SOE: "Sorry Vanguard is terrible, here, try this!"

So I too was one of the folks bamboozled into thinking Vanguard, Saga of Heroes, would be a good game. I beta(ed? or d?) it. Liked the character customization (mainly in the sense that I could be a *very* topheavy halfling, but that's besides the point), and enjoyed the gameplay. Then they cut character customization in half, limiting slider bars and taking away from a good thing. I guess they did it to cut down on lag. Then after I redid all the quests I did in beta I realized hey! there's no more content! The game was released way before it was ready, and I hear SoE is attempting a "re-release" of the game.

My wife and I recently got 2 pre-printed cards in the mail, thanking us for playing Vanguard, and giving us a free 2 month trial of EQ2, to keep us playing *some* bloody SoE sponsored game until Vanguard is rerererereleased.

So... did any of you guys get these? I think it's absolutely hilarious. (Confession) I did actually install EQ2 at my wife's discretion, and have been playing it with her. It's not too bad, it's just... well... a lot like EQ1 without the race/class restrictions and general lack of race/class choices. Not bad. I guess it's something decent enough to keep my attention off eating up Simu's website bandwidth every day.

But yeah, amusing, isn't it?

My wife and I got ours because we cancelled Vanguard... god about a month after we bought it. The beta was so much better than the final release.

Anyway, maybe you just haven't gotten yours yet, or maybe it got lost in the mail. Just try to log in your station account and maybe you have some gametime already on there, and just haven't gotten your card yet.

Husband and I got emails for these, yup. We're back playing EQ2 (we've played off and on since release) and having a pretty good time with old guild friends.

I doubt seriously that I will ever play Vanguard again though.

Well ours said "we noticed you aren't playing EQ2 anymore, and you tried Vanguard then quit - here's some free EQ2 time."

*taps foot and plots raiding the SoE offices a few miles away*

I'd love to give EQ2 another run, especially if it's free. I want to see the new Neriak :smiley:

Can't knock SOE for pushing their products, they're killing the competition with their pass deal. I keep swearing I won't pay that but we always do because we do play several of their games in spurts. Hubby's over at SWG and I'm doing EQ2 for the summer.

IF you go back to EQ2, definitely hit Antonia Bayle server for roleplay. Especially the Neriak and Freeport races. Daily, hours long roleplayers out and about in WFP and I have noticed it in Neriak now, too. Oh, and if starting a new char, go Neriak or run to Darklight woods (if from FP) because the quests there and rewards are rather uber for those levels.

Neriak is... lovely but imo it's missing some of the flavor from old Neriak. No secret windows or walls or passages etc. And no troll stripper either. Bummer, I really liked her. :smiley:

Antonia Bayle is where it's at :smiley:

I never played Freeport however, I likely would to give Neriak a look. Even if it's presence ruins atleast 2 of my previous storylines >.>

Anyone else remember SoE going on about how they "didn't plan to revisit much of the original Norrath", promising to make their own new world? Does SoE ever say anything and stick to it?

Blast! I went and made a new SOE account when I played VG. So now I can't get the free EQ2. :P It's the best MMORPG out there right now.

RIP Vanguard. T.T

I can't wait for HJ. I haven't RPed in so long. My wizard side is raging within me, ready to shoot a fireball at an evildoer and smite the crud outta someone. x______________X

I wouldn't go as far as to say EQ2 is the "best" MMORPG out there, but it's definately pretty good. They did away with all the stuff that was really, really annoying about EQ1, and added a solid questline comparable to WoW, so if you don't want to look for a group... well.... you don't have to. Yay!

Honestly trying to rack my brain on what game I'd consider to be the "best" at the current moment hurts my brain... I don't think I really have a favorite, just varying levels of "meh."

I'm such a bloody pessimist.

I'm always a bit amazed at how few people realize the ways you can level in EQ2.

I've one char that is now lvl 44, she got there by collections (collect glowy items on the ground scattered around the world to complete a set) AND harvesting. Sometimes when you harvest you have to kill a mob to get to the harvest node, most times you don't.

I did furniture for a lady other day that is lvl 52. She says she's PURE collections and only collections. Never fought a day in her life (she's also a crafter so no need to fight).

I've met chars that are quest only, they don't fight unless it involves quests.

I know a bud that is solo only, does nothing if it means grouping.

I know tons of crafters that do nothing but craft, never any combat.

I've one char I'm testing out that does No quests at all. She's a tad slow to level. heh

There is a lot to do. Of course you can always sit and watch the filth in 1-9 chat. 10-19 is almost as bad. Better chats (more adult, less foulness) are 30 plus it seems.
Or you can do like my 41 provisioner... stand around the FP Blood Haze Inn tavern and make food while watching a handful of people roleplay. Gets rather amusing at times.

