So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Fine, I won't curse anymore if it's such a huge problem to everyone. But the real immaturity comes from the billions of people that CHOOSE to get offended by a word. THEY decide to make it bad and therefore the rest of the world has to bend to their insecurities. Normally, I would've probably cursed the moderator out and got kicked off of the forum, but I like this one so I'll comply to your demands...for now... <_<

Funny you say that Daax, cussing tends to be much more for the immature than the mature. Immature people think it's sounds cool to make like they are all grown up. When you actually grow up you find it's really not that cool, and you tend to have a much broader vocabulary and you don't have to always go for "shock value". This has nothing to do with age, btw, I know 50 year olds that act like they are 10, and 10 year olds that act like they are 30. The fact that you said that normally you'd just cuss out the mod and get kicked off the boards ought to tell you something in itself. I'm not insulting you or trying to get on your case, but maybe it's something you ought to look at in yourself if this has been a repeating problem.

<clears his throat>

Shadowbane: Played during beta with a great player community. Being PvP focused, I was learning to like PvP, the occasional griefer and random PvP was fun. Especially retaliating against that person, then them retaliating with their group and back and forth. What killed it? Excessive griefers once the game went gold.

Dark Age of Camelot (DAoC): Still playing the game to slight degree. Lots of classes, lots of grind. The folks you can meet are great, for the most part the community is amazing. Mythic really listens to their player base as of late... some say too late, but it's all a matter of opinion. Guilds, alliances, all their expansions are great, save one: Trials of Atlantis: new classes are ok, so were the races... the content for ToA was a battlegroup/raid zerg-fest and IMPOSSIBLE for those with any less than a minimum of 6 hours to play. Left? I haven't totally... but I'm in process due to the bite-chew-swallow-rinse-repeat grind of end game.

Anarchy Online (AO): Still play my Fr00b account (Free "noob"). Left due to most of my organization (guild) leaving for WoW and other games. RP is fanatastic, so is the content and fluff. Character graphics and character customization (NOT specs) lacked severely, as I wanted more looks, and less blockiness.

Asheron's Call 2: Interesting game, but it didn't hold my attention for long... not to mention lack of people in the game... prior to it being taken offline.

Guild Wars: Still play it, when the mood fits me. It's fairly linear and I'm not much of a PvP'er, thus it doesn't hold my attention for long. The capes annoy me, it's like their made of clouds, a slight wind lifts them up right off your back.

City of Heroes/City of Villians: I would still play CoV if I could afford it, but I can't justify spending nearly $20 on something I'd play for a total of 4 hours a month. I liked the costumes I had set up, and I liked various aspects of the gameplay and enhancements, et al. I left due to the grind, and super fast paced combat when in instances with groups... I don't think quickly, and I hate being punished for it.

EverQuest 2: I'm playing this now. I disliked the system in place when I first played (at launch in 2004), but the current system is a mere tad better. I'm not sure whether or not I like the auto-addition of spells/styles to my quick bar upon leveling up, and the quests/writs are nice. They're not quite as... "boring" as WoW quests, ie: not all quests are repeatable by all new characters. Some are race/class specific (as is WoW to some extent I know) but EQ2 made it feel less so. I stopped playing originally due to my guild dwindling and guild reputation loss made everyone leave in the end. I liked the guild to chat, and being required to be the best guild in the game or no one likes your guild is for the birds. I'm playing it now, with a fresh look on it. I love the alternative looks of many of the races, including many of the elf-type races.

World of Warcraft (WoW): One word regarding the graphics: ZOMGLOLWTFBBQKTHXBYE! The game is wayyyyyy too cartoon-like for my taste. It took my other half about 8 months of begging to get me to play it. My highest level toon is a lvl 26 Night Elf Druid. I liked the shapeshifting the druids, and some aspects of the quests. What turned me off was there was basically three areas to start off on (alliance side) and I always felt like I was doing the same quests. Overall, I felt it tedious. I liked the feeling of the game at lower levels, below level 20. I quit due to being bored and my eyes needed to see humans as something more than a muscular Jesus figure in a cartoon world.

