~Shadow of Deception~

Title: ~Shadow of Deception~
Author: Kristina AKA: spy41
Genre: Romance, humor, Angst
Summary: Basically, Vaughn applies for the CIA, gets the job, meets Syd and Weiss and a few others that he gets to know, kinda like the recruit.
Disclaimer: I don't own alias, i do own a life size Vaughn clone...lol. a girl could dream. I don't own "The Recruit" either, but i do own the characters i make up...their mine!!! MUHAAA!! all mine!! Okay, i'm scaring myseld, so just read!

~Shadow of Deception~
~Part 1~

~Bathroom Rendezvous~

It's funny how your life can change so much due to one decision, how you can suddenly go from being normal to well...not. The thing i hate the most about decisions is the fact that you can make so many, lets face it, everyone comes to a point in their life where they absoluetly have to make a choice. Wheater it's going out with your friends on a saturday night and getting drunk, or staying home and studying for the big mid-term on monday, or wheater you decided to call your mother to see how she's doing or just be lazy and watch tv on your couch as you throw down a beer and potato chips. Every choice you make changes a part of history, every thought you have, every move you make, every person you meet. I don't beleive in fate, at least not in the sense that it controls your life. You decide what you're going to do tomorrow, not your mom, not your friend, not god...you. I learned a little about this....i learned when i applied for a position with the CIA. I don't know what i was thinking, i don't know why i did it, maybe i thought it would just be fun, i'd get to travel the world, i'd be dangerous, i'd be someone other than who i am. What i didn't know, is that behind this decision, was a conspiracy.

~~~~~~~~~~

I stand on the ice, holding my stick in my hand ready for the puck that's about to be fed to me. It's over-time and if i make this shot UCLA wins the playoffs, advancing us to the finals. This is another one of those decisions. I have two choices. I can shoot to the upper right corner, which isn't my strenght, or to the lower left, which would be easier for USF goalie to block, it was my choice and i have to make it. Everything seems to move in slow motion around me, i look at the guy next to me briefly, and i see the anticipation in his eyes. He knows as well as i do that this is it, it's all up to me. The puck comes near me and without anytime to think i shoot, and of course, it goes in with such ease that i'm not aware of the buzzer that's sounding or the fact that the entire arena is on it's feet shouting my last name. I look to my right to see my team mates skating toward me, gloves and helmets are thrown in the air and i'm tackled to the ice, a dog pile formed in the middle of the rink as the crowd still goes wild. I'm to shocked to think, to shocked to feel, to shocked to even realize what we've just accomplished. We, as in our team. I'm not a selfish person, i wouldn't be as good as i am without these guys by my side helping me through every game and practice, they are my brothers, they are my friends, we are a team, and we just won the freakin playoffs. About fiften minutes later after interviews and pictures we head off toward the locker room i'm in the front of the line as we walk off the ice, and i can't help but smile, knowing how proud my father would have been right now. A few guys pat me on the back and tell me 'you the man' and i laugh, because for the first time in my life i feel important, i feel like i've actually done something useful, i've not only made my team proud, but also my school.

"Yo, so Mike, we're all going to The Corner Pocket after we get showered and s***, you comin'?" Frank says to me.

I've known Frank since Freshman year, he came from New York. I sometimes wonder why he's not in football, because he looks like a freakin' linebacker. We call him the 'freight train', he's put so many guys into the wall that guy's try to stay away from him as much as possible.

"You'd think i miss it?" I asked him with a smile, nothing can bring me down from this high that i'm on.

"Cool man, just try not to act too cool, i need to get some phone numbers tonight, i know last time you came home with a whole roledex." He says. I shake my head and laugh, the guy cracks me up. I stop laughing when i see a man standing at the end of the hallway, dressed in a black suit with black sunglasses, and somehow i can tell he's looking straight at me. The guy's don't seem to notice him until we get closer, the man speaks.

"Michael Vaughn?" He asks in a steady voice. I look at my buddies then nod.

"That's me." I tell him, unsure as to who is is or why he's asking.

"I'd like to have a word with you in private." The man says, it's more of an order than a question. The way he spoke sort of creeeped me out, not in a way where i thought he was a threat, but in a way that made me just uneasy.