Now see, as a new EQ2 player, that's all new to me. But dandy! I like seeing other ways to go about gaining xp other than whacking stuff. Not entirely sure what the idea behind collections is, but it's still another means of leveling, which is cool.

When a game tailors to the wants of the players, instead of forcing them along a set path of gameplay, that to me is the essence of what a MMORPG should be, so perhaps I should retract my previous statement about EQ2 (it now receives a resounding Meh! from me, and that's a good thing). I have heard folks saying it's very possible to solo your way to max level, which is a big accomplishment as far as online games go. So many games today had great concepts, but squashed their own ideas by forcing players to rely on certain forms of gameplay.

FFXI is a perfect example of this, past a certain level, even things several levels below you will utterly destroy you if you try to solo them, rendering leveling at that point without a group completely impossible. Screw that.

I adore EQ2s various quest systems and the many goals you can give yourself in game :smiley:

I had a guild mate who turned off exp gain at level 40 because she wanted to work on her quest count (SoE keeps track of that, and there's a leader board for it on their players site) and didn't wish to outlevel a big chunk of quests. So she turn off her exp for months, she could have probably been 50+ with all the exp she missed out on but she didn't care. She finished a few hundred more quests, turned her exp gain back on and continued.

No other game has that :smiley:

My character's thing was books, any book quest I could find I was all over. The best part was how many different ways I could get a book. There were simple rewards, books given as a secondary part of quests, books bought from NPCs that had requirements to track down each page, pages that droped from only specific mobs that once pieced together formed a book. Myself I turned off exp for nearly a week because I didn't want the orcs I needed to kill to finish a history book to gray out and stop dropping pages when I leveled :smiley:

I'm afraid I wouldn't wander from Antonia Bayle, hehe. I paid $150 to have two characters transfered with all their items from Lucan D'lere to there. Heck of a server.

Though I <3 the Naeya, if I decide to get it all re-installed mayhaps I'll poke my head over there. I just don't know! It's been so long since I played, and all my friends are max level now. Sort of set that game aside and tucked it away as "Game I loved but quit because SoE likes to nerf the hell out of crafting systems always"

I installed and all anyhow.. I mean, it's free and it looks like it's not really for two months, but until Sept. 15.. One thing I always loved about EQ2 was the player housing. Otherwise, always had a problem just MEETING people.

I just got mine today, and am downloading it all now. I suppose I can't pass up an opportunity to play a game for free. :D2

Word of WARNING........ hehe

If you play on Antonia Bayle (not sure about other servers), you might want to turn off the 1-9 and 10-19 chat channels. 1-9 is like... the barrens of WoW chat 90% of the time. Every jerk with a free account is there making the game suck for others. 10-19 is tad better but some jerks stay around. Come 20-29 it does improve a bit as people realize that there are just some things you can't do in game if you're an -------. Names spread on that server. Ascadom is excellent example, massive master ninja looter type dude that the server discusses daily after he rips off yet another player. Wish Sony would boot that guy.

Anyhow... I ramble. eep

The chat channels imo are 80% of the time worth having on (okay not the lowbie ones). Very active, lots of chatter, not always about game. You can find out about guilds not listed also as they do announcements there. Which is allowed so no griping.

Hit neriak or wfp for displays of roleplay, pretty much anytime. Set your roleplay option on under your Persona options if you're into roleplay.

I'm on FP side (go fp and neriak!!!). You can find me as Rakali, my harvester sage, dodger of mobs 20 levels above her just to get that dang collection glowy on the ground over there must get to it must must get to it... errr It's addicting to see what dragons you can dodge for a glowy. :( Buuutt She can do you up spells as long as you have the components for her first off.

Some links for you newbies

EQ2i (wiki style)
http://eq2i.com/articles/Main_Page

EQ2ref (adornments, spells, abilities, traits, AAs, etc)
http://eq2ref.com/

Everseek for your crafters (not sure it's updated anymore but it has PICTURES)
http://www.everseek.com/

EQ2 Traders is not to be missed by you crafters. Also good place to look up what components are needed for that awesome crafter made armor you want.
EQ2 Traders Corner

History of Norrath ( no longer updated but an awesome resource anyhow)
History of Norrath by Lumena Naktame - Traders of The Edge guild on Faydark

MAPS
EQ2MAP
Ther is no better than eq2maps little updating program.

And... EQ2 Roleplayers
http://www.guildportal.com/Guild.aspx?GuildID=83675&TabID=720393

As for meeting people. Well there is the chat. And you will find most of your groups that way. Don't be shocked if you find it hard to get groups below lvl 20, for some reason this game is one where people get into soloing half the newbie content. Maybe due to better money gain which is NEEDED (harvest, you'll get rich). Otherwise, just hit the rp areas and stay in char, greet people.

Back