Star Wars Galaxies: Loved this game, until NCU. I had a full all-out Entertainer (can't recall server), and an Architect (Ahazi), and was skilling up a combat type (on Kettemoor) just before NCU hit. What killed it? Not so much NCU as the very last changes prior to the Jedi Trials release, it went faster and faster downhill from there. I seriously loved the housing systems and architects, and nothing roleplayed better than an Entertainer in a cantina ;)

Dungeons & Dragons Online: I played this in Beta, and by the time the game arrived and went gold, I sent the boxes back, unopened. Serious turnoffs and reasons for quitting? Graphics requirements and inability to solo AT ALL.

That's all I can think of for now...

~ Jaraeth

EverQuest I played from beta to lauch, then for a solid 2 1/2 years. I left due to the presure of maintaining one of the games largest RP communities. We were basically 1 guild ooc that consisted of about 20 guilds in-game and spread across five servers. Once we got too big organizing all the RP plots and events became too much of a job and the game lost it's random relaxed fun.

EverQuest2: I love this game! I started at launch and fell in love with it right away. Played for about 7 months then left to try WoW. I wasn't one of those who found the learning curve too high. I loved the fact there was an "Epic Fantasy" feel to the game. I loved the detail, the tedium, the graphics, the quests, the lore, the races...and most of all, I loved the maturity of the player base. I only quit the first time because I let friends talk me into WoW. I eventually came back and played again for about 4 months, then just recently quit last month due to most of my friends no longer playing. PvP-RP server was a fun new aspect as well.

World of Warcraft: Played for about 6 months, left for about 4, then came back for about 2. I actually enjoyed this game quite a bit at first because it was very easy to learn and get into. Eventually the overall immaturity of the playerbase really got annoying. Yes, WoW completely lacked maturity. Also the cartoon feel was only fun for a little while. WoW was a nice quick little adventure whereas EQ2 had a huge epic novel feel to it. The only thing that kept me around as long as I stayed was the RP channel on my server. I got into the player plots and a lot of the RP and I basically RPed...never leveled. When the RP plots were over I had no reason to stay.

City of Heros/City of Villains: I REALLY loved this game. Some of the most fun I've had in any game. Character creation was what sent it over the top. Nobody in the game was the same and I loved seeing all these creative (and some stupid) Heros. Very fast tutorial and not much of a learning curve...yet the powers could be used very strategically. It wasn't much for RP, but I was involved with a couple RP guilds. It was different than the typical fantasy MMO and that kindda felt good for a change. I really only left because I only pay for one MMO at a time, and had to try EQ2 when it came out. I picked up CoV when it came out and tried it for a couple weeks, but wanted to finish up some EQ2 things before I got really involved. I'm about to reactivate my account now that PvP is enabled. Oh, and I'll have to agree that the missions were very very linear. I think PvP games will solve that though. Also, the Home Base matches are VERY cool. Guild on Guild in a battle in your base to steal items of power. Awesome! I LOVED MY HEROS and VILLAINS!! I created some great ones!

And that's the overall skinny on my MMO experience. Like a job application I didn't even bother to include MMOs I didn't play for more than 3 months. These include (Horizons, Shadowbane, Lineage 2, Ryzom, Asheron's Call 1 & 2, DDO, & DAOC)

No, I just don't like having to silence myself because other people CHOOSE to be offended by a word as if it's causing them physical pain. If you choose to complain and be offended by a word then, hell, I could ask the mods to stop everyone from saying the word "apple" because it offends me. See people only find curse words offensive because for many many years each generation across the world are brainwashed and told what words are forbidden and vulgar. I shouldn't have to watch my mouth just because you, once again, CHOOSE to be offended by it. And frankly, I don't care if the rest of the world finds me immature, because that's their opinion and, just like the words I use, does not physically harm me in any way.

[Edit: I'm well bored, and this is well long, and hell, wouldn't read all that if someone else wrote it to be honest haha, so I don't expect you to!]

I'm a relatively newcomer to the MMO scene, missed (thankfully) the whole EQ1 thing. I say thankfully because I swear it seems everyone who played that game for more than 6 months is permanently mentally scarred in some way.

So a few years back, when at EB Games, I saw this game called Horizons. The fella behind the counter explained it was a pay monthly game, and seeing as I finally had some spare cash I thought I'd try it out.

