Politics Smoking in Resturants/Public places

Are you Pro or Con for Smoking in Resturants and public places?

• Pro (Yes)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Con (No)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay against smoking in resturants and public places.... I am soooo sick of comming
home from a place and smelling like a stinky filthey ashtry!

You?????

i HATE smoking, i think it should be banned completely, not just in pubs and restaurants.

i mean its not even kwl, because
a) you stink
b) you turn yellow
c) you kill yourself
d) you kill others as a result of your stupidy

I'm not trying to offend smokers here but i just really really dislike it and completely agree with the ban

i HATE smoking, i think it should be banned completely, not just in pubs and restaurants.

i mean its not even kwl, because
a) you stink
b) you turn yellow
c) you kill yourself
d) you kill others as a result of your stupidy

I'm not trying to offend smokers here but i just really really dislike it and completely agree with the ban
totally agree (y)

I'm against it, but it's interesting this topic was brought up, because this has become quite the hot button issue in my state.

Recently all the healthcare facilities (hospitals, clinics, etc) in my area have decided to be non-smoking. While smoking has not been allowed in the actual buildings for quite some time, they were allowed to smoke on the grounds, and now they will not allowed to do so.

There's been quite a debate, and we've spent several class periods in my public administration class discussing it. The argument from smokers is that they have the right to smoke. I, personally, think that's a rather silly argument, because a non-smoker could easily counter that they have the right to not breathe in the smoke.

I view it as something similar to a dresscode. I have every right to wear a mini skirt, tube top and die my hair purple, but if I work in a hospital I'm not allowed to wear those things. I have to dress a certain way. Why should smoking be any different?

I live in a area where smoking is totally banned in restaurants and only allowed in bars with separate ventilation systems. You get so used to the fresh air. So when I go to a restaurant where they have a non-smoking section (which is a joke), it really is disgusting--the smell --yuck. Food and smoke don't mix.

Its called a non-smoking section. ANd for the record, I hate when people smoke, but they have every right to.

Talk about restricting civil liberties.

Its called a non-smoking section. ANd for the record, I hate when people smoke, but they have every right to.

Talk about restricting civil liberties.

Yes, it's called "non-smoking" but that doesn't mean you're free of smoke. Usually the non-smoking section is on the other side of the room, not in an entirely separate space. If smokers have the right to smoke, don't non-smokers have the right to breathe in clean air and not be subject to second hand smoke? As someone who suffers from asthma, cigarette smoke can be particularly bothersome.

I think businesses have every right to have such restrictions on smoking. You can't go to a restaurant without shoes on, which you could argue is your right to do, yet people don't argue about that.

You have every right to smoke, in designated areas and on your own property. If the property isn't yours, then I don't know how much say you really have in the matter as a smoker. Especially with my example about the health care facilities.

I never said a buisness didnt have the right to prohibit smoking. If I had a buisness, I would most certainly ban smoking by customers and employees.
Again, I absolutely hate smoking and think that anyone who smokes is missing some nuts and/or bolts.

Yes, it's called "non-smoking" but that doesn't mean you're free of smoke. Usually the non-smoking section is on the other side of the room, not in an entirely separate space. If smokers have the right to smoke, don't non-smokers have the right to breathe in clean air and not be subject to second hand smoke?

^ completely agree

i voted con because, for one, i'm alergic to cigarette/cigar smoke, so its alwasy irritating to me
secondly, like someoen else said, we should be able to breathe clean air if we want to, without being subjected to second hand smoke

anyone who smokes is missing some nuts and/or bolts.
Ouch...

I really understand restaurants should be smoke-free areas. Food and smoke don't mix indeed. The same for smoking in the office, no one should suffer from the smoker's terror! You guys are second-hand smokers, and that sucks. But as much as non-smokers have the right not to smoke, we have the right to smoke. (If we want to kill ourselves, we should be able to do that.)

You have every right to smoke, in designated areas and on your own property. If the property isn't yours, then I don't know how much say you really have in the matter as a smoker.
yup, i agree..

But don't kill us for smoking, the smoking will do that ;)

i'm against people smoking in public places.. nower days you can't go anywhere without being bombarded by smoke... it's horrible..

as most of you know, more people die per year from second-hand smoke than from smoking. the cigarette tax should also be applied to cigarette companies as a profit tax. the way it's working now, most of the tax is shouldered by the smokers themselves, not the companies, which still gives companies to sell and market cigarettes.

as most of you know, more people die per year from second-hand smoke than from smoking. the cigarette tax should also be applied to cigarette companies as a profit tax. the way it's working now, most of the tax is shouldered by the smokers themselves, not the companies, which still gives companies to sell and market cigarettes.

While I do agree with what you're saying, I don't think your statistics are quite right. We have, in recent years, determined that second hand smoke is a lot more dangerous than previously though. But I have not found anything to suggest that more people die from second hand smoke than smoking first hand. While SHS does cause increased riskis of asthma, heart disease, and cancer there haven't been many studies showing whether people who die from those illnesses are exposed to SHS on a regular basis. If you have a study that shows such things I would love to see it, but in my limited research/knowledge on the matter I haven't seen anything to show what you're saying.

That being said, SHS is dangerous, and does cause people to become quite sick. Especially young children that grow up in family of smokers. My boyfriend, for instance, suffered from severe asthma when he was younger, and he grew up in a family where almost his entire family smoked (thank goodness he doesn't). But to play devil's advocate with myself, I also suffered from severe asthma and lung problems when I was growing up, yet didn't come from a family of smokers. So, yes, while the chance of getting a lung or heart related illness increases when exposed to smoke, those illnesses might've occurred anyways. That's why scientists are actively studying the SHS and what it does to those exposed to it.

being from a family of people who smoke, i hate it. i'm the only one besides the cat that doesn't smoke anymore. as of lately, my dad's been really good about keeping smoke out of the house, except in my parents' room (which i can't be in for more than 5 minutes without getting a migraine because of the smell). luckily, i don't have horrible breathing problems or asthma, so i'm lucky. as for smoking in public places, i think it should be completely banned. the general populace doesn't want to breathe your stinky smoke. i especially think so when it comes to restaurants because i'd like to enjoy my food & conversation without coughing & choking on someone else's smoke.

I am aginst smoking in public places. I don't smoke and I don't wnat to smell the smoke. It stinks and its bad for you. Everyone at my workplace smokes but they have to go outside and I'm glad. I had a grandmother who smoked for decades and it really made her breathing bad so I have no desire to do it or even be around it.

If I had my way it would be completely illegal in any public space.
They've just banned it in pubs here, but how does that protect me or my baby brother going down the street?

Back