Should there be evil players as well or not?

Should HJ have evil players as well?

• Total voters

Hiro

Cadet
Since in Hero's Journey, it says you can make your own decision. It does say that everyone can be a hero, but a hero is a person that has distinguished courage or ability so that doesn't mean the person has to be good. So, should Simutronics allow Hero's Journey to have evil players as well?

I'm hopeful that the faction system will do just that really.
What makes one person heroic in their faction's eyes will make them infamous in anothers.
Here's to hopin' tho'.

That's my hope also, Luciro. Not true evil, but enough animosity to really spice things up. Hence my "no" vote. Shades of grey, not black and white. There was a thread some time back that covered this subject here

Well, the nemesis system doesn't have anything to do with player-player interactions. That's the game creating an arch-rival for you.

Well, I like the idea of a "good" and "bad" way of doing your quests, and even moreso the idea of having a "good" or "bad" reputation with towns.. Hell, even having certain changes in your appearance to represent that would be cool.

Imagine having a bounty on your head, and having players come after you. :P

Are we really going to be forced into choosing one faction or another? I really hope not..Maybe some of us would rather not deal with politics.. What if a friend chooses another side, and then our characters are only moderately into their own sides, so it's possible to make friends with the other?

As for having evil characters..A game can't stop you from making them. It's not exactly the mechanics that matter in that area, but how other players react.

Are we really going to be forced into choosing one faction or another? I really hope not..Maybe some of us would rather not deal with politics.. What if a friend chooses another side, and then our characters are only moderately into their own sides, so it's possible to make friends with the other?

As for having evil characters..A game can't stop you from making them. It's not exactly the mechanics that matter in that area, but how other players react.

Well that's why they're factions and not 'sides'. It'll only get deep if you feel like getting deep I'm certain.
More or less, how would you view someone who worked against your faction? Did it affect you? Well then they wouldn't appear so evil, you'd be more indifferent. What if you really got into faction play tho?
It's a matter of if you want the red or the blue pill, Alice.

That's how politics work. It matters for everyone but how concerned are you with them yourself?

I think LotRO is showing how a game that offers only good characters (if you discount Monster Play), can work. And work bloody well, actually.

Alrightly, what's the Nemis system?

MMORPG.com:
For heroes to exist their must be villains. Are there any overarching bad-guys in the game?​

Mike Paddock:
Yes. But of course, I can't discuss the stories behind those villians. All I can say is, The Nemesis System. - Q&A 14

And that's all that was and has been said about it. That being said, usually every Hero/Heroine has a Nemesis of some sort be it a particular individual or group, or faction etc.​

Whether this will be like EQ2's good v/s evil where you get to create and play a good/evil character type is unknown. Maybe it will be HJ's type of faction/archrival perspective?​

Surely though, HJ has been loosely stating that it's world "has its own sentience". So I don't think it refers to just faction but it remains to be seen.​

I think it has much to do with player 'Choices' and how the 'sentient' HJ world will react to same? I speculate that if you want to create an evil character you will have to do so by making such 'Choices' in the game. Not like EQ2 and other's automatic method of just creating an evil character and spawning into a designated evil city etc.​

I also think Watchmaker's POV is probably going to be more accurate:​

Well, I like the idea of a "good" and "bad" way of doing your quests, and even moreso the idea of having a "good" or "bad" reputation with towns.. Hell, even having certain changes in your appearance to represent that would be cool.

Or something to this effect omplete with anti-"good" Wyr to effect those types of evil changes.

Needless to say I could be absolutely wrong.​

Another thread on Nemesis System here

I don't think this is a problem and that it is already implemented into the game. Look at it this way, there is no evil. All factions have a similar perspective believing that they are "good", the "hero's", saviors of their corrupted world fighitng foes who have caused this seeing them as unhumaine savage creatures. Over time their actions against each other increase hatred for one another where any deed or quest done to harm the other alliance is seen as evil. With different views of all players brought up into the game by unique friends there will be evil, but in reality, only misunderstanding.

..there is no evil. All factions have a similar perspective believing that they are "good", the "hero's", saviors of their corrupted world caused by their foes who are the unhumaine savage creatures. With different views of all players brought up into the game by unique friends there will be evil, but in reality, only misunderstanding.
This would be an excellent RP idea here Furt. The 'philosophy' of an HJ character.

With different views of all players brought up into the game by unique friends there will be evil, but in reality, only misunderstanding.

Hardly. If I decide that I'm going to wipe out your family just because I think it'll be amusing, that's evil.

Why couldn't a player align with one of the factions trying to destroy the world? That'd be evil as well.

While no one should paint any of the factions as evil, that doesn't mean that individual characters shouldn't be.

Hardly. If I decide that I'm going to wipe out your family just because I think it'll be amusing, that's evil.

Why couldn't a player align with one of the factions trying to destroy the world? That'd be evil as well.

While no one should paint any of the factions as evil, that doesn't mean that individual characters shouldn't be.

I'm thinking actually there is no evil..Only misunderstandings and loonies.

Back