So long, and thanks for all the fish!

In an effort to satisfy my own curiosity, and possibly to help the HJ devs make a better game, I would like to know what aspect of past MMOs made you leave. Please include the duration of time you played.

The two most recent for me were PlanetSide and WoW.

PlanetSide: 7 months

Left because there was no aspect of the game outside of combat. When done fighting, one would just go back to a safe zone and log out. I was looking for more activities besides this.

WoW: 10 months

Left because the end-game meant farming the same instances repeatedly for loot I did not need. Also, the end-game was a different game than the one I played to get to the end-game. Prior to end-game, the goal was to quest and level. Also, the other aspect I enjoyed, crafting, stopped being a way for my character to be unique, as more and more players gained the same recipes.

God, this might take a while...... I'll just stick to the games I payed for, no betas..

Meridian 59: 6 months. EQ came out

EQ: 2 years. Hmm, lots of reasons. Didn't like alot of the core concepts of the game. Horid customer service, Elitist Devs, Couldn't "solo" by my definition, with a solo class. Worse combat system, ect. Iksar was the only thing that kept me playing for a year.

DAoC: 2 years (but I go back and dabble now and then). Probably my favorite game so far. Great combat, lots of classes, ect. I really didn't like the ToA expansion, and that really pushed me away from the game. ToA was like playing EQ, and I hated EQ.

Horizons: 6 months. Game was not the game it was supposed to be, lag was terrible and stuff was broken at high lvls. Had lizardmen though, so I played about twice as long as I would have.

City of Heroes: 6 months. Liked the game alot, could even deal with the very repetative missions. Grind got to me in the end though.

Saga of Ryzon: 2 months. Lots of good things in that game. My bro left and I didn't have anyone else to play with.

EQ2: 1 month. Couldn't get past the plastic people or really tedious fighting. Very tedious all around.

WoW: 4 months. Knew it was going to suck (for me) 2 years before it came out, but my entire guild went, and to went to the Alliance (EWW). Tried the Alliance twice and Horde once. Quit because it was lame.

SWG: Quit due to broken quests and saw the writing on the wall with the Jedi Expansion.

Guild Wars: 2-3 months. Not a MMO, but I'll play it on occation when I get bored and get that itch.

DDO. 1 month. Combat is great, but had some serious gfx problems on my end. Forced grouping is a killer.

Originally posted by Morneblade@May 26 2006, 08:10 AM
WoW: 4 months. Knew it was going to suck (for me) 2 years before it came out, but my entire guild went, and to went to the Alliance (EWW). Tried the Alliance twice and Horde once. Quit because it was lame.
Could you please be more specific about why you did not like it, and why you left.

FFXI Played for 8 months - Every model, character looked exactly alike. No PvP when I played either.

Lineage 2 Played for 6 months - The grind was horrible. All you would do is grind, grind grind. Nothing else. The PvP was decent though. Too much tedium. Not enough fun.

Matrix Online Played for 3 months - I loved this game, but I quit becuase I needed money. So I sold my account/game for $200 to someone. Other then that, it was a great game. The endless missions were pretty dull though.

Guild Wars Played for 9 months - I really have no idea why I quit this game. I loved almost everything about it. Ran a #1 guild for 3 weeks.

Everquest 2 Played for 1 month - I actually enjoyed the game. The models weren't that bad at all, but the game seemed empty of people.

World of Warcraft Played for 5 months - The ganking isn't what got to me, it was that I didn't have enough time to get my character high level enough to start ganking. The endless questing, mind-numbing tasks. PvP was awsome though in my eyes.

For most games the story can be summed up with "one day I found I just wasn't playing it anymore because reading or drawing or going out was more fun". Those are the games I would probably try again someday (CoH, Horizons, GW, I think I'm forgetting something). THough it wouldn't be fair to say I quit GW. I just only play it once a month or so. :P

The ones that I quit for more specific reasons:

Lineage 2: Played 6 months..I think? They changed character animations on me in a way that really killed my love of the character. Would play again in a heartbeat if they fixed that. (private server may be a solution) I don't really mind grinding. Coming from my 4 years of EQ, there's something almost therapeutic about the rhythm of it (though I didn't make it past 22, and I had the new player bonuses, so maybe I didn't hit the worst of it).

EQ2: 2-3 months at release. Kerra models were hideous, which meant that my husband just couldn't stand to keep playing it. That, and it just wasn't very much fun.

EQ1: 4 years. Game just got too unbalanced to enjoy anymore. Though it was a long time ago that I quit, so I don't remember it all that clearly. I do know I have zero interest to try it again.

Okay this is all going to be pretty rough around the edges, since I don't remember the exact timeframe surrounding them... however, here goes.

