Service Abilities

Given that you now know what classes have what service abilities, will this change the class combina

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Undecided

• Total voters
Originally posted by HJ-Sisca@May 25 2006, 01:29 PM
I would if I had a clue...obviously my edumacation is lacking :smiley:
The Ildran (spelled this wrong first time) Officiality Index is the wonderful brainchild of GM Ildran from Gemstone. It allows a GM to tell the public exactly which of their posts are them shooting the breeze with the lads, and which ones are them channelling the will of simultronics.

Here is a detailed explanation of the IOI system, as drawn from one of Ildran's own posts:

>The Ildran Officiality Index - The Official Word in Officiality

>The Ildran Officiality Index (IOI) is a tool for determining how much you should really pay attention to my stupid posts. It's a measure of how much a post conveys the Official Word of Simutronics and how much is just so much blather by some guy behind a keyboard. Higher is....umm....better. More official, anyway.

>IOI = 0: These posts really have nothing to do with anything. If you skip them, you'll probably be a better person for it. They'll be mostly found in the Socializing category, because that's the obvious location for discussing nonsense. Examples: Stories of my weekend, discussion of the current contents of my desk drawers, or rants on social values.

>IOI = 1: These posts are entirely opinion, but they're opinion about Gemstone, and simply due to my name showing up in red (dude....it's RED) they carry that little bit of unwarranted officialness. Examples: Mocking the dead resulting from my invasion, whether I think that alteration is ugly, or my favorite race to roleplay.

>IOI = 2: These posts are mostly or entirely opinion, but they're opinion about mechanics not just Gemstoniness. Hence, they carry at least a little weight. Also, they generally will pull on information that is commonly available to players. Examples: Whether boxpicking is a viable method of experience gain, why one would use non-edged weapons in combat, or which critters are easy.

>IOI = 3: These are part official and part opinion. Anything less than this would have looked basically the same as a player, these start to differ. Examples: Personal interpretations of game mechanics and their reasoning, debates on the direction of a profession, or where the game went wrong economically.

>IOI = 4: These are mostly official posts. I'm a GM, speaking as a GM, on GM matters. Examples: Personal interpretations of policy grey areas, discussions or explanations on things I'm actually responsible for, discussions of what should/can/must/may be implemented [next/soon/in a million years/never/RSN].

>IOI = 5: The only thing that would change in these posts if another GM were to have posted in my stead would be the wording. There's no opinion here. These are officially official posts of officiality. Officially. Examples: Announcements. Uhh.....announcement follow-ups. Umm....announcement clarifications? Yeah.

>IOI = -1: These posts are actually the opposite of official. They're about Gemstone, and say things that actually are wrong. If you read these, remember this. I am NOT serious. Examples: Sarcastic remarks. Actually, that's it.

>And we're done! I hope you all took notes, there'll be a quiz on this next period. Ok, time for recess.

>- AGM Ildran

>Here's the method I use when I write a post:

>1. Base IOI: Determine if I'm answering a question, posting an opinion, or starting a thread. Answering a question gives a base IOI of 4, posting an opinion gives a starting 3, and starting a thread gives a starting 3 unless I'm making an announcement, in which case it's a 5.
2. Location modification: Look at what where I'm posting. If it's Socializing, I go back and change it to 0; if it's Rogue's Banter it changes to 0 unless it has to do with GemStone, in which case it usually goes to 1 (though rarely we actually talk about normal stuff on Banter, which means it stays at the base value).
3. Composition: Type out my post.
4. Post-post Reevaluation: Look at the IOI I had previously given the post in light of what I just wrote. If I answered a question but am not completely confident about whether or not I'm correct, I change it to 3. If I see that I posted just player opinions, I change it to 2. If I discover that I posted about GemStone but never really said anything, I change it to 1.

>I've never really taken any data, but I get the general feeling that the most-used IOI is 3 (followed closely by 4), and the least-used is -1 (followed closely by 5). Maybe I should catalogue the posts I make in September and see what the real values are.

>I hope I've satisfied your curiousity! :smiley:
- Ildran

Seeing as how Ildran is all about Gemstone, you can probably replace any mention of that with Hero's Journey, but other than that, the system is resiously robust, and should be used by every GM on every forum ever.

The Healer service sounds to me like something you'd use every once in a while, kind of like a Repair but for your body instead of your gear. In other words, while you're out hunting you can get your HP back from your healer or cleric or even just resting just like any typical MMO. But those fights take something out of you just like they take something out of your armor so every once in awhile you need to go to town and find a Healer to take care of those aches and pains.

