Simutronics mention in Wired article

Which still means that he has to buy the Expansion first, so as to stay halfways competitive.
...and it also means that a lot of the available Items in the Game become obsolete, along with related Content (like Quests and Raids where you get the Stuff).

Rise of Kunark supposedly just did that, although i don't know from first Hand Experience. But It's said that not only is the new maxlevel quested Gear superior to old Raidgear, but also is the new earlygame Stuff Way better than old Items of the same (or even higher) Levelrange.

But then, why go to the Expansion if you can't get better Items ?
(There could be many Reasons for me, but not so many for the Masses of Achievers)

Rise of Kunark supposedly just did that,

True and not true, because Rise of Kunark upped the level cap, it had to put in some new gears for level 70-80 players. That being said, of course they're the best, because the level cap was raised.

I think a better example of what you're talking about would be in Anarchy Online. When the Shadowlands expansion came out, of course everything you looted in that expansion area had to be better than what you had... and likewise with Alien Invasion... Lost Eden... it was a bit ridiculous. You spent all this time getting the best possible gear, and then an expansion came out and you had to do it all over again. It was like a chore.

On the other end of the spectrum, you could have situational based gear, like in Ragnarok Online where you could equip cards on different pieces of equipment that say... made you take less damage from a certain race of mobs, or hit a certain race of mob harder, or made your armor a certain elemental property as to take less damage from... whatever.

Honestly to me that was a lot more annoying than expansion chasing.

I did like one thing that Anarchy Online did, by introducing a concept of "leveling" gear that leveled with you and added bonuses that were applicable to your level. Some gear might have had a gear "level cap" but for the most part, it would stay up to par with you and you wouldn't have to change it very often.

I like what HJ is doing in the sense of having a gear-less system, so everybody can look how they want to, and for those who do like the bonuses from equipment, there's always the Wyr.

It's not entirely about a raised level cap.. WoW did the whole thing too. The best gear for a low level is found in the new expansion starting areas. The monetary gain is normally better in those places as well.

As for Ragnarok's system..how is that different from a gearless system? Well, besides the fact that the ragnarok characters then got a hat.

I'd imagine that all the gear in HJ will be "powerless" until you added the desired wyrs. The expansions should only introduce new styles of "powerless" gear and wyr. I would think the old gear would benefit just as much as the new gear with new wyr unless theres an "outfit" where certain wyr give additional bonus to gear.
*This is all my opinion of course

It doesn't matter if it's Wyr or Wearables that bring the Bonuses - in Heros Journeys Case the Expansion-Wyr would make old Wyr obsolete, along with old Content.
...unless the Expansion would Focus on a new Wyrslot, that would also be retrofitted to old Armor, that is'.

Back