"Sure." I say. I walk with him as we head down the hall.

"Forgot to pay your taxes again Vaughn!?" The guys tease. I metally make a note to kick their a**es when i get back. He leads me down a hall and we stop at the bathroom door. He turns and faces me and just stand there, and i'm confused at what to do next. He opens the door with one arm and looks at me.

"Inside." He says. I hesitate at first, not knowing why the hell this guy wants to get me in a bathroom alone, but he's really starting to creep me out. I step inside and look around as he closes the door and locks it. That really gets me on edge.

"Woah!! Wait a minute. I don't what you had in mind but...." He reaches inside his jacket and i swallow hard and back away slightly. I'm realeved when i see him pull out a leather wallet.

"Mr. Vaughn, my name is Agent Johnson, i'm with the Central Intelligence Agency." he says. I think my mouth drops a little because he raises an eyebrow.

"Why do you act so surpirsed Mr. Vaughn, you did apply for a position with us, did you not?" He asks. His sunglasses are still on and it bothers me, the guy looks like he came out of a 'Men In Black' movie, he's tense and he's very blunt.

"Yeah...I....I applied, why?" I ask, if i wasn't so shocked i probably would have stuffed my head in a toilet and flused it after saying that. This guy must think i'm a complete idiot right now. He sighs.

"You've been chosen out of 2,000 applicants in the state of California to take a placement test at CIA headquarters. If you so chose too, you will be tested mentally first, if you're not what we are looking for then we send you back to your normal life, and you will never speak of this again." He says. My curiousity gets the best of me and i can't help but ask him.

"And what if i pass?" I ask. He pauses for a moment.

"Then, Mr. Vaughn, you will go through physical training at one of our training facilites." He says.

"You mean 'The Farm"?" I ask him. His body language doesn't change, he stands there in perfect form, not faultering or tripping over his words. He really must do this alot.

"I'm not allowed to disclose that information. If you make it through training, then you will graduate and either be passed into the field or work at Langley directly." He says. I cross my arms and sigh, the air conditioner kicks in and it fills the slience tht falls between us.

"What would i tell my coaches, and my teachers?" I ask, curious as to how i was going to get this by them. I couldn't just say 'Hey, i'm joining to CIA, see ya later, have a nice life!'.

"It's already been taken care of, your mother is turmonailly ill and you have to take a leave of absence." He says to me.

"What? You couldn't just say i took a vacation? You have to kill my mother now?" I ask, obviously this guy doens't get out much.

"E-mails will be sent out to your teachers and coaches at 11:45 p.m. tonight. Tomorrow you will take a cab to LAX, a ticket is waiting for you in your name. You will board the plane and sit in your seat, you miss the plane and you're out." He says.

"I didn't think i was even in yet." I say, i know i'm only being a wise a** now.

"You're not." He says.

"Then why...."

"Any more questions? I have another run to make tonight." He says bluntly. I decided to try to get some reaction out of him.

"Yeah, i have one more question." I say. He stands there, his shoulders back, ready to answer.

"Do you ever take off those sun glasses? Because you don't have to worry about UV rays in here, i assure you that...."

"Good day, Mr. Vaughn." he says. He turns around before i can say anything else and walks oout of the bathroom, leaving me standing in the middle of the mens room. And i finally realize how ironic the situation is. I was just asked, by a CIA agent, to join the CIA, and of all places in the bathroom. Something tells me this experiance is going to be very interesting. Very interesting indeed.

Next Chapter: ~Airline Peanuts and Beautiful Women~
*Cough* S/V *cough*

PM List:

!n@$en+
Sydney Bristow 2300844
tunita
mightylittleone
blualoha
syd26
loane
jughelynj
musically83
ChrisM
berry_kyoote_spy88
alias_luver
Alias101Freak
alias_mvjg
frangipani
sexcivaughan14
tunita
Alias Fan Gillian
wanttobew/mv
stargirl591
YoungStarsOwner
German Muse
ashqua
crazyaliaschick

~Airline Peanuts and Beautiful Women~
~Part 2~

I feel a tickling sensation on the sole of my foot and i giggle, yes, giggle, but hey, it's a manly giggle none the less. My foot feels warm and wet and i smile.

