Politics Should the government get to watch you?

Should the government be able to watch you???

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't care

• Depends

• Total voters
Depends... The government is in place to protect and serve their citizens. The question then becomes... "What extent should the government have in governing their citizens." Is it fine if the governement watches you? Does this mean they have complete access to your home, bank account numbers and other personal information. Sure, its fine for the government to keep an overview of the population but does this also give them the right to arrest you on suspicion or physically invade your private property. It now becomes a question of, "Are you willing to trade your civil rights in exchange for security?" I'd say its picking the less of the two evils now... The next question depends on the credibility of the government and the trust you have in it. "What will the government be doing with the information aquired from you"? and "Are they to be trusted?". And that is why i say "Depends"

aliasjunkie4ever said:
Yes. I have nothing to hide. ^_^
[post="970565"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I think if the government checked up on me they might find the checking out spy books from the library suspicious. ;)

I think they should and shouldn't mainly for the reasons Lucy said...but they find out so many things that makes this world a "better" place (I know cheesy ^_^ ) but it's true they find murderes and illegal things going on by spying on us...so yup I think they should to some respect ;)

AliasHombre said:
No.  No.  No.  And no.

Get the government the hell away from me, I think its too big, and the bigger it gets, the less trustworthy it is.
[post="976089"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Well Bush seems to be an advocate of it. He's even having people arrested and thrown in jail under a mere suspicion that they're terrorists. Not even giving them trials. Which makes me think, if they have all this freedom to watch us, why don't they use it in court so that these potentially innocent people are given a trial?

Absolutely not. Just read the classic novel "1984" by George Orwell. Then check out some of the more notorious portions of the Patriot Act, like the ones that allow the FBI to wave a piece of paper in front of a doctor or librarian and get your medical records or records of what you have checked out of the local public library -- without judicial review first. No, thanks! 👎

I, honestly, don't care. This isn't going to be George Orwell's "1984", at least not where we are at. "1984" is an extreme and dark version of censorship and big brother. The government is no where near being the "thought police". They aren't controling what we say, what we write and who we associate with. It would be alarmist to even believe we are edging close to such a society. "The government" which is watching us, is really a bunch of computers. They could careless if you email your friend across seas or search this site and they certainly aren't judging us. So, for me and you, as we live out our lives will likely never be of any interest to the government. And frankly, if they did want to look at what I did, I wouldn't have anything to hide.

Dreila said:
No they shouldn't. It's called privacy rights.
[post="981973"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Exactly. Why would I want the goverment to be watching me? It's like they would watch your every move. It's my life and I don't want to have an audience. It's like someone looking underneath your bathroom stall, watching you take a shower, having someone look through a window and watching you change. I perfer to have privacy because what you do is private to yourself and basically when your under 18, the only one thing you have to yourself.

I like to have the privacy and I don't want it taken away. So no 👎 :nonono:

Princess Jeanie said:
I, honestly, don't care.  This isn't going to be George Orwell's "1984", at least not where we are at.  "1984" is an extreme and dark version of censorship and big brother.  The government is no where near being the "thought police".  They aren't controling what we say, what we write and who we associate with.  It would be alarmist to even believe we are edging close to such a society.  "The government" which is watching us, is really a bunch of computers.  They could careless if you email your friend across seas or search this site and they certainly aren't judging us.  So, for me and you, as we live out our lives will likely never be of any interest to the government.  And frankly, if they did want to look at what I did, I wouldn't have anything to hide.
[post="996758"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I think you may be missing the point. A human being will be looking at the data collected by the computers you mention. And are you really comfortable with the idea of the government being able to look at your medical records or what you've been checking out of your library? The Patriot Act allows for such governmental powers. It is not alarmist to be concerned about our privacy rights being eroded bit by bit, until suddenly we wake up one morning and we are living in Orwell's dystopia.

The Goverment is made for the people and I don't want the people who run our goverment knowing what I do after I go to the movies or anything. What web-sites I go to even though I have nothing to hide. I don't look up "Fire arms and how to kill someone." so what's the point? Why keep watching people. What am I doing wrong? All I'm doing is going to Alias sites so what is the point. Later for all we know they will have cameras in the house! So the goverment can watch your EVERY move. I am a human not a project, and I don't want to be watched like one.

I'm not a mass murderer, I'm not gonna work for the FBI as a recruit they got OFF THE INTERNET! Why watch us. Knowing that the goverment is watching you, do you honestly think someone's gonna write an e-mail saying "lets go kill someone tonight?" I'm sorry whether it be privacy in a home or privacy on-line the word Private fits into the word privacy and I like to have everything private.

Ophelia said:
I think you may be missing the point.  A human being will be looking at the data collected by the computers you mention.  And are you really comfortable with the idea of the government being able to look at your medical records or what you've been checking out of your library?  The Patriot Act allows for such governmental powers.  It is not alarmist to be concerned about our privacy rights being eroded bit by bit, until suddenly we wake up one morning and we are living in Orwell's dystopia.
[post="997023"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I don't think I missed the point. To compare today as heading toward Orwell's "1984" is just silly. We are so far from it and I don't think we'll ever get close. Think about it. If the government really did abuse our right to privacy and put "thought police" (actually I think Orwell's book is so laughable if you are trying to compare it to reality) we'd have which ever president voted out within a couple of years. No president would ever do anything like that, it would be career suicide. Which brings up an interesting point, as much as the government does things we all don't care for, in our system, as it is, they will never do something that a majority wouldn't like. For those who have taken government course, you might have heard of the "permanant campain". Political figures always are looking forward to what will get voters the next time around. Therefore, outlandish things like in Orwell's dystopia wouldn't occur because we'd have those people out of office the next time around.
Like I said, if the government wants to personally assess (which they don't, but whatever...) my health records and my library habits, then they can have at it. The aren't going to find anything interesting there. To them, you and I are just random people living out our random lives, they don't care about what we check out of the library. ^_^

I still say that where our privacy rights are concerned, caution is always the better course. I do not want government snoops looking at my personal medical records and my reading habits, no matter how innocuous they may be. I think it's a dangerous road to start on. But then, I am a card-carrying member of the ACLU. ;)

I see where your both coming from and I agree partially with both of you. No one is gonna find anything intresting in my backround. I have nothing to hide. But like Ophelia is saying is that it could eventually go deeper, into other things and not just your library records, your medical records. Though I don't think it would ever go so far as Orwell's, I believe we should have privacy but I also don't care if they see it cause I really can't stop them. "hey you, get out my business." what am I gonna do to stop them? But if I had the choic to block it off so they couldn't find my records, I would.

Back