Politics Special Election

spending over $300 million (enough to feed almost 822,000 children in Third World countries for 18 years), ALL 8 propositions failed to pass in the Special Election that the Governator insisted upon. even the two propositions favoured by Democrats lost miserably.

oh snap! honestly, i could not stop laughing. you would think that the Democrat-supported ones would pass. wow, what an embarassment to the CA gov't.

in case ur wondering...

Posted on Tue, Nov. 08, 2005

Results for state propositions

Results as of 11/09/2005 07:09:33

PROPOSITION 73

Bans abortions for minors until 48 hours after a physician notifies parents.
100% of precincts
Yes 3,129,340 47.5%
No 3,465,145 52.5%

PROPOSITION 74
Extends probation for new teachers from two to five years.
100% of precincts
Yes 2,986,287 44.9%
No 3,662,399 55.1%

PROPOSITION 75
Forces public-employee unions to get annual written consent from members to use their dues for political purposes.
100% of precincts
Yes 3,091,713 46.5%
No 3,550,563 53.5%

PROPOSITION 76
Restricts state spending and gives the governor greater budget authority.
100% of precincts
Yes 2,521,709 38.0%
No 4,114,787 62.0%

PROPOSITION 77
Requires a panel of three retired judges, instead of the Legislature, to draw boundaries for all congressional and state legislative districts.
100% of precincts
Yes 2,672,882 40.5%
No 3,919,919 59.5%

PROPOSITION 78*
Allows drug companies to voluntarily provide prescription drug discounts to people who do not already have coverage.
100% of precincts
Yes 2,719,375 41.6%
No 3,821,383 58.4%

PROPOSITION 79*
Forces the state to negotiate lower prescription drug prices for low-income Californians.
100% of precincts
Yes 2,523,419 39.0%
No 3,949,942 61.0%

PROPOSITION 80
Returns the state to a more highly regulated energy system.
100% of precincts
Yes 2,188,786 34.4%
No 4,181,536 65.6%

*If both Propositions 78 and 79 pass, the measure with the most votes in favor wins.

I knew the abortion one wasn't gonna get past...because think about what happen its a father or step father who raped the girl and then get his permission to abort...wtf...thats all i have to say for now!

mel

I'm glad that the abortion one didn't pass, but why didn't the last three get through? Who wouldn't vote for cheaper medicines and (effectively) less pollution? Stupid people.

And why were these laws so entrenched at the government had to spend all that money going to take them to a referrendum? It seems ridiculous - that's what the California legislature should be able to deal with on their own - they're directly appointed representatives of the people. Is this just a by-product of the fact that the US doesn't have compulsory voting?

the rule of thumb amongst most Americans: if you don't understand it, vote No.

i strongly believe that is what happened with the last three since there was such a big difference between the Yes and No results. for like 73, it's obvious people had a stance, that is why it came out so close. but when i went thru the propositions the first time, i was like, "what the heck is 78, 79, and 80 talking about?" i ended up voting Yes on 79 and No on 78 and 80, but apparently, nobody's vote really counted for anything since nothing is changing in California, except we now have less money.

This may sound silly, but one of the reasons may have been because of how fed up people are with the Governor. They might not have wanted to pass anything that he had his name attached to.

77 should have passed.
but that proposition, at best, would only benefit Democrats and Republicans.

"Other states have tried independent or bipartisan redistricting panels. These efforts did not result in a significant difference in which party gets elected in any given district. Passage of this proposition may bring some relief from the extremes of gerrymandering, but let's recognize that it will not be a significant improvement in democracy for Californians.

This is a distraction from real reform. The problem is single-member (one winner) districts using winner-take-all voting. There is no gerrymandering scheme that will accomplish fair and balanced representation of voters under such a system. The solution is multi-member districts using proportional representation voting. This provides majority rule and minority representation regardless of how boundaries are drawn."

There is no easy way to draw districts in a way that represents the demographics of the electorate of the state. That being said, one must be skeptical of elected officials from a given party drawing thsoe lines. There are some pretty messed up districts in California and the rest of the nation.

i'm actually surprised to hear Arnold taking responsiblity for wasting money on this election. but it could just be a ploy to get votes for next year's gubernatorial (sp?) elections.

or in the case of Bush, try to get someone in his party elected in 08. it seems unlikely now, but he's still got 3 years left. as we've seen last time, much can happen in 3 years.
Bush (as well as any president) also is "campaigning" in the office for the midterms next november as well.

Make no mistake, these elections were not a democrat victory by any means. history shows us that these elections are not a precursor of the midterm elections. (2001)

Bush (as well as any president) also is "campaigning" in the office for the midterms next november as well.

Make no mistake, these elections were not a democrat victory by any means. history shows us that these elections are not a precursor of the midterm elections. (2001)
huh? i don't understand. are you talking about the 2005 CA elections or the midterms of 2006? how was 2001 a midterm?

oh, haha. i get it. sometimes i wonder...

we'll see what 2006 brings. if the democrats make a comeback, that would be interesting. but i dont think Arnold will be re-elected.

His approval rating is at 28%, and he's managed to tick off just about everyone in his state...he won't get re-elected.

Back