(leaving out betas)

Horizons
I played this for about 9 months primarily due to the fact I didn't know any differently. I actually started playing a couple of months after the game was released.
Quit due to:
*Horrid graphics engine
*Lag
*Lack of progress, lack of achievement
*Lag
*Initially fun, but essentially repetitive and generic (GenericSwordType#254763B etc) crafting system.
*Stayed as long as I did due to great friends and community.
*No uniqueness or customisation when I played.

Moved to
Saga of Ryzom
Still love this game and what it tried/tries to do.
Found the prospecting a lot of fun, crafting was too but was somewhat lacking. Awesome community to be found here too.
Quit due to:
*Lack of purpose at that stage. No quests, nothing to build up to really.
*Combat was fun but grew repetitive in the end.
*Mainly just quit due to doing the same sort of things over and over.

Moved to
Everquest 2
This game.. god.. Now I know why SoE has the horrid reputation that it has. They remind me of politicians, as in "Yes, you the public voted against this, but we really know what's good for you, whether you realise it or not. So we are going to do what we think is better for you and you will agree once it's done, maybe a year or two later". ie They have a vision and don't let any measure of commonsense get in the way.
Quit due to:
*PvE grew extremely repetitive. I really felt no sense of achieving anything at all by playing more PvE there.
*All the 'epic' items were items that anyone could quest (read grind repetitively) for, so there's nothing 'unique' about it.
*Everyone looks the same, and plastic. Did I say the same? Due to everyone being carbon copies due to class, this totally kills immersion in my eyes.
*Community grew repeatedly worse as the WoW rejects slowly filtered over to EQ2; more-so when PvP was released.
*PvP... Trying to write PvP into a year+ old PvE game is going to have so many problems. If you need a case study as to why, use EQ2.
*SoE has absolutely no dignity and "balls" at all. This is very apparent in the fact that SoE let Guilds like Ebonlore etc completely overrun and ruin the PvP server within a week of release and did nothing to counter it. Pathetic.
*Absolutely zero customisation. Even the Achievement Points are so simple that it's choose one of four lines. And there's usually only one or two lines that are best. So customisation means you're either Paladin A or Paladin B...

when playing EQ2, also tried out
World of Warcraft
WoW, aka MMO Greatest Hits 1980-2000. It's a sure winner, take all the things that work (as in take, copy, plagiarise) in other MMOs and make them the base of yours. There's nothing unique about WoW, nothing that pushes the MMO boundaries.
To be honest, I had more fun running around solo with my Hunter and snow leopard doing stuff than grouping up etc with my Priest. I honestly spent 80% of the time playing WoW solo, doing quests solo. To me this game is as much an MMO as a glorified single player RPG.
Quit due to:
*The entire base element of the human gene pool conglomerating in one place. Has to be the biggest majority of ****tards I've ever seen in an MMO. Period. The community alone is enough make me not resub again, or get the next expansion. I spent any time played with all channels bar Guild and Party turned off. No exaggeration. The community here is just astonishingly poor.
As I've said on numerous occasions; if Barrens Chat is the future of Mankind, we're all doomed to Hell.
*Possibly the worst gameplay for "Click 1, 2, 3 while watching a DVD". Even as a Priest I found I was reading forums and posting while doing instances. As a Hunter.. jeez.. Pet Attack, press Shoot, watch DVD.
*The Crafting system isn't. It's laughable. I actually did the first time I tried "crafting". It's a real case of why did they bother? They should have just left it out and used the resources elsewhere.
*Complete lack of equipment customisation. I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH FOR ANY MMO!!!
**I did like the 'build setup', but you're still only really one of three different types of generic characters.
*PvP.. never really bothered with it much. Played BGs a few times.. same map over and over. Grind for ranks. Oh the joy.
*I really think WoW should have been a new direction in RPGs for Bliz, like Diablo, by Warcraft. I know I probably go against the grain, but if anything, I think WoW has done a LOT of bad for the MMO genre. It's simplified the crud out of it, and bought a lot of undesirable types of people to the genre. But then, just call me elitist. :P

Since tried
DAoC
Erm.. people rave about this game... I was honestly bored stupid and lasted probably two months before just not logging on.
RvR = /stick... heal... "Erm, what's happening?" "Defend the fort" "Erm.. ok." /stick... heal.
Generally just did not like this game.

