Sci-Fi Star Trek (2009) {JJ Abrams reboot}

WOW!
Jennifer Garner In Talks For Trek Role
By ALAN STANLEY BLAIR
Sep-12-2007

For five years she was known as the international super-sleuth Sydney Bristow, but these days Jennifer Garner is taking on more grounded roles which closely parallel current affairs.

J.J. Abrams could change all that, however ... and all he has to do is ask.

According to Rotten Tomatoes, Garner is currently in talks to take on a role (and a pair of prosthetic ears) in the upcoming Star Trek XI film as a young love interest for Spock, who is being played by Zachary Quinto.

"Anything J.J. asked me to do ever, that's a clear 'Don't even worry, the answer's yes,'" she said. "I owe him."

And that's not all. If Abrams really wanted it, Garner would step back into the world of espionage, weapons trading and 15th century prophets for an "Alias" movie should the opportunity present itself.

"If J.J. were writing it and directing it, then absolutely," Garner said. "I think we'd all sign on. I mean, it's all in his crazy brain. But I haven't heard. He certainly hasn't mentioned that to me but I'd be there."

Alias was also created by Abrams and ran for five years on ABC before being cancelled and hit with a shortened episode order due to ratings decline. The series also featured a few minor crossover events with Lost which Abrams also developed.

Filming is set to begin in November for "Star Trek XI," aiming for a Christmas 2008 release.
http://www.syfyportal.com/news424153.html

This would be a HUGE boost to Jen's career if she had a great role in JJ's Star Trek. JJ and Jen have great respect for each other. I hope this can happen! :cool:

This would be very cool. I didn't know that they were going to make more Star Trek movies from what I heard the people who made Star Trek were not going to make anymore Trekkie movies.

Sadly, Jennifer Garner is not listed as among the Cast.... Of course, I got the information from IMDB.com, which may or may not be reliable, depending on who you talk to. I think it would be FREAKING AWESOME if JG was in the movie, but I don't think it will actually happen... :(

I sure hope so. The movie will be amazing as is. But you can only imagine my excitement if Jennifer Garner shows up, even for one tiny little scene. I think I'd freak out. My friends, who already don't understand both my obsessions with JG and with Star Trek, would wonder what planet I was born on...

Abrams: Pegg wept over 'Trek' footage

Wednesday, October 15 2008, 10:57 BST
By Simon Reynolds, Entertainment Reporter
160x120_simonpegg.jpg
Rex Features

J.J. Abrams has revealed that Simon Pegg cried when he saw footage from the upcoming Star Trek movie.

Speaking to MTV, director Abrams said Pegg, who plays Scotty in the science fiction movie, wept after watching a clip on his iPhone.

"I showed Simon Pegg [footage] when we were at Comic-Con. I showed him this little trailer thing and it was my favorite thing ever.

"He literally started weeping. It was ridiculous. He was sitting there, I mean he must have been plastered. Because he was looking at my iPhone [crying]."

Abrams also confirmed that Star Trek will be "a two-hour movie", saying: "I'm sick of these two hours and forty-five minute movies. Seriously, it's like I don't have enough time to stay two hours and forty-five minutes. I'm exhausted just saying that twice. I can't stand it."

Edgar Wright, who directed Pegg in Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz, hinted on his MySpace blog that he had seen a finished version of Abrams's movie and preferred it to the Star Wars prequels.

"Yesterday I saw a film that does not get released until next summer," he wrote. "I can't say much more than that, except that it delivers all the goods sorely lacking from a certain trio of prequels. Exciting stuff."

He might be sick of 2:45 movies, but maybe the fans aren't! Maybe the fans are sick & tired of paying outrageous amounts for movie tickets and then watching 20 minutes of commercials.

Zachary Quntero looks great as Spock.

Hopefully the movie makes us weep as well.
Of the early cast pictures coming out, Quinto seems to fit best as to what a young Spock would look like. The rest of the cast seems to be have come from a casting call of The OC.

If we end up weeping from the new movie, then hopefully it'll be in a good way.

I have to admit that I cried when Spock died in Wrath of Khan. I don't know why I did. I blame it on being young, hehe.

Nice!

... except am I the only one who thinks it is a bit odd to show the big E' in dry dock in the middle of farm land? With the only security around it apparently being a cattle fence?

That, plus I saw the quote below on a blog that talked about the trailer. Would it really collapse? My science is a bit rusty.

You're building a starship at the bottom of Earth's gravity well? Really? Seems to me it might collapse under it's own weight and in Earth orbit would be better.

That, plus I saw the quote below on a blog that talked about the trailer. Would it really collapse? My science is a bit rusty.
If the ship is strong enough to withstand faster-than-light (FTL) speed and the occasional asteroid or so bouncing off it, then I would assume that it is strong enough to withstand Earth's gravity. :smiley:

For a more plausible explanation ... the ship is not free standing, it is being supported by the dry dock that it is sitting in so the strength of the dry dock acts almost like an exo-skeleton to ship. Plus in the beginning of the trailer we saw the police motorcycle using some type of anti-gravity device (aka: a floating, wheel-less, motorcycle) so it should likely be assumed that the dry dock is using similar functionality to keep the E in place and for use as extra support.