Should there be gods?

wow, yea its been a while since i played the mud, but back in the day, GMs gave them out. thats odd that players give them out now.l

hmmm..interesting

KickinBama

What I do not want to see are the Gods being as only lore-specific as GS3-GS4 was.

For example: 3 Patheons, Liabo, Neutrality, and Lornon (good, neutral, evil respectively). In good there are Charl, Cholen, Eonak, Imaera, Jastev, Kai, Koar, Lorminstra, Lumnis, Oleani, Phoen, Ronan, and Tonis. Neutral holds Gosaena and Zelia. Evil houses Andelas, Eorgina, Fash'lo'nae, Ivas, Luukos, Marlu, Mularos, Sheru, and V'tull.

Confused yet? Well wait! Theres more... lesser spirits and other immortals: Aeia, Amasalen, Arachne, The Huntress, Illoke, Jaston, Khaarne, Kuon, Laethe, Leya, Meyno, Niima, Onar, Tilamaire, Voaris, and Voln.

I wrote out each name to make a point. Even the most die-hard GS3 players have no idea who 75% of these names are because (1) there are two many (2) their names are similar to the others' names and (3) gods give no bonus or penalties. The biggest penalty came when you were either aligned in the House of Voln or the the Counsel of Light. As CoL you could randomly fail to attack an evil-aligned critter and also as CoL if you used a CoL-specific ability within sight of a non-CoL member it restricted your future uses for 30 minutes. Other than that, there was no interaction with "Gods" at all (not including GMs with random RPAs).

I think having God's would be a good idea. It can add to roleplaying a lot and fleshes out the history of the world. While reading through this topic, Conan the Barbarian flashed into my head, probably b/c I was watching it yesterday...

"Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!"

Always loved that quote...Conan always so direct...

Silver, I have no idea how you would even remember that. I think it would be nice if their were 6~ gods who you could choose from, each with their own buff. However, you could defy a god somehow if you didn't want to choose to belive in any. Maybe a 7th hidden god who supports you against the other gods ,but you don't even know it.

Originally posted by Kickinbama@Apr 17 2006, 01:28 PM
wow, yea its been a while since i played the mud, but back in the day, GMs gave them out. thats odd that players give them out now.l

hmmm..interesting

KickinBama
It's a much more recent change.

I think it's because players are always there, gms aren't, and it would help contribute to rp..

I like a lot of the system changes, especially the circle req change, it's really easy to get her circled now.

And the verb changes are nice too.

Originally posted by frostydf2@Apr 13 2006, 10:12 AM
DnL had an idea of praying to gods, and worshiping under a certain god to have an influence on you forever. Do you think Hero's Journey should implement this. Where certain races are effected by their beliefs, or certain factions exclude people becuase of theirs. It could add a lot to role-playing. I believe if done right it would be a great idea, what are your thoughts on it?
In one of their previous games, DragonRealms, gods were the only way you could gain "favors". Favors were like "extra-lives" in the game. If you died without a favor, you "walked the starry road" A.k.A your character was rerolled for you and you restarted the game. I don't think they will impliment a death system this harsh in HJ, but I do believe they'll include some sort of diety worship.

Originally posted by z80@Apr 29 2006, 10:36 PM
Yes. This game should definitely have gods.
A simple answer, and it gets to the point. A pat on the back is in order for you! :D

My understanding is that their will be gods in HJ.

And I believe that any fantasy game should have gods unless they have chosen a more 'scientific' route where perhaps the wizards are really physicists who have mastered ice, wind, earth, etc and perhaps the rangers are really biologists who have studied and learned how plants & animals react to certain situations and mastered the art of controling these situations.

You see... I think its much more fun and mysterious to play a game where fantasy is at the helm. Not to mention... gods are often not predictible whereas 'science' tends to be just that. Having gods adds a certain 'random' factor to the game. Ya kin juss never tell what dem folkses is gonna do next.

Oh and Tonis... is my hero. :Ph34r:

Originally posted by HJ-Zee@May 1 2006, 04:56 AM
My understanding is that their will be gods in HJ.

And I believe that any fantasy game should have gods unless they have chosen a more 'scientific' route where perhaps the wizards are really physicists who have mastered ice, wind, earth, etc and perhaps the rangers are really biologists who have studied and learned how plants & animals react to certain situations and mastered the art of controling these situations.

You see... I think its much more fun and mysterious to play a game where fantasy is at the helm. Not to mention... gods are often not predictible whereas 'science' tends to be just that. Having gods adds a certain 'random' factor to the game. Ya kin juss never tell what dem folkses is gonna do next.

Oh and Tonis... is my hero. :Ph34r:
Great reason to why gods should be put in the game, and it gives me hope when you say that they will be in the game. Coming from a Simutronics staff I mean. Glad to see that a lot of our ideas about what is going to make a great MMORPG have already been implemented before we even speak out for them.

Back