Should Exist

Tom

An Old Friend
I get email updates from Should Exist. It's an Invention request site.

shouldexist.gif

An Example:
I think that emergency vehicle's should be fitted with a transmitter that can overide radio transmissions within a 50m radius. This would enable an ambulance or a fire engine to instruct a specific driver of another vehicle and tell them which way they would like them to move.In a situation where there are three or more lanes of traffic at a junction and as a driver all you hear is a siren which you are not really sure which direction it is coming from then the ability to say clear the centre lane or the left lane must be of use to the emergency services.Under these sort of circumstances we think that we are sure what to do but a direct instruction from the emergency vehicle would hopefully reduce any confusion.The system would overide a cars music radio/cd player in the same way that traffic news will switch channels for a bulletin and change back when the emergency vehicle has passed. This system would enable the emergeny driver to identify a possible blockage and say "Would the Coca Cola lorry please move to your right etc etc..

thats what hand signals are for :smiley: ie. the birdy!

we are only a couple of years away in europe from getting transmitters in our new cars by law that report to emergency services when you've had a crash. they are just trying to pass the legislation in the courts right now, the technology is waiting to be fitted into the vehicles

designed primarily as a safety device in case the passengers are KO'd or simply incapacitated, but i believe all it's going to do is ensure that drink drivers crashing into cars and property are going to have difficulty making off afterwards without getting caught!!!

We went thru a rash of hidden crashes not to long ago where the crashed car was out of sight and noone found them for a couple days, sometime purely by accident. Drivers made news by surviving for days trapped in their autos. A crash beacon would help in that aspect.

interesting to note that they failed to pass a law requiring car owners to have their main lights on 24/7 whilst engine switched on, to better protect pedestrians and the like, reasoning being that the lights are an aid to pedestrians spacial awareness. motoring groups got together and complained about teh increased cost of replacing headlight bulbs or some such nonsense.

yet they can now pass this where the device is a whole lot more expensive than a few lightbulbs!!!!

there aren't many places in the UK you can crash and not be noticed. it could happen, but we haven't the long, lonely roads we hear about so much from over in the USA where your population density is so low, meaning less traffic than us on those less travelled roads!

I don't understand why there has to be a headlamp switch at all. At work they require the lights on when the truck is being operated. When a headlamp switch breaks if we are out of them we bypass the switch until a new one comes. Why not do away with the switch. It would be less resistance in the circut and one less thing to break. Lower maintenance costs as well.
For passenger cars the headlamps could be computer controlled so to turn off when any input is switched on or off. It wouldn't require anything except a relay and a control circut.
For longivity of the lamp why not construct LED emmitter arrays that operate on parallel so the lamp will burn no matter the number of LEDs inop. Imagine 50 high power LED flashlights bundled at each lamp position.
We already equip our trucks with LED stop lamps and turn lamps. They are bright. To get the light white just remove the lens and install sealed reflectors.

A recent submission of mine to Should Exist:
I don't want my personal information on the internet at all. I want to make purchases but I refuse to allow my credit card info to be typed into my computer. As it is If I want to make a purchase or renew a subscription to software I bought I have to start a dedicated account for a card number then risk the card to the internet.
Banks could sell single use/secured throw away cards that you buy like a money order. You purchase the amount of funding and it is written to the card at the bank. Your pin would be the security that unlocks the card and the card wouldn't have to have your ssn or credit info on it. Once the funds are used the card could be discarded (no pun intended) or renewed with more funding. Think Walmart gift card.
Now, when my antivirus subscription expires or I want to purchase that game or some ink I go to the bank and buy a purchase card and next time I'm online I type the number and unlock code into the website and throw the card away.
Since the card would be coded at the time of purchase the website knows it is good and the money is transfered from the bank to the sites bank same as normal. The billing/shipping info is what would be used to track your order. The bank computers would only track the SOLD card numbers.
The entire card purchasing operation could be automated for convience in the ATM system.

Back