So I Want To Compose Music Digitally...

... and I lack a means to do so.

What I'm looking for is some manner of free, not-overly-difficult-to-use, decent-quality, musical compilation program. I'm partial to any system that allows me to create sounds note by note, at any point I like, along a sort of spreadsheet grid almost.

Personally, I have tried to find resources and information on such free programs, but everything I have tried has been incomprehensible or unsuitable for my needs. I want to be able to plot out a song instrument by instrument, note by note, sound by sound, with length, modulation, etc, all controlled very precisely and with good sound samples and tools. Everything that seems at all worth my time wants money, and all the free tools that seemed worth my time simply had no explanation that could be understood without already having a good grasp of numerous technical concepts related to digital music, of which I know nothing.

Can anyone help me out? I'm itching to dive into musical composition, but I'm not prepared to spend money on anything that wouldn't fulfill all my needs. Sadly, anything I would be willing to buy is too expensive for me to do so, and so I must go free. But nothing free has been worth my time so far. Quite the conundrum, no?

~Dune~

I am not familiar with any 'free' options. I've used Acid Pro, FruityLoops, and Reason in the past... All great programs, but each cost an arm, leg, and soul. ;) .... perhaps they have lite or demo versions you can toy with for awhile.

Heh. I shoulda mentioned I'm looking for Windows compatible. I've seen several really nice looking free programs that are Linux only and I tore my hair out each time I found one.

Thanks for looking though!

~Dune~

I saw some windows programs. Problem with them is that they wont let you do it by the notes. I'm sure there's a plain midi-type editor somewhere, but it wouldn't be good quality.

I'd suggest getting a keyboard(not of the computer sort) with the ability to memorize keystrokes and play back at will. I have one and they can be relatively less expensive than these programs.

Unless you're a student...Then you could get Cubase for 200.

Seems this isn't a community that has anyone of the real kinda know-how that I think I'd need to get actively started in this sort of thing. Ah well. One of these days I'll just sign up for the OCRemix boards and they can set me on the path I bet.

Thanks anyway folks! Don't worry about it too much!

~Dune~

Back