We’ve come in a circular route to get here, but it’s just a few more blocks to Red Square. There will be more traffic, both foot and vehicle, so we will not be as noticed.” She stopped and leaned close to her daughter. “Sydney, I want you to memorize this number.” She handed her a slip of paper. “If for some reason I don’t make it, I want you and only you to make the call. Have you memorized it?”

“Yes, but who…”

“Tell him that you are Irina’s daughter and you need help.”

“Mom, who?”

Irina shook her head, “No, not here. Just make the call, if it is necessary!” She took the paper back from Sydney. She tore it into bits, scattering it along the way as they continued down the street.

“Mom, what about getting a change of clothes?”

“Right. GUM is also at the end of this street on the left.” They passed heavy mobs of people who were heading toward two Metro stations. No one really took notice of the odd-looking couple.

At the next corner, the two women crossed the street with several others. At the end of Terveskaya, they could see the large building that housed Moscow’s biggest department store. It contained everything that any muscovite would want and more. Sydney saw the entrance and with a nod to Irina quickly darted inside. She would shop at the GAP store. Although she had no cash on her, she could give them a Visa card number she memorized for such occasions.

Irina hesitated, thinking. She should change clothes also, but the store she wanted was near the far end of GUM. She did not want to be caught inside where the aisles were most likely crowded with shoppers. If she hurried along the front of it, she could enter at the south entrance with less foot traffic to interfere. At this moment, the square was filled with tourists, business people, government workers, and some military. She took a glance around and then hurried inside to her favorite store called simply ‘Anna’s.’

“Irushka, I am happy to see you.” It was Anna, her favorite sales lady and as well as owner of the shop. “What in the world are you wearing? It is not you.”

“I know. I lost my clothes and had to borrow some.”

“From a man?” She pursed her lips, shaking her head.

“Da, but you know my style.”

Anna rolled her eyes as if to be insulted. “Wait in the dressing room. I’ll be back quick.”

Irina darted inside the small room. She did not want anyone else to see her. She immediately discarded the ill-fitting suit and shoes, throwing them in the corner. Anna pushed open the door. “Here, Irina. These should be perfect.”

Minutes later, Irina stepped out wearing her favorite color, black. She had on tight fitting low riders, black tee, black two-inch high-heeled boots made from fine Italian leather, and a black hip length jacket, also made of Italian leather. She finished the outfit with a black leather belt and gloves. Anna smiled as she studied her best customer. Irina Derevko looked as dangerous as she knew her to be.

“Is that all you desire, Irushka?”

“Da. Send the bill to my office.”

“Certainly.”

Suddenly the store was filled with screeching whistles. Glancing down at the long arcade, Irina saw several politzei pouring into the doors. Intermingled with them were SVR agents. Customers and tourists froze in fear as the men took over the entrances and others started a store-by-store search for as yet some unnamed criminal.

“Attention! Attention!” A rather deep imposing voice bellowed out over the loud speakers, causing everyone who had not stopped, to stop. “Sorry for the inconvience, but we are looking for escaped prisoners. They were seen entering GUM and now anyone who leave must have their papers.”

Anna looked at Irina, who raised an eyebrow, shrugging at the same time. “You, my friend?”

Irina winked. “Overzealous former friend of mine decided he wanted to enrich his pockets by taking me prisoner.” She also wondered who spotted them.

“Ahh,” Anna nodded. “Do you need a distraction?”

“Nyet.” Irina walked to the doorway, stepped through it and looked over the balcony. People were crowding out the exits. It would take an hour as the police were checking everyone’s ID. She wondered if Nicholai was outside or inside looking for her. If she and Sydney managed to get completely away, he would be defeated. She would make sure he never tried this stunt again, but first she had to get out of the building.

“Anna,” she called back. “Can I use your phone?”

Irina made a call her office, alerting them that Anna would be sending a valid bill and she wanted them to leave. She went back to the balcony. The police congregated at the exits, checking papers. The SVR agents were looking in the stores. She knew it would be several minutes before they began on the stores and kiosks on the second floor. Keeping to side closest to the stores, she moved to the end of the immense department store. There was a door, which did not lead into a shop. She tried it and it opened. One look told her it was for janitorial staff’s use. She slipped inside. At the other side of the narrow passage were stairs leading upward past the third floor to some place near the roof.

At the top of the stairs, she saw another door. She tried to open it, but it seemed locked…or maybe it was stuck. She pushed against it. The door opened suddenly with a screech, which told her its hinges were rusty. When she stepped outside, she guessed no one used the door very much. There was a wind blowing from the northwest. She was glad she had taken a shapkas from the barrel near the door of Anna’s shop. At least her head was warm for the moment.

Closing the door, she looked around. GUM was housed in a beautiful neo-Russian architectural building, which was reminiscent of Russian medieval ecclesiastical buildings. There was an elegant steel frame and glass roof. It was similar to the great London and Paris turn-of-the- century train stations. Most recently, several other ‘department’ stores in Italy had the same type of building, although not Russian, but with the same roof-style. Still given all the aesthetics of all of them, GUM was heads above the others. Tourists often were told they needed an entire day to explore all of the shops and kiosks inside the huge building.

Irina turned toward the Red Square side. The famous façade had dozens of huge lights that pointed toward the magnificent Kremlin, Lenin’s tomb, and even at St. Basil’s Cathedral. The lights, now on, bathed the square so that no corner was in the dark. Irina looked over the roof and could see several police cars pulled up in front of the three entrances. Several black SUVs were parked among them. The SVR was out in full force. Nicholai must have pulled many strings to get help. There was no way she could get down the front of the building unseen.

I wonder where Sydney is. The thought lurked in the back of her mind as she began moving to the rear of the mammoth building. Perhaps there was some safe way down from there. Crouching she ran back the way she came. She peered over the roof. It was a long way to the ground. She could go down the corner of the building, but it was not dark enough yet. She was completely vulnerable to anyone who looked up. She bit her lips as she wondered how long it would take the searchers to head for the roof. Not long since the cars below in front indicated that there was strength and numbers among the searchers.

Below she saw a couple of trucks off-loading supplies or goods. They were about a hundred yards to her left. Irina frowned. She studied the building, wishing she had a rope. Glancing about she looked for anything that would help her repel quickly to the alley. She moved toward an odd shape a few feet away. Getting down on her knees, she picked up a cable of some kind by the feel of it in her hands and there was a lot of it, but was there enough to get her close enough to jump safely to the ground without being heard? She wouldn’t know the answer to that until she tied it off and dropped the rest.

Irina whipped it around stanchion at the nearest air conditioning unit. She tied the knot and then fed the cable over the side. It looked as if there was plenty. She thought she would have four feet left when she reached the end, but still were her eyes telling her the truth. She shrugged. She didn’t have a choice. Getting off the roof was a priority. She set the cable under her and hoisted her body over the side. Now all she had to do was take it easy. The men off loading the trucks were inside the building somewhere delivering the goods. If she were lucky, she would make to the ground before they returned.

The cable gave out about ten feet from the ground. Irina did not hesitate. She was six feet tall and that meant she had only a four-foot drop. She let go and landed on both feet glancing to her right. No one was visible near the trucks. Irina knew she must move fast. She took a step toward Ilyinka, the other street that bordered GUM.

“Don’t move!” The voice was harsh and…but unrecognized.

TBC

Back