Small website income?

I'm just curious but, would it be possible to rent a $8/mo website (A plan without any ads on the webpage.) and then place your own selected ads on to it in order to make a small amount of income? Roughly enough to pay off the $8/mo in addition to something more.

They already do this, and they make millions. =] I'll try and digg.... haha, digg.. up the add somewhere and link you to it.

Well you can get pretty good deals for about $4 or $5/mo... but as to whether you can get enough hits on the ads to pay for the site, that depends on how many hits you'll get and people clicking through on the ads. The average hobbyist probably wouldn't. If you had a large community kind of site, however, you might do it with Google's ad program, or something.

The trick is to getting people to pay you to put ads on your site. Unless you have a big draw, or a site designed for your local community, you won't be able to get anything other than the scam-ads.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would be good choices for "Ad Programs" to use? The site -should- get a decent amount of unique veiws. As I said, even enough to pay off a part of the $8/mo would be considered a success for me.

I find anything other than Google Ads completely annoying. If the site has a pop up or dhtml/flash overlay ads, I will leave the site immediately.

I agree Nav unless i absolutly need something from that site which is very rare. The thing with google ads if im not mistaken is that your users also have to click the ads in order for you to get the income its not much like 5-10c at the most i beleave.

Programs well there ya have it google is the only one I can recommend since its really the only one I've used. If you start getting thousands of unique hits a month then you'll end up making up at least a portion of what your putting in. $8 isn't all that hard to make back as long as you have some decent traffic.

Btw what is your site about that ur making?

WatchMaker said:
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would be good choices for "Ad Programs" to use? The site -should- get a decent amount of unique veiws. As I said, even enough to pay off a part of the $8/mo would be considered a success for me.
I've already done that.

Navarre said:
I find anything other than Google Ads completely annoying. If the site has a pop up or dhtml/flash overlay ads, I will leave the site immediately.

What about banner ads, though? They don't interfere with browsing and are much more "there" than Google Ads.

WatchMaker said:
Then was it really required for you to post that? :confused:
Yes, because the way your question was worded seemed to gloss over the fact that one had been given. Was just making sure you'd seen it.

Get your hosting provider that allows php, install and run phpadsnew ( http://www.phpadsnew.com/ ) and insert banner ads for whomever you chose, set them up... and watch the banners rotate, display, stop/start whenever you want. Then you can also keep track of how many times an ad was clicked, viewed/displayed, and who's allowed to have their ad displayed more or less often than anyone else ;)

I have had sites where I've used PHP Ads New, and it works amazing. But it's not a "set it up and forget it" thing... like google ads or anything.

~ Jar

Back