So anybody buy a PSP yet?

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
I was out the local Best Buy this weekend and they're really pushing the PSP games & accessories. Anybody get their hands on one yet?

no im curently resarching the psp but i know very little about it is it true u can watch movies on it and take photos but iv heardb that is has very good grahpics

i saw a posting on another forum about some young lad who, on his lunchbreak, walked half an hour to a shop that had two in stock, to buy one of them. came back with it and says it's great, teh demo movie that comes with it is great.

however, he's only going to use it as an mp3 player until he gets paid next and can afford some games for it !!!!!!!!!!

personally i think he should have left it in the shop till he had the cash to get games at the same time, as now another person walking in with the cash won't have the opportunity to enjoy it now :smiley:

from someone i know who has used one in japan (he visited recently) he says it's gaming is close to a PS2 graphically, the screen is very bright and they are definitely worth the money for what they do in an age where comparitive items like ipods and ps2's, walkman type dvd players are almost the price of the psp each!

Ron, welcome to Cool SciFi!

I haven't heard about photo part of it yet; that new movie disc format has my curiosity. Packaged with the PSP in North American markets will be Spiderman 2.

What's interesting is what Mr. D' alluded to in that people are looking at the new machine as a true multi-media machine as opposed to some of the devices that try to be many things but doesn't excel at any of them (eg: the Nokia N-Gage).

King, I was looking at the DS but I really couldn't justify it to myself upgrading to it from the GameBoy Advance that we already have in the house. The PSP is catching my attention because it can do stuff like audio & video. It'll be curious whether Sony is going after just Nintendo in the portable game market or if they are going to try for two birds at once, Nintendo with games and Apple with media.

Either way I think I'll wait until the price point comes doing a little bit. :P

i recently found out one of my nephews is demanding a psp as a xmas present off his mother. the lads totally destructive, he's personally responsible for destroying his parents kitchen by climbig on all the cupboards and appliances. i think he's about 10 or 11 years old now and still not trust worthy.

anyhow, he thinks it's cool, peer pressure means he has to have one, only he has NO pc or internet. he's going to be severely limited to what uses he can put the psp to. he'll be unable to rip his films to psp format to stick on a memory stick and watch whilst out. come to think of it, that memory sticks going to be pretty much useless period!

reminds me of when his older brother asked for and got an mp3 player for xmas and he ended up with no way to put his music on it!

for now my Palm can play movies, works as an mp3 player and plays simple 8 bit style games. and it does office/organiser stuff, can work with native word, excel files and i'm off to get a foldout infra red powered keyboard for it so it's a lightwight laptop for writing and college work. i didn't need the psp's gaming capabilities (and i've been informed the games aren't very good anyhow by friends that have handled the unit) so my Tungsten E2 seems to beat the psp handsdown on being a true multimedia device and it cost less even if the cpu is lower powered than a psp!!!!

my Palm handles 320x320 resolution, 15fps 120kbs with Kinoma Producer, but TCMPC player means i just rip films with jetaudio at 320x320, 25fps and 200kbs that stutter a little bit but are okay to watch. the psp rates at 320x320, 15fps, 384kbs.

are you going to buy into the myth of the psp being a true multimedia unit or avoid peer pressure and look at a Palm or equivalent instead?

Back