Snow Time (once a year, for a day, it get's a bit white!)

Tim

Creative Writer
welcome to global warming. In England you are lucky if it snows for one day, and if the snow lasts till the next morning.

Well, this year it has snowed two days running and i went out to smell the fresh air and trudge through the snow, hearing it crunch beneath my boots. When it snows so little in England, you just have to get out and experience it, no matter the temperature or wind, better that than locking yourself inside the house with the central heating on!

ImageShack - Best place for all of your image hosting and image sharing needs

ImageShack - Best place for all of your image hosting and image sharing needs

Is so little snow like that the norm for all of England or just parts of it? In these parts of the world (NorthEast USA) that amount of snow is what we'd call a dusting. ;)

PS: I like the lake shot the best (EXS).

That pic is the river Ouse that goes through the centre of York. No lakes here! North west of us approx 120miles we have The Lake District, where theres lakes. Our land mass is small so we have the occassional pond, but not lakes :smiley:

this snow is actually thick for here! previous years have had snow on the roofs, maybe light dusting on the grass, but nothing settling on pavements or roads except in the darkest unlit corners!

because we have the North Sea on one side and the Atlantic on the other, we experience clashing weather systems that can drag snow clouds around us, with snow hitting northern and west scotland only, to any depth that you could pull your kids around on a sledge!

It's actually quite depressing to be unable to take your kids out for a snowball fight, something you took for granted growing up yourselves. The local papers today are condemning the local council for not gritting the roads yesterday. Well, that may hurt the commuters, but if they have sense they would just drive slower and enjoy the view, a view they hardly ever seen and is surely enough to cheer anybody up!

weather people are saying they look a week ahead and they are seeing worse weather here, it's siberian winds coming west at us, which effect england the worst. temperatures going to drop even further which leads to difficulties as our houses are built to certain specs, our pavements and roads can take a certain range of weather. drivers are being advised to carry around emergency survival kits, but even walking or cycling i carry an emergency blanket and anti-inflammatory drugs round just in case (when you're lying broken on tarmac, the tarmacs damned cold!)

This year has been quite warm in the midwest usa as well. We had snow for Christmas which was a blessing but not much any other time. Saw bees out the other day!

theres massive betting on over here for snow on christmas day. for it to be recorded, something like 4 out of 5 major weather centres have to be covered in proper snow (which pretty much looks like the snow i have shown in the pics!)

i have squirrels and ducks in my back garden, plus a protected green belt area, stream at edge of property protected by law. we hardly ever see bees or even wasps round here. plenty of dirty, maky pigeons in my city, a variety of other birds trying to bite each others heads off for food. but 10 minutes on a bicycle and i get into real countryside with deer, foxes, cows. (the cows are easy to see, the rest you have to surprise :smiley: )

In the spring we get cardinals and bluejays and some hummingbirds. We dont see many crows but there are plenty of hawks eagles and owls.

bead4.JPG

Red-Tailed Hawk, Sharp Shinned Hawk, Harris' Hawk, and Cooper's Hawk. Owls include the Barn Owl, Great Horned Owl, Snowy Owl, Barred Owl and the tiny Screech Owl. The Peregrine Falcon and the American Kestrel both belong to the falcon family and range throughout the Ozark Mountain area. The Ozark's vultures (also called buzzards by some folks) include the Black Vulture and Turkey Vulture.

and we just get your common garden variety of crow, swallow, swift,starlings, sparrows, the occassional magpie or red breasted robin, and i know where a woodpecker lives. we get grouse and pheasants all over the roads in the country (always take a plastic bag in your car to pick it up for sunday lunch if you didn't directly run over it with your wheels!

the only colourful interesting birds round here are next to me, my pair of cockatiels :smiley:

Back