So long, and thanks for all the fish!

FFXI: 9 months, break and back again for 1 yr.

I left FFXI cause my real life was getting too hectic and I didn't have any more time to play. I loved the game though. It was my only MMO I've played so I don't have much to compare to.

WoW: played through Beta. Didn't bother purchasing the game when it was released since I found FFXI to be more enjoyable.

There are several reason I left each game I've played but the one that stands out for each one (minus EQ) is the lack of Community. I can handle bugs, server hiccups, even little to no roleplay as long as there is a strong, active community.

Games (full graphical MMORPGs) left: EQ2, GW, SB, L2, AO, MxO, SWG, Ryzom, Dark and Light, Vanguard (yeah, I quit the beta), DDO, EQ, FFXI, WoW.

Games still playing: DaoC, and might play progressive server of EQ for a bit.

The MMOthingies I have played and left are:

Eve Online: 2-3 months

Eve is a sexy game. It looks great, and has a lot of things to do. The things that eventually pushed me away were:

I - I always found it hard to deal with their learning system. Effectively I couldn't train better/smarter than anyone else, since your skills learning was disconnected from your actions in-game. This was probably the smallest complaint because it was mitigated by building my ship better and by tactics in battle.

II - Massive imbalances in races/weaponry. There were very limited viable ship options, with some ships or weapons being far better than others with no system of checks or balances.

III - The grind. Since skills do not relate to gameplay, most of the time spent playing was dedicated to making money or making items to make money. There was no real excitement of great drops and eventually it just got tedious.

WoW - 3ish months

I played this in the beta, and was unimplressed. Then a rake of my friends got into it, and I tried playing it with them too, but the game just didn't ring true with me. Problems were as follows:

I - The game focused too much on level. All the monsters were pretty much the same. A lvl 22 spider is the same as a lvl 22 knight is the same as a lvl 22 dodo, etc. There was no appreciable variety in combat. Maybe this gets better at higher levels (I only played to like... 28 or so).

II - Lack of customisation: everyone looks the same. This may sound like pretty petty, but not being able to tell my friends from my nemesi is annoying.

III - Total lack of roleplay. Maybe that was an issue with the server I was on, but the total lack of mystery in the world (a bear is not actually a vicious bear but a bear-shaped lvl 30 mob), people openly discussing mechanics, lack of significant player factions... Then they introduced battle grounds where people got to play capture the flag, dodgeball, and musical chairs with their mortal enemies, and my suspension of disbelief just shatterd.

SWG: a few weeks

I - Boosts were pretty much the main reason that put me off the game. The boosts were a flat out bonus rather than a percentile thing. The level cap became an all-too-achievable joke as you could get a boost that could last you for hours, and fight creatures waaaay above your level for ungodly exp. Your character's achievements became of limited significance because the boosts to your stats were greater than anything you could gain yourself. Silly stuff.

Still playing Dragonrealms, and starting to build a PC for Hero's Journey.

Originally posted by Riceman@May 27 2006, 05:52 PM

Star Wars Galaxies - My god. I loved this game from the initial concept up until around the first Combat Upgrade. It was so unique...broken, even from the beginning, but unique. And fun. Then the CU hit....while I personally liked the CU, a lot of friends and veterans quit, which made it a lot less fun for me. I clung desperately to it until about a month ago, when I finally admitted that it would never again be the experience I had loved for so long.

Gonna have to second that one. Played for 2yrs and I left before CU and NGE hit. I recently restarted my account this year only to be severly broken hearted at what had been done to that game.

EQ2: played for over a year but the grind finally got to me plus the limits of customization. Other than that the fight animations for Monk professions were very good IMHO.

WoW: Roughly 6 hours. My 8yr old can draw better graphics that.

Hmm, haven't played but two MMOs, Horizons and WoW. Did the EQ2 trial, though.

Horizons - I liked the crafting, and ability to be a dragon... many biped models were poorly animated, though, and had ugly emotes. The biped multiclassing was interesting, and I liked the playable Satyrs and Dryads. Combat system was very boring, and there wasn't any kind of organized aggro system, it seemed very chaotic.

