Sports Fans Unite!

Rics

Cadet
So, am I the only diehard sports fan here? I spose it's not that common for sports and gaming to blend unless it's Madden or something. But hey, I figured there might be a few sports nuts here. Feel free to spout off anything about sports! Especially football *drool* Minicamps are this weekend! YAY!

Favorite sports
1: NFL baby!
I'm a Saints fan first and foremost, but being a huge Fresno State fan I also like the Bears (bernard berrian from FS) and the Texans (david carr from FS). My fav players are Reggie Bush (duh, Saints fan and all), James Sanders (SS from Fresno State with the Pats), and John Lynch.

My predictions for this year:
Richard Marshall (the Panthers 2nd rnd pick this year) will make a huge impact for the Panthers!
Deuce Mcallister is FINALLY going to have a complete healthy year with Bush there to lighten some of the load.
The Cards will be pretty good this year and Matt Leinhart will replace Warner around mid-season.
The Steelers WILL NOT repeat!
Bernard Berrian will lead Chicago in recieving this year.
TO will explode like usual and ruin the Cowboys.

2: NCAA Football
3: NBA
Dwayne Wade is friggin amazing. I'd take him over any other player in the NBA for my team. Oh, and I also ordered 3 pair of his D-Wade Casual shoes :smiley: They rock.

4: Baseball (quickly moving down on the list)
5: NCAA Basketball (slowly moving up on the list)

Sports I Hate
Hockey, golf, soccer, and NASCAR

Gah!! You hate hockey!!!

Hockey is by far my favorite sport. The NY Rangers are my team. Before anyone says anything else, yes yes, I know the devils swepth them 4-0, I was sitting there watching it cursing up a storm...

I used to love baseball, I love baseball Pre-Selig. After he took over as commissioner I watch less and less as the sport constantly degrades...

Football I'll watch sometimes, but I have my daughter on Sundays usually so....

NFL

im hoping that the colts actually make it to the superbowl this year. that is all i want. i don't want peyton to become lacking like dan marino. i know he is one of the greatest and all, but he never got a ring.

i like the saints as well. i can't believe they got reggie bush. (the texans guy in charge of drafting was fired a couple days ago...lol) he is really gonna charge up their offense. im glad they got rid of brooks. he started out good, then went way downhill.

NCAA football

i love the SEC. all teams in it, except the florida gators. man i hate them. i don't even know why. i think it was b/c spurrier projected such an asshole aura. but now that he is with south carolina, he's ok i guess. still hate the gators. Im a big Alabama Crimson Tide fan. have been since i could talk. i don't even mind our rival Auburn so much. i like watching them until the ironbowl. (bama vs auburn)

Soccer

man i love soccer next to football. i know they are polar opposites, but which can i say, im a sick twisted freak. Im super stoked about the world cup this summer (july). i know most people don't really grasp the reality of this. but the USA is ranked 5th in the world. you know how crazy that is? you know how many 10s of millions of people hate us even more now that our soccer team is moving up the ladder. ( i mean, a few months ago an american bought Manchester United, the most prestigious team in England, and they rioted for days, lol) i know that Major League Soccer isn't that exciting to watch. But the World Cup is the biggest (most viewed) sporting event in the world. moreso than the olympics. lets just say, ive got 3 tivos going so i don't miss anything exciting. Go USA.

Ultimate Frisbee

i think there should be an ultimate frisbee league. fun to watch and play. for the most part, those who play and enjoy the game, are naturally cool peeps.

im not too big on NBA or MLB. i like basketball more than baseball. baseball just doesn't seem like it has changed in the last 100 years, cept for illegal drug use.

but i do hope bonds get an asteric by his name if he does end up breaking aaron's record.

I think the thing that bothers me the most about hockey is the fighting. I know people try to defend fighting in hockey by saying "well, someone has to be the enforcer to protect their teammates"...Hogwash! Football is 20x more physical and you don't see them fighting. There are hard fouls in basketball, look what Bell did to Kobe in the playoffs. They get up, bump chests a bit, yell, then that's it. They don't start punching each other in the faces. I mean, how do you justify fighting in hockey to kids? "Oh, well it's okay to streetfight if it's in a hockey game!"

I dunno, just a little immature and unsportsmanlike if ya ask me. I love to watch the hard checking though. Too me it just seems like one of those things people do, and the only explanation they have for it is "*shrug* just part of the game". They really have no idea or reason why they do it besides the fact that it's just the way it's always been.

Ok, ok, so another reason I don't watch hockey is the fact they don't score enough. Which is one reason baseball is dropping on my list. Any game where I can run down to Taco Bell and come back to the same score...well, you get the point.

I think I'd LOVE to actually play hockey though.

