Some Thoughts on Vaughn's Wife

Azalea

Azy in Wonderland
I have no idea if this has been posted already or not, because there are so many theories I can't keep up with them all. But I had a weird dream about Alias last night, and it made me think of this.

Since we pretty much know for sure now that Vaughn is going to be married, what if it turns out that his wife is a mole? Someone placed inside the CIA to take advantage of his grief for Sydney and marry him, much like Irina was placed there to marry Jack?

And if it wasn't revealed until mid-season or later, it would give them time to do some great Syd/Vaughn angst, but it would be easier to resolve than, say, a divorce. If she was a mole, the marriage could be annulled, and Vaughn wouldn't be obliged to feel guilty because he didn't really do anything to break up the marriage. And unlike with Jack and Irina, he wouldn't pine over her because she wasn't really his true love in the first place; Sydney was. She could even have been placed there by Sloane or Irina to distract Vaughn and take him off Sydney's trail.

Of course, it more than likely won't happen that way, because they have used that device a lot already, but I like it better than Vaughn's wife being a truly good person that he's going to betray or have cooling feelings for once Syd comes back. That just seems beneath him. What do you think?

well thats a good thought!! i have no idea who his wife could be but i know its not alice!! oh im really excited though to find out and cant wait to see the tension rise between syd and vaughn now!!

The one and only thing that makes it unlikely, like you said, is the fact that it's already happened twice with Irina and Elsa Caplan.

But I agree. It would be much better if Vaughn doesn't dump his wife for Syd.

I have no idea if this has been posted already or not, because there are so many theories I can't keep up with them all. But I had a weird dream about Alias last night, and it made me think of this.

Since we pretty much know for sure now that Vaughn is going to be married, what if it turns out that his wife is a mole? Someone placed inside the CIA to take advantage of his grief for Sydney and marry him, much like Irina was placed there to marry Jack?

And if it wasn't revealed until mid-season or later, it would give them time to do some great Syd/Vaughn angst, but it would be easier to resolve than, say, a divorce. If she was a mole, the marriage could be annulled, and Vaughn wouldn't be obliged to feel guilty because he didn't really do anything to break up the marriage. And unlike with Jack and Irina, he wouldn't pine over her because she wasn't really his true love in the first place; Sydney was. She could even have been placed there by Sloane or Irina to distract Vaughn and take him off Sydney's trail.

Of course, it more than likely won't happen that way, because they have used that device a lot already, but I like it better than Vaughn's wife being a truly good person that he's going to betray or have cooling feelings for once Syd comes back. That just seems beneath him. What do you think?

HEY! That's what I was thinking! I posted that somewhere on this site! I like that idea, and I could TOTALLY see JJ doing that! I really honestly do hope that that happens! I really can see that happening on the show.

It would be alot easier if Vaughn wasn't married, or was married to someone we like...for example...lets just say....Sydney.

LMAO! I totally agree!

hmm ya these are both good theorys but I don't know? :blink: i think that they have already done that twice but im keeping all my options open for vaughn not being REALLY married. cuz u know on ALIAS its usually something you would never think to happen that happens.

lauren vartan :surf:

I love this idea -- despite the fact I'm still annoyed that in two SHORT years he got married!

What happened to undying love? Grieving? Fighting like hell to find the missing woman!

Its not like he had a body to put in a grave and say farewells to -- he had a missing body he should have been out looking for -- or at least that's how I remember the finale all these weeks later!

(yes, I was yelling at the screen when I saw that wedding ring after only 2 years. :angry: 5 maybe... maybe but two? Not in my universe! :smiley: )

Well, this is me hoping the writers are half as clever as the fans and come up with some good answers that get me a little less frustrated. :smiley:

ka_el_ma said:
What happened to undying love?  Grieving?  Fighting like hell to find the missing woman!

Its not like he had a body to put in a grave and say farewells to -- he had a missing body he should have been out looking for -- or at least that's how I remember the finale all these weeks later!

(yes, I was yelling at the screen when I saw that wedding ring after only 2 years.  :angry:  5 maybe... maybe but two?  Not in my universe! :smiley:  )

Well, this is me hoping the writers are half as clever as the fans and come up with some good answers that get me a little less frustrated.  :smiley:
My suggestion is--yes!--look forward to seeing what the writers have to say about what's going on inside Vaughn. Personally, this subject fascinates me.

There's a lot more to Vaughn than we see. For example, they never really got to the heart of why Vaughn continued to date Alice although he clearly preferred Sydney. My feeling is that he was all avoidy about getting involved with someone with whom he automatically had so much baggage--her mom killed my dad, her dad ought to be locked up somewhere (c'mon, you know he's thought that)--yet he wasn't willing to bring it up to Sydney's face because he was too attracted to her. You know he didn't want to confront his feelings about her mother & go over them with her--and he'd have to, sooner or later, if they were to stay together.