However, having to make 8 sets of 600-900 crafted items for one LOWEST LEVEL ROOM of dragon housing, burnt me out. Spending 4-6 hours grinding digging holes in a sandstone field sucked, and there was really no combat goals. Few world bosses or events. Most loot was craft components. And I did like to craft, but... too much grind. Also, the world is very big and empty.

Entire stretches of continent and NOTHING there. Pretty scenery though. Very small population meant I was alone almost all the time, 90% of the playerbase is max level and doing their own thing. I got lonely and tired of working so hard on a dragon house, that nobody would see or care about. Without any kind of decorations or furniture, it would just be bland storange space, and nothing personalized.

I met some very nice folks there, however, mostly bipeds. I found many Dragons to be very elitest and rude to new folks who didn't follow the oldtimer's personal views of 'how to play'. I reget not playing on their non-RP server, since it had more then 3 times the population and probably more liveliness. Maybe that would've changed my overall impression.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EverQuest 2 - Played the trial. The colors and models of the world and characters were very sterile. The emotes my Ratonga had looked unnatural and some were downright scary (like /dance). Nothing about the play-mechanics had that 'spark' that would've made me stay or be interested. It felt very 'machine-made'. It had no personal, overall design theme or aesthetic. I think they confused 'realism' as equalling 'colorless and bland' design.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

World of Warcraft - My first MMORPG. What got me interested was playable minotaurs, frankly. Before, most MMOs seemed to have either only recolored/resized humans as 'races' or else ugly (to me) models. As an animation/graphic design major, I liked the style and look of the game, the way they had set color-schemes, etc. for each zone, and the little details and humor that showed an obvious love by the art designers for their work. Perhaps having had training in graphic arts helped me appreciate the qualities of 'cartoons' which many people just dismiss as an inferior medium. Yes, it's exaggerated and not photorealistic. But it pulls off it's -intended- style the way it was meant to, and very well. I also like the emotes, the way a character will animate 'speaking' when you type, and laugh and such. I hate characters that just stand motionless and have no life outside of combat. However, the total lack of meaningful character customization, especially at the the creation screen, is very disappointing.

I like the combat system, the way each class is very different yet powerful in their own way, and in the group mechanics. It's very structured in the roles, that I feel makes combat work well. I agree that too much of the game is soloable, many people never learn their group roles or how to even socialize, it seems, and make later-level 'pickup group' dungeon runs sometimes horrible, with people doing their own thing, being uncommunicative, and wiping the group because they don't listen to the leader or don't think to help others. It's ironic, because the ONLY level-cap content, raids, require precision coordination, communication, and strategy, skills which the other 99% of the game lets people get by without learning.

My guild is great, if it wasn't for that core group of friends, I would've left much earlier. They make the game fun, mostly I raid to hang out with them, more than for loot. I wish there were other things we could do. Without a guild of quality folks, it wouldn't be as enjoyable. The gameplay at lvl-cap is pretty much limited to dungeon farming for loot, and raids.

Crafting armor and weapons is mostly a waste, better gear is easily got in dungeons. Most materials to craft the few 'good' pieces are worth more to sell raw, than to use. Its obvious the craft designer never understood the things that 'hardcore' crafters love and why people like crafting in the first place. Crafting's more of a hobby than anything important ingame.

The WoW Expansion will probably determine how much longer I will play. If it addresses a lot of the weaknesses of the current game, I will stay longer. I'll hate to leave my friends, but I'm kinda getting bored. One can only make alts for so long before stuff gets monotonous. :P

I've been playing MMOs for half my life (only 19 though XD ) so I've seen my fair share of them. Really only enjoyed two for any lasting amount of time though.

Ultima Online - I heard about this on battle.net for Diablo way back in the day. Everyone was talking about this "UO" thing like it was the Holy Grail, some magical object. I was curious, so I asked about it. My interest was piqued, so I pitched the game to my dad (I was only 10, so I couldn't play the game without his help, and he was an avid gamer) and he was immediately interested. Got it and played it for an ungodly amount of time (I played a swordsman/poorly skilled mage). I left to move on to EQ (a mistake, but whatever). I haven't played it in years, so I don't know how it stands up now, but I really didn't have any major gripes with it. When I tell MMO stories, this game is the one I get the stories from (some really messed up stuff happened to me XD ). Though unintentional, this was my first foray in roleplaying and I have many fond memories. =) Spent a VERY long time here.

