Shakespeare and other Playwrights

I agree, Shakespeare and other playwrights should be separated into their own categories! I took several classes in Shakespeare during college. I'm very fond of Ibsen and Euripides, too.
;)

uggghhh i'm sooo sick of "A Midsummer Night's Dream" studying Shakespeare sucks. I don't think i would ever want to see that play ever again. On the other hand just reading it is great. Hamlet is soooo much better than Macbeth. Um... Crazy_spinster... Ophelia was from Hamlet....
--Mandy :angelic:

mystery_chick said:
Um... Crazy_spinster... Ophelia was from Hamlet....
i know that. i was saying that part of the reason i liked macbeth better was because its female characters were stronger than hamlet's (in my opinion). i found lady macbeth to be a much stronger character than ophelia. :smiley:

It's strange that the women in Shakespeare's tragedies in general tend to be weaker and more "doomed", like Ophelia, Desdemona, and Cordelia. But the women in the comedies, for example Katerina from "The Taming of the Shrew" or Beatrice from "Much Ado about Nothing", are stronger and are allowed happy endings. But I agree that of the women in the tragedies, Lady Macbeth is the strongest character.

Every year my family goes to Stratford Ontario to see plays. My favorites are Twelfth Night, Romeo and Juliet, My fair Lady. The ones I did not like were Henry the fith( blahh I fell asleep) and Alls well that ends well. My mom said that Shakespeare must have been having some kind of Crisis when he wrote that play. Oh well I LOVE SHAKESPEARE!!!! :D :D :D

We did Romeo and Juliet for a school play, and since then I've read it over like fifty times. I like it a lot, I just wasn't introduced to it before. I haven't been able to read any others.

Ahhhh plays... My boyfriend is a HUGE theater person, so he talks about all these plays...

From Shakespeare, I've read Twelfth Night, Romeo and Juliet, Julius Caesar, Hamlet, Othello, 2 Merchants of Venice, and Midsummer Night's Dream. My favorites are Twelfth Night and Midsummer Night's Dream.

I LOVED the Vagina Monologues! I sat down in a Barnes and Noble and read the entire thing. Hilarious. And so true!

I read Ibsen's A Doll's House in AP english... I didn't really like it all too much. The college I was at last year put it on the mainstage.

My favorite plays include Arcadia, Oleanna, Waiting For Godot, the Lesson (La Lecon), and Le Maitre. I'm big on the theater of the absurd. :D The last two are by Ionesco, and I've read them in both french and english.

Existentialist said:
I read Ibsen's A Doll's House in AP english... I didn't really like it all too much. The college I was at last year put it on the mainstage.

My favorite plays include Arcadia, Oleanna, Waiting For Godot, the Lesson (La Lecon), and Le Maitre. I'm big on the theater of the absurd. :D The last two are by Ionesco, and I've read them in both french and english.
see i loved a doll's house i just read it this year for fun and loved it!its one of my favorite plays.i just love how ibsen writes the dialogue and gives such description in the stage directions, i dont know i loved it!
and i can tell you like theatre of the absurd, i dont care for it that much. I found the idea of waiting for godet very very intelligent and it really made me think, but i got rather bored while reading it. You can apply many theatre of absurd plays to many things in life, like waiting for godet, you the audience is looking in on these people just waiting for something that will never come and the sad thing about it is you know that they are never coming but they still come and wait everyday. i really enjoy realism over theatre of absurd. even though they are both very similar, realism having no particular beginning and end, which i love because that means i can speculate and steer the characters where i want them to go and let my mind roam, i loved all my sons by miller! and i also love the bad seed for some reason, everyone i know hates it but i love how everything worked out and it makes you think if you are born the way you are or is it what you are taught or if ppl really do have no sense of right and wrong, plus i loved how the shoes were red(i love symbolism, symbolism nut right here!LOL!!)
okay ill stop now, but i could go on forever about plays and i'll go read the lesson and other inesco plays, im not much into theatre of absurd but if you suggest them ill give them a try!

i luv shakespeare too. my faves are Romeo and Juliet of course ( i'm a hopeless romantic too), Macbeth (sp?) , and Much Ado About Nothing-that's so funny! hehe. Oh and A Midsummer Nights Dream.

sydbristow said:
Every year my family goes to Stratford Ontario to see plays. My favorites are Twelfth Night, Romeo and Juliet, My fair Lady. The ones I did not like were Henry the fith( blahh I fell asleep) and Alls well that ends well. My mom said that Shakespeare must have been having some kind of Crisis when he wrote that play. Oh well I LOVE SHAKESPEARE!!!! :D :D :D
:eek: i'm jealous. every year my school organized a trip to Stratford for a day to see like two plays. and i was going to go but they only had once bus this year and the seats were filled in one day. and i didn't know about it until the second day! arrggghhh i was so mad!
--mandy :angelic:

OMG!!!!!! I just love Shakespeare's stories!!! I swear I started reading them when I was like nine and liked the stories immediately then. :D

My fav stories (besides Romeo and Juliet and A Midsummer Night's Dream) would probably be As You Like It, Hamlet, Measure for Measure, Much Ado About Nothing, Timon of Athens, and The Comedy of Errors. (I know, it's a long list.) But my top favorite from this list, (again, besides the two in parenthesis), would be The Comedy of Errors. Has anyone else read this story?

I had a feeling you would respond to this post, SR. :smiley: But I really enjoyed Hamlet. In school, we had to read Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet and Hamlet is my favorite out of those two.

we watched that too!lol, we also watched three versions of romeo and juliet(my favorite the baz luhrmann one!i love him!and the other two were made in the seventies,lol!)

we haven't read hamlet in school yet but i read it and bought the movie version with Ethan Hawke in it..hehe.....yup, that just make the story even better. :D :blush: Everyone dies in it though-quite depressing. I absolutely love Much Ado About Nothing though cuz it's so funny...i think that and R&J are my top 2.

Back