So, did JK.Rowling know she was writing Fantasy?

Tim

Creative Writer
BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Pratchett takes swipe at Rowling

Terry Pratchet slamming the medias sole interest in the HP series to the detriment of the rest of the fantasy novel business

he also questions whether JKR actually got her genres correct in her head :

He also expressed surprise at Rowling's comments that she only realised Harry Potter was fantasy after the first book was published.

"I'm not the world's greatest expert," he wrote.

"But I would have thought that the wizards, witches, trolls, unicorns, hidden worlds, jumping chocolate frogs, owl mail, magic food, ghosts, broomsticks and spells would have given her a clue?"

and is this perhaps delusions of grandeur???

Meanwhile, Rowling celebrated reaching 40 on Sunday, the same day she has given as her young creation's birthday.

oh dear! as time rolls on and historians are left to delve into the snippets of information to collate a larger picture of the phenomena, does anyone feel the whole thing slipping insubstantially between their fingers yet?

One of the things to remember is her background... she isn't the traditional author. Unfortunately I think too many people take that into account when dealing with her in regards to reviews, etc..

Don't get me wrong, I *like* the fact that the HP series has encouraged a whole new generation of kids (and some adults) to be passionate about reading but in some cases the enthusiasm shown by parents has less to do with the actual writing than with the personality behind the writing.

The only good thing is that the fallout from the whole HP craze is leading to other authors in the genre being 'discovered' as the HP fans are eager for reading in-between each of the HP books.

Personally, I'm just hoping that The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe movie coming out this year lets kids re-discover the Narnia series -- That was some of my best loved reading as a kid.

Its funny, I actually picked those books back up and am reading them again. And i'm really looking forward to the movie's itself.

When I first tried to get my g/f to read the series, she gave me this sour look and said no. But when we saw the trailer for the first time, she then wanted to read the books.

It was the same with the HG2G books. She wouldn't read them, even though I told her she would like them, yet after we saw the movie, she read em.

It's weird how books and movies need each other. Harry was huge but he went nuclear when the movies hit.

How many people truly fought through Toilken's Lord of the Rings trilogy before the movies came out (and no, I'm sorry, the singing hobbit cartoon didn't generate that kind of interest. <Shudders to remember the "Frodo of the 4 fingers" song>)?

Truth be told, Hollywood is out of ideas so they'll keep turning books into movies. Books are being left behind because of the information super highway. Everyone wants their reading meal condensed and readily available.

But a new movie comes out based on a book series, suddenly those books matter (or matter again).

I loved the Narnia books as a kid and I am eagerly awaiting the movie...I honestly haven't cracked open the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe in a long, long time, but I just may have to soon....

Back