Shadow of Deceit

Title: Shadow of Deceit

Authors: phoenix shotgun 47 (Kay) and Sydney Bristow, CIA (Lauren)

Rating: PG-13

Genre: Drama

Disclaimer: We don’t own Alias. Sydney, Vaughn, etc. are properties of J.J. Abrams and ABC.

Summary: When six-year-old Sydney Bristow and Laura Bristow die in a fatal car accident, they leave Nadia and Jack Bristow behind. But deceptions make their way to the surface, and everything that has happened is doubted...

Thanks to Jess (Michael_Vartan_Hottie) for betaing this :hug:

<O> <O> <O> <O> <O>

Chapter One: The Beginning

As Jack Bristow stepped out of his black Jaguar and onto the perfect green grass of his front lawn, he couldn’t help but smile. After a week-long business trip, he was finally home. A single tree stood in the corner of the lawn, but the pristinely cut grass beneath it was spotless of leaves.

When he walked into the house, he took a sharp left into his office, placing his briefcase safely on the desk. He slipped off his suit jacket and dropped it onto the chair. Smelling the air, he knew that his wife was cooking her special spaghetti and meat balls in celebration of him coming home.

As he was loosening his tie, he heard the distant sound of small feet pounding against the hardwood floor.

“Daddy!” The little voice shrieked, her pigtails swishing as she ran to her father, wrapping her short arms around his legs.

Jack smiled and bent down, pulling his 6 year old daughter, Sydney, into his arms. “How’s my gorgeous little princess?” He asked, placing a soft kiss on her forehead.

“Good,” She responded. “Daddy, you missed Christmas again.” Sydney said quietly a look of sadness flashing in her eyes.

Jack felt a pang of guilt stab through his heart. There was no way that he could explain to his innocent child that he had missed Christmas because he was on a mission for the CIA.

“I’m so sorry sweetheart.” He replied. “But I’ve got a present for you.”

The little girl’s solemn expression immediately changed to an excited smile. She giggled and began to squirm in Jack’s arms expectantly. He laughed, picking up the small box he had wrapped the night before on the flight home.

Jack gently put her back on the ground before giving her the box. She tore off the wrapping paper eagerly, shreds of green paper with candy canes covering the floor.

Her small fingers slowly opened up the velvet box. Her eyes widened.

There was a beautiful sterling silver heart shaped locket. The words “I Love You” were delicately engraved in elegant cursive.

“See, I put a picture of me and your mom in here.” Jack said, showing her how to open the locket. Inside there was a picture of a smiling Jack and Laura Bristow on the day they were married. “That way, we’ll always be with you.”

“Thanks you daddy.” Sydney beamed, hugging her father’s neck tightly. “Can you put it on me, please?”

“Sure sweetheart.” Jack smiled, putting the necklace around her neck. “You look beautiful.” He said, glancing up. He saw his wife standing in the doorway, gazing at them lovingly. He picked Sydney back up and walked to the doorway.

“You’re home.” Laura said, playing with the color of his blue oxford shirt.

“Yup.” Jack replied, kissing his wife tenderly.

“Look what daddy got me!” Sydney exclaimed, pointing at the necklace. As she moved, Jack winced. She had hit the bruise in his side.

Laura noticed the slight change in Jack’s posture. “Sydney sweetie, why don’t you go play the piano so Daddy can hear the new song you learned.

“Ok.” Sydney jumped down and ran into the living room.

“Are you ok?” Laura asked quietly, reaching over to touch his side. He cringed slightly.

“I’ll be fine.” Jack replied as the sweet sounds of “Dolly’s Dreaming” reached his ears.

“So the mission went well?” Laura questioned.

“Yeah.” Jack sighed. “She’s getting really good isn’t she.” his gaze fixed on his eldest daughter. “I’ve missed so much.”

“Jack.” Laura’s hand reached up and caressed his cheek.

Before she could say more, Nadia shuffled into the room, holding a stuffed bear and sucking her thumb. She walked over to Jack and tugged at his pant leg. Jack picked her up and began swaying to the music, following Irina as she moved into the next room to watch Sydney.

“Hi daddy.” Nadia said, resting her head on her father’s chest.

“Hi angel.” Jack said, kissing her black hair.

“Do you have a present for me?” She asked, her eyes shining with hope.