"Um....stop it...that tickles." I say groggy. I hear a whimper and i feel the weight of something moving up the bed. Opening my eyes i see my American Bulldog moving up the bed, coming to rest on what is now 'his' side of the matress, that is after i broke up with my girlfriend a few weeks ago. Turns out she was seeing the mascot on the side, women these days, such players. I look over at the clock but it's blurry, I rub my eyes rather harshly and look at it again. My eyes widening with recognition.

"Sh**!" I yell. I quickly push the covers off of me and get up, tripping over my shoes that i discarded lazily on the floor after coming home drunk the night before. I fall to the ground, flat on my face.

"Umph!" I lay there groaning for a moment and Donavan jumps down from the bed to come and lay in front of me, letting out a whimper he rests his head between his front legs and stares at me. His droppy eyes laughing at me, i can tell he thinks i'm an idiot.

"Thanks, thanks alot." I say as i push myself up from the floor. I rub my shoulder and move it in circle as i limp to the bathroom. I quickly brush my teeth and run to my closet. Taking out my suitcase i throw in a bunch of clothes, not even really caring or noticing that i accidently threw in a red wig i used for hallowen when me and the the guys dressed up as women one year, it was priceless. I throw on a pair of jeans quickly and take a shirt from the floor, bringing it up to my face i smell it and instantly throw it across the room.

"Ugh! Disgusting! It almost smells as bad as you!" I say looking down at Donnie. He barks in response.

"I'm just kidding, simmer down." I say as i zip up the suitcase. I slip on my pair of Nike's and find a clean shirt, slipping it on i grab my watch and wallet and i'm out the door. I know how awful i must lok right now because my neighbor and the girls walking by are staring at me. Suddenly i feel a breeze and realise that i haven't even buttoned my shirt up yet. Which is why the girls are staring at me, but why is Mr. Carlson staring too? I realize i don't have time for questions and i jump in my car. Driving like a complete a** just to get to the airport in order to make my flight. I park my car in the guarded parking lot and take my bag and start to run, i flat out run! People turn to stare but at the moment i don't care, i'm a man on a mission. Man i'm already getting too into this CIA thing.

I stop at one of the entrances and walk up to one of the workers. I try to catch my breath.

"Where...can i...find....terminal....1B?" I ask as i breath heavily. The woman looks at me like i'm crazy.

"Sir, you do know you could have taken the shuttle bus here?" She asks a bit amused. That's the kind of information people should just keep to themselves, because now i feel like a complete idiot.

"1B." I say again. She points to her right and i nod in thanks, seeing as i can't even manage to breath. I once again pick up my bag and start to jog in it's direction. I run towards the automatic doors thinking they'll open fast, but with my luck they don't and i stop myself just in time to keep myslef from running smack dab into them. They finally open and i run inside. I move through the crowd of people and up to the front desk.

"Michael Vaughn." I say. The lady at the front desk has a small smile on her face as she looks at me. I can tell she's laughing inside. She prints out a ticket and hands it to me after checking my ID.

"Take a seat, they'll be boarding soon." She says. This catches my attention.

"What? I thought i was late?" I ask looking around. She shakes her head.

"Sir, the plane was delayed for fueling." She said.

"Next please!" She yells looking past me. I roll my eyes and sigh heavily.

"I can't believe this, i can't freakin believe it." I say to myself as i sit down in one of the chairs, at this point i'm sweating and i thank god for putting on collgne before i came, because otherwise they'd probably have to evacuate the airport and send in a hazmat team. I stretch my legs out in front of me and lean back, closing my eyes. I finally start to relax until i hear someone call my name.

"Vaughn?" A male voice asks. I open my eyes and look around and my eyes land on a guy that looks like carrot-top, the dude in the 1-800-collect commercials.

"Oh no." I whisper.

"Dude! You're Michael Vaughn! No way!! Hey everyone, it's Michael Vaughn!" He yells. People turn to look at me and i slouch down in my chair even more, covering my face with my hand. A chinese tourist sits across from me, a few seats down, taking pictures because she thinks i'm famous.

