Should there be gods?

F

frostydf2

DnL had an idea of praying to gods, and worshiping under a certain god to have an influence on you forever. Do you think Hero's Journey should implement this. Where certain races are effected by their beliefs, or certain factions exclude people becuase of theirs. It could add a lot to role-playing. I believe if done right it would be a great idea, what are your thoughts on it?

It's hard to say.

There are going to be players who will basically be like historians, who know every detail of the entire history of Elanthia, and there will be those who just play for fun.

I think both sides would enjoy it, and I'm sure it would be roleplayed extensively.

ohh well i have a question about the "roleplaying" you know how the website says that players will be rewarded for roleplaying... how is this? if your playing your char your roleplaying right? how can they find people not roleplaying... well how can they put the non roleplayers in a group.. how would it be possible to find the non roleplayers?... or do they call the bots and mules non roleplayers?

back on subject gods would be good but if theres to many gods that could be a problem if it deals with faction...

Originally posted by Xblood@Apr 13 2006, 11:38 PM
ohh well i have a question about the "roleplaying" you know how the website says that players will be rewarded for roleplaying... how is this? if your playing your char your roleplaying right? how can they find people not roleplaying... well how can they put the non roleplayers in a group.. how would it be possible to find the non roleplayers?... or do they call the bots and mules non roleplayers?
I think they mean people who are like, 'OMG HAHA U SUCK NEWBIE'. That is out of character. However, when you fight someone just becuase they 'harassed a NPC' or something. For the good to say. Or to follow the story-line of the game, then that is role-playing.

Roleplaying is hard to define..

mostly being in character..

those who do not talk about ooc things in general chats, but keep them to tells or whispers

and if say one of your characters has beef with somebody, you don't carry that throughout all characters.

I think there should be gods as part of the game lore. I also think that once you chose which one to follow it should have an impact on your individual quest. Deviating significantly from your diety's wishes should have consequences, as in PnP D&D.

I don't, however, think you should be fighting/slaying gods a la EQ. That has some inherant balancing issues because once you can kill a god what is beyond that? This is a trap some games fall into where they get stuck with a certain entity as representing the ultimate challenge, and then it becomes problematic to expand past that.

Those are my opinions anyway. ;)

im saying putting gods in will be good but quest specific with what god you warship would bump the game to release 2007

Originally posted by Xblood@Apr 14 2006, 01:57 AM
im saying putting gods in will be good but quest specific with what god you warship would bump the game to release 2007
That is a good point, but diety driven quests could be introduced later in an expansion. :smiley:

That is a good point, but diety driven quests could be introduced later in an expansion.

I agree as well. Their is plenty of time to add the extras. I am sure that Hero's Journey release will keep me going for quite awhile, so they have time to throw out the extra content in an upcomming patch.

I would honestly rather have the game now, and extra content later if it meant a release within the next few months.

I think adding a god system would be in the best interest of keeping roleplay goin in the long run. Now if we could get it done were following different gods may altar your stats a bit wich will promote people following gods more suited to there class and race. I also think one should have to quest to become a follower of there chosen god and not just click a button and bam your there.

On the other topic I dont agree with the killing of gods that alot of games let you get into
but having the god send out different monsters of epic perportions that can change the swing of the game and faction system, that you have to slay to stop would be a better way to handle that.

in Dragonrealms the mud you got a roleplaying award. the award was bonus experience for two hours.

i got one for fighting in a large group in an area that was pretty common. our group was fighting kind of a boss. we were in an area where you couldn't stay there long unless you had skills high enough to thwart the hostile environment. (i.e. we were in a gassy pit with rock troll guardians. gasses would come out of the ground and knock you unconscious) although we were having a hard time with the boss, we kept going at it. several players were incapacitated. we had to save those players (drag them to a safe area) and then go back and gaurd their tombstone so no one would steal their stuff as it popped out; with all of that going on, we still had to fight. little did we know, a gamemaster was watching us the whole time and we were all rewarded with an experience bonus. (which in DR was a huge bonus)

i loved that aspect of the game. it meant that if you put time and effort into making the game wholesome, you were rewarded. it felt really good to have the roleplaying award. there were much higher level characters that had put hundreds of hours more into the game that didn't have a RP award. so it kinda made you feel good about what you could do being 30 levels below another character.

KickinBama

Originally posted by Kickinbama@Apr 14 2006, 07:41 PM
in Dragonrealms the mud you got a roleplaying award. the award was bonus experience for two hours.

i got one for fighting in a large group in an area that was pretty common. our group was fighting kind of a boss. we were in an area where you couldn't stay there long unless you had skills high enough to thwart the hostile environment. (i.e. we were in a gassy pit with rock troll guardians. gasses would come out of the ground and knock you unconscious) although we were having a hard time with the boss, we kept going at it. several players were incapacitated. we had to save those players (drag them to a safe area) and then go back and gaurd their tombstone so no one would steal their stuff as it popped out; with all of that going on, we still had to fight. little did we know, a gamemaster was watching us the whole time and we were all rewarded with an experience bonus. (which in DR was a huge bonus)

i loved that aspect of the game. it meant that if you put time and effort into making the game wholesome, you were rewarded. it felt really good to have the roleplaying award. there were much higher level characters that had put hundreds of hours more into the game that didn't have a RP award. so it kinda made you feel good about what you could do being 30 levels below another character.

KickinBama
I remember Shadow telling me about that. Whether it would be a GM crafting a special item for you, or double experiance for a hour. They would add buffs to you, and other add-ons for your participation. The way it should be :smiley:

Originally posted by Kickinbama@Apr 14 2006, 07:41 PM

KickinBama
RPAs are actually given by players now, I think every time someone gives you one, you get a point, and five or so makes an RPA

I'm not sure if that's entirely correct, but it's close if not.

I think Div still has two RPAs that I haven't used.....

I prefered the gods in EQ. You worshiped the god but got no bonuses or hinderances from worshiping any specific god. I also liked how gods could be challenged and you could kill them (well specifically you killed their avatar and not them). It was rather enjoyable, at least in the Velious Era.

I will admit it was kinda cool to go to the planes and kill off the god of the oppisite alignment at first. But when it became a weekly raid, and the fact of wich god you killed even if it was your own lost all importance. sure that kinda thing is great for the hack'n'slash genere that took over everquest. Being this game is goin to try and bring back the roleplaying that picture games have lacked for just as long as they been out. Killing off a god shouldnt be part the game and actual warship of them should be promoted more with special rewards to those that prove there devotion threw things like quests as well as what different monsters in the game you chose to kill and interact with.

Originally posted by Warp@Apr 14 2006, 11:28 PM
I prefered the gods in EQ. You worshiped the god but got no bonuses or hinderances from worshiping any specific god. I also liked how gods could be challenged and you could kill them (well specifically you killed their avatar and not them). It was rather enjoyable, at least in the Velious Era.
I don't know if I would like that all too much. More diversity, more different people. If different gods give different buffs, then you could have huge variences in even class/class combinations now besides just race!

Back