Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm on the fence.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Azhria Lilu

Captain
When people get imprisoned for "life" in the UK - this can mean anything from 10 years up (it rarely means actual life). With the recent sentencing for the murderers of Lee Rigby - one received a minimum of 45 years and the other actually received the sentence of being imprisoned for his actual lifespan (good, i say, but that's another story).

The sentencing was put on hold because the European Court had stated that life meaning life was a breach of human rigghts - I'm pretty sure that anyone receiving a life sentence has done so by abusing someone else's human rights so should therefore lose any human right claim of their own, but maybe that's just me.

So what do you think? Should life actually mean life?

If they call it life, then yes it should be life.

In Sweden "life" is rarely used. We have time set sentences up to 18 years. After that there is no time, so it's pretty much just "until we deem you fit to be a part of society again". Don't see how it would interefere with a human's right but that could be just me.

I have a similar thought about "Death Row"...

Why are they on Death Row for multiple years? If they are sentenced to death, what in the hell are we waiting for?

I have a similar thought about "Death Row"...

Why are they on Death Row for multiple years? If they are sentenced to death, what in the hell are we waiting for?
We don't have the death penalty in the UK anymore - although lots of people do think we should. I'm kinda on the fence on it, because of the amount of times it turns out that the person they've convicted is innocent years later, but on the other hand if there's no doubt at all that someone has murdered someone, I do think eye-for-an-eye and kill the bastard in return is the way it should be.

You don't have the death penalty in all the states in the US, do you? Or is it a country-wide thing?

It's not country wide. State by state case... My thought is if it is first degree murder type, then death is the answer.

Back