"Dude, the game was awesome yesterday, totally cool! You should like...like be in the NHL." He says as he comes to sit next to me. I take a deep breath and sit up.

"Thanks...look...."

"Flight 147 to Virginia is now boarding, repeat 147 to Virginia is now boarding." The woman over the intercom says. Saved by the bell ! I stand up and grab my bag.

"That's me, i gotta go." I say as i start walking with the rest of the crowd.

"No way man! Me too!" He says following me. Lord say it isn't so! I can tell i'm going to be spending the whole flight in the bathroom.

"Really, how...ironic." I say.

"Totally!" He says. We get through the security checkpoint and board the plane.

"Yo, i'm gonna use the bathroom, sometimes the take off gives me gas." Carrot-top man says. 'Okay, i really did not need to know that.'

"You do that." I say. I reach up and push my bag into the overhead compartment. I get it in and close the door, turning around i'm in shock when i'm face to face with the most beautiful creature i've ever seen in my life. I just stare at her as she tries to sqeeze by. She looks up into my eyes and smiles at me, and i don't know if i'm even breathing, if there was a heaven, i'm totally in it.

"Excuse me." She says as she slips past me trying to get to her own seat down the narrow asile. I smile back at her and move up against the seats as far as i can to let her through. There is a man standing across from me, trying to get his bag in the overhead compartment as well. He's a larger man and she tries to get by but i think she's too shy to say anything to him. Afraid of sounding rude. So she stands there, almost right up against me, and i know if she stands here any longer i may just never want to move again. I can smell her perfume, 'Ralph' by Ralph Lauren to be exact, and the only reason i know this is because a past girlfriend used to soak herself in it, which made me dispise the smell, but on this girl, it never smelled better. I can see she's getting uncomfortable and i tap the man on the shoulder.

"Excuse me, sir." I say. He turns around, obviously surprised, because his bag slips out of the compartment and starts to fall towards the woman in front of me, and i can tell it's going to take her head of if i don't do something. I quickly put an arm around her and move her out of the way as i try to catch the bag in my other hand. However i'm unsuccessful as it falls to the ground the wheel of the suitcase slaming into my foot. I close my eyes as the pain registers through my body and i hear people shreaking and whispering.

"Oh my god! Are you okay?" I hear her ask. I nod my head but don't open my eyes, because i can feel the hot tears under my eye lids. I turn away from everyone quickly and wipe at my eyes then move off to the bathroom. Feeling my way around with one hand because my eyes are blurry, i then feel an arm around my waist and someone guiding me away from the wall i was about to bump into.

"Here." She tells me. She sits me down in the front where no one is and i instantly slouch forward bouncing my leg up and down and biting my lip, trying to deal with the pain i'm in right now.

"Are you sure you're okay?" She asks as she puts a hand on my back. I don't answer the question.

"What in the heck does he have in that suitcase, bricks or something?" I ask. She laughs slightly and i look at her.

"Sorry, not funny." She says. I let out a small pained smile.

"Do you want ice or something?" She asks looking down at my foot. I sigh.

"No, i'll be fine." I say as i finally suck it up, my foot is now throbbing but i deal with it. I sit back into the seat and lay my head on the head rest. She sits there next to me, and i can feel her staring. I open my eyes and she quickly looks down. I can't help but smile when i see her cheeks become slightly red.

"I'm Michael by the way, Michael Vaughn." I say holding out my hand. She looks up at me and smiles.

"Sydney Bristow." She says shaking my hand. I smile, knowing this trip may not be so bad after all.

:lol: that chapter was so funny!! i'm glad that S/V have finally met. i wonder what Sydney's part in the story is.

wow...this is a really cute story....are Weiss and Syd part of the new recruits, or have they been with the CIA for a while? Can't wait for more...can I get a PM too? Thanks!

Oh God, I hope Carrot-Top isn't going to try for the CIA too. If so, I can just see him asking Vaughn if he'd like to become roomies. :rolleyes: However, with Sydney... :D I think this is going to be a very interesting experience for Vaughn and story.

Please keep me on you PM list for this fic.

Chris

~Mile High Confession~
~Part 3~

"Sydney? Beautiful name." I say. She blushes slightly and i see her adorable dimples once again.

