SG1, SGA and BSG : 2005 season discussion thread

Tim

Creative Writer
SG1 : Scifi.com July 15th

SGA : Scifi.com July 15th

BSG : Scifi.com July 15th

the days (not months) are counting down to the best scifi programming (well, the voting is still counting on BSG) but anticipation is growing and the time is almost upon us!

I've already warned the wife that I've got the TV that night.... I'm planning on ordering a pizza for dinner, some cold iced tea, and getting comfy in front of the TV.

well, you could say it's "research" although i'd stop short at "what pays the bills in this house, dear?"

i had thought life was slipping away as the days became shorter and shorter. i'd just like the networks for this chance to slow down my life again as any special occassion tends to do (especially when you are the lucky recipient!)

Trooper said:
I am looking forward to BSG. I don't have to reserve the TV away from my wife; I have her hooked on the SciFi channel.
The problem is that the wife is a Lifetime fan so if I don't get it first I usually come home to that being on. For some reason she doesn't see the humor in it when I call it The Man Hater's Channel. :P

lets see on july 15

I get up in the morning
Go to work (why i dont know)
Go home and plop my butt in front of the tv

AND FORGET THAT THERE IS ANYTHING OTHER THEN SCFI TV FOR THE REST OF THE DAY.

well, tonights the night. bearing freak electrical storms, the end of the world or the realisation you are actually a small furry animal in your burrow you will be watching with total anticipation!

questions running through your head will be :

have they changed the theme tunes slightly to drive your levels up?
will our sarcasm satisfaction level be reached?
will we be straight in the forums discussing old and new characters?
will time stop until we cant bear it anymore?

well, the shows aired, i presume we all caught them (otherwise, where would any self respecting scifi lover have been last night!)

SG1 starts with a two parter, concluding next week, which was a bit of a pain considering. a slow and unfamiliar start to the program led into my disbelief at the inclusion of an Avalon/Merlin/King Arthur storyline, the titles and music were extremely lightweight and maybe in keeping with the content of this ep.

SGA was business as usual, with perhaps more combat orientation than even SG1 could give us. the fact that SGA personnel had S.Ops forces, a battlecruiser with partial Grey's technology onboard and a core member going alien on his team, provided enough action to keep anyone satisfied.

BSG displayed some much needed tweaking this first ep of the second series. hopefully the crew involved in making this show have started as they mean to go on, as turning this series into a never ending soap filler is not going to keep a fan base

SG1 I think was purposely kept light, in both tone and plot, in order to ease the transition of the new characters. In the upcoming weeks we'll be seeing at least one other new regular character so the writers may have wanted to avoid information overload. Of the three shows (SG1, SGA, and BSG) SG1 has always been the lightest of the three so it makes a good starting point for the 8:00pm time slot with the much darker BSG airing at 10:00pm.

SGA, I'm not sure how I feel yet about the battlecruiser plot device of having them be able to reach Atlantis. One of the large points of SGA was the fact that they were cut off from Earth and were essentially on their own but now I can see SGA easily turning into a clone of SG1.

BSG continues to shine with it's dark twists. The back-story of Tigh & Adama provided some insight into those characters.

The only bad part..... at least for those of us in the states there'll only be 9 more new episodes shown and then we have to wait until January for the next batch of 10. :(

well, SG1 episode 2 becomes what we are used to, with extra fantasy involvement. the blend of military scifi and fantasy storyline makes for an interesting episode.

again we come to the conclusion that the storylines, acting and filming style provide us with an episode better than most Scifi channels B movies. Whereas the first episode this season appeared a bit too light on the ground, we now see at least a 3 part story and the reason for the story pace becomes more obvious. the ending of this part leaves us craving for the 3rd part to the story (if it is going to be just the 3 parts!!)

the major features of this storyline are the lack of corny storylines, although the earth characters allow some irony and sarcasm in their interactions. each time we are faced with new information and actions of alternate civilisations the storyline does not suffer like many, many programs and films we could mention.

predictability of character actions maybe comes from such a long term existence n our screens, although i prefer to think it's because the level of show writing is now so complex and realistic for the scifi world that we dread the possible end of the show. could the depth of the show turn off new converts to the scifi world? maybe starting to watch the show from the 9th series might be a bit of a problem, but i dare new viewers to find any major faults with the show