Jack pulled out another box and handed it to his daughter. Setting her down on the couch, he watched her rip open the box to find a small stuffed penguin. She hugged it enthusiastically before looking up at her father.

“Thanks daddy. We missed you.” She leaned over and placed a small kiss on his cheek before running over to show Sydney her knew toy.

“Mommy?” Sydney asked sweetly as Laura was making dinner. “Since daddy’s back, do you think we could get a movie to celebrate?”

Laura glanced down at her smiling daughter and then over to her husband.

“Sure sweetheart.” Jack said. It was the least he could do to make up for Christmas. “Get your coat and we’ll go to the store.

“No daddy.” Sydney said quickly. “You have to stay here. I want the movie to be a surprise.”

Laura laughed. “Ok. Come on Sydney, I’ll take you to the store. Do you want to come Nadia?”

The little girl shook her head and continued drawing a picture of her new penguin.

Laura kissed her husband and daughter goodbye. “Ok then, we’ll be back in a little while. Please don’t burn the dinner.” She teased as she grabbed her car keys and led Sydney out the door.

Jack smiled, picking up the spoon and stirring the spaghetti sauce.

<O> <O> <O> <O> <O>

Three hours later and after a dozen phone calls, Laura and Sydney still hadn’t returned from the store. After feeding Nadia and putting her to bed, he stood in his dimly lit office, pacing impatiently. Where could they be?

He was so caught up in his thoughts that the ringing of the door bell made him jump. He rushed to the door quickly, flinging it open. Just as he feared 3 police men stood on the other side.

“Jack Bristow?” The tall old officer with a rather large stomach asked in a Southern drawl.

“Yes. Is this about my wife and daughter? Do you know where they are?” Jack asked frantically, all of the calmness and composure he had learned as an agent gone.

“Sir you might want to sit down.” The shorter blonde man remarked.

Jack led them in and sat down in the living room.

“Late tonight we got a call about an accident over on Pantano Bridge. We believe that a drunk driver hit your wife’s car. She tried to stop but the car skidded on the ice and went over the rails, into the river. It took us awhile to get the car out of the water. The recent rains have turned it into a monster. We’re sorry but… we couldn’t locate any bodies. We believe that they were swept away.” The man said gravely.

Jack didn’t breath. He couldn’t move. He felt like his heart and soul had just been torn out of his body and thrown into the icy river as well.

The men kept on talking, filling in some of the details, but he was barely listening. A small voice finally brought him back to reality.

“Daddy?” Nadia walked in hesitantly, carrying her penguin and sucking her thumb. “Where’s mommy and Syddie?”

Jack felt his throat close up. “I need you to be brave right now Nadia.” He whispered, leaning down to look his daughter in the eye. “Your mother and sister… they won’t be coming back.” Nadia only stared at him with her quiet dark eyes. “They… they’re… they’re dead.” He choked out. Nadia still said nothing, but moved forward and put her arms around her father’s shoulders.

<O> <O> <O> <O> <O>

As Jack walked out of the church, all he could feel was the slight warmth emanating from his daughter’s hand that was tightly clutching his. The rest of his body felt numb, as if he really wasn’t there. The last few days had pasted by in a blur of sobbing, alcohol, and the occasional visits from friends and relatives.

The police had never recovered the bodies, so they had a memorial service instead of a funeral. But seeing pictures of his daughter and wife, imagining them still alive, was too much for him.

Jack looked up into the sky, willing himself not to break down in tears again. The sun’s bright rays danced across the horizon, casting a warm blissful glow on the surrounding trees. Jack felt like screaming. This was a funeral! It should be raining and thundering and dark and gloomy! There was nothing bright and sunny about today.

It took all of his strength to stop from driving back to his house and drinking himself back into oblivion.

While Jack wallowed in his grief, trying to pull himself together for his only daughter, he was unaware that he was being watched.

Across the street, in a large white van, a man had a pair of binoculars trained on the successful CIA agent. He watched silently, taking a careful assessment, before starting the car and driving away to report to his superiors.

It had worked.

<O> <O> <O> <O> <O>

So it appears the KGB not only extracted Irina but they took Sydney too. That could be interesting...Sydney growing up under the KGB's influence.

Thanks for the PM.

