SG1, SGA and BSG : 2005 season discussion thread

qufm61a, welcome to Cool SciFi! :welcome:

qufm61A said:
Amanda Tapping is pregnant, so I guess they will have to shoot around this, I have seen her, she is tall but very thin so I guess this could be a problem.
Ah, I either didn't know that or forgot that. :P That explains the abscence but still credited as a regular cast member.

qufm61A said:
Another problem could be her relationship with RDA; he is going into semi-retirement. This romance should take her out of any other possible relationships. Carter is the only attractive woman on this show, kind of limits her characters potential.
Well, with the (possible) addition of Claudia Black and also of Lexxa Doig I think some others may disagree about that but story line wise she was the 'brains' of the show and so far this season there are no new characters to step into that role.

qufm61A said:
Still will NBC/Universal pay the competition MGM for two shows?
Friday night is still the Sci-Fi Channel's leading night so at least for the forseeable future I don't think they'll take the chance of messing with it. With ratings, what I'd be curious about is how NBC's experiment of showing BSG on the parent NBC channel turned out.

qufm61a, welcome to Cool SciFi!

Thank you, glad to be here!

Friday night is still the Scifi Channel's leading night so at least for the foreseeable future I don't think they'll take the chance of messing with it. With ratings, what I'd be curious about is how NBC's experiment of showing BSG on the parent NBC channel turned out.

Battlestar Galactica on NBC tanked in the ratings, It was on twice, the first time WB won that time slot. On The Scifi Channel, Battlestar Galactica is losing viewers. It is hard to follow if you miss a few episodes, this reminds me of Farscape. Except it is a in house production of NBC/Universal/USA/Scifi.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2005/07/isg-1iratingssteadywithava.shtml

From Gateworld

SG-1 ratings steady with 'Avalon, Part 2'

WEDNESDAY - JULY 27, 2005

Stargate SG-1's ratings held steady in Season Nine's second week, with "Avalon, Part 2" earning a 2.1 average household rating. But viewership for lead-out series Stargate Atlantis and Battlestar Galactica fell from their season premieres, with SCI FI Friday's anchor show suffering a significant drop.

Stargate SG-1 led off the night once again in the 8 p.m. Eastern/Pacific time slot. The second installment of the 3-part premiere drew more than 2.6 million viewers with the 2.1 rating, holding on to viewership from the season premiere.

The Stargate Atlantis episode "The Intruder" earned a 2.0 rating at 9 p.m., down 10 percent from last week's premiere.

At 10 p.m. Battlestar Galactica suffered a 23 percent drop-off from last week's highly publicized and widely reviewed season premiere. The episode "Valley of Darkness" held its lead-in audience for a 2.0 household rating. It is the lowest rating to date for the series, which premiered in January.

The three series earned ratings of 1.2 (SG-1), 0.9 (Atlantis), and 0.7 (Galactica) for their late-night reruns.

At least my favorite Stargate SG-1 is doing well, I hope Season Nine begets Season Ten.

SG1 - we've just seen how devious the Ori can be in this episode. blighting a whole community with some disease the earthers couldn't heal, getting the locals to join the Ori religion and then being healed (even the dead one(s) suddenly became healthy again!)

feasibly theres no way earth could combat this menace. religion and mysticism must take a greater part in this storyline. the ascendants will have to step in at some point, probably too late, once a lot of people have turned their backs on the earthers.

claudia black is fighting her corner to stay in the team, but it's not a soap we are watching. the decisions on who stays and who leaves have already been made, filmed and on stock ready to broadcast. it's almost like her please are going out to the audience and not the heirarchy. we will see, probably better she stays with the series fulltime, although it appears sam carter is back for next week, as part of the team.

BSG - that whole baby factory thing was disturbing, but also opened a weakness in the cylons. a third of the fleet splitting off on religious grounds mirrors the cylons own religious doubts on themselves regarding procreation capabilities. Adama is an emotional shadow of his former self now he's back in charge, telling the chief he will see his girlfriend again "there are many copies" and we know that another copy, that saved the humans on their home planet and aided starbucks escape from the baby factory herself (and that "minor" surgery is going to be an added complication to her tale) that other copy will indeed be with the fleet next episode, fighting her corner.

if the cylons are in fact so close to their religion, i think we are going to see a few of them coming over to the side of humans, since they themselves believe they are. a less corny version of "V"'s aliens deciding to rebel against their viscious leaders.

Mr Destructo said:
BSG - that whole baby factory thing was disturbing, but also opened a weakness in the Cylons. a third of the fleet splitting off on religious grounds mirrors the Cylons own religious doubts on themselves regarding procreation capabilities. Adama is an emotional shadow of his former self now he's back in charge, telling the chief he will see his girlfriend again "there are many copies" and we know that another copy, that saved the humans on their home planet and aided Starbucks escape from the baby factory herself (and that "minor" surgery is going to be an added complication to her tale) that other copy will indeed be with the fleet next episode, fighting her corner.

This entire baby factory thing is a great big plot hole, why did the Cylon's think God punished them? It has only been 40 years since the Cylon's and Humans had an armistice. Did this just happen to the Cylon’s, nobody knows because it was never explained it just happened. This is starting to look like "Mars Needs our Women", instead of cutting edge science fiction.

When on Cylon died their consciousness was instantly put in another model, so what happened to them? Ron Moore left this out, go figure?

The 1/3 of the Colonial Fleet did not spit off on religious grounds, it was President Rosalyn, Captain Lee and that slimy opportunist Zarek, leading a rebellion against that Coup by ham fisted Col. Tigh and his Martial law.