Ragnarok Online - Approx. 2 years + 2 years off and on - Played since Alpha, through Beta, through Beta2, to retail. Quit and started back up about 3-4 times. The game was simply a vessel to hang out with some of my best buds. Every time I quit, they kept on playing, so it was hard to resist going back for several months at a time. They've finally moved on from the game thankfully, which gives me ample time to recruit them to HJ ;) They're a more casual crowd, with an emphasis on roleplaying, so it may be right up their alley. Why I quit? Lack of depth, lack of substance, FAR too much pointless grinding and camping mini/bosses with luck involved for drops.

Final Fantasy XI - 1.5 years + 2-3 months current day - Originally imported the game from Japan, due to knowing a rudimentary ammount of Japanese. Found a sizable importer community and made some great friends. Kept playing, leveled about 4 jobs to 60+ in set groups with friends. Eventually quit due to high quantities of drama between rival factions of importers that occured once the game hit retail in the US and the english-speaking community grew exponentially. All of us importers were splintered off into our own respective niches for endgame activities and generally split apart. Due to having friends in three separate factions that disliked eachother, I couldn't stand the heat and ran out of the kitchen. Now, 2 years later, I'm back and playing again with 5-6 folks that remain.

City of Heroes - 3-4 months - Started up CoH with a static group of people that all left FFXI at the same time I did. We had a great time, but eventually all quit once the leveling treadmill just got a bit too tedious what with constant running of instanced missions that were the exact same thing over and over. Good fun, but far too repetative after a while.

World of Warcraft - 1 year - Started playing in a mid-phase of Beta. Played a variety of classes throughout. Eventually started up with the same group from CoH once it hit retail. Played a Hunter to 60 and started up on the raid game. A bit of personal turmoil came about when the leader of our static group claimed that she thought leveling as a group was a mistake due to gimping the amount of people we knew for the raid game. I got a bit pissed due to all the fun we had leveling being deemed a mistake all because of endgame, which I didn't find fun at all. After quitting for EQ2 for a while, I started back up on a different server with a different group of friends. Didn't take too long before I started getting tedious with the style of play + the PvP server they had chosen and quit for good.

Everquest II - 3-4 months off and on - EQII was sort of a transition game between WoW beta and WoW retail, and then between my two major character levelings. Quit due to it being just a mediocre game in all respects, with nothing special and lots of flaws.

The Matrix Online - 1-2 months - Joined during the final phase of Beta and had one of the best times I'd ever had in an online game during the last 4 days which consisted of one large world event that culminated in the equivilant of the apocalypse with fire viruses and eyes in the sky and imploding. Then retail hit, and there wasn't that same spark. Leveling and questing was tedious, live events were overcrowded and laggy despite being overall fun times. Roleplaying was a very big thing, but the gamplay ultimately killed it for me.

And that about sums it up :lol:

Originally posted by Presto+May 26 2006, 04:22 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Presto @ May 26 2006, 04:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Morneblade@May 26 2006, 08:10 AM
Could you please be more specific about why you did not like it, and why you left. [/b][/quote]
Sure, love to Presto.

Ok, for me a MMO is about playing with people. In that respect WoW failed more miserably that any MMO has. Look at their grouping system. You do much better soloing than in a duo, and better in a duo than in a group. Heck, they even designed your typical support classes to solo real well with talents. Then, after you have basically soloed your way to 60 (as I basically did, and almost everyone else I know) now, you must redo your talents so you can RAID. Going from learning to play your class solo, then being forced not to just learn to play in a group is one thing, but going from solo to Raid style grouping it going from 1 extreme to another, and their playstyle is completely different. At it's core, it's the most flawed MMO, ever. On top of that, combat is really lame, PvP is badly implemtented, Endgame is well, been there, done that, and it sucks ass. I knew what it was going to be when I heard that they were bringing in alot of the EQ uberguilds to help in the game, people didn't listen to me then. But as we got to lvl 60, I got to say "I told you so", alot. Oh, and I don't knowwhere they got the idea to make Trolls look so whimpy and Night elves look like Arnold, but I'd like to strangle that guy.

All I can really say about the game that is positive, is that they did a very good job makeing it feel like Warcraft, from a visual standpoint.

Lineage 2- Played it about a year or so ever since open beta. The only reason I stayed with the game was because of my clan. It also was a never ending grind with quests that didn't have any meaning or interest at all. But the PvP was a blast especially during seiges when a lot of people showed up. But in the end it was the grind and lack of content, also the fact that no matter how hard you worked some new kid would just come in and buy just as good of gear that you had worked months to get, kinda discourging.

Wow- only played about a month. Didn't like playing as a cartoon imo. Also the content just wasn't my cup of tea.

played SWG for about 5-6 months right after it was released. Everything was expansive and in depth with a lot of character specialization. It just didn't seem like a very "finished" game to me. I really enjoyed the open ended experience, but eventually it seemed a little to open ended with little motivation to keep climbing up the experience tree. Kind of funny to hear people still rant about how SWG still isn't "finished". Its been years for crying out loud!

