TV Space: 2099 (reboot)

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Well, here is something that I wasn't expecting.... a relaunch of the old Space: 1999 TV series!

ITV Studios America and HDFILMS, the company behind ABC's reimagining of "V," are prepping a contemporary iteration of the 1970s space franchise.

ITV Studios America and HDFILMS announced plans for a reimagining of Gerry and Sylvia Anderson's famed franchise of the 1970s, then called Space: 1999. The news comes months after Fox and producer Seth MacFarlane announced they would be reviving Cosmos: A Space Time Odyssey, a 1980s miniseries from Carl Sagan.

"Science fiction is a powerful format capable of visualizing the human condition in thought-provoking ways," said HDFilms president Jace Hall, who will spearhead the effort and serve as an executive producer. The project is in the development phase and has yet to be shopped to networks.

"While we are indeed re-imagining the franchise and bringing something new and relevant to today’s audiences," continued Hall, who recently revived V at ABC, "I feel strongly that some of the overall tones set by the original Space: 1999 television show represent an exciting platform to explore possibilities.”

Added ITV Studios International's managing director Paul Buccieri: “After more than 35 years, we are thrilled to be developing a new vision of our much beloved franchise for audiences worldwide. Historically, the Space: 1999 brand has entertained and fascinated millions of people."

Attachments

• space_2099_poster_a_p.jpg
    space_2099_poster_a_p.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 175
It could be good if they keep the existentialism of the original series. It'll be compared to Star Trek of course. But, with Star Trek only in reruns it could fill the gap.

Space 1999 was an enjoyable romp - but the science behind it - oh my word!

I have the DVDs of the original series and there is a hilarious interview with Gerry Anderson on one of the discs in which he tries to justify the science behind the concept of the moon blowing up and shooting off on its pan-galactic odessey. Fantastic stuff.

Maybe Space 2099 should be based on the idea of a giant space ship on a galactic odessey rather than the entire moon popping off on a space jaunt.

Apparently, the whole original series more or less was thought up on the back of the question "what are we going to do with all these UFO sets we've created now that another series of it isn't going to be commissioned?"

Back