"Thanks." She says. I nod and just as i'm about to ask her why she's going to Virginia i'm rudley interupted.

"Mikey!! Hey man, we have to go sit down, the plane is about to take off." Carrot top says to me. This guy totally cramps my fliriting and i metally roll my eyes. But Sydney looks at him, then at me, seeing the pissed look in my eyes. She tries not to laugh.

"Well, we should probably get to our seats." She says staring at me for a moment. I nod.

"Yeah, right...our seats." I say. It's then that i finally realize how beautiful she really is, i don't think i've ever meet anyone like her before, and she seems friendly on top of that. The one quality i look for in a woman. I don't know how long we're like this but obviosuly carrot top was getting impatient because he interupts once again.

"Hello! Earth to Vaughn! To...to...today junior." He says. And she finally laughs, her eyes light up and she shakes her head. She stands up and i follow her lead. She looks at me for a moment.

"After you." I say. She smiles and turns around. She walks back down the asile to her seat, i limp my way behind her. She sits down and looks up at me as i pass her, going to my own seat. I want to stop but carrot top is so close to me i can feel his breath on the back of my neck, which totally gives me the chills. I sit down in the asile seat, thinking maybe i can make a run for it after he falls asleep, if he even sleeps.

"Please fasten your seatbelts, we will be taking off in 30 seconds." The piolts voice says. The clicks of the seatbelts fastening fills the room and i lean my head back on the seat. As the plane starts to move carrots tops breathing becomes faster and i raise an eyebrow but dare not to look at him. Suddenly i hear the most disgusting thing ever, apparently he wasn't lying, take off does give him gas, and as i look around people are looking at me, like it was me who did it. I roll my eyes and slouch down in my seat slightly. Pulling the collar of my shirt over my nose i close my eyes and try to think of something else to think about other than this sucky situation. Then my eyes fall on her, she sits in her asile seat, her laptop sitting in her lap and she's steadily typing. I can't really read what's on her screen but that's not what really makes me infatuated with her. She strechts her arms slightly and looks back at me, instantly laughing as she sees my shirt over my nose, along with the people around me. Apparently her seat buddy wasn't into flying either, because he ran off to the bathroom as soon as the pilot said they were taking off. The plane is now leveled in the sky and i take off my seatbelt and stand up.

"Where you going?" Carrot top asks. I look down at him.

"I'll be back, just stay here." I tell him. I walk down the asile to where she's sitting and i stop, my shirt is still over my nose when she looks up at me.

"Can i sit with you?" I ask her, i think i'm pleading more than asking. She smiles and moves her legs.

"Sure." She says. I sqeeze by the front of her and sit down in the window seat. Pulling my shirt back down i sigh.

"Ah, fresh uncontaminated air." I say. She laughs and looks back at carrot top, who's now sitting alone.

"So who is that guy anyway?" She asks. I turn my head and look at her.

"Who carrot top?" I ask. She smiles.

"You named him?" She asks amused. I smile.

"You've never seen the 1-800-collect commercials?" I ask her. She laughs.

"I hate those things, they're so annoying." She confesses. I don't disagree with her.

"So who is he?" She asks again. I see she truly is cuious, because he is a very strange person.

"Just some obsessed UCLA fan." I say.

"What's the odds of me being his seat buddy..."

"You go to UCLA?" She asks suddenly. I nod and sit up straight.

"Yep, i'm a senior, i'm on the hockey team." I say.

"No way! I go to UCLA too." She says to my surprise. I can't help but smile when her eyes light up again. How could i have not seen this girl before, she's too beautiful to miss.

"Really? What year?" I ask.

"I'm only a sophmore, unfortunetly." She says rolling her eyes.

"Why unfortunetly?" I ask, wondering why she doens't like school. She shrugs.

"I don't know, it's just, i'm good at school, but i just hate it, i wish it didn't take so long just to get an education." She said.

"I feel like i'm missing out on some things in life, like going out to parties." She says. My smile fades as i think about her words. I knew how she felt, i missed out on my own life. After my father died i was forced to grow up to fast, missing out on my younger years. I feel her staring at me.