Guild Wars and Guild Wars Factions
Only 'MMO' I'm still playing at the moment. Hardly an MMO, but good fun none the less.
Playing Factions and having a good time again.
Mindless fun, kind of like FPS fun made RPG. Mindless. Slaughter.

D&D:Online
Well, I was bored and thought I'd give this a try *sigh*. Wasted $80 AUS as far as I'm concerned.
Haven't logged in in two weeks now.
*Laggy as crud.
*Confusing, and feel somewhat left out if you didn't roleplay an Elf Lord when you were 14 while your school mates were drinking beers and trying to hit on girls. For the record, I was playing in a Heavy Metal band when people were playing PnP D&D.
*Clunky controls, just doesn't feel smooth.
*Didn't expect much in the way of customisation, and there doesn't seem to be. Seems to play by the 3.5 book in the sense that you know exactly what to expect from the game.
*Should have saved my money and used it to get NWN2 when it comes out instead.
*Doubt I'll log back in, let alone use the rest of the 'free month'.

I'm sure there's others, but you get the point. If not, I'll scream it.
LACK OF CUSTOMISATION. LACK OF BEING UNIQUE!!

For now, I'm casually playing Dragon Realms (which has been awesome for many reasons, one of which I have a much better understanding of where Simutronics are coming from with HJ, and what to expect. Empaths!!) and playing GW:Factions and single player games.
Will probably get Titan Quest next month.
Future MMOs? Well... I won't be in a rush to buy any more MMOs. Hero's Journey is a given of course, though sadly I'll be back at work and will have probably 2 hours every couple of days to play :(. Can't believe it's 2007 for HJ...
Might try LotR:Online, but after playing D&D:Online, I doubt it.
I laugh at Vanguard, and think Conan won't half achieve what people are expecting. Might try Darkfall.

All in all, it's rather sad and depressing looking at the MMO genre as it stands presently.
It's VERY generic and stale in my opinion.

Hmm.. wonder how much an EQ2 account would sell for... :Ph34r: ... :lol:

Originally posted by Daax@May 27 2006, 02:42 AM
No, I just don't like having to silence myself because other people CHOOSE to be offended by a word as if it's causing them physical pain. ...
Daax, we understand, and you have basically repeated what you stated earlier. Rest assured, all of the forum moderators tend to talk with one another before requesting members to abide by rules of any form. In cases where a moderator must do something without consulting the rest, we accept the others judgement and will stick by that moderator. Just as Frosty said, and I believe he said no further discussion on the subject.

This is now off-topic, and I like this thread thus far. If you would like to discuss this more, feel free to send me a PM.

Now, let us continue the thread. I find it interesting to know what games people have played.

~ Jaraeth

Ok, I'll make a list. But please remember this is a list of why I left various games (rightly or wrongly), not why I think everyone should leave that particular game or anything objective. It's totally subjective and biased. :P

Everquest: I really loved this game. It was by far the best of all the games I have played. The problem was, I selected a class that was not particularly adept at soloing at higher levels. So everything I did, I needed a group. Groups were too often hard to find or it just took too long to get one together. Then there was the fact that it was a very item centric game, and that can bring out the worst in people. I was doing a lot of helping friends/guildmates with their major quests and not feeling like that was getting reciprocated. It got old and so I quit. Time played: 1.5 years

Star Wars Galaxies: I quit because: (1) I exhausted all of the content that interested me; (2) there wasn't very much content; (3) they nerfed heck out of my build; and (4) Raph Koster is the debil. I won't elaborate on the game's many other shortcomings, which were legion. Time played: Beta plus 9 months.

Final Fantasy XI: I quit because the description of the game and the screenshots of the game and the movies about the game totally misrepresented what the game looked like. I detested the graphics and it was too cutsie for my tastes. The moogle in particular made me feel like I was playing a game for little kids and I unsuccessfully tried to murder mine. Time played: 1.5 hours.

