So who else is tired of snow?

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
I'm in the North-East USA and I'm just tired of it already. We've had so much snow this Winter that the total accumulation is now the 4th highest season recorded since they started tracking it in the 1800's.

At least it makes my front yard look nice.

Kevin's Front Yard.gif

Today was a slight coating of hail (maybe sleet). Now they're calling for another snow storm next week. Oh, come on! :banghead:

And the result of that ice storm?

Our development is still digging out from the ice but thankfully we only lost power for a few hours. Lots of trees down (I lost an apple tree in my backyard :() and minor damage from falling limbs. The surrounding neighborhoods did not make out so well and there is still widespread power outages because of trees falling on power lines. Driving to work this morning I felt like a rat in a maze because so many side streets were closed that I had to take numerous, sometimes creative, workarounds -- I'm just glad a drive a vehicle with 4WD for some of them. :D

Below is a pic from one of the roads I encountered this morning. That was taken from the middle of an intersection. The road was closed earlier on my drive so I took a wide alternate route to get around the closed section & get back on it. When I reached the road again the pics are what I encountered trying to get back on the road. Look in one direction, trees down. Turn around, look in the other direction, trees down. Nuts.

It was a little surreal how much damage there was along the way. When I got to our office there were crews cutting down & chipping most of the trees near our parking lot as most of them were either already leaning over or were split.

IMG_20140207_103002_790_zpshtdsv2nt.jpg
IMG_20140207_103021_042_zpskxwxm7li.jpg

Meanwhile down under we're having heat waves and bushfires.
I saw a news article earlier today showing a pic a passenger took during a plane landing and large fires could be easily seen. :eek:

You staying safe? I'd imagine that you guys are are going through the opposite of us... people trying to stay warm while you're trying to stay cool.

Yeah pretty much. The CFA (Country Fire Authority) is doing a stellar job controlling the fires in my area. The ones you saw are the ones threatening Melbourne suburbs, they're some of the nastiest. Though, 2 days ago, fires near us spread to a coal mine and blew up a substation cutting power to our entire region. The fire there is expected to burn for weeks and seriously impact the state's power supply so that'll be fun what with everyone running their Air-con 24/7.

Fortunately, even though my area is covered in a blanket of thick smoke, it's from backburning not out of control fires so we're not in any danger... For now!

Back