Thats not to say that mmorpgs can't have a certain level of evolution during their lifecycle. They just shouldn't start that lifecycle pre-maturely and end causing more headaches than fun.

Played WoW for a little over 12 months. Stuck around a few months longer than I would have liked cuz my brother and some friends were still playing. Same old story with me though. I hit the 60 wall hard :( I just hope other developers learn from the things that Blizzard did well, but not strictly limit themselves to that kind of mmog experience.

*btw, thanks for the mention on the homepage Presto. I'm famous! :lol:

Lets see....
Played Sierra's Imagine....BSS world until they shut it down. Went with Realm about a year after it started and have gone through the changes with Codemasters and now with Norseman. Play Realm very little and probably still belong because it is so inexpensive.

Played Ultima for about a year. HATED the crafting. Finally got too tedious to continue.

Played SWG for 1 month. Met the absolutely worst group of people ever. Never saw so much scamming etc. Left for that reason.

Played Everquest for about a year and a half. Because of the schedule I have with our business I can't always game to someone elses schedule. That keeps me playing solo quite a bit. Solo isn't something done well in Everquest. And I absolutely, positively, determinedly, for ever and ever, CAN'T STAND having to go track my corpse down to get my stuff EVERY time I get killed!!!!! Which, as a solo player, was quite often.

:angry:

Love to RP but other than Imagine the others just didn't have what it takes for good RP :blink: :D

These are all great responses everyone.

You're welcome Faemus :smiley:

Totally agree about the soloing Nainci. It's not about being anti-social, it's about our daily lives limiting our ability to find others to group with when we do have time to play.

I played FFXI for 1 year. It was my first MMORPG and I loved it. Of course, I didn't know any better and had nothing else MMO-wise to compare it to. I quit for a number of reasons. The #1 reason was the economy was completely out of whack. I wanted to try to level a Galkan Monk and at level 20 I realized that if I ever wanted to be useful to a group once I hit level 40+ then I'd pretty have to farm for at least 8 months to afford the necessary gear. I had my Bard/Whitemage to fall back on (she could always get group invites) but I wanted to try something different and the equipment costs made that difficult. This inflation was caused by a huge amount of farmers/campers, gold buyers/sellers and a general lack of equipment diversity. The other main reason that I cancelled my account was that the game didn't support solo play after level 10 unless you played as a Beastmaster. I don't like being forced to play one class if I want to solo from time to time.

Immediately after I quit FFXI I started playing World of Warcraft open beta and then continued to play it until last December (about 1 year). I thought I had found the perfect game with WoW but once I hit the level cap the game I had been playing (and enjoying) all along was nowhere to be found anymore. I ended up running Molten Core about 5 nights a week for a month before I realized that I wasn't having fun anymore. One night, a couple of weeks before Christmas I decided to just log off and spend some time with my wife (*GASP*). The next time I logged on was early March when I sold all of my stuff, sent the money to a friend and cancelled my account. I haven't missed it a bit since.

So, in summary:

FFXI: Poor economy, lack of solo content
WoW: Endgame

Well, my MMO experience has been limited due to not ever having a job and money is limited. But lets start from the beginning.

Runescape- about 2 months. My first MMO. I had a friend when I was 13 introduce me to it. Played char till lvl 40. There is absolutely NOTHING good about this game. Everything sucks ass. I just freakin hate it.

Final Fantasy XI Online- My precious....... 1 and a half years. Now this was on and off. I'd quit and come back and quit and come back. This game is just so much of a love/hate relationship with me. I never made it past lvl 30 in all that time because I just couldn't pick a class and stick with it. Grinding and lvling got to be so tedious. And expecially annoying because it FORCES you to party with people. Now I thought this used to be bad but after playing alot of other MMO's I'm kinda glad FFXI made you do this. Soloing in alot of other MMO's made me realizing that I love partying anyday. But the real reason I quit was the economy started to go to xxxx. I do plan on going back soon though. Better buy some of those expansions...

City of Heroes- 1 year. Loved it. Loved the character customization. Loved the freedom of movement and all the powers. Hated the repetative missions, and that's what killed it for me.

Ragnarok Online- 1 week. God, this game is so gay. And there is absolutely NOTHING to do except grind. And everything chibi pisses me off. :angry:

Lineage 2- 1 week. Just started playing this and I'm already about to quit. Would you like some grinding with your fries? No thanks. Awesome graphics though. And everything is too expensive unless you go to some high rate server.

Star Wars Galaxies- 3 hours. Never really got a chance to get into it because I didn't have the money to pay for it.