Everquest - *Shudders.* Even the mere mention of this game sends a chill up my spine. It was, to me, a timesink. Plain and simple. I liked being able to solo, but everything in this game could kick my butt bad (I eventually settled on a wood elf warrior after months of making alts). Unfortunately, the vast time commitment required (I got the game at release) prevented me from being able to get very far (I had to use my dad's computer and account, but he was addicted to EQ, so I rarely got to play for more than an hour at a time). I left because:
  • I couldn't solo.
  • I couldn't find groups.
  • I got bored with the combat.
  • The huge amount of downtime for my class (I spent more time sitting around playing that gems minigame or reading in Crushbone than I did playing).
  • I was unable to progress fast enough for the game to hold my interest.
Spent about two years here.

Dark Age of Camelot - I don't remember where I got interested in this game, but it looked pretty cool so I picked it up. I don't even really remember why I left. I'm betting that it was the same as EQ in that I couldn't progress fast enough for the game to stay interesting (getting from level 14 to 15 in 3 weeks is NOT fun =( ). Spent about 9 months here.

Shadowbane - I enjoyed this game for a while, but eventually several things got to me:
  • It was entirely PvP focused, so you HAD to be built a certain way or you couldn't compete. This is where I learned of FotM. I find this really strange, because all the different professions and subclasses you can get seem to encourage diversity, but really just encourage min/maxers to find the strangest combinations of stuff that most people never would have thought of and that are somehow really good.
  • I only remember seeing about 8 different monsters in the game. =(
  • The whole world is like Utah, nothing but emptiness. XD They advertised how huge the game world was, but there was simply nothing out there.
  • Unfulfilled promises.
I left because I logged off in my guild's town one night and logged on the next afternoon in an empty patch of ground where the guild had once been. =( All in all, I spent about 9 months in Shadowbane.

City of Heroes - After Shadowbane I played on some PWs on NWN for a while (where I started roleplaying again) then got into the beta for City of Heroes. I had found out about it a while ago and had been really excited, but the release was still years off. I forgot about it and decided I wouldn't get it. Opted to try out the beta though, since it was free. =) I fell in love almost immediately. Got the game at release and have been playing it ever since. Repetive? Yeah. However, the combat is the best I've ever seen in an MMO. I also joined the unofficial RP server and found my way into an active RP guild. Also, I get to be a hero, which is good cause I've always like being the "good guy". =P Oh, and did I mention the community? It's one of the best I've seen in an MMO. I greatly enjoy this game and see a lot of it in Hero's Journey, which makes me very happy. =) Time spent here? Two years and counting. =)

World of Warcraft - I originally had very little interest in this game, but my dad picked it up so I decided to try it out. I played it for three months before I wondered, "What'm I doing?" and I haven't been back since. XD My problems with it:
  • There were just so many idiots gathered all in one place that I could almost feel my brain cells being killed off just by their mere presence there. XD It was like logging into the battle.net chatrooms. Want intelligent conversation? I wish you luck, my friend. Could you pick up the Holy Grail for me on your way back? =P
  • Combat was too slow for my tastes. Nothing else has come close to some of the fights I've been in in City of Heroes. XD
  • Didn't like the "Wanna buy a magic sword for 100000000 gold coins? But be careful, touch it once and you can never give it to another player, so your only choice for selling it is to a vendor for 1 copper coin." Unbelievable.
  • Couldn't find a character class that I liked playing. You were either this or that, you couldn't tweak it at all and remain efficient. =(
  • Raiding endgame. I don't like stuff like that. Period.
Dungeons and Dragons Online - I was in the beta for this game, but if what I played was representive of the rest of the game, then I don't have enough interest to play longer. What it did do, it did well. Unfortunately, there was some stuff that it simply didn't do at all that really hurt it, in my opinion. I like playing in groups these days, ok, fine, that works for DDO. However, I also like being able to get stuff done when I log in at midnight and can't find anyone around to team with. Also, there simply wasn't enough of the game there. 10 levels? I got to 3 in a day, and that was going at a leisurely pace. =(