Chris

OMG! How come you leave us with so many cliffys! now do us a favor and update losing sydney! this was really awesome and keep pming me!

nads
i did have the next chapter of losing sydney written... but then i decided i didn't like it and went with another idea... so if i get inspired... and if i figure out where i'm going with the story... you might have an update this week. :D

but i do have the sequel to surviving without you practically ready to post...

This is a good start. It does leave quite a lot to discover. Can I get a pm when you update? Thanks! It should be interesting having Syd grow up being Nadia's enemy!

oh my god i love this story... it is my fave type...

the irina took sydney type!!!

please please please update soon!!!!!!!

cos if you dont i will go mad!!!!

oh and when you do can you please pm me???

thanks,
ABV

OMG! This is the first part of this fic and I'm already exicted how this is going on. So Sydney will be grow up with Irina and KGB, won't she? This is gonna be interesting! And Nadia will grow up with Spydaddy Jack.

Please, please, you two have to update soon! It's too good! Can't wait for more.

This is good story. I'd love to see when the two sisters meet in the future.

Please add me to your PM lists.

Thanks

Thanks much for the pm!!!

Oooo, are Syd and Irina going to be bad next time they all meet?

I wonder if Syd is going to meet up with Vaughn and they fall in love even though she is evil!! You can see where my mind is!!

Update soon!!

This sounds good...
I'm guessing that Syd and Laura are still alive, and Syd at least will resurface in the future and Jack will know it is her from the locket...
Thanks for the pm...
keep me on the list please.

Chapter Two
*17 years later*​

“We've recently received intel on a group who, for the past twenty years, we thought was a myth.” Jack Bristow paced in front of a long table inside the conference room. Outside the building, Los Angeles was sweltering in 90+ degree heat, and inside the CIA's division building it wasn't much better. The air hadn't been working properly and everyone had shed their jackets, ties, and coats hours ago. Everyone except Jack, who was stubbornly sweating the heat out under a sports coat and a silk tie, though his appearance didn't look as sharply cut as it normally did. His gray hair, normally neat and slightly wavy, was plastered against his head and slightly mussed, as Jack kept running his hands through it impatiently. But his green eyes were intense and sharp as ever as he moved around the room. “We haven't found out yet who is in charge of this group, but we have identified several members.”

Jack paused before sliding thick folders to his companions in the room. The man on his left was tall, even sitting down, and his dark skin shone with sweat, his top collar button undone. Marcus Dixon pulled the folder to him and opened it, studying the contents with hard eyes, but not speaking yet. Next to Dixon was a young man, in his mid-20s. His name was Michael Vaughn, and he had been with the CIA for a few years already, but he had only recently been promoted as field officer. He had been quite successful on the missions he had been on, many believed that he was soon going to become one of the agency’s top agents. His thin face sported a stubble beard, and his light green eyes were focused on the folder which he had just opened with calloused hands. His brow seemed to be furrowed all the time, and now it was even more so. He looked up at Jack as he spoke, then back to the folder.

Jack clicked a button on the remote control he held in his hand and a face appeared on the screen. It was of a woman, and even though the black and white picture was slightly fuzzy, there was no mistaking the malicious look in her eyes. Her hair was long, slightly wavy, and her skin dark. Her eyes glared back at them all and there was a hint of a smile on her lips, as if she knew of the horror and destruction that she had created.

“This is the person in charge of this organization. Her name is Irina Derevko.” He paused, but continued a second later, and no one detected the slight change in his voice. It had hardened slightly, but he was able to hid it. “For what we know of her, she worked for the KGB, a Russian organization, and she is one of the most dangerous agents in the field today. Not much has come to us about her, but we know that we can't let her continue.” He moved over and paused again.

“Derevko has taken command of this agency and she seems to be gaining more allies every day. But she is deadly, as I have mentioned, and won't stop at anything to achieve her endgame.”

“What is her endgame?” Vaughn asked immediately.

“Unfortunately, we don't know,” Jack replied, nodding at Vaughn. “What we do know is that she has several agents captured and if she gets her way, they will not survive.” he paused again. He didn't know whether to proceed...