"Vaughn, are you okay?" She asks. What really got my attention was when she had said my last name, because it seemed to just roll of her tounge with such ease and delicacy.

"Yeah....i'm fine...what did you just call me?" I ask her. She gets this look on her face, as if she thinks she did something wrong.

"I...I'm sorry...you don't like people calling you that." She says realizing that she was stupid.

"No...no...everyone calls me that, it's just...." She looks at me and i'm lost in her eyes again.

"Nevermind." I say. I really want to tell her that she's amazing, and that something about her just makes me melt. An uncomfortable silence falls between us and she clears her throat.

"So um...why are you going to Virginia?" She asks as she closes her laptop and looks at me, waiting for my story. I tell her what i'm supposed to tell her.

"My mom's sick." I say, and i immediatly hate lying to her, because it just feels so wrong. I see the look in her eyes, she feels sorry for me, when she has no reason to be.

"That's terrible, i'm sorry." She says as she looks down at her hands.

"What's wrong with her? If you don't mind my asking." She says. I shake my head.

"Of course not." I say, i sigh or moment, pretending that it's a bit hard to talk about, which it is, i don't want to think about my mother this way, especailly when it's not even real.

"She ah....she has cancer." I say softly, i think maybe i said it too softly because she doesn't say anything for a moment, and i see that something is obviously bothering her.

"Are you okay?" I ask. She nods and looks up at me.

"Yeah, it's just...i know what you're feeling right now, i went through the same thing." She says. The way her eyes suddenly fill with pain makes my heart ache, literally, i feel my chest tighten and a lump in my throat. It's my turn to be sorry.

"I'm sorry." I say softly. She shrugs and pretends she's over it.

"It was a long time ago." She said setting her laptop on the pull out table in front of her. I don't want to pry into her life too much, i mean, i just met the woman for goodness sake. I nod and lean back, staring at the back of the seat that's in front of me. I feel bad for making her feel bad. My lie has obviously stired emotions up inside of her, because for the first time since i met her she is quiet, dead quiet. I finally try to break the blanket of ice that has come between us.

"So uh...what are you going to school for?" I ask her. She seems to immeidatly brush off the last few minutes and begins talking again.

"I'm a lit major." She said.

"Really?" This catches my intrest.

"Why Literature?" I ask. She shrugs.

"I love reading, and my mom used to be a lit professor at UCLA. One of the best." She says, a hint of pride in her voice. It makes me smile.

"Well, your mother must be proud of you." I say, and i'd shot myself for it later, because her mood suddenly drops again.

"Yeah, she would be." She says. I suddenly get it, she lost her mother. Our eyes meet and i just stare at her, and understanding coming between us.

"When?" I ask softly. She looks down at her hands again.

"When i was six." She said. I don't interupt with an apoligee instead i let her continue.

"My parents were involved in a car accident on a two way bridge. The car in the other lane swearved and hit them, causing them to go over the bridge into the river." She tells me. Somehow that's seems worse than losing someone to cancer. She puts on a strong face but i know that she really does hurt inside, only because i feel the same way with my father.

"Sydney...." She looks over at me, her brown eyes meeting my green, suddenly i forget what i was about to say.

"You're not alone." I say. I don't really want to explain my fathers death to her, it's to morbid. She gives me the smallest smile and nods.

"I understand." She says. The flight attendant comes over to us, finally breaking our uncomfortable conversation.

"May i get the two of you anything?" She asks with a smile. I look at Sydney as she looks up at the woman.

"No thank you." She says. They both then look at me and i force myself to talk.

"Uh....no, i'm good, thanks." I say. The woman walks away and Sydney smiles at me.

"What?" I ask her with a smile. She shakes her head.

"Nothing, i just feel like i've kown you for a long time." She says, and i tell her i feel exactly the same way, because i do. Something about her is so relaxing, yet so intreguing. For the rest of the flight we talk, mostly about school and about the crazy professors that we ironically share. This woman is definatly after my heart, yet somehow, someway, i think she already has it.

This is yet another great story of yours. Can i get a PM when you update?????? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!
P.S. Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Em~ :D

Back