Should there be evil players as well or not?

Should HJ have evil players as well?

• Total voters
I'm gonna stick my neck out here and say "evil" players are just part of RP, and shouldn't be frowned upon. What should be frowned upon, is non-rp PvP. Someone just running up to you and attacking you is a big let down in MMORPGs today, you wind up with a lot of high level bored players eating younguns, and a bunch of pissed off younguns who can't get any leveling/questing done. Perhaps a PvP based system that was free but regulated by GMs (as per DR) would be satisfactory.

EG: if someone attacks me for no reason, I should be able to report them and GMs look into the issue and penalize as they deem necesary, but if I'm antagonizing someone, kill stealing, pick pocketing, etc... well I guess I deserved that beating.

The whole concept of good vs evil PvP is bland and stale to me. A troll player meets a human player, and kills him, without a word said. These two might have been bosom buddies if they had got to know each other, but because of the "good vs evil" struggle, this is one friendship that will never be.

Good vs. Evil is stale and unrealistic any way. Reality is shades of grey, the idea of setting clear factions lines and calling one evil and the other good is an example of lazy fantasy writing. It wouldn't fly in a novel, it shouldn't fly in a game.

I have always disliked the black and white good vs evil theme my self.

If you look at both sides of any faction dispute (real or fantasy) each side will tend to see their own heroics and the other side's villainy. That being said, I really love the way some stories evolve and sort of open world up for me as I go along. Keeping both of those ideas in mind, I like it when there is an ambiguous quality for characters in a storyline rather than just being born to burn villages and eat babies in persuit of power or slay the less than beautiful in the name of nobility and light.

Wait ... come to think of it those both sound kind of evil. :eek:

If a game has pvp, there WILL be evil regardless. It is human nature and will crop up no matter what mechanics they put in place. Might as well go with the flow.

By that argument we should all adopt anarchy. Society constraining people is useless, because human nature will produce evil regardless of law, morals, beliefs, etc.

~Dune Walker~

By that argument we should all adopt anarchy. Society constraining people is useless, because human nature will produce evil regardless of law, morals, beliefs, etc.

~Dune Walker~

Usually the way people play online is quite a bit different from how they really are. Also, there really aren't alot of constraints in video games and the penalties affect only your character so they lack any real harshness. That usually brings out the worst in people since they can basically do whatever they want.

The point is, one should always attempt to restrict people's stupidity, even despite the seeming difficulty of such an endeavor. If you don't even try, that's the worst thing you can possibly do.

If you have any real effect at all on making the game more fair and fun for everyone, you kinda have a duty to do that.

~Dune Walker~

Back