I've beta'd a handful of other MMOs, but haven't played anything that I would actually pay money for. Tried Ragnarok Online twice, but never for longer than two days either time. It just bored the heck out me. Tried Rose Online, seemed just like Ragnarok Online. Tried a few others I can't remember too. XD

I'm really only looking forward Hero's Journey, though I'm kinda looking forward to trying out a few others like Tabula Rasa and 9Dragons.

And that about sums it up. =)

WoW: Sucked

To go into more detail.

WoW: Friends switching servers, and me wanting to play with people I actually know, caused me never to get to 60 and experience end-game, which in turn burned me out.

On the server before my last, there was massively massive guild drama, basically all of our "geared" characters left to form an elitist Dungeon farming bore guild. A lot of which said they would never leave. But to save the memories from entering. There was drama. end of story.

The faithfuls Rerolled on another server, I got to 29, got bored, quit, uninstalled, reinstalled got 19, quit.

well, my first was Diablo2 and i stuck with it for a long time because i thought it was the most wonderful thing but didnt know any other rpgs to compare to. I finally quit because there was no motivation, just playing something, then playing the same thing with stronger people.

then came runescape for a while. man was that a mistake. its easily the worst game ive played. i now giggle at the phrase my friend once used "thats stupid as runescape"

my latest game was WoW. i played for a little over 12 months. i quit cuz i got bored of doing the same quests over and over and the buttheads that insist on ganking and camping. that just makes me want to destroy things. plus endgame renders certain classes completely useless. although PvP was good, i never feel like being in a PvP game for 5 hours on end waiting to win.

Just to point out, I don't think Diablo 2 should be considered a MMORPG. It's a single player game, with a multi-player option. It's vastly different from a real MMORPG.

My MMO experiences are pretty limited, in fact only

WoW (appr. 8 month):
-------------------------
First MMO I tried. Liked it a lot, didn't have anything to compare it too. Went to a PvP Server becauso of a friend. Quit, because:

- Endless traveling
Didn't like having to travel 30+ mins of ingame to one spot, then having to do the same again to get someplace else to help a friend, and go travel 30+ mins again. Having multiple teleport points would have helped, I think. That may not be realistic but helps grouping with friends.

- Farming
I didn't like farming for gold. I played a priest, had a really hard time killing more than one or two enemies at my level. Crowd-control for me consisted of fearing foes which meant they'd be probably back in a second along with all their friends.

- PvP-Ganking
I hated being ganked by rogues with no possible way of retaliation (apart from calling in friends, which would take 30+ mins (see above)). High-level <bleeeps!> killing low-levels just to spoil their fun happened far too often. Which leads me too:

- Crappy community.
The chat was constantly flooded with people comparing their <bleeep!>s ... errm... swords. Most people never learned to play as a group, causing lots of wipes. Ninja-looting. All of that improved dramatically when I joined an "age 20+ required" guild. Still got a lot of <bleep> comparing, though.

- Lack of collision checking.
I hate it when people just run through me. Especially in combat. In PvP there was no way my group could stop the other group from going straight for me, the healer. Also, no collision checking makes any assembly of people look really ugly ("Is that a tigers head coming out of your left arm? And I believe there is a gnome inside your leg, you should probably see a doctor about that.")

- No RP on RP-Server
Started a second character on a RP server. First thing I read was a discussion about RL- football. Didn't go there again.

Positive points:

+ Graphics. I actually liked the comic style. Very Warcraft™. Also very consistent style. Hated lack of customization. At level 60 every class looked basically the same.

+ Nice interface. Apart from the non-existent grouping interface, the UI is really polished and intuitive, I found.

City of Villains (since two weeks):
--------------------------------------
Currently playing. Found it to be rather fast-paced and fun. Rather shallow, though, not much of a RPG.

