Sci-Fi Star Trek (2009) {JJ Abrams reboot}

Star Trek XI - Christmas 2008

Paramount Pictures today officially announced the return of Star Trek on Christmas Day 2008.

The studio also confirmed the film will be directed by J. J. Abrams, who said the film will 'embrace and respect' Trek canon, but will also 'chart its own course.' Also today, rumors are out claiming Matt Damon, Adrien Brody and Gary Sinise will play Kirk, Spock, and Scotty, respectively."

---------

I enjoyed the original series, tng, and a few of the movies - I think I would certainly be interested in seeing a new portrayal of the original Star Trek Cast.

XI? Are there really 10 star trek movies out there already? I can think of about 4.. through the 'back in time - whales movie' - "Captain! Thar be whales here!" - "Where are the navy wessels in Alameda?"

This only furthers my belief that Hollywood has completely run out of ideas. All they have left, now, is going back and remaking old movies with new technology. ;)

I'm not sure if I want them to do it well so it will be enjoyable, or if I want them to do it poorly so I can enjoy watching them get lynched by the rabid trekkies.

He wrote a script for a movie or TV show. I can't imagine what it looks like.

Sarah...cross...left...
Bob:..."....I...Won't....leave!..."

A Timeline of Star Trek Movies

Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
Star Trek Generations
Star Trek: First Contact
Star Trek: Insurrection
Star Trek: Nemesis
Star Trek XI

--

I'm more optimistic than most when it comes to new Star Trek movies. I must admit, though, I'm more excited about Fanboys.

I found Insurrection and Nemesis to be ok, but not all that impressive. Worth seeing if you like ST, but not on the top of the list.

Babylon 5 rocks. It's the one tv show I've purchased on dvd in its entirety. And yeah, DS9 did directly rip off Bab 5.
As in the creator of B5- Strazinsky (sp?) went to the producers of star trek with a series idea- about a space station next to a portal that would allow for distant travel and lots of species could interact there, and so on... they rejected his idea and just after he created Bab 5 proving how popular the idea could be, they came out with DS9.

Yeah, he doesn't talk TOO much about it, probably for fear of being sued, but it's well known that they had all his ideas, then came up with a very, very, very similar show.

I never watched Babylon 5. If it's similar to DS9, I never WILL watch it.

Voyager started out okay, but descended into a soap-opera-y-ness. Enterprise started out okay but I sensed something similar beginning to happen and stopped watching.

Generally speaking, I don't give a damn about relationships. I want lasers, starships, explosions, and either epic stories or bad jokes.

I never watched Babylon 5. If it's similar to DS9, I never WILL watch it.

Do not profane Babylon 5 with such blasphemy!

Seriously though, the show won numerous awards, had the best special effects of any tv show at the time, and the awards reflect that several times over. There are relationships, political manuverings, comedic episodes, mysterious ones, action-packed ones, and tons of intense fully cgi fight scenes with destroyers and fighters and lasers and mass-drivers galore.

And perhaps the best thing about the show- the whole plot line was planned out in advance. Things that happen in season 1 come back to haunt characters in season 3 as they are fully explained. Things in season 2 happen seemingly without reason only to be revealed a few seasons later. And it all fits seamlessly. The plot is epic to say the least.

When we say similar- we mean the premise, not the universe nor the execution.

See now, generally I hate that kind of thing, Gate.

I like episodic TV series....the kind where, if I miss an episode, I'm not screwed out of seeing the rest of the series.

And I'm like that, too. If I miss an episode of an epic series, I won't watch the rest of the series until I can find a way to see that episode. I still haven't seen the rest of Stargate: SG-1 for that reason.

I just saw on Canada's Global News a report that Zachary Quinto (Sylar from Heroes) has been cast to play Mr. Spock in JJ's Star Trek movie. :blink:

Confirmation from http://www.zachary-quinto.com/wordpress/

It has been officially announced today at Comic-Con that Zachary will be the Mr. Spock. “Star Trek XI” will be helmed by director JJ Abrams. More news and media links will be added.

The Internet Movie Database has Zachary Quinto as rumoured to be Mr. Spock. The actor is 30 years old, so that doesn't seem like the movie will be about Spock and Kirk's academy days. No other actor has been listed.

http://syfyportal.com/news424059.html
New Scotty Beams Up
By MICHAEL HINMAN
Aug-19-2007

It looks like once again that ever-present Star Trek movie rumor mill was right as British newspapers are naming Scottish actor James McAvoy the new Montgomery "Scotty" Scott, chief engineer of the Starship Enterprise.

McAvoy, probably best known in the United States for his role as Mr. Tumnus in the "Chronicles of Narnia," was rumored to be the next Scotty as early as last February in J.J. Abrams upcoming 11th Trek film -- a rumor that McAvoy never denied.

"I love Star Trek, but my only gripe with Star Trek was that sometimes they fell into racial stereotypes, and with Scotty more than any other, because he really was just a Scotsman and nothing else," McAvoy told the Coming Soon Web site at the time. "There was nothing else behind his character really. I hope they don't do that with him" in the new movie.

Apparently, McAvoy has been reasurred as the 28-year-old actor has in fact joined the film, according to the Scottish Sunday Mirror. The newspaper pointed out the fact that this would be the first time the character was played by a real Scot as the original actor, the late James Doohan, was Canadian.

"James was up against some famous names," a source told the newspaper. "Everyone's delighted to have him on board."

Scotty is part of the core Trek crew that has become national icons, especially through the phrase "Beam me up, Scotty" despite the fact it was never spoken in the series or movies. Doohan -- a master of accents and one of the creators of the Klingon language -- died in 2005 after appearing in most of the original series, seven movies, and a "Star Trek: The Next Generation" episode. Doohan was already a senior citizen when McAvoy was born in 1979 in Glasgow. McAvoy is no stranger to the genre, appearing in the 2003 SciFi Channel miniseries "Children of Dune" as Leto Atreidas II. British fans know him as Steve McBride in the television series "Shameless."

None of this has been confirmed by Paramount, so this should continue to be treated as any rumor would.