Smile

Hey everyone, I wrote this fic a long time ago (it was my first) and have posted in other places. But someone encouraged me to post here as well. So here goes:

Disclaimer: I own nothing....too bad.

A/N: This was written before much of Season Two (so Sydney and Vaughn were still asset/handler and we didn't know much about Irina and Francie was not evil). And it takes place in the future.

Chapter One

Sydney Bristow stares at herself in the full-length mirror. She touches her hair, all done up to make sure everything is in place. She looks at her own image, but somehow, the woman looking back isn’t exactly someone that she knows. The woman in the mirror is mature and a serious cloud hangs over her head. What happened to that lively, brilliant girl who could kick any guy twice her size’s ass? Trying to be that girl was getting harder and harder every day. She once promised someone that she wasn’t going to let darkness overtake her, but she isn’t that girl anymore. She has grown up and wants more than anything to just have a normal life. People don’t (shouldn’t) let their jobs control every single waking moment. People are suppose to be able to tell the truth to their closest friends, and most importantly, people are suppose to love without fear.

Today is supposed to mark the beginning of that life. Today is her wedding day. Her hand travels down the white silky dress as she let’s out a sigh. Why is she sighing? Why isn’t she all giddy like normal women her age are when they get married? “It’s the right time” she repeats to herself over and over again. But always at the end, she tags on “isn’t it?” Of course it is. All her friends from High School are all working on their second child and she isn’t even married yet. Plus, she isn’t getting any younger. Cover-up isn’t only good for hiding bruises anymore. After smoothing out the ends of the dress, her hand returns to her neck. So bare, there is simply something missing. Something’s missing. This is the most magical day (so she has been told). Only one thing baffles her: why isn’t she smiling?

“Hey sweetie,” her best friend Francie opens the door “Look at you!” she squeals.

“Hey, ” Sydney replies with a forced smile.

“Didn’t I tell you you should have your wedding outside. Today is so beautiful. It is just perfect. Everything is just perfect. Your hair, your dress, your husband-to-be.” If people don’t know better, they would think that Francie is the one getting married. She is glowing all over. “And have you seen your guy…oh my, is he looking mighty fine today.” There she goes with that smile again.

“Actually, I haven’t seen him since three days ago.”

“ Oh well, of course you haven’t. You’ve been busy. And today, well, you two can’t see each other just yet.”

“ You don’t actually believe it’s bad luck…”

“ It is I tell you! My cousin, you know the one that’s been married four times? Well, she didn’t believe any of that stuff…the first three times. And what happened? None of them worked. The last time, she didn’t see the groom, and she hasn’t called yet looking for a lawyer. Anyway, you are not going to have that problem because nothing is going to ruin wedding or your marriage. You know what Syd? Sometimes I think you have most perfect life.”
Sydney almost smiles at the irony of Francie’s words. If you only knew Francie, she thinks to herself.

“ You already have the looks and now you’re going to have the perfect guy.”

“ I guess you’re right.” Sydney sighs again. “Andrew is pretty great.”

“ Pretty great? He’s wonderful!”

“ Geez Francie. I never knew you had such a thing for my boyfriend.” Sydney teases, but her words are filled with sarcasm, and she doesn’t know why.

“ Well, have you met another man as sweet and caring toward you?”

Sydney quickly turns away. She has. You just don’t know him, Sydney thinks. No one knows. No one is suppose to know. Francie senses Sydney’s distance.

“ Besides Danny I mean,” Francie says quietly thinking that is reason Syd’s acting all weird on her own wedding day. “Is that what’s the matter Syd? Because I’m really sorry. I wasn’t thinking.”

“ Nooo, Francie that’s not it. Don’t blame yourself.”

“ Then why do you look like the unhappiest bride in the world?”

“ I’m not sure.” And that’s the honest truth. “I guess it’s just cold feet.” Sydney thinks, “But should I feel this cold? Andrew is great. He is handsome and sweet. He is from the East, graduated from Georgetown. He is a doctor and his parents seem like very nice parents. He is so normal and that’s what I love about him. He gives me normality that other people (person) can’t. I won’t make the same mistake twice and tell him about what I do. It will be hard, but it’s just less complicated and dangerous. I will forever have two lives: Sydney Bristow double agent for CIA and Sydney Bristow the girl that everyone thinks has the perfect life. I am learning that those two lives simply shouldn’t be intertwined.”

“ Sydney? Sydney?” Francies waves her hand in front of Sydney’s face.

“ Hmmmm?”

“ Are you sure you’re all right?”

“ Yes, thank you.” She leans over to give Francie a hug.

“ Good, I’ll check up on you again later.” Francie starts to leave, but turns around quickly. “Oh, I almost forgot. A gift arrived for you this morning. A delivery person said it was a pre-wedding gift. I don’t know. I’ve never heard such a thing. I didn’t understand why the person couldn’t give it to you as a wedding gift like normal people. Here it is.” She hands Sydney a small box.

