Simutronics: Good?

Riceman said:
Simutronics is on track to really break ground with Hero's Journey. What worries me isn't Simutronics' handling of HJ itself but rather the lack of marketing and PR....

Thats not that bad imho...they will start their PR campain when they have something solid to show. What worries me more is the lack of communication between Simu and fansites...there is none...

Well I consider MMORPG.com to basically be a fan site, plus there is some responce on most of the better known HJ sites I frequent.
There's just been no real new info in awhile, and the in-depth wyr explination sorta only semi-counts. I think most people are familiar in some way with socket enhancment gameplay.

If HJ released info to satisfy every whim of curiosity from even fansites there would be nothing new by game release. Ideas would end up incorporated into other games before HJ saw the light of release day.

How would HJ know that there weren't employees for its competitors within this or any other HJ forum pleading for information?

There are lots of HJGM members here who would/could probably loose their positions giving out information when their not supposed to. The gaming industry is extremely competitive and millions are spent behind the scenes on new ideas and products in an attempt to develope the killer game.

I honestly don't understand the attempts at milking information and the dissatisfaction at the way information is or isn't being handled in such a competive business enviroment when this is common knowledge. In addition, we've joined a forum for a game thats almost a year in advance of release.

I'd like to know what you guys would do for your fansites if you invested a few million in a product, the ideas for which could be stolen before release. How would you despense your information to your awaiting fanbase?

How would you release information to the general public and on what kind of timescale?

Thaos, that whole.. Steal ideas thing is the most naive thing I've seen posted here yet.
MMOs follow a pattern and HJ is not any different. They should borrow ideas from one another and improve the genre as a whole.
But there is info that can be released regularly and has been, just some of it's sort of repeative.l

Luciro said:
Thaos, that whole.. Steal ideas thing is the most naive thing I've seen posted here yet.
MMOs follow a pattern and HJ is not any different. They should borrow ideas from one another and improve the genre as a whole.
But there is info that can be released regularly and has been, just some of it's sort of repeative.l

Stealing ideas *IS* always happening, and a continuing issue among all gaming companies... a competition for subscribers. If HJ gets my dollar, then DAoC, AO, WoW, CoH/CoV, EQ/EQ2, SWG, & SB aren't. Lookie at all 'em abbreviations: :cool:

And you know, it's not naive...

~ Jaraeth

...Steal ideas thing is the most naive thing I've seen posted here yet. MMOs follow a pattern and HJ is not any different. They should borrow ideas from one another and improve the genre as a whole.

umm..::blink blink:

er...:squint:

Well, thank you. I've seen all I needed to see.

Who here supports EQ 2? Is it really the same ol' standard features that bring us to one game or another? Do they all execute them all the same?
HJ thus far seems almost completely built around currently implimented ideas that exist elsewhere.
So now you're going to accuse HJ of... Being thieves? Cutting into the competitions top secret ideas? Well they probably are, I guess saying you've improved everything else another game has to offer then it has to work. Right?
Or is the slotting to improve? (Co#) Forced dual classing? (GW) Instanced missions catered to the individual or group? (various) Attire choice? (various) Paladin? (various) Class base over skill base? (EQ, EQ2, WoW, need I go on?) PvP? (any good MMO) Faction? (EQ, so on and on) Fantasy genre? (many) Deep customization choices? (Horizons, Co#, SWG, EQ2, on and on) Human, orc, elf, gnome, dwarf, cat animorph using different names.. (various) RP servers? (most) All new to you guys? Sorry, but I've seen it before.
HJ's draw isn't any of this, because it already exists elsewhere. I'm not going to accuse HJ or Simu of stealing these things either. It's kind of the standard feature when creating a fantasy styled MMORPG for the Western world now a days.
(Edited by Jaraeth)

::blink:: Well, anyway... now that we're past all the name calling...

All games have an NDA (Non-disclosure agreement) of some sort. HJ is no exception. I think it has much more to do with copyright issues related to story, ideas, gameplay concepts, etc. rather than system info.

As for gameplay, HJ has many things in common with other MMOs. This is a direct result of it also being an MMO as there are certain things that inherently make a game an MMO. Simu faces the same challenge all new MMO developers face: drawing in an audience. Since it is desirable from a business perspective to draw in as many players as possible, why would they completely ignore things that have worked in other games? By not including those things listed in Luciro's post, Simu would be alienating a large player base.

This is not to say that there won't be new gameplay content included, however. Information on this is most certainly not being released yet as it is still early enough in development that the game release could be pushed back again. Why would Simu release details to the public about an innovative concept for gameplay when there's a chance that they still may have to push back release, thereby giving the competition a window to include that innovation in their own titles?

It is not naive to realise the gaming industry is a business, and as such will result in competition between companies to built a bigger and better product. It is naive, however, to think that gaming companies will not try to one-up eachother if they were to share information. They all compete for the same consumer dollars after all. In a perfect world, we would all share ideas without consequence and have money trees in our backyards. But unfortunately, we all know how less than perfect this world is.

That's a more proper way to think of it Evran.
I believe HJ is holding onto some things, and yes they could be ground breaking.
But holding back information to keep the consumer base interested for the sake of thinking competition would snatch up and impliment it all is silly. You have to show innovation even early on and when that's what brought you to the dance, you should keep it up.

I would hate the idea of a IM system for talking, especially one you had to alt-tab out of the game to use. This to me would kind of kill immersion and roleplay. In most mmos, there aren't any really global chats, such as /shout /ooc for example, those are basically region or zoned based if the game has zones. Usually the only real global chats were player created channels. WoW kind of integrated chat channels into their communication lineup, by putting you in one or 2 by default (ie. newbie channel, etc). I would hate to see communication tools such as /shout /ooc or whatever taken out completely, favoring instead an option to filter unwanted chats.

Back