SGA reminds me of a major storyline from one of David Feintuchs : Hope series where the onboard AI goes mad after a mistake due to poor programming by humans. in this case the core o the AI can be pulled and replaced by a core copy made at last space dock after the AI's memory has been thoroughly checked and fully functional.

here we have a computer virus where the crews answer is to power off and then power back up. unfortunately that one will get past people who don't know anything about computing, but the rest of us (and surely scifi fans are more likely to have computer knowledge) the differences between ROM and RAM and other modern non-volatile memory options. a major technical mistake in my opinion, that should have been changed to have staff physically pulling ROM out of the computers onboard and replacing them with isolated stored fresh copies.

but aside from this, we see the stiffness of the Daedalus' commander soften through interaction with the team, his hard earned acceptance of civilians working in a military restricted environment. character development for this particular character is needed. However, the time allocated to showing the viewer this is short and not the main theme of the episode, i am thinking this is less complex episode and rather these parts were preparing us for greater involvement by this character. he either dies heroically making some big statement or he's going to be a controlling character in the ever expanding sphere of characters as some dissappears.

BSG characters again didn't act quite like they should do, providing us with annoying groans of half toe curling experiences. the few characters with a decent script and an actor with abilities to back it up shine through though. and guess what? two of the best are english :smiley:

is the ships 2IC really got that many character flaws that he canot make the right decisions? so far his actions have resulted in a good ending, even if he is tortured mentally during the experience. but thats what good anti-heros are for. i think most people prefer to see less than perfect characters, people with real problems that can act when the time requires it. there has to be shades of grey in life and our entertainment. we can't expect war heroes to fit in with high society socially after coming back from bload soaked battlefields, bu we do expect intelligent scientists in this day and age not to cry like a baby and hide in the corner (although we exempt characters with cylon AI interfering directly with their brains!) inside our skins we are but the sum of our life experiences, we are all different. but with so much "living" available to us it's hard to find anyone who hasn't abseiled off a cliff or building, canoed down a fast flowing river, walked/run across the wilderness with no real backup, had to face the "fight or flight" emotions that make us truly human. we want more from our programming as we have experienced in our own lives and gradually we are seeing bits and pieces finally making it.

BSG has made 2 good season 2 starting episodes and the ball is still rolling under it's own momentum...........................................

SG1 definitely took a dark turn with last night's episode with the 'burning' scene which was visually more graphic then the series has been historically. And sci-fi TV fans should welcome Lexa Doig (Rommie from Andromeda) to the cast. It'll be interesting to see with this story line if the mystical beings are indeed the Ancients or not. The only sad thing watching these past two episodes is knowing that Claudia Black (of Farscape fame) is only on for a few guest appearances and won't be a regular cast member.

SGA was a bit formulaic (come one, who didn't guess where the virus was "hiding"?) but getting those glimpses of the SGA crew back on Earth helps towards character building. Still not sure I'm crazy about Earth only being 18 days away now because that makes SGA lose part of it's initial appeal but time will tell. And, as Mr. D said, rebooting the systems to get rid of a virus? Looks like some of the writers were taking the generic Microsoft 'first-try-this' solution a little too serious. The Earth glimpses aside, the most interesting character that is developing is the Asgard! ;)

BSG really laid the ground work out for several story lines with characters now on Kobol, New Caprica, and of course in the fleet. The writers have a tough choice in front of them, especially with a major character like Starbuck on New Carprica, in how will they handle the various arcs -- Will they continue to have them be independent of each of other or will the three lines diverge back into one again.

Of the three shows BSG is definitely the one that is expanding the most.

From Scifi.com

Galactica Will Encounter Pegasus

David Eick, co-creator and executive producer of SCI FI Channel's original series Battlestar Galactica, offered SCI FI Wire a few more details about the introduction of the Battlestar Pegasus, a returning element from the original series, which co-creator Ronald D. Moore revealed in a panel at Comic-Con International in San Diego. "This really came out of a conversation Ron and I had early on about the episodes we had seen of the original show and what felt like they might be well served by a fresh interpretation," Eick said in an interview. He added: "The storyline that we thought was interesting was the Battlestar Pegasus. And so, naturally, we put a pretty unexpected and, I think, pretty subversive spin on it. But it's definitely going to be a fixture for a while." The Pegasus appears beginning in the 10th episode of the second season.