Sydney takes the box slowly and wonders why someone would give her a gift before the ceremony. Then she understands. She feels a lump in her throat and a tear building under her eyes up as she opens the gift.

“I can’t believe he remembered…”

HEY I'VE SEEN THIS!!! :thinks: Where have I seen this? I LOVED THIS!! And I think I might cry, because if I remember correctly, the next chapter was 😭 worthy on my part. I luve this fic!

Dani

eeeekkk "i can't believe he remembered' was from friends too!!!!! eeekk! i love this already!
--Mandy :angelic:

Andrew? She can't marry Andrew? I'm sure he's lovely person and loves her very much and all that, but it's just not possible. You're doing a great job, please post the next chapter soon.
~kate

awww...

Who's Andrew? Damn him for getting in the way of our Vaughnie!!

Nice on the gift though, Vaughn. Good touch.

Rachel

P.S.- Did I forget to mention that you should post more? Well do!

yeah whos this andrew dude?hmm thats my annoyin brother!!no thats another andrew!!! anyways hope you plan on doing more!!! :D

::major gasp:: whos andrew!?!?!?!?!?! shes not married to vaughn!?!?!?!?! noooo!!!!!!! u gotta post more if theres more!!

Wait a minute...I might have read this before too. And if it is, I loved it!

The only thing I'd recommend is to watch the tenses of verbs you write, but the idea is great!

My first angel fic is here! :D :D

I love this fic!! Hehe you know that, but oh well.... :P

Still love it.

Trish

ETA: no inlove smilie. :(

Thank everyone for reading...

aliasjgfanaticmv - You think I'd just end it there?? this is only the beginning.... :D

liliana - thanks for reading. hopefully you won't have to wait too long.

aliaschick4mv - Elle!!!*FThug* or is it Dani...lol...you confusing girl. You may have read this already.... But it's really not THAT sad (no one is dead in this one)....hands a tissue anyway.

mystery_chick - Was it on friends??? I love friends....but I don't remember... yay, I quoted friends unconsciously!! yay!!

kate_jones - you're so right...she CAN'T marry andrew. I mean..who would wanna marry "a lovely person that loves her very much?".... :P j/k.

wildwildrae - How did you know the gift is from Vaughn?? ;) I didn't even say anything...ah, You're too smart!!

spysurfergrl247 - Thank you sooooooo much for reading.

ames723 - Who's Andrew seems to be like the BIG question...lol. Maybe it is your annoying brother... :eek: Then you'd be a part of Syd's family! ;)

spy41 - I will keep going...no worries. :D

Xtremelimits08 - Well, Andrew is the guy that Syd's gonna marry....and it has come to a concensus, that people don't really like him. Go figure! :P

iL0v3vAuGhN - lol. I have never gotten a gasp before. Thanks. Did you think that she was gonna marry Vaughn? Vaughn is marrying me!!!! :P j/k.

Thank you everyone who read and reviewed. Here is the next part:

Chapter Two

Sydney is completely still as she holds the small box in her hands, unable to move her eyes away. She quickly blinks away the tear before Francie sees.

“Uh, Syd? How do you know whom it’s from? I haven’t even given you the card that goes with it yet.”

That snaps Sydney out of her thoughts. Her heart skips a beat as she realizes that there’s a card too. Francie hands her a white envelope with her name written neatly on the center. She has never seen his handwriting before, but somehow the pen strokes are familiar. Her name had never looked so special on paper. She extends her shaky hand and reaches for the envelope.

Francie has never seen Sydney like this. Francie may be oblivious to why Sydney devotes her time so much to an insignificant bank job, but she knows her friend on other levels. Even though she doesn’t know why, she slowly backs away towards the door because she knows it is the right thing to do at the moment. She opens her mouth to say she’ll be back later, but decides that Sydney probably wouldn’t even hear her anyway and quietly closes the door behind her.

Sydney puts the box carefully on the nearest table and takes out the card from the envelope. It is a small white card with an angel drawn in silver lining. She takes her index finger and traces the outline a few times and thinks back to a cold night in a huge stadium. The men with guns were well hidden but she sensed them eyeing her every move. She clicked on her earpiece. “Who am I talking to?” Don’t let it be that Lambert.

She had never felt so relieved to hear the friendly voice that she thought only a few days ago that she might not ever hear again. “ Your invisible friend.” How true, she thought. That was the first turning point in their relationship. It was beginning to move from a strictly professional work relationship towards a friendship.

“Good. Where are you?” Please let him be near. Her own thoughts surprised her. It was beginning to register that this wasn’t exactly a risk-free operation. She didn’t trust Anna or K-directorate, and she certainly didn’t trust the men with guns. She wasn’t even sure if she could trust the CIA. “Satellite relay station back in LA, watching you from a two hundred mile orbit.” Relief went from her head to her toes, which picked her mood right up.