So she is apparently dead? Maybe he sees this as a way put all that behind him without ever having to sort out all that baggage--an escape route. It's not as though they were together a long time. No matter how much somebody loves someone else, if the experience is a particularly painful one, sometimes that person is simply anxious to put the experience behind him as quickly as possible--and if it's brief, that's all the more tempting and easy to do.

For Jack, on the other hand, it's impossible to do. He's constructed his entire life around that of his daughter for over 20 years. This is not true of Vaughn, no matter how much he loves her, true love or not. Not only that, Jack is used to confronting his pain.

(BTW, seemed like Sydney really loved Danny, but she moved on easily enough within 2 years . . .)
;)

verdantheart said:
So she is apparently dead? Maybe he sees this as a way put all that behind him without ever having to sort out all that baggage--an escape route. It's not as though they were together a long time. No matter how much somebody loves someone else, if the experience is a particularly painful one, sometimes that person is simply anxious to put the experience behind him as quickly as possible--and if it's brief, that's all the more tempting and easy to do.

For Jack, on the other hand, it's impossible to do. He's constructed his entire life around that of his daughter for over 20 years. This is not true of Vaughn, no matter how much he loves her, true love or not. Not only that, Jack is used to confronting his pain.
A thought I came up with is maybe Jack told Vaughn to give up on Syd. He never really enjoyed Vaughn's relationship with Syd, and if Vaughn gave up on the search for her, this would make it easier for Jack to work with Sloane.
:Ph34r:

All Cool stuff to think on.

Jack would certainly feel free to go about the hunt for Sydney "his way" without the boyscout watching over his shoulder and tagging along.

And there certainly was baggage to be faced... but Sydney knew the things he couldn't talk about with anyone else.

I always thought of Alice as just a cover story. Though she probably didn't know it... he seemed to keep her around so no one would accuse him and Sydney of being inappropriate. He seemed to dump her when he realized, "oh wait, no one's buying it."

ka_el_ma said:
but Sydney knew the things he couldn't talk about with anyone else.
Including Sydney, and that's a problem.

I always thought of Alice as just a cover story.  Though she probably didn't know it... he seemed to keep her around so no one would accuse him and Sydney of being inappropriate.  He seemed to dump her when he realized, "oh wait, no one's buying it."
Then why not tell Sydney about it and keep her from freaking out, for God's sake?! Besides, stringing someone along as a cover isn't exactly a nice thing to do, is it? It's even worse than kidding yourself that you can keep away from Sydney and make it work with Alice.
;)

re: Alice, Vaughn showed his human and flawed side, which I needed to see to make him more real.

re: Sydney, I hope we get some season 3 references to Vaughn having finally gotten some therapy for falling in love with the daughter of the woman who murdered his father. Those therapy sessions... if he were open, honest, and as pained as we know him to be, could be great entertainment.

You know he didn't want to confront his feelings about her mother & go over them with her--and he'd have to, sooner or later, if they were to stay together.

Sydney said that! In a Dark Turn, she told him that they'd have to talk about it sooner or later. But he didn't want to. ANyone remember that?

ka_el_ma said:
re: Alice, Vaughn showed his human and flawed side, which I needed to see to make him more real.
Which is what I believe I was talking about in my large post above. I really tend to lean towards my arguments there rather than the Alice-cover-story idea, which I would think Vaughn would consider beneath him. (He certainly places himself on a higher moral pedestal than Jack, whether he belongs there or not.)

Alias said:
Sydney said that! In a Dark Turn, she told him that they'd have to talk about it sooner or later. But he didn't want to. ANyone remember that?
Yep.
;)

I don't want Vaughn to be married to someone other than Syd either. But to be fair to Vaughn he does tell Sydney in Hong Kong that he thought she was dead. If Sloane or Irina made it look like she was dead then two years was not out of line to marry someone.

Oh and I love the mole idea that would get rid of the wife so easily :cool:

Yeah the character who plays Vaughn's wife will be hated very very much........I'm still not sure why JJ did this............He just opened a can of worms with his fans.....................................

bluheart13 said:
He just opened a can of worms with his fans.....................................
And a lot of dramatic possibilities for his character. I think that's why he did it.
;)

Yeah, but hopefully it all turns out well.
As for Vaughn's wife being a mole...
I don't know, that's kinda strange, I wouldn't
complain necessarily, but its like
"Yeah, I thought you were dead, so I got remarried but the woman I loved turned out to be a mole so we can hook up again!"... ?

Back