Sci-Fi Space Ship Discussion and Designs

Which Spaceship Design From TV Shows or Movies Do You Like Best?

• Star Wars Ships (Any Alliance)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Star Trek Ships (Any Alliance)

• Stargate Ships

• Babylon 5 Ships

• Andromeda Ships

• Total voters
Hey Tom, thanks for saying that but they are posted to this thread a couple of pages back, just not on the poster.
Yeah, I saw that after I posted my reply (its hard to keep track of all the pics).
I ran out of room in the galleries.

At first I liked the idea of the globe ship. Some of the others have weird appendages which can only be explained as fantasy extensions to only look fierce! I.e. No practical purpose. Given a globe though, say 20Km dia. what gravity would it exhibit (w/o any gravity generator - whatever that is)?

At first I liked the idea of the globe ship. Some of the others have weird appendages which can only be explained as fantasy extensions to only look fierce! I.e. No practical purpose. Given a globe though, say 20Km dia. what gravity would it exhibit (w/o any gravity generator - whatever that is)?
20Km dia has nothing to do with gravity. Gravity is dependent on mass not size. It depends on what that 20km dia globe is made from. Think 20m globe of balsa wood vs a 20m globe of pure lead.
Artificial gravity could be used in a globe ship by placing a chunk of dead star material in the center (small size/high mass). Just try to remember the more mass, the more thrust needed for propulsion and directional maneuvering.

No use drawing spacecraft designs until we know how to produce gravity. Humans need constant g to survive any reasonable length of time. Take Startrek, they must have some sort of g generator under each floor. Has it ever been mentioned?

No use drawing spacecraft designs until we know how to produce gravity. Humans need constant g to survive any reasonable length of time. Take Startrek, they must have some sort of g generator under each floor. Has it ever been mentioned?
We know how to produce simulated gravity. Think 2001 A Space Odyssey (1968). Aside from that film there are quite a few films that use spin for simulated gravity. The problem with humans in space is not gravity, its radiation exposure over duration. The ISS is very close to Earth. Close enough to still be protected a bit by Earth's magnetosphere.
In Star Trek ~ Artificial gravity
Artificial gravity was created using generators embedded in gravity plating on the floor. Gravity levels in corridors and crew quarters could be adjusted.

In real world our current technology will use spin to produce artificial gravity.
In the far future, if we advance to high Type 1 or Type 2 civilization we might harvest star material to produce gravity in star ships.
A teaspoon of neutron star material would weigh about 10 million tons.
NEUTRON STAR
One could use neutron star dust or just use chunks of less dense dead stars like white dwarf material.
The difficulty working with such materials would be reduced by our civilization technology level.
A Type I designation is a given to species who have been able to harness all the energy that is available from a neighboring star, gathering and storing it to meet the energy demands of a growing population.
a Type II civilization – can harness the power of their entire star (not merely transforming starlight into energy, but controlling the star).

Then, there are some other technologies that could lead to gravity control. High Energy Physics or even Quantum Gravity control. If we are able to traverse those great distances even at .9c and have the technology to build large ships in space chances are we will be much higher advanced in the sciences than we are today.
Who knows what discoveries might be made by that time?

I think I have seen an article where retired astronauts have eye problems due to being exposed to no gravity. Anyone heard about this?

I agree we need to harnes subatomic energies befor we ca seriously think of much travel even in our own Solar System. Getting hold of a chunk of Neutron star could be a challenge.

I thought there were grades of type 2. I guess we are just coming out of Neanderthal period of Space travel. I see in the next 100 years we will struggle to make much progress for Mars and certainly won’t be mining there. We have got to have space craft which can act as distant bases. I wonder if the ISS could be upgraded to make the journey?

I think I have seen an article where retired astronauts have eye problems due to being exposed to no gravity. Anyone heard about this?
I've read actual NASA articles where the astronauts describe seeing pinpricks of light flashes while in space, but it has nothing to do with gravity.
It does however, have to do with solar radiation.
When an astronaut is in space, they are exposed to not only the cosmic radiation from the Sun, but also the cosmic raditation of other stars. This cosmic radiation is reduced in low-Earth orbit. It is a major factor to be dealt with for a manned mission to Mars.

https://www.nasa.gov/pdf/284273main_Radiation_HS_Mod1.pdf

Module 1: Radiation
What is Radiation?
Where Does Radiation Come From?
What are Different Kinds of Radiation?
Why is Ionizing Radiation More Dangerous than Non-Ionizing Radiation?
What is Galactic Cosmic Radiation?
Are We Protected From Space Radiation on Earth?
What Factors Determine the Amount of Radiation Astronauts Receive?
Does Space Weather Affect Astronauts?
How is Radiation Measured?
Are There Radiation Exposure Limits?
How Does the Radiation Environment on Earth Compare to the Radiation Environment on the Moon and Mars?

I guess we are just coming out of Neanderthal period of Space travel.

"First, it is important to note that the human race is not even on this scale yet. Since we still sustain our energy needs from dead plants and animals, here on Earth, we are a lowly Type 0 civilization (and we have a LONG way to go before being promoted to a type I civilization). Kaku tends to believe that, all things taken into consideration, we will reach Type I in 100 – 200 years time."

In our book series, when a crew is onboard a ship, they wear boots with thin flexible steel plates in the soles. The ships have steel walkways that use electromagnets to keep people from floating around the ship and for ease of movement. Yes, it's a simple explanation for a sci-fi series but if a ship had enough power to provide the electricity I don't see why it couldn't work well enough to function.

Tet & Odyseey from Oblivion

1524070017944.png

The Oblivion "Bubbleship" is a atmospheric/space ship used by techs to repair Tet drones

Tet Drone Maintenance Cradt.jpg

Tet Harvesters.jpg

Tet Harvesters are drone harvesters sent to Earth by Tet to harvest water.

Tet and Odyseey from Oblivion.jpg

Tet and The Odyseey in space.

Odyseey Separation.jpg

Odyseey separated

The God Ra in Gods of Egypt refers to his space ship as the Source of Creation where he does battle every night against the demon of darkness.

Ra's Battleship Crown of Creation.jpg

Ra's Ship GodsofEygpt.jpg

(sorry so blurry, lots of post processing to keep the file size small)

In Oblivion, The Defense drones operate in Earth atmosphere and in space (as well as within Tet)

Tet Interior with worker craft.jpg

The Heart of Tet

1524071096076.png

Drone defender concept design

1524071136709.png

Drone defender concept design

1524071442934.png

Drone 'look' in the movie

Mind telling me how this spacecraft manoeuvres? Does it have gravity?
1960s era sci-fi? Simple, they had gravity shoes and boots. Propulsion was main thrusters aft. Retro rockets provide, pitch, roll, yaw axis control. 14-woody-allen-quotes-to-start-off-your-uhh-week.jpg, Thank you, thank you.....
clapping-crowd-applause.gif
Sci-fi dude, rah, rah, rahhhhh..LOL

Fun videos I found on Youtube

◄ FICTIONAL STARSHIPS Size COMPARISON ► 3D 🛸

STAR WARS | Real Scale in 3D​

HALO | Real Scale in 3D​

Back