Drama Sin City (2005)

Got back a few hours ago from seeing it...ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!!

It was shot amazingly...seriously can't get over it.

It really isn't for the faint of heart...but since in black and white, really not that gory, I suppose.

And I loved how the story came full circle.

Awesome, awesome movie!! I'm hoping to go see it again before it leaves theaters! :D

I've already seen it twice (yesterday and earlier today), and I freakin' LOVED it. It's definitely one of the BEST movies I have ever seen. Definitely a triumph for Rodriguez and Miller. I've only read the first graphic novel (The Hard Goodbye, Marv's story), but it's amazing to see how exact they got the look of the film. Mickey Rourke looks EXACTLY like Marv. He was amazing, and so was Clive Owen. The Big Fat Kill was my favorite story. And I just have to say that Devon Aoki was awesome as Miho. And Elijah Wood is CREEPY AS HELL as Kevin. Oh my God, it's SOOO good. I'm definitely seeing it many more times. Definitely one of my favorite movies ever now.

I just wanted to add a few more lines that stuck with me:

Yeah? You already made a big mistake yourself: You didn't flush. (Clive Owen)

Tying knots is my specialty. (Rosario Dawson)

I was more useless than a palsy victim trying to do brain surgery with a pipe wrench. (Bruce Willis)

I can only express puzzlement that verges on alarm. (Talkative Bad Guy)

Get senator Roark behind bars? Sure; and maybe after I've pulled off that miracle, I'll go and punch out God. (Bruce Willis)

ms.katejones said:

I was more useless than a palsy victim trying to do brain surgery with a pipe wrench. (Bruce Willis)

Get senator Roark behind bars? Sure; and maybe after I've pulled off that miracle, I'll go and punch out God. (Bruce Willis)
[post="1286743"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

You definitely picked the quotes out that stuck with me too!

ms.katejones said:

[post="1286743"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Those are some great quotes there. I also really like "Is that the best you got, pansies?" and "I took his weapons away. Both of them." Hehehe.

dfd3657 said:
Those are some great quotes there. I also really like "Is that the best you got, pansies?" and "I took his weapons away. Both of them." Hehehe.
[post="1287143"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

This movie really was one long quotable quote. I gotta give Feank Miller props for coming up with this stuff. I wanna go see it again now!

ms.katejones said:
This movie really was one long quotable quote. I gotta give Feank Miller props for coming up with this stuff. I wanna go see it again now!
[post="1287359"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Me too!

Like the minute my boyfriend and I walked out of the theater, I turned to him and asked "You wanna see it again?"

:lol:...loved it, and I'm definitely planning on catching it again before it leaves theaters.

Is it bad that I literally laughed out loud during this part? The way Bruce delivered that line was just perfect, not too over the top.

tippinlover said:
Is it bad that I literally laughed out loud during this part?  The way Bruce delivered that line was just perfect, not too over the top.
[post="1287398"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I think a lot of people laughed at that line. I know I did. And then wondered if that was wrong.

full_bLown_Rose said:
I was just looking up the comic book and Nancy is all nude.  The only thing she has is her lasso.
[post="1289373"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Jessica Alba has a no nudity clause in her contract and RR was fine with it. Nancy has a hat and chaps and that's pretty much it. He let the actors decide whether or not they wanted to be nude. I agree with Jessica though, her wearing a bikini along with the chaps was sexy enough and even though it would have been more authentic to the GN it would have been distracting.

sugababyboo said:
Jessica Alba has a no nudity clause in her contract and RR was fine with it. Nancy has a hat and chaps and that's pretty much it. He let the actors decide whether or not they wanted to be nude.  I agree with Jessica though, her wearing a bikini along with the chaps was sexy enough and even though it would have been more authentic to the GN it would have been distracting.
[post="1289401"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

lol...distracting is an understatement. My boyfriend was having a hard enough time concentrating with all of the 'hotties' in the movie, definitely including Jessica. If she had been topless, oh goodness :rolleyes:

full_bLown_Rose said:
I saw it on Sunday
kevin and Miho didn't even talk at all in the movie.
hah Miho likes turning heads into pez dispensers.

I definitely want to watch it again  :D
[post="1289291"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Heh. How could I forget the pez dispenser comment? I might have to go see this movie again soon!

So, we were talking about Sin City before class today, and the TA told us that she thought this movie was very misogynistic b/c all the women are prostitutes/dancers/barmaids/scantily clad/victims of violence/etc. I was wondering if you guys agree.

Personally, I wasn't bothered by the depictions of women b/c a) it's just a movie b) the women were shown as strong and in control, esp. in Old Town c) EVERYONE in the movie was a victim of violence, not just women. Plus, since the movie deals with criminals, it makes sense that the women would be involved in activities like prostitution. It's not like they're just sitting around waiting to get saved either. Wendy actively searches for her sisters killer and Miho saves Dwight in the tar pits.

ms.katejones said:
So, we were talking about Sin City before class today, and the TA told us that she thought this movie was very misogynistic b/c all the women are prostitutes/dancers/barmaids/scantily clad/victims of violence/etc. I was wondering if you guys agree.

Personally, I wasn't bothered by the depictions of women b/c a) it's just a movie b) the women were shown as strong and in control, esp. in Old Town c) EVERYONE in the movie was a victim of violence, not just women. Plus, since the movie deals with criminals, it makes sense that the women would be involved in activities like prostitution. It's not like they're just sitting around waiting to get saved either. Wendy actively searches for her sisters killer and Miho saves Dwight in the tar pits.
[post="1291266"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I definitely agree with you. It is just a movie, mearly meant for entertainment purposes. And all the women were extremely strong, and were able to take care of themselves without a man.

You could almost (and I mean almost) make a case for it showing women in a positive light...just be being self supporting and that (and trust me, I know that's a stretch). :P

I do think it's mysogynistic, but it's still just a movie. The depictions of the women didn't bother me because I knew what the film was about and I expected those particular portrayals and I agree with Jamison, in a lot of ways, those women were proven to be self-sufficient and since Sin City is a criminal minded town, it's not surprising that they used prostitution as a means of supporting themselves.

But yes, it's absolutely mysogynistic because, in the end, most of the women needed to be saved or vindicated by one of the male characters.