This is exactly how I read it too...which actually leads me to believe that there could be permanent wounds and scaring like in Gemstone. Also makes it sound like there are various degrees of wounds one can take on the battlefield. Maybe it's possible to get a major injury, and if healed right away it may be ok, but if the wound is not healed soon, and you regain your hp just by resting, it might scar and have some sort of lingering affect. Perhaps if a serious would isn't treated fast enough it may even affect some of your stats or abilities. This sounds like something that could make their service a lot more valuable than just a regular heal. Sisca said it best...like a repair, but for the body.

I think you're all missing the ability that Rangers should really have: The power to summon giant robot dinosaurs! You could stomp around on stuff and breath lasers (or ice if you got stuck with the Black Mammoth) and if the monsters are ever bigger than you, you can combine into one big robot and and kick their asses until they shout "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!" and fall backward and explode!

And if that doesn't pan out, you could always do those cool poses...

No, Rangers are just suppossed to live in the forest, protest against the Local Elanthia Logging company, shoot arrows at things that they don't like, pet furry animals with rabies, and wear cloves out of leaves. That's a Ranger's duty.

Originally posted by Daax@May 26 2006, 07:15 AM
No, Rangers are just suppossed to live in the forest, protest against the Local Elanthia Logging company, shoot arrows at things that they don't like, pet furry animals with rabies, and wear cloves out of leaves. That's a Ranger's duty.
But then who's going to stop Rita Repulsa? :confused:

Hmm. Item decay dosent have to be horrid, but I remember in the DDO beta, it was absolutely terrible. If you can say go without repairing your weapon for 3-5 days, say 3-4 hours of combat time per day without make much difference I don't see it beng too bad. DAoC was very nominal and it really didn't hurt you. But then since we don't look to have a NPC that will do it, what is to keep the players from jacking the prices up further and further? If there is one thing I really dont like about player economies, it's some of the players.....

Things like this are what bring gold farmers to a game. Make it so people don't need to buy gold online to get what they need, no gold farmers. ;)

Item decay in WoW and EQ2 isn't so bad. I see no problems with Repair. That said, I have my reservations about the concept of services - they just don't sound fun, though I may just need to see it in action.

Though.....in GemStone (I think it was GS...might have been DR), I loved Loresinging. It was exciting to see if I could awaken new abilities in my items.

Awaken new abilties in the items?! Whaaaaaaaaat?! Could you explain this a bit more?

I can't say I'm happy or excited about the "Service Abilities" ie: crafting of sorts. I'm not a fan of needing to create an alt with a class I may not want to play just to utilize that particular 'service'.

~ Jaraeth

Originally posted by Jaraeth@May 27 2006, 08:02 PM
I can't say I'm happy or excited about the "Service Abilities" ie: crafting of sorts. I'm not a fan of needing to create an alt with a class I may not want to play just to utilize that particular 'service'.

~ Jaraeth
Well I think the point is that you can't do everything, and so you socialize, make friends, and seek out other people that can use said abilities. If you make alts of different classes only for those skills, that's just ignoring the point of having them in the first place.

Originally posted by frostydf2@May 27 2006, 02:11 PM
Awaken new abilties in the items?! Whaaaaaaaaat?! Could you explain this a bit more?
In GS3, it was possible for a Bard to use his Loresinging skill to reveal hidden abilities in items (for example, extra damage, or an elemental resist). That seems to be exactly what the Hero's Journey version of the skill is going to be.

QUOTE (frostydf2 @ May 27 2006, 02:11 PM)

In GS3, it was possible for a Bard to use his Loresinging skill to reveal hidden abilities in items (for example, extra damage, or an elemental resist). That seems to be exactly what the Hero's Journey version of the skill is going to be.
----------------------------------------

Loresinging doesn't activate the abilities...but reveals or Identifies the abilities of an item. The more experienced the bard (loresinger) the more complete the information that may be gained. Also, many items in gemstone have a "loresong", that is it reveals some story of the item, who held it in the past, who made it perhaps, famous battles perhaps, sorta of a legend lore in old D and D.

Gron

That would be awsome if loresinging was level'd up (which it probably will be). Then you would actually seek after those higher levels for something other then 'teleporting', and 'crafting'. Simutronics could go a long ways with these service abilities if done correctly.

Hell, if they do 1/2 the stuff they are planning on doing correclty they'll have a sure hit!

Back