+ Nice theme:
Over-the-top-Comic-book-reenactment. Great setting, really. Allows for incredible number of costume options. Also not standard (i.e. fantasy).

+ Customization:
Creating costumes is really fun. The amount of options is staggering, people really got individual looks (although black is somewhat predominant... ;) ).

+ Combat action
Fast, furious, laser-magic-melee-fire-zombie-massacre. Looks and plays great, rather refreshing.

+ no grinding for items/farming for gold
I like it that I don't have to farm for items or gold. Levelling is the only incentive, so I don't have to do one particular mission over and over again in order to get that one uber-item (sadly, the missions all feel the same at any rate).

+ Travel powers:
Superspeed, flying, teleport, jumping. What would probably look ridiculous in a fantasy-setting, perfectly fits the comic theme. Jumping over houses and up skyscrapers is plain fun.

+ Nice city graphics.
The rogue isles look nice. I usually log out with after "/em ledgesit" high on a skyscraper. Waters looks great, too.

- Repetitive missions. At level 30, I feel like I spent most of my time either in
a) sewers
B) a warehouse
c) an apartment-block
d) a cave
The lack of variety in combat (no real need for adapting tactics (which tactics, anyway?)) and the lack of super-sized enemies makes the missions rather repetetive

Re: So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Resurrection! I should be a Cleric!

Going from oldest to newest, only counting games I played for over a month...Or what felt like a month.

Shadowbane: I was in school, no credit card of my own, working. This would be my first mmorpg and I started playing it at 14. Loved the game, was sad to let it go, but even with paying my parents the money each month they weren't comfortable with me using their credit cards for a game so I eventually had to cancel.

Final Fantasy XI: Good game, made many English speaking friends quickly but the system for choosing a server plus me making a new character when I only had one slot made me lose them all after a week or so. The server I was placed on had a big majority of japanese speaking players and the translation system just wasn't good enough for true communication at the time. Other problems.. Dying to a bunny when I'd fought over a hundred that day and still wasn't off of them level wise! An elvaan literally stopped..pointed...and laughed. The meanest part of that was that he was a white mage if I remember right. Lastly, one day I decided to take my highest level character, a tarutaru that was somewhere between the levels of 6 and 14 (can't remember) and see how far I could get her. Her starting town was San d'Oria. I hiked her across forests, saw a huge temple that was always shown in the selection screen, a huge bull-like thing being fought by a group, deserts, a town inside some caves, huge things being fought on a ship (but I went right back down below deck after seeing them), and finally, a town of Mithra before I stopped. I'm almost certain I was near Windurst, but I had decided that I saw all I ever really needed to of the game from that trip.. I was content and canceled soon after that.

R.O.S.E. Online: Was only in beta, but I still quit it and this screenshot says it all- http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Yuffie-Teddy/Busy.jpg

It was worse outside of town, trust me. Just less stores opened and more "Oh my god, it's impossible to get a hold of anything to kill!"

World of Warcraft: Played this one for probably the longest I've ever played an mmorpg. Stopped the first time because the players had quite frankly depressed me. All storylines got so dark. Granted, I was a warlock, but that isn't an excuse for people to turn everything into a soap opera! Later, I returned and had a good amount of fun for a while until I a. Got extremely bored because of the lack of challenge without being in a huge crowd of people to zerg some big dungeon, and b. Had a bit of a falling out with some long time friends which made me a bit too sad to play.

Dungeons and Dragons Online: I know this wasn't for a month, but it's one of those that felt like it. This one was a combination of reasons.. Firstly, I chose the wrong class to start as. Second, elves should not want in halfling pants. Third, had a problem with a dwarf not knowing the difference between ic and ooc, and he was the only one that thought Pen was the pain her name said she was. Fourth, built in voice made it hard for me to play. I hope this wont be happening with Hero's Journey and it's built-in voice as much, but I get to watch kids a LOT, and on short notice. If people need me to stay for a dungeon and a voice program is being used, I'll often miss instructions just because it's hard to listen to two people saying different things.