Yea, hockey sure is a crazy game. Why do they fight? Probably b/c they're allowed to. Human nature. That's my opinion. If there were stricter rules they wouldn't

Which brings me to...with the rule changes that came into effec this season, fighting and even checking has gone down tremendously. I think it just has to do with the rules. If you started throwing fists in basketball, I'm sure you'd get in a hell of a lot more trouble(though I don't know what the exact penalty is) then getting a 5 minute major. That in my opinion is why fighting goes on. They don't get fined, they don't get suspended, they go to the box for 5 minutes, then back on the ice.

Also, I think a lot (not saying all) a lot of people that play hockey are crazy bastards. I mean before not being able to play with open cuts and such, they'd get cut, go to the bench get like 18 stictches on the face, and go immediately back to play...Guess that's why I love the sport. They're tough and crazy....

You make a good point. That's why people do a lot of things...because they can. So yeah, I spose it's something the rules committee has allowed.

And you're right. They are some tough sobs. I admitt I enjoy watching them fight, just don't think it's a good thing for kids to see.

I dunno...I grew up watching Hockey. It was on all the time, I used to go to games when i was like 2, but I've never gone around starting fights or anything. Guess it depends on how your raised and what you're taught. Who knows...

So true. I spose kids raised in areas where hockey is THE sport, that they'd understand it from a young age. Out here in sunny cal most people don't know what hockey is :smiley:

FOOTBALL!!!!

MLB : The Atlanta Braves will have an amazing comeback after the All-Star break to not only take the Division, but win the World Series. Thats my prediction :smiley:

I love sports. I was born in raised in the Boston area and I'm a fan of all the local teams. Especially the Patriots and Red Sox. We've had a pretty good run of winning recently between those two teams. Too bad the Celtics and Bruins stink! It makes for a long winter up here when those are the only two teams playing. I watch them anyway but they've been pretty depressing for the last 10-15 years. Oh well, maybe the Celtics and Bruins are our punishment for the success of the Patriots and Red Sox, lol.

BTW, Tom Brady is my hero and he's better than Manning. :P

I'm actually picking the Pats to win the SuperBowl this year. Got a great back to help out Dillon in Laurence Maroney, and a great reciever to help out Branch & Brady in Chad Jackson. Should be great!

I think I respect the Pats more than any other teams. They actually play team ball and no whining pre-madonas.

Heh, and I just ordered a James Sanders #36 Pats jersey. He's from Fresno State and will be Harrison's replacement at safety.

RED
ORANGE
YELLOW
GREEN
BLUE
PURPLE

I love ALL sports and ALL teams the same.

Just like I love ALL the colors of the rainbow!

Originally posted by Rics@May 13 2006, 12:51 PM
Heh, and I just ordered a James Sanders #36 Pats jersey. He's from Fresno State and will be Harrison's replacement at safety.
I hope Sanders can get it done this year. He's been hurt way too much so far but the coaches seem to think that he's got potential. He just needs to stay on the field. Hopefully Harrison can recover and comeback fairly early in the season but in the meantime I wouldn't mind seeing what Sanders can do.

Yeah I love gymnastics. I'm in the process of re-training myself with some gymnastics. It's been a long time, and I'm tired of being out of shape.

I can still do a back bend, but my legs aren't strong enough to do a back walk over and definitely not a back hand spring.

You know, the funny thing is, front walk overs are actually waay harder than back walk overs. It's really fun to do them if you're strong enough though.

And back hand springs, I used to just go outside and do them when I got bored.

But that was when I was like 11.

Ten years later and I've got some work to do.

I myself am a big Hockey and Baseball fan. I like football too. As I am from Chicago, I like pretty much all the Chicago teams... except the White Sox... yeah yeah their great, yippe. Blackhawks (I know they suck), Cubs (I know they suck just as bad), and the Bears (They are getting better!) in that order. I like the bulls too, I'm just not a big basketball fan.

The only out of state team I really like is the NJ Devils.

As far as fighting in hockey is concerned, we should probably stop our children from opening their eyes these days if we don't want them seeing fights. Not meant as a flame against your viewpoint, but I think it does just have to come with the proper upbringing and guidance about violence in general.

And on terms of physicality.... Hockey is just as physical as the NFL... the guys are just generally leaner. Makes it look less demanding. There is a reason the guys don't generally stay in for more than a minute of playtime. Plus, you try skating backwards, controlling the puck with a 6 foot stick while following all them quick moving guys, half of which want to sammich you between them and the glass! :D

Czi

Hey Czidvar how about that Carolina vs. NJ game yesterday? I thought it was awsome. The crowd was really into it, as for me I'm a Detroit fan in Hockey.

Chicago Cubs? YUCK. They beat us i the 2003 divisional series :(

Back