The arrival of the Pegasus will launch a complex story arc inspired by current events, Eick said. "It stands to reason that in a show that's all about how we're all trying to survive this horrific attack by this inhuman enemy, that the thing that we're really exploring is not that threat from without, but how it turns itself inward and how it becomes insidious and internal, and how it begins to break us down from inside ourselves," he said. "And what better way to take that idea to the next level than to introduce another human being who, on the face of it, is going to help us defeat the Cylons, defeat that third outside enemy, once and for all, but in reality serves to only remind us once again that the biggest enemy is really us?"

Eick also hinted that the Pegasus will be involved in a multi-episode arc, though its crew may not be around as long. "It's not going to go away as quickly as people might think," he said. "That's not to say that the folks involved in bringing the Pegasus to us are going to remain indefinitely. But for sure it's going to be a fixture for some time." Battlestar Galactica airs Fridays at 10 p.m. ET/PT.

Sg-1 last fridays episode

Did any one see last fridays episode of stargate sg-1 where Daniel and the female space pirate were at the "land of the gods" or the land of the ori.

what was up with the ori i mean i thought all ancients were good and did not want people to worship them. and not to mention the head priest, the wierd guy with the neck thingy that showed Daniel the fire.

and will the ancients of our galaxy protect us from the ori.

and what is up with General Jack O'niel and carter, when will they be back???????

The Ori are a race of ascended beings that fell out with the normal ascended beings as they wished to give their knowledge and powers benefits to mere mortals. in our galaxy the ascended beings, although not helping out mere mortals at all, had been protecting their subjects from the Ori.

Now because of human usage of the discovered communication device the Ori know we exist and have decided to come convert the lot of us and if we won't convert to their religion then we must be evil and should all die.

welcome to the next and most powerful enemy the galaxy will end up fighting.

... except I think the writers are heading into some areas that they might corner themselves in. Specificly, the reference by Jackson calling the possible conflicts a "crusade" -- Considering the religious nature of the Ori and today's political climates I don't think a crusade is really the best idea in the world.

O'Neil will be only seen a few times in the new season making guest appearances as Richard Dean Anderson no longer a regular cast member. I'm not sure what's up with Carter; Amanda Tapping is still shown in the credits as a regular cast member and I don't recall coming across anything about her doing less shows this season.

SGA's "double consciousness" episode allowed David Hewletts character to show the acting abilities best seen in "Nothing" Nothing (2003) - IMDb

unfortunately SGA is a family show, so the theme couldn't be carried on further and more complex. even so, some of the scenes could confuse younger viewers with it's hints of sexuality and two male characters kissing, even though one of them is controlled by a female consciousness right at that time might cause some people to be uncomfortable.

Overall this episode needed movie time and a higher rating to allow for better content, but still proves better script and acting wise than virtually all shows out there. forget the scifi, this show should have prime time wherever it's shown for show quality alone.

BSG is actually maturing! this weeks ep was more fluid and down to earth than others have been. the characters are actually seeming real, even the cylon infiltrators. Love was a main theme throughout, with the relationships that developed between characters during these two seasons having a great effect on their judgement and actions.

for a while i thought i was starting to blur over the small failings in filming but i think it's actually become a better program. i think i'd better go have a good google around the forums and scifi.com and see if theres any mention of staff changes on the scripting/filming that could be resonsible for the good run this season

SG1 was a filler this week. trying to decide if it's displaying claudia blacks character in more detail for the sake of a filler or preparing the way for her joinging the team fulltime.

not exactly why they would want her considering they would have to lock away anything not nailed down and they are going to have enough on there hands with the Ori let alone everyone she's miffed off in her travels!

With Claudia Black it'll be interesting to see for how long now her character will be around for with her & Jackson being linked like that.

SG-13, welcome to Cool SciFi! :welcome:

Happen to catch what the status of Amanda Tapping (Carter) is?

KW802 said:
Happen to catch what the status of Amanda Tapping (Carter) is?

Amanda Tapping is pregnant, so I guess they will have to shoot around this, I have seen her, she is tall but very thin so I guess this could be a problem.

Another problem could be her relationship with RDA; he is going into semi-retirement. This romance should take her out of any other possible relationships. Carter is the only attractive woman on this show, kind of limits her characters potential.

Another problem is the ratings, Stargate SG1 was the lowest show on Scifi Friday night line-up, it is doing better than Battlestar Galactica is now.
http://www.gateworld.net/news/2005/08/tiestiespreviousweeksratin.shtml

Still will NBC/Universal pay the competition MGM for two shows?

Just a few observations................

Back