A few days ago, a contact had alerted Jack to Irina Derevko's involvement in a foreign group that was intent on achieving an endgame...but no one knew what that was. When Jack saw the first photo of Derevko, he nearly passed out, a very un-Jack Bristow-like reaction. He had seen this woman before. Taking a copy of the picture home with him, he rummaged for hours before he found it. A wedding picture...he held the picture of Derevko up next to the picture of himself and his young bride. Except for twenty-five years difference, the women were identical. It wasn't Irina Derevko, or at least that wasn't her name as he knew it. It was his wife, Laura. She hadn't died. What he could come up with in the following days, was that she had faked her death, joined the KGB, and then created this alliance of enemies. Why she had done this was beyond him, but he was surprised at how quickly he had dismissed her. She was an enemy now.

That wasn't the end of the story. His connection had also provided him with pictures of all of Derevko's agents, or all the agents that they knew of. He had gone through every single one, slowly, methodically, memorizing their names, stats, photos...until he came upon one. It gave him the biggest shock of his life, bigger than when he had first seen Laura's picture. It was a photo of a young woman, early 20s, one of the few colour photos he had. Her hair, shoulder length and straight, was dirty blonde, and her eyes, sharp and intelligent, were dark brown. Her face was serious, but even then he could detect a hint of dimples on her cheeks. What he was shocked about was how much she resembled Irina Derevko. Which means she would resemble Laura...it couldn't be. Again, his dusty photo album came out, and he flipped the pages hastily until he found a picture of a group of people. It took him a few minutes to be able to look at that photo, for it was one of the last ones taken before his wife and daughter had perished in the accident. Finally, he was able to look. Himself, Laura and two young girls. The younger girl was about three years old, but able to stand by herself. Her hair was black and her skin dark, suggesting a South American heritage, his youngest daughter, Nadia. Next to her was her sister of six, whose hair was brown and long and straight, and her eyes held the same intensity. He blinked back tears as he looked at Sydney, his precious daughter.

Jack hadn't wasted any time. He immediately gone to one of his agents within the CIA who specialized in creating images from pictures that were years, even decades old. As Jack had requested, he had created an image of Sydney as she would look today. Again, he could barely bring himself to look over at the photo. It was frightening how much his daughter would have looked like her mother...he compared the image to the picture of the agent working for Derevko. It was a perfect match. It was his daughter. Which meant that she was working with Derevko, working for the same drastic and horrible outcome. But it was his daughter. And he had to save her. In his heart, he thought that Sydney wouldn't turn. She wouldn't be like her mother, evil, possessive. He had to extract her. But he couldn't let his agency know that she was working for Derevko. From then on, Sydney became one of Irina's hostages, an agent they had to save.

“The agent whom we have been instructed to save goes by the name Julia Thorne. She was born and raised in the United States, but was kidnapped and taken overseas to be raised a spy. From what we've heard, she's one of the best spies in the world and has succeeded at many operations. She's being held against her will, however and she is an American, and must be saved.” He took a breath. “We've received word that Derevko and her agents are making a move in Australia to capture some diplomats. We're going to interrupt their plans and extract Throne. Vaughn, Weiss, you'll be heading this operation.”

A man on the right of Jack looked up briefly before retuning his gaze to the pages in the folder. Eric Weiss was a well-set young man with dark eyes and dark hair and mustache. He was immensely intelligent, and had been working with the agency for several years. Next to him sat a young woman with long dark hair that was pulled back in a half ponytail. She went by the name of Nadia. Her dark brown eyes were intently focused on her father, Jack. Her full lips were pursed in concentration as she listened.

“We've planned extraction when they are in Ballarat, North Victoria. We've gotten you into the same party that they will be attending. There you will identify Thorne and get her out of there. Remember, Derevko will most likely be there, or be watching, so you must go in and out with Thorne unidentified and unnoticed. Wheels up in an hour. That's all.” Jack clicked off the monitor as the agents around him rose to leave. “Nadia, stay back a moment.”

As the others left the room, Nadia closed her folder and stood up. Jack waited until everyone was out of the room before addressing his daughter. “Nadia, there's something I have to tell you.” He paused briefly, watching her, but she didn't say anything. He sighed. “There's something I didn't tell everyone about the people in that group. It's called Prophet Five and it is one of the most dangerous groups we have gone up against.”

Nadia's eyebrows wrinkled in confusion. “Why didn't you tell everyone else this?”

Jack shook his head. “Just listen.”

Back