Sorry for lack of updates..

frostydf2

Cadet
I just want everyone to know that Hero's Hall is still here. We are pushing Simutronics every day for new content, and new articles, but nothing so far. We're doing our best to deliver what you guys are asking for, but with no luck.

Just don't lose faith! We aren't dieing anytime soon, only growing ;)

And waiting... patiently... yes, so patiently...

OMG OMG GIVE ME BETAZ OR INFORZ OR TEAZORZ!!!!111!!!!11one OMG oMg

Or something like that.

We understand it's not up to you guys when more infomation comes out and we understand that when it does, you will put it out ASAP. So no worries, cheers.

I totally misread Chrisidon's post. I though he was demanding Beta info or a Tea Pot.

Like what the hell is he going to do with a tea pot?!

-Rick

Sure would be cool to be a mod... Cause, you know, there isn't any kind of application we could send it several weeks ago and still not have an answer.

Just wishful thinking I guess...

Back when I was a VanBoy (like a Fan Boy, only for Vanguard) I liked how they would release teasers every so often to keep the interest going until they started Beta. Of course, then *info deleted, attention Chrisidon: You violated our NDA and now we'll send our Sony Thugs to get you!!!* so I dropped that like a hot potato. Even without teasers I'm waiting patiently for HJ because, let's face it, Simu has yet to disappoint me. Probably why I'm here, and pining away (darn you, bills and expenses) for being able to play GS or DR again.

So, like, I was wondering... Did they officially kill the mmorpg.com Dev Journals, or what? I mean, they've been inactive for like a couple months now, so...

*Sneaks into the Simutronics offices, gets a job as a janitor, spends nights reviewing the new Hero's Journey informations and progress.*

HH. Bringing ALL HJ news right to you. Right here. Right now.

Simu GM Quotes

Re: Lack of HJ updates from Simu

HJ-DEZORIN 9/28/06 said:
I'm not an onsite GM, but I am a GM. I can assure you, everyone is alive and well.

I've been busier than I have been in the past, so that's got to count for something. I'm not responsible for releasing information, only onsite dictates that, so I cannot say for sure when or if anything will go over concerning HJ in the near future. I honestly don't have that information.

The focus this year has really been HeroEngine, there's no denying that. And I don't need to go into detail why that's a good thing (HE improves, HJ improves as a result). My GUESS is that as the year comes to a close you will begin to see more HJ related news. Simu is not composed of a huge group of individuals, so they can only place their focus on so many things at once.

Re: Simu not having enough resources to develop/support both Hero's Journey and the Hero Engine

HJ-Illuminatis 9/29/06 said:
That would be true in a normal small company. Remember a good portion of the content being made for the game is handled by those who are not onsite. The engine is being entirely done by staff onsite, and is a seperate team from HJ devs. Those people have never been involved in the HJ development except in providing new toys to work with.

The problem with the lack of info probably stems from the fact that the PR person is also the lead creativity developer. She's in a huge creativity crunch time and probably doesn't have much time for anything else. Maybe with the extra Engine revenue they'll be able to hire more onsite staff to take some of the load off of her? /shrug

PR Person is also the lead design developer??? (Steph?) Ouch. Hire! Get a volunteer! Do something... Anything.

Why do companies do that? There was another game I followed that hired a Community Relations Manager from the community. That's great and all, but the kid had no experience or knowledge on public relations. He was just a local fan boy. They manage to piss off almost their entire fan base before the game even went into beta (for the 3rd time).

Every small busisness owner should read this: Top ten geek business myths

No matter how great your game is, it is public(customer) relations that will make or break your product.

-Rick

WatchMaker said:
Tell them to let us all beta right now. Then we can spill the loots about everything and everyone we know. That will get the word around.

lol well ya then they kick us outta beta and not let us create another acct so we don't get to play the game at all. Great idea you start :P hehe

Another GM Quote for the records:

HJ-Razu 10/5/06 said:
Have faith faithful future HJers. I love aliteration.

The GMs, both onsite and offsite, have been busy the past few months. The offsite GMs, such as myself and the other GMs posting here, have many duties.

Offsite GM Duties (not all apply to all GMs):
1. Design Areas, Quest areas
2. Write Quest Material
3. Design Wyr and history behind it
4. Script the various systems**
5. Train new offsite GMs
6. Manage their team of GMs
7. Attend meetings
8. Maintain real life jobs
9. College classes
10. Support families, if applicable
11. Do all this work for free

Onsite Staff duties:
1. Promote HJ and the HeroEngine at Tradeshows (ADC, E3, etc)
2. Script the various systems**
3. Hire new Offsite GMs from a list of applicants
4. Attend meetings
5. Promote HeroEngine to prospective licensees (different from Tradeshow display)
6. Initial designs for the various systems to be scripted for HJ.
7. Perfect HeroEngine (for both the benefit of HJ and licensees such as Bioware)
8. The same staff also maintains critical big fixes for the IFE games (GS4, DR, MO, CS, AoH)
9. Press releases to promote HJ and/or HeroEngine

**This is a multi-step process which can take a week or two before a GM even writes one line of code. It really is a long process. We don't get an assignment and start scripting it 5 minutes later.

Offsite HJ GMs currently are working for free. Our only benefit is free access to the IFE games (GS4, DR, MO, CS, AoH). Therefore most GMs have real life jobs in addition to any family responsibilities. We are only required to put in an average of 15 or so hours a week. I've been an HJ GM for a year as of the week of Halloween. I have spent the last 11 months scripting HJ systems in my free time. And I am still learning all the neat things the HJ scripting language can do. Its that versatile. Just to give you a perspective on how the aforementioned offsite GM list relates to me, I do numbers 4-11.

HJ is not on the back burner. It is very much alive. The reason you don't see alot of media information about HJ is the fact that, as GM Illuminatus said, the same person who writes all the press releases you see here on mmorpg.com also works on some of the history and world design aspects for HJ. Steph has alot on her plate in her position at Simutronics. As do we all. New information can only come from Onsite staff. Offsite GMs cannot, by signed contract, release any information not previously released nor approved by the Onsite staff of Simutronics.

We are not about "Finish the game and get it out to the public ASAP!!!!". We are about a finished product worthy of the term MMORPG and worthy of the attention of our current and future customer base. We will not release HJ into Beta until we are sure we have everything ready for widescale testing. We will not open HJ to the public until we are sure we've fixed every bug we can find, designed every system necessary, and perfected the Wyr and Combat systems to meet our expectations of balance, realism, system integrity (no bugs), and lack of player ability to circumvent our limitations (not possible to cheat it).

Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither will HJ. We are a small company with maybe a 1/10 of the resources of Blizzard and Sony Online Entertainment. We will release new information when we have it, and we will open Beta when the time is right. All we ask is time so we can make a game worthy of your attention and appreciation. We have a reputation in the online community, and we mean to surpass it with the release of Hero's Journey. For the GMs, its all about the customer's enjoyment. If we didn't enjoy working on this game, we certainly would not be doing it for free.