City of Heroes: This is a very cool game for the most part and I liked it a lot at first. But I stop playing games when exploits go unchecked for too long (yes I am a game purist), and there was a long period in CoH when there were known problems with the sidekick feature. After being asked for the 50,000th time "PL meh plz" I figured there must be greener pastures. Statesman's post to the effect that if players are "smart" enough to find exploits and use them, then that was fine rubbed me the wrong way. Time played 6-7 months.

World of Warcraft: This game broke my heart. :( From levels 1-59 this was an awesome game. I'm not sure it is possible to make a better game from 1-59, which is probably why it has 6 million subscribers. But .... at level 60 I discovered I had three choices - raid, PvP, or roll an alt. I didn't like the PvP and I didn't feel like rolling an alt. So I joined the most "uber, l33t, blah blah" raid guild on my server. After 1 day of hanging out with that crowd I could see this wasn't for me (never, ever will I do that again in any game), so hello coaster #5. Time played - 2.5 months.

Everquest 2: On my first draft of this list I left this one out lol. That is because it was that forgettable, which is why I quit it. The game has a lot of features and no soul. It was the only game in which I simply did not care about my character. It was boring in the extreme and I seemingly had no freedom. The game was always pushing me in one direction or another. I also thought the graphics, while more realistic, were also ugly. Oh yeah, remember the old saw about I would never be in a club that would have me as a member? I was ranked in the top 5 on my server for fewest deaths per kill. That's just wrong. I'm not that good, and believe it or not I thought the game was absurdly easy. Time played - 3-4 months.

Guild Wars: Since I am not really a PvPer, this game was more an hor'dourve than a meal. I completed all of the quests, etc. and then quit. Time played - Can you believe it? Three freaking days.

City of Villains: That's what I am playing now. It's not a great game but it doesn't suck either. Plus the mastermind class is very, very cool. Anyone who hasn't played it should really check it out, and I hope the HJ Dev team has at least one or two folks who have played a CoV MM (hint, hint). I will be playing this until something better comes along. Time played: a month and counting.

What's not on the list is an equal number of beta tests I have participated in but in the end did not buy the game. That's because it's not entirely fair to judge a game by its beta, and because when I beta test I do more testing than playing. Suffice to say though that I decided those games were not what I was looking for, but I bugged stuff, gave feedback, made suggestions and moved on.

And that is my mmorpg story. B)

Might as well chime in here...

GSIV: A long, long time. 10-11 years, on and off. I left because of Alchemy... wait a minute, we STILL don't have it. :blink:

Wolfenstein ET: OK, not necessarily an MMO, but its close, right? I enjoyed ET, I was good at it, but my guild disbanded and that was bascially it. Its more fun to play with friends and people you know.

CoV: Played from the release to December 20th or so. I left because of my roomate at the time. He was a douche. He lied, was disgusting, and all he wanted to do was talk about how great he was at CoV. The grind and repetition was also a killer. Though I do admit, it was great getting the Mushroom Kingdom started up. Yeah, thats right, Mario, Luigi, Bowser, and Peach... it was great. We were working on a Toadstool and Wario and Waluigi. It was fan-freaking-tastic. Hehe!

ATITD: Been playing off and on for... a year and a half, maybe more? You'd be surprised how fun being a peasant in Ancient Egypt is! In fact, Tale 3 is starting in... 57 minutes, plus or minus thirty minutes. This game is a lot of fun. No combat. At all. You build a society. For those who haven't checked it out, I'd suggest you do. If you like crafting a lot, you'll like ATITD. Tons of fun. If HJ can have the community development that ATITD has, I have no doubt that it cannot falter. Its great.

I've stayed away from WoW and those other posers. I hold out for the good games. Like ATITD. And HJ. GSIV wouldda made this list, but no Alchemy. Sheesh.

Morals of the story: Good Support, Playing with friends, Making friends, and a strong community is good.

Okay, might as well take a turn.

HaericMOO - I'm not sure this one really counts, but....it was a MOO (object oriented MUD) that some friends and I set up and ran for awhile. It eventually died due to lack of interest from other people - we never could seem to get our marketing campaign going. Fun while it lasted, but honestly pretty basic hack-and-slash.