“My guardian angel,” she turned her head upward as to really acknowledge him up there in the sky watching over her. She couldn’t see him, but she knew he was smiling. “I was going to say the same thing to you…”

As the memory draws to an end, Sydney returns to the present. She realizes that she has only been looking at the front of the card. It says so much. She almost laughs at her own stupidity for thinking she had already read the card. She slowly opens the card and reads:

Sydney,
To make your special day just a little more perfect- the way you always imagined. Sorry I can’t be there.
V.

She moves her head from side to side because she couldn’t believe he remembered. Then she shakes her head harder at her herself because she couldn’t believe she almost forgot that he always listened to everything she said, no matter how insignificant.

It was five months ago, one month after she got engaged to Andrew. They were sitting across from each other in the warehouse. It was one of the shortest debriefings they ever had. The meetings were getting shorter and shorter, and she didn’t know how to stop the trend. It was partly because things were at the point of routine. She could almost guess what they wanted her to do even before a Joey’s Pizza’s call was made. They quickly exchanged business words like a formality. Then they sat uncomfortably in silence. Both knew the meeting was officially over but no one moved. Then he broke the silence.

“ Uh, so how is the planning going?” he asked while staring at the dirty floor.
At first she was completely taken back by surprise. They hadn’t talked about personal things in a long time. She couldn’t pinpoint exactly when they stopped sharing little tidbits about their lives outside their jobs, but she had a feeling it was when she and Andrew started becoming a little more serious.

“Um, It’s going good…uh, Francie is helping me a great deal. Who needs a planner, when they’ve got Francie.” He chuckled a little back at the floor. “She is so on top of things. I just let her take over. She is a stickler for tradition and superstitious things. I never really cared much about tradition. I don’t think anything about me is traditional.” She stopped just as she realized she was beginning to babble. It had been so long since she talked to him about things other than SD-6 and missions that she didn’t know how to carry on.

“ Like what?”

“ What do mean like what?”

“ Like what type of traditions.” He was seriously making an effort to continue this awkward conversation.

“ Oh. She says there are certain type of flowers that I have to get. We’re going to go look at little bride and groom statuettes tomorrow. And did you know how much goes into seating arrangements? I’m talking serious research into all the guests’ history.” I’m doing it again, she thought. Stop it.

“I didn’t know that. I guess I always imagined a small wedding for myself, not that many guests” he said as he finally lifted his eyes to meet hers.

“ Yeah, me too actually,” now it was her turn to put her head down and stare at her hands. “But, uh Andrew, unlike myself, has a huge extended family and is a very…sociable…person.”

“ I see.”

“Well, all the traditions aren’t bad. I know it’s really only done on the day of the wedding, but you know that tradition where the bride is suppose to get something old, something new, something borrowed, and something blue?”

He simply nodded. “Um, I know it’s silly, but I always wanted one thing for the blue part. When I was six right after my mom died, I lived with my grandmother for awhile before my Dad found a permanent nanny. Anyway, she had this beautiful silver necklace. It had a deep blue stone. If I squinted really hard I could see my little face, it was so clear blue.” She paused to remember it exactly. She was off in her own memory world, and he just stared at her staring into space. “ There were little diamonds surrounding the blue that sparkled in the light. The darkness of the blue and the light of the white diamonds were in balance. My grandmother said she would give it to me on my wedding day. I always remembered that. Little girls think about their wedding days and all I knew for sure was that I wanted that necklace.”

“ Is she coming to the wedding?” he asked

She almost forgot he was there she was so wrapped in her own childhood thoughts. “um, no. She died a few years ago of a heart attack. The house was never sold, but a wild fire two years ago burned most of it. I heard that some things on the top floor were still saved, but I couldn’t bring myself to go back there.”

“ I’m sorry,” he added quietly.

“ It’s okay really. I don’t know why I brought that up. I just thought if I had that blue necklace, it would just make the day just a little more perfect. You know?”

“Yeah, I know...” He did know. He understood it all.

The sound of tapping on the door brings her back to reality.

Sydney feels her eyes just to make sure no one would see her crying on her own wedding day, takes a deep breath and says, “Come in.”

btvaughn - Thank you. I will try to watch the tenses..It does get confusing because I jump back and forth in time a lot. Thanks. :D

Trish - TRISH!!!!! MY FISH!!! *FThug* I dunno why I decided to suddenly post here... :lol: What can I say?... Reviews are like food.

aliaschick820 - Thanks. I like cute stuff. :D Sit tight...and see if she marries him...

:lol: Angel, I'm posting here too so I can't say much. Do you post at Allies? (PM me your answer, cuz no OT convos are allowed) :P

Chapter 2 was too sweet. Yes, yes, I re-read it. Do you have a problem with that?

Vaughn is just too sweet for words. It's strange, i know what happens and yet I feel anxious. :blink: I'm a weird person...

You're a terrific writer! This story is awesome so far! LMAO!! I feel weird because I'm registered in a lot of places, but I've never read this LMAO! And uh, around here, I'm Jo :smiley:

Back