Star Trek Communicator Phone Coming!

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Source: Yahoo Finance - Stock Market Live, Quotes, Business & Finance News

Oh, they better make this available to Verizon Wireless! I would definitely be the kind of geek that in the middle of a meeting at work to break out my communicator..... :tos_com:

Sona Mobile and Viacom Consumer Products to create Star Trek(R) themed mobile communicator device
Wednesday August 10, 9:00 am ET

Global Partnership lets Star Trek Communicator users interact with Star Trek content and each other

NEW YORK, Aug. 10 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ - Sona Mobile (OTC BULLETIN BOARD: PERF.OB - News), and Viacom Consumer Products (NYSE: VIA - News), today announced a partnership to develop a rich content enabled mobile device offering an unprecedented level of functionality. Themed after Star Trek communicator devices popularized by characters on the science fiction television and movie series, the special edition Star Trek Communicator Phone offers Trekkers and fans of cool mobile technology the ability to play a multi-player, online Star Trek game, stream real-time video, and surf the Internet as well as access Star Trek ring tones, wallpapers, news, information, and other fan activities.

The Star Trek Communicator Phone is powered by Sona Mobile's Sona Wireless Platform(TM) (SWP), which offers multi-threading capability for running several applications concurrently. The SWP makes it possible for end-users to stream video clips while simultaneously text messaging a friend or accessing information on the Internet, without negatively impacting device performance.

Sandi Isaacs, VP of Interactive at Viacom Consumer Products, which represents Paramount Pictures properties, remarked, "There is a tremendous opportunity to tap into Star Trek fans around the world and offer them a device to interact, connect and download Star Trek entertainment. This not only promotes the Star Trek spirit but creates a new paradigm for the wireless community."

The availability of the Star Trek Communicator Phone signals Sona Mobile's entrance to the entertainment market after almost six years of leading the delivery of wireless content to financial service organizations. The SWP has powered the corporate environment for years and now crosses the entertainment threshold to offer a wide range of telecommunications features to a new audience.

"Sona Mobile has