Star Wars Galaxies - My god. I loved this game from the initial concept up until around the first Combat Upgrade. It was so unique...broken, even from the beginning, but unique. And fun. Then the CU hit....while I personally liked the CU, a lot of friends and veterans quit, which made it a lot less fun for me. I clung desperately to it until about a month ago, when I finally admitted that it would never again be the experience I had loved for so long.

Final Fantasy XI - Ugh. This was the first MMO to demonstrate to me why I can't play Asian MMOs. The lack of customization was insane. I only played for a couple weeks before cancelling my account.

Everquest - The graphics and gameplay from this granddaddy of MMOs show their age. I couldn't handle it. Cancelled after 1 day.

Everquest II - Fun, but....the PCs are mostly carbon copies of each other. Where's the customization?

World of Warcraft - I got my fill of grinding in SWG. I played WoW up until my main toon hit level 38, and quit. My girlfriend still has an active account, but she doesn't play it anymore either.

City of Heroes - Plenty of visual customization, but not much ability customization. Plus, the whole GAME was grinding, that's it. Bought the Collector's Edition but quit after 2 months.

GemStone III - Played for a few weeks a long time ago when I was doing art for Simutronics. I can't really remember the experience, but I remember thinking that it wasn't fun enough to pay $15 a month for.

Lusternia - Played for a couple weeks. Fun, free, but no graphics. I have this thing about graphics, y'see. I need them. And Hero's Journey is so very, very pretty.....

lets see:

EQ: 2 Years, left because of a combination of things the chief being the lose of a friend that played from a car accident and shortly after my grandfather passing. Kinda woke me up after that.

Phantasy Star Online: 2 months, Was a fun and great game but on the DC it was akward because of the keyboard/control set up....plus at the time i was playing EQ still.

DAOC: month or so....still addicted to EQ at the time.

AO: 1 month Was there at launch...need I say more :smiley:

Horizons: 1 month Beta Very laggy so Didn't even buy it.

FFXI: 1 mont Beta Won a contest and got into beta...didn't buy it at release because of the grind and having to have a white mage to do anything.

CoH: 6-7 months, Love this game, was sorry to see to leave it. Left mostly because Morneblade took the guild with him to other games. Still think this is the best MMO out right now.

EQ2: 3 months, was alright but I just couldn't get into it. To many memories I suppose. Plus I was given WoW for xmas and my real life friends were playing.

WoW: 3 months. Was fun and I liked it till it got to the end game. Leveled to 60 in about a month month and half without trying (just doing quests and grouping). Was sneaky and left my current guild so I didn't have to play alliance heh heh. After that it was raid time and I didn't want to get that pasty glow to my skin again .

Guild wars: 2 months, Fun if you get the right people...which is the hardest part. Left after my guild left me stranded as a lowbie and then would rarely come back to help because "they've done that already". freak'n power gamers. Ahh well...

DDO: Head Start, Interesting at first but I have dial up so mostly unplayable. Not to mention how much they've degraded the Eberron campaign setting. Didn't even open the box.

Originally posted by Ikiru@May 27 2006, 06:11 PM
lets see:

CoH: 6-7 months, Love this game, was sorry to see to leave it. Left mostly because Morneblade took the guild with him to other games. Still think this is the best MMO out right now.

WoW: 3 months. Was fun and I liked it till it got to the end game. Leveled to 60 in about a month month and half without trying (just doing quests and grouping). Was sneaky and left my current guild so I didn't have to play alliance heh heh. After that it was raid time and I didn't want to get that pasty glow to my skin again .

Guild wars: 2 months, Fun if you get the right people...which is the hardest part. Left after my guild left me stranded as a lowbie and then would rarely come back to help because "they've done that already". freak'n power gamers. Ahh well...

CoH: I DID NOT TAKE THE GUILD! IT WAS....IT WAS....ERR....EVE! SHE MADE ME DO IT*points at Eve* ALL HER FAULT! ALL OF IT!! ALWAYS THE WOMAN!!!! :D

WoW: Yeah, I should have gone ahead and done that too, or split and had the MWer's Horde-side. Yep, should have gone ahead and done that. But I warned everyone about the raiding, but I was nuts, remember? :rolleyes:

GuildWars: Who me? Powergamer?! :P *looks innocent*

Tried two other long posts and they havn't worked so this one will be short.
UO was excellent and only reason i left was because I did not own it. :(

Everquest, also had loads of fun playing a bard and shaman then left after three years because again, it wasn't mine.