Everquest 2: Honestly got less rp here than WoW. Super quite with the few that did rp out loud not really caring for outsiders to get involved in any of their rp. Tyrson and I mainly roleplayed with each other if I remember right. I remember one time getting a gathering of roleplayers because my Kerra was complaining about the rain in town, waiting under a merchant's tent for it to stop. I actually enjoyed playing the snotty rich girl a bit with a bodyguard to boss around.

There's many, many more, but they aren't really worth a paragraph or sentence to explain. Many good games are made, but for every good game there are at least ten bad ones.

Graves.jpg

UO: I was in high school at the time and Ultima was still but a neonate as well. I had fun with, I eventually quit cuz I tried EQ in college and swore it was the high-tom-titty. ;) Too much Oblivion lately..
EverQuest: I quit and started back this game probably the most. I had a level 50 character. Quit due to feeling 'done'. Got a couple of expansions behind, returned. Hit 60. Rinse and repeat. My longest track of playing tho' was with a rogue on the open PvP server, that's when I realized PvE was just too boring. I eventually returned to the PvE server to play with old pals and people I knew from work I actually got interested in playing. Maxxed, bought about 10 expansions over all. Subscribed and resubscribed probably no less than a dozen times.
Anarchy Online: Loved the game, but after about 10 months couldn't justify paying for it.
Shadowbane: Played the game for 14 months, just quit when the Mourning server got unplayable and they introduced a few changes I didn't agree with. I can say I've returned to it but I don't play constantly enough anymore to stay in a guild. I got a huge minotaur with roughly 500 str and a bit of intel to get those skills up. Still my favorite class system.
DAoC: On and off for a few months, enjoyed the PvP but never clicked with the community. None of my ol' MMO pals came over.
EQ roughly a dozen more times.
Planetside, Matrix Online, some odd others like Linage and Linage II. Eve. Beta'd a lot of them then as well including Roma Victor.
FFXI: One of the shortest games I played and loved and hated. I liked the quests and were satisfied with combat over all. But it was just so slow. I had already grinding out on EQ a dozen times, couldn't justify it anymore.
Horizons: I was there for 60 days. I liked the lore, the class choices, and fair amount of options in the game. It just seemed too large a scale for the companies watching over it tho'. -le sigh-
EQ2: Played it's first year, then returned for about 3 months after that with some expansions that were supposed to 'fix the game'. Frankly I feel the community was made up of the worst of the EQ community which on the outside is a quiet and mature crowd, but I'll say this they're god d*** re*ar*ed over all. Just playing it while comparing it side by side, the best features of EQ2 were in place in other games I played already. The graphics alone couldn't save it for me. I'm a game play ----- and it just never had it going on. Still doesn't, the game freaking sucks on it's basic level. Flash can't make up for it.
WoW: I like WoW. It was unqiue enough to keep me interested. Had fantastic game play to keep me interested. Told great stories and had a style all it's own. It's just, there wasn't enough unique to go around. I played it for about 2 years, probably will return soon and quit within a month.
City of Villains / Heroes: Just celebrated one year of playing the game and just took a break. I gave it hell when I beta tested it and didn't give it a chance for a couple of years. Until on CoV's second year they offered a free trial. I feel for it and still consider it truly one of the best just 'games' made. It could be better in a lot of aspects, but in each it's 'good enough'. PvP content, PvE content, customization and over all a sense of indeed being in a cheesy saturday morning cartoon with some 'Heavy Metal' magazine moments to it.

Yeah, I've played a lot of MMOs. That's not counting free ones and a couple of dead betas and trials I've tried. SWG was the game I played the least amount of time. Played launch, hated it, waited for it to get better and just never saw the opening to dive right back in. Ryzom or whatever was pretty cool but didn't sell to me. 9 Dragons I'm actually playing now from time to time, but like a couple hours a month. Same with Scions of Fate and other Korean style MMOs.

Wow, almost a decade of MMO playing? I qualify as turbo nerd now. 8B Rock on!

