Shakespeare and other Playwrights

i love reading shakespeare, my favorites are romeo and juliet(so sue me im a major romantic!) taming of the shrew and much ado about nothing and midsummer night's dream.
other playwrights i love to read are: arthur miller(crucible is such a good play likewise with all my sons even though it was extremely heavy, i just sat there and cried.(i think that was miller, correct me if im wrong!), and henrik ibsen, a doll's house(one of my favorite plays) basically i love realist plays and i also love black comedy i dont know the playwright but i just read that recently and couldnt stop laughing from just reading it!
and i also liked the bad seed forget the playwright but even though it was another dark one, i just thought it was very interesting and it made me think alot, which is always a good thing!

ooh, i didn't see this topic. you've started a lot in here, victoria!! :lol:

i thought a doll house was okay. the crucible was really good though. and, of course, romeo & juliet was great!

i already mentioned these in another topic, but i'll mention them again. it's weird, but some of my favorite plays are greek ones like homer's the odyssey and aristophanes' lysistrata. lysistrata is hilarious!! extremely raunchy though. :lol:

i don't know if they're still doing this, but a couple weeks ago, i heard that a bunch of actors were getting together to give performances of lysistrata in protest of the war against iraq. it was called the lysistrata project. man, another reason i wish i lived in new york. :confused:

oh, and speaking of that, have you read the vagina monologues? i think that just might be my favorite play of all time. very powerful and pretty funny at times. :smiley:

i have read parts from it but not the whole thing, we have it in are drama room at school! and yes lysistrata(sp!wow) was hilarous, i also loved medea even though very freaky and extremely sad and pyshcotic i loved it! but i didnt like oedipus rex or odysessy for some reason. i really want to see the musical metamorphisis which is off of greek mythology and greek classics.
and the reason why i have started so many is bc i love to read! :D

Wow, I can't believe how many of the same things we've read. :D I totally like A Doll's House and the Crucible. I also really liked Death of a Salesman.

I'm also really big on Tess of the D'Urbervilles, To Kill a Mockingbird and Shakespeare's Twelfth Night.

i have noticed that, many of us have the same tastes in books and plays as well!(but alias is our common ground!lol)
yes death of a salesman is good, i really want to see hollywood arms(which is out now, i think it is still out!) and noises off.

I liked Macbeth because of the witches. One of my covets is that I'm jealous of the lady who got to play the witch in the Wizard of Oz(which I read), and in my class play I played one of the witches.

I think my favorite Shakespeare play is "The Taming of the Shrew", because of the comedy. But of course, after seeing "10 Things I Hate about You" (which is based on it), I can't picture Katerina and Bianca as anybody but Julia Stiles and Larisa Oleynik! Oh, well. I'm sure Shakespeare didn't care what they looked like, anyway.

Other than that, my favorite plays are "A Doll's House" and "Hedda Gabler" by Ibsen, "The Three Sisters" by Chekhov, and "The Importance of Being Earnest" by Oscar Wilde. But I love all Oscar Wilde's plays, really.

yes i love oscar wilde!!
and i know not plays but i said this earlier someone else but here goes "i know you can be overwhelmed and underwhelmed but can you ever just be whelmed?"LOL i love that! and thats becuase you dont have a prada backpack!LOL okay back to plays!lol

Shakespeare is amazing and in a category all his own. I have read Othello, Romeo and Juliet and Midsummer Night's Dream as well as many sonnets. I really want to read Hamlet, but the odds of me getting to before the summer are practically zero.

oh gosh, go after hamlet asap. i know people are saying it's whiney and all but i absolutely love it...and what can i say? i'm a sucker for shakespeare. i don't especially love to read plays...like i think i was about to jump out my window the week i had to read a doll's house, death of a salesman, and a raisin in the sun...but shakespeare is just the man

i think it was the female characters that made me like macbeth more than hamlet. even though lady macbeth and ophelia were both slightly psychotic :blink: , i just found lady macbeth to be a stronger character. ;) hamlet's mother was just...creepy.

i don't know, i'm tired, i could be misremembering everything and just mixing it all up.

kalan, you didnt like a doll's house?! i loved that play, one of my favorites!, oh well beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but wow!LOL, and yes even though they were alittle out there, to put it nicely, they were stronger characters!(but not as pshycotic as Medea!!now thats just crazy!)

Back