Then played DAoC for 4 years and left it because once again it wasn't mine. RvR was great, however they kept nerfing the classes that my friends played.

Next was Anarchy Online...Bleh, everything moved at a snails pace. I didn't like character movement (physically) or advancement. played for about 3 weeks.

FFXI played for 4 months. Left because it felt like i was doing the same thing over & over again.

I just stopped playing WoW a couple months ago after playing it for about a year. It was very repetitive and i didn't like having to go to the same dungeon several times just to get a peice of armor or weaponry that would make me competitive.

Today i'm mostly playing single player games like CoD 2 and Oblivion. Really just waiting for the next "great" MMO. I have looked at all the games to be on MMorpg's game list and this is the one that interests me the most. :D

I have played just about everything. Except DAoC, Anarcy Online or EQ2

I didn't play EQ2 cause I played EQ and hated it. I don't know why I never played AO. and DAoC I didn't play because it was centered on PvP.

Out of all the other games, MxO was the only one close to what I wanted. RP was pretty big, at least in the faction I was in (albeit only through Beta.) I never got to play it after Beta because I didn't have money to pay for Online games other than DR at the time.

Every other game was all about grinding. Quests/Missions were generally boring and unimaginative. It did nothing to make me care about what was going to happen next. Why should I be aiming to be the next lvl? Is all that is going to change be the scenery and monsters? What is my character getting out of this? The only reason to do things was for the sake of doing them. This is why I have never really played an MMO more than 3 months. FFXI required me to group, and when it took two weeks trying to find groups that would stay together long enough to get the multi-job quest item I just had to ask why I was doing it.

I want to feel like my character is DOING something and is motivated to do it. I am not motivated by, "this guy here wants me to kill 10 zombies." Well I don't want to kill 10 zombies, he is just gonna ask me to kill 10 skeletons after i do it. HJ's quest and story driven system is what I am looking forward to as the hook.

As far as lvl caps and End Game. End Game is ruination, and LvL caps are tricky. I would love no lvl cap but I understand the content argument. Though I remember something about scaling so that might not even be an issue. End game becomes the new focus after the first month or two when all the powergamers are hitting the cap and only raid and then complain that they aren't getting anything new. That takes away from the rest of the game. I have NEVER hit the max lvl for any game except in a beta. I don't want to have to just to participate in new content or get really cool stuff. Just as some people don't want to pay more to get things, I don't want to have to play 8 hours a day and grind while I am doing that.

Czi

Gemstone III/IV have played for 9 years and counting. Needless to say this game has been very entertaining for me. Has great lore, great customer service (this I found out with the other games I tried), rich history, great community, encourages Roleplay but doesn't bash you over the head if you chose not to participate fully.

Shadowbane 6 months: Game wasn't what it was promised. When they closed my server and took all my equipment save what was on my body, I quit. The large seige battles just weren't doable. Too much lag, etc. Roleplay was very limited.

Eve Online 1 month: Just couldn't get into the game. Perhaps I shouldn't have chosen miner/hauler as my profession. The guild I joined while friendly, didn't really include me in game play, so I was always soloing. Roleplay was very limited to non existant.

My experience with the MMO has been I really like the graphic eye candy to begin with, but I find myself ignoring it after awhile, and then Gemstone has them beat hands down.

I'm hoping Hero's Journey can be all that Gemstone is with the roleplay, community, pvp possibilities, solo/grouping both viable, but also have nice eye candy that I don't "look through".

The Realm : 2 yrs , I left because all my friends moved on to AC

Asherons Call : 6 yrs, I left AC because Turbine wouldn't do anything about the Marco players.

Lineage 2 : 1 yr, I left because of all the macoing and the punk PK greavers, I could never get ahead hehe

Irth : 3 months, I really liked Irth but the world was so big you never saw another player and I got tired of playing by myself.

And a whole bunch of betas in between hehe

I hate to go off-topic, but this has to be one of the better threads I've read. I'm really enjoying reading every single persons response to other MMORPG's, and how they felt. It's also cool to see that everyone is looking forward to Hero's Journey!

Back