Politics Sex Offenders

Happened again, the other day. A convicted sex offender kidnapped and murdered an 10 year old girl in Iowa.

Something needs to be done.

mexico city said:
rapists and child molesters infuriate me
i would actually advocate sterilization
which is admittedly extreme...
[post="1277319"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I agree. The only way to let them be free again is to take away their sex drive, because there is absolutely no way to 'rehilbilitate' them. Like I said, in some cases in Florida they already practice castration on sex offenders.

I say if they're going to be allowed to be let out of jail then some serious actions need to take place, to insure that they won't commit the crime again.

What makes me angry is that a convicted sex offender is getting shipped back here....he has been in prison in Australia and now he is getting booted back here
and he will be put back into a community free and able to offend again

i agree....sex offenders should be castrated...and in some cases the people they have offended should be the ones to do it...they have detroyed a part of that persons life...something no matter what happens they won't get back

I think sex offenders should be really punished by taking the "thing" away they used to hurt their victims. Since that is unlikely I would like those people to never see the daylight again, lock 'em up and throw away the key! :angry:

noggi16 said:
We all think sexual offences are horrible crimes but advocating castration? That smacks of vigilantism.
[post="1282294"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Chemical castration is already used...and has shown to be the most effective way to deal with these monsters. I'm not saying I'm for or against it...I'm just saying it works.

How many little girls in Florida have to die before they realize that something needs to be done about this problem?!

It disgusts me that these "men" are allowed to walk the streets free.

Jamison said:
Chemical castration is already used...and has shown to be the most effective way to deal with these monsters.  I'm not saying I'm for or against it...I'm just saying it works.
[post="1306291"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

It may work, but any kind of castration (chemical or otherwise) just makes me think of those countries where they cut off people's limbs for stealing. It doesn't seem American to maim people. Kinda goes against the "cruel and unusual punishment" amendment imo.

That said, jail sentences for sex offenders need to be much tougher and better enforced. These guys should NOT be on the streets where they can prey on people.

ms.katejones said:
It may work, but any kind of castration (chemical or otherwise) just makes me think of those countries where they cut off people's limbs for stealing. It doesn't seem American to maim people. Kinda goes against the "cruel and unusual punishment" amendment imo.

That said, jail sentences for sex offenders need to be much tougher and better enforced. These guys should NOT be on the streets where they can prey on people.
[post="1306337"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Trust me, I completely agree. These guys won't be rehibiltated...it's been proven over and over again to not be possible.

They need to be locked up for the rest of their lives. Not free to roam the streets.

Jamison said:
Trust me, I completely agree.  These guys won't be rehibiltated...it's been proven over and over again to not be possible.

They need to be locked up for the rest of their lives.  Not free to roam the streets.
[post="1306347"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

To me this makes total sense, so the question is why isn't the legislature or the judiciary doing anything about it? Does anyone know if the problem is that the laws aren't strict enough? Or are judges not handing out strict enough sentences?

Just wondering.

ms.katejones said:
To me this makes total sense, so the question is why isn't the legislature or the judiciary doing anything about it? Does anyone know if the problem is that the laws aren't strict enough? Or are judges not handing out strict enough sentences?

Just wondering.
[post="1306354"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I'm really not sure...but if I had to guess it'd be a combination of the two.

Obviously the sentences aren't harsh enough...but judges might not be imposing the harshest sentence.

It just disgusts me that no one is doing anything! Especially in Florida, where two girls have been killed by convicted sex offenders within the past month. Both of these guys weren't properly registered or monitored...it's really quite scary.

Something needs to be done.

AliasHombre said:
Theres a way to look up how many sex offendres there ar ein your zip code, i think there are 22 in mine.
[post="1306405"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

And just think, those are the only ones who registered...registering, as it is right now, is optional.

My college town has 16 registered offenders, and my hometown has 50 that have registered. And it must be taken into consideration that I come from a very small town. One of the guys was a kid I went to high school with...and actually had band class with...

It's disgusting that these guys get to walk among the free...something needs to be done.

If your sex offenders register is anything like ours, its not just for child molesters and rapists its for a 17 year old who had sex with his 15 years girlfriend so while illegal and I'm in no way advocating it, hardly a menace to society,

noggi16 said:
If your sex offenders register is anything like ours, its not just for child molesters and rapists its for a 17 year old who had sex with his 15 years girlfriend so while illegal and I'm in no way advocating it, hardly a menace to society,
[post="1306720"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

That is how the registry is. And in most cases those are the ones who register, because it is completely optional.

I don't think the registry is working at all, because it is optional. The sex offenders in Florida who murdered two girls in Florida were not properly registered or monitored. The one was able to disappear without the police having any idea.

The system is a disaster, and until something is done cases like the tragedies in Florida are going to continue to happen.

Jamison said:
That is how the registry is.  And in most cases those are the ones who register, because it is completely optional.

I don't think the registry is working at all, because it is optional.  The sex offenders in Florida who murdered two girls in Florida were not properly registered or monitored.  The one was able to disappear without the police having any idea.

The system is a disaster, and until something is done cases like the tragedies in Florida are going to continue to happen.
[post="1306977"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
isn't the registering thing on a state by state basis? are you sure it's optional?

xdancer said:
isn't the registering thing on a state by state basis?  are you sure it's optional?
[post="1307698"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

It is a national registry...but you look it up on a state by state basis.

And my information was old...now all 50 states require sex offenders to register.

But it is up to the sex offenders to notify the police or whoever is in charge of the registry (usually the local police) if their information has changed...which sadly they don't usually do.

Jamison said:
It is a national registry...but you look it up on a state by state basis.

And my information was old...now all 50 states require sex offenders to register.

But it is up to the sex offenders to notify the police or whoever is in charge of the registry (usually the local police) if their information has changed...which sadly they don't usually do.
[post="1307716"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
ah, that makes sense. i love Law and Order: SVU, and they had mentioned it. plus, they're usually pretty good about sticking to facts on laws and things like that.

Sex Predator On the Loose
Written By : Lauren Smith
May 4, 2005 - 7:42AM   

A convicted sexual predator, just released from prison, has cut off his ankle bracelet and is on the run.
39-year-old Patrick Bell broke a GPS ankle bracelet Tuesday afternoon.
He got out of prison last month after serving five years for raping and molesting a little girl.
Cops say he took off from his registered address at Paul's Hotel on Lake Worth Road, and went to his mother's apartment on Silver Beach Road in Lake Park, but has not been seen since.
The ankle bracelet was found at the mom's house.
It gives off a signal that let's the department of corrections know its been cut.
Detectives say they're concerned for the safety of all children in the area.
Authorities say if you see Bell, you should immediately call 911.

Yet another Florida sexual predator is on the loose. They really need to do something about this :angry:

o my, that's really scary. i'm glad that i don't live in Florida right now. although i'm sure that it's just as bad where i live

Back