Re: So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Have a few mmo's to bring up:
AC2 was my first, was fun and exciting partly because I had no idea what to expect. Filling forges to make better crafting tools / weapons was fun and brought folks together. The loops we ran as a guild for xp were fun. Left to play another game's closed test.
SWG was a blast for a bit, played up till the Jedi cube told me I had to become a master armorsmith after I had already tailored my toon to what I wanted to play, bummed me out, I left.
WoW I got to test, and play. Fun crafting system. I enjoy the game even though I enjoyed lvling much more then grinding endgame dungeons for loot to survive in the very endgame. You can group or solo, even as a "support" class when your talents are tuned. All in all I have fun there, in pvp too, and still play in wow with the guild I am in and have been in through most of these games.
Auto Assault beta was fun, but glitchy for me, when the whole world blows up, you better have like 1zillionk ram and a spiffy processor. Not my game but a fun community, and fun to try.
EQ2 was fun for a bit. Very nasty death penalty made pugs (pick up groups) frustrating and barley worth the time. Solo was pretty hard (I was in for a few months after release no idea about it currently) so all in all even though visually the game was awesome, with good crafting I left.
CoH was fun although it seemed more like a playstaion game quest wise than a mmo. Nice customazation for toons, fun folks, shallow content. Didn't keep my interest for long at all.
Have played a few Korean games, RYL, 9 dragons to name a couple. Grind, grind, grind. I cannot hit the same 2 buttons over and over on the same mobs and find it fun. Definatley feels like a weak playstation game when I am in an asian mmo. Never have played for long. Hmm, neat a grind that's longer than normal, = uninstall.
I am probably forgeting some but that's about the sum of it. Exploring new games is fun to me, grinding is not. I would probably not be in WoW if it was not for the friends I have made in games over the years staying there, I don't enjoy running the same dungeons over and over for "rep" to get heroic keys, to run the same place over and over some more. Seems to be a content cop-out to me.
I am looking forward to the next new adventure, and hope HJ will shine like I think it will.

Got a few to list here...

First game was EQ1: Played for 5-6yrs off and on. When I first played it was fun just experiencing every zone and seeing new places... after capping out the level, the AAs were fun for me, maybe i'm crazy, but i loved grinding the AAs out with friends and the occasional pick up group. I also enjoyed the endgame, but after a few months the nonstop raiding of the same targets over and over and over again got tiresome, so I would quit for a couple months then go back to it... I'd still play, but I just dont have the time to dedicate to that lifestyle anymore, so there isnt much point to it.

EQ2: played for 3 months at release, quit because of nothing to do at capped level (I am a 1 toon person, i dont do "alts"), went back a year later, reached cap again, still boring endgame, so i quit again

WoW: 3 months, got my first toon to cap in a month, got bored, and quit. The game was just way too easy imo, and I don't like being forced to solo everywhere just because my class cant heal. Part of the fun of these games is the community, but i just didnt feel it in wow... between never finding a group and the nonstop kid gibberish on the channels, i just got fed up with it.

DDO: Played during beta and saw the problem right away, and the devs never listened. Low replayability, the dungeons all look the same, super laggy city (but the instances ran fine of course), doing the same dungeon over and over and over and over ..and over again... this game had a lot of promise, but just didnt deliver. (also played the live game for about 2 months during lull waiting for VG)

VG: Yeah we all know what went on here... lots of promise, all fell thru. Endless grind and death penalty didnt bother me, it was the constant lag fest, half the content missing, and the player base being so spread out that getting a group took forever, even as a healer class. I dont want to spend 2-3hours when i get online looking for a group... if i cant get a group in the first 30minutes, i'm logging or soloing somewhere. Soloing is boring to me, if i'm forced into this, I will eventually leave...

Another thing i really hated with all these games (except EQ1) was the solo con vs group con mess. I dont want to be held back because i'm solo, so therefore the game says i cant kill such and such mob because its a "group con" mob... screw that... If that mob is higher level than me, it should require a group, if its by itself and lower level than me, i should be able to take it out... the only exception should be group Named and raid Named... In EQ1, I could go to any zone and kill pretty much anything solo short of big named and the most recent content (which normally hit a lot harder than the older content, and more resistant, so they were MUCH harder to solo... I'm cool with that)

Also tried quite a few japanese/chinese mmos, but i'm not big on pvp, and the grinds were pointless

Back