GunZ the Duel: 10 months. So many problems with this game but I got so good with a sword it was hard to leave. Gun systems sucks. Admins are lazy xxxxxxxx. LAG. And the hacking!!! OMG the hacking. Never had I seen such hacking before. Ever seen a guy with infinite hp, speed, ammo, the ability to fly through walls and a fast firing rocket launcher just own everybody? *shiver*

Still haven't gotten a chance to play WoW. :(

Well, if profanity really was a problem I figured you guys would have a filter. Frosty doesn't seem to mind and if he tells me to stop then I'll stop. Otherwise put in a filter. This isn't kabana kiddie hour. <_<

Daax, I really try to keep everything in private, but I guess I need to make a stand on this subject. I don't want any more posts beyond this to be about what I am about to say, or what has gone on previously, so just take this as a warning for everyone to see Daax.

I personally have no problem with swaring, or vulgare language for that manner. However, that is my personal opinion, and my personal life where I reflect that matter. Inside Hero's Hall however, I am trying to create one of the more mature communities in which people can say, 'wow, this is 10x better then the battle.net forums.'. With that their needs to be boundries.

I for one hate posting rules, and I hate living by them. If everyone just had the maturity to leave out certain words, or topics out of these forums then their would never be a time for rules. However, at my own success would be the downfall of that plot. Maybe I do need to implement some rules, and moderate the boards a bit more. Maybe I should be editing people's posts that seem questionable. I hate doing it, but if I have to I will.

I'll back Presto 110% on him editing your post. I havn't found out what was said, but for Presto to edit it would mean in his eyes it was deemed innaproprate for the community. We want maturity on these forums. I know in the world it is hard to not sware as it becomes habit. However, on a forum you cannot use that excuse. You type it out! So from now on Daax, please refrain from anything that any moderator, or person for that matter would seem to be questionable content. Whether that be slang language, or any other topic for that reason.

I really hate putting this out in public, but I guess this is where I stand. Either act up to being 17, or leave.

Ultima Online (OSI): Played about 6 months. Quit after being hit by a 500 DM (~250$) telephone bill after Germany's first flat-rate was chancelled and one had to pay by the hour. Though the lag was horrid I had lots of fun with some friends.

EQ1: Just about 3 months. Can't remember the reason I didn't like it but didn't get hooked.

Ultima Online (Freeshards): Had lots of fun on various german and english Role-playing FreeShards, great time. Eventually got bored but tried out other servers from time to time. Must have been about 2 years with some ons and offs. The hardcoded engine was just too limited.

DAoC: 6 months. Couldn't find the time to keep up with my friends and quit for financial reasons.

WoW: Got into the beta by pure chance. Wasn't really hooked at the beginning. After a week I discovered that a few friends were playing too. Restarted with them and played with them into the release for about 6 months. After that, some of them quit and others got lost in other guilds. Got myself into a guild and did end-game raiding for quite some time. Eventually got bored after 1 1/2 years. I realized long before that Blizzard didn't want to play with the player but want the players to play THEIR game. Demoralized me and haven't had the time to play other classes beside my instance raiding priest.

Eve Online: Been on and off Eve for over 2 years. Whenever I feel like it, I renew the account and grind. As I know very few people there, I grow bored quickly and quit for about 2 months. Eve is all about grind if you're not in an big corp. Concept is great though and PvP is so much fun if done on an equal level. Death penalty is a bit steep though.

WoW: A few months on and off. Combat was boring, click a few buttons and run away if your health gets low. Combat did not challenge me mentally or give me ways to think "outside of the box". Nobody roleplayed on RP servers and the mods didn't seem to care/do anything.

CoH:A month. Dunno why, it just didn't have any staying power. Same with CoV

Lineage 2: a month... i think. Kill. Rest. Repeat. Pretty boring.

SWG: A few months. Awesome game... Until CU. Took away everything that made SWG unique and broke just about everything.

GuildWars: Many months. Too boring. Combat as boring as WoW, same principles. Multiclassing and lack of pay-per-month gave it slightly more staying power.

EVE Online: 1 Day. Not very beginner-friendly

Everquest 2: 2 Days. Lack of compelling... anything.

Dungeons&Dragons Online: Beta'd+trial. Strayed too far from the PnP roots. Took too long to level up. Good groups hard to find. Lack of Solo content. No pets for Rangers or familars for Sorcerors/Wizards.

RF Online: Trial'd. Pretty much Lineage 2 with different setting+classes.

Silkroad: Click. Wait. Repeat. Boring.

Second Life: Hard to have 2 lives.

Maybe some more I can't remember.

Wow Daart it seems you've never had a good MMORPG experiance! Holy, I hope we all enjoy HJ enough to stay, and not be a '3 month' ordeal.

Back