Sorcerer's Sleep

Title: Sorcerer's Sleep

Author: Me (ILOVEALIAS27 or Lee0

Spoilers: Major spoilers for book 6.

Background: This conversations takes place about a month before Snape kills Dumbledore. I always thought that Snape was too good a character(I know it sounds crazy) to kill Dumbledore and so this is my explanation for the story. As always, I own nothing.

“He’s coming, Professor,” said the portrait to my right, across the room. She was a plump woman of about sixty years with a warm, open face.

“Thank you Myrtle,” I said and she smiled.

I sat down at my desk, and leafed through some papers, I was feeling very on edge.

There was a knock at my door.

“Enter,” I commanded.

Severus Snape entered and stood by the door.

“Come in, sit down.”

He did so, and I could read his face. He was confused on why he was being called here.

I closed my eyes and sent out a wave of magic. The portraits could have blocked it, but they didn’t know what was happening until it was too late. I had cast a spell that kept them from hearing anything Severus or I would say. I could see the portraits yelling, but I couldn’t hear them and they couldn’t hear us.

I could tell that Severus had felt the magic and this only confused him more.

“I’m not sure if we can win this time,” I admitted to him.

“Excuse me sir?”

“The war with Voldermort. Not to sound arrogant, but I was a strong part of the movement, but I am growing weaker every day. People are losing faith, Severus, they are losing hope.”

“Everyone?” He asked, his bright eyes fixed on me. “Or just you?”

I nodded, “Touché. Perhaps I am losing hope, but the fact remains that we are losing, they are winning and-” I trailed off.

Neither of us said anything, then, “And what?”

I sighed, “I know this would be impossible, but if you and Harry Potter could work together-”

“Absolutely not!” He snarled, “Do I have to remind you what his father did to me, and that smug, arrogant-”

“Severus,” I said sharply, and he stopped, embarrassed, “That will be enough. Despite your feelings for the boy, he is our only hope, and you must protect him.”

“I know.”

“And this is our problem. Voldermort suspects you, and is beginning to doubt your loyalty to him.” I held up a hand before he could say anything, “I know, you are doing a wonderful job, but at some point I’m still alive and Harry is still alive. This would lead him to doubt anyone.”

Severus gave a harsh laugh, “I can’t exactly kill either of you, now can I…” He trailed off, seeing my stern face. Then he faltered, “Dumbledore, absolutely not. I can’t kill-”

“Severus, you won’t be killing anyone.”

We looked at each other for a minute.

Then I asked him, “Have you ever heard of a potion called Sorcerer’s Sleep?”

Severus thought for a long moment, then shook his head.

“That’s not surprising, only one wizard has ever used it, and he is its inventor. It, for lack of a better term, mimics death. The body completely shuts down for six months, and the person appears dead. They can survive without food, water. Magical Scientists have theorized that while under the influence, witches and wizards could survive anything from stabs to poison to great falls to, even, the Killing Curse.”

Severus didn’t say anything and I could tell he was attempting to comprehend everything that I was saying. I must admit, when I had first heard of this potion, it seemed the stuff of fiction. What potion could protect against Aveda Kedavra?

“Why are you telling me this?” he asked.

“Because, we need you to win back Voldermort’s trust. You can do this in two ways, killing Harry Potter, which I cannot allow, or killing me.”

“No! I won’t-”

“I assure you, I don’t wish to die anymore than you wish to kill me. So listen to my plan. We are aware of the night that Draco Malfoy plans to attack the castle, Harry and I would leave on a mission that night, lulling him into a false sense of security. We would set him up so he would be ready to kill me, he won’t of course, killing is not in his nature. Then you would arrive and perform the Killing Curse on me, but I would have taken this Sorcerer’s Sleep and in six months, someone would need to come dig me up.”

“And you think this would work? Are you sure of this potion?”

“Yes.” Was my simple answer.

Severus exhaled loudly, “I don’t like this, there are too many other things that might go wrong. What if the secret leaks out?”

“That’s why I have not, and will not, tell anyone about this plan, and neither will you. For six months, Voldermort will believe he has won, but then I will return, Harry will be safe and we will defeat him.”

There was a profound silence.

“And you think this can work?” Severus repeated.

“Yes,” I replied. “Do you trust me Severus?”

Severus looked at his feet, “The question is, can you trust me?”

“You know I trust you with me life,” I smiled, “this time of course, it will be literally.”

A weak smile played across the young man’s features, “Fine.”

I extended my hand and, after a moment, he grabbed it in his.

And with that handshake, the dye was cast.

This is a one parter, but please tell me what you think! :D

*sigh* If only it were true. Well written (y) I really liked it

:beard: <--- looks like Dumbledore! ;)

Keep them comming

seona

Well writen, as usual and good theory! I wish something like that would happen... JK needs to take a page out of the Alias playbook.

lol, Alias much?

thankfully this is not true. honestly, i think the 7th book should have Harry AND Voldemort killed off. since she's already offed Dumbledore, she might as well...anyway

good piece. i liked the first person.

heey, did you get this from Song of the Lioness? In Lioness Rampant Roger mentions it. If you did, cool, because I love Tamora Pierce! :lol: Nice one-shot! I think that Dumbledore IS dead but he'll still be a presence in the next book. Great write!

Back