SG1's hard scifi comes out of the cupboard as a nice surprise welcoming in the return of Sam Carter. the large gate the Ori were trying to create pwered by the singularilty resulting from destroying the beachhead planet was a great storyline. I assume things will be a little more serious now the team have "sent a message" to the Ori, that's gotta hurt, sending Miss Motormouth on her way into their galaxy, even if it happened when she uncharacteristically plays the heroine.

SGA was a filler really. i know, lets introduce the chance of greater technology and bung in a friend of a new character and the fact he still has people from home around.

BSG, the story is now complicated, each and every episode. if you miss it one week you are going to be in serious trouble the week after trying to figure out what the hell is going on!

Battle star galactica

I think that the new Battle star galactica is the best show on sci fi friday i hope that it wins award for drama and sci fi shows and the uk theme song for the show (the one with female voices ) is so cool i am in love this show what do umy fello sci fi fans think comments please and does any one think that boltar will turn sides and help the cylons and what is up with the baby he is suposed to have with that cylon chick and i hope bill odama does not die and forgives lee odama please reply

How to make a dangerous enemy even more lethal?

take a step to the side and bring an ex-goual'd into the picture, all 5 of him!

yes, SG1 changes it's standard theme as it entwines a current topic of conversation, cloning, into the picture. we've all seen the media attention gained from the release of The Island, in the UK a lot of filming at the premiere talking to the stars attending the screening covered the stars personal views on cloning. the recent law changes and discussion about global use of cloning is more prevalent in our society.

with the Jaffa falling out with Earth we see any organised defence against the Ori looking less strong and comprehensive. The agression of the Jaffa's new leadership is extreme and possibly going to lead to their own fall.

i like the storyline covering a previous enemy, the media and "retirement" on Earth. having just watched the first season of Charlie Jade the corporate entanglements and risk (unseen) to the general populous in an environment much like which we interact with every day ourselves! it gives flavour to a story, merges the real with the scifi

I don't think Charlie Jade is airing over here yet..... I'll have to track down a viewing copy one of these days.

For next week's BSG, if anybody thinks the reporter looks familiar but can't quite place why..... that's Lucy Lawless of Xena: Princess Warrior fame.

just watched SGA and the ending was more abrupt my local television transmitter getting struck by lightning!!

we are placed on a world without introduction, without really knowing anything more than guesswork and clues in scenes as to level of technology. each time we come across groups of humanity living like this i keep expecting them to talk like they come from Devon (county in England)

old science, new science (RNA rears it's ugly head!) slot some running through the canadian forests and a few scenes of wraith jumping out of trees and this isn't the best episode we've seen so far, by a long stretch!

no episodes tonight! 2nd sept 2005 (automerge hell!)apparently theres instead a 6 episode marathon of viewer voting "best of SG1" so withdrawl will set in till this breaks over

I can safely say I haven't watched any of the last season...as I'm waiting for it to come on DVD. My wife and I have found it much more enjoyable to watch the shows commercial free and back-to-back whether than wait a week to see what happens next.

I have to admit, being an Atlantis enthusiast, I did enjoy Stargate: Atlantis. I look forward to getting the first season on DVD as well.

just watched this weeks BSG (nothing on last week due to labour day? whats that? a day when you aren't at work and have loads of free time then find your favourite programming isn't on that night?"

hard to recognise Lucy Lawless with that original accent of hers! a better filmed storyline than, say, the two episodes of Babylon 5 where a similar storyline was used.

and i liked the twists near the end, superimposing the original BSG series' theme tune over the reporters broadcast, then just as your cheecks flush and your mouth turns up in a little smile, the home theatre setting of the cylons comes in with their, as usual, confusing atitudes. broken is your happy mood, broken into utter confusion and thoughts zipping round your head.

SGA produced a hard scifi story this time round that is worth remembering. although the main character maybe should have been sent after the eggs they needed for treatment at an earlier time, or at least extended that particular scene, expanding the altered human thinking he would have been going through.

SG1, not a filler, some vague plot line buildup with a bit of character development to ensure we lockin to Col Mitchell's character more, just in case people were still sat there tuting and comparing him badly to RDA's ex-leader of the team. The "lost" jaffa show promise as warriors, i hope their reputation and solid way of life can be used to push out the violent leadership

be aware everyone, that next week we see 2 eps of season 9, including the season finale, followed by one episode of BSG (yes, there is no mention of SGA in there at all)

Episode 9 - Prototype
Air Date: September 16, 2005
SG-1 finds a genetically advanced Goa'uld-human hybrid (the first of an elite warrior race conceived by Anubis), and must decide his fate.

909.jpg

Episode 10 - The Fourth Horseman (Part One)
Air Date: September 16, 2005
The Ori unleash a deadly plague on Earth, prompting a powerful ally from SG-1's past to come to their aide.

910.jpg

short quicktime trailer covering eps 9 and 10 here :

Stargate SG-1 | Episode 909/910 Teaser

Well, the characters of BSG has yet another female cylon abourt the Galactica. I like the portrayal of the human side of the Galactica's crew, but could not the writer's at least have a male cylon this time.

Oh, I really liked the Black Bird. That viper variant rocks. It has sleek lines, and I thought the stealth capability was neat. I wonder if Adama will commission more to be built? We will see.

I am excited about the Pegasus's return next week. I was wondering if Commander Cain will have a daughter like the original series and if Apollo will fall for her?

Trooper
www.ssarend.com/

we're looking at one more episode of BSG and a double of SGA now, before the summer break airing has us fumbling with our remotes surfing channels and finding nothing in shock.

23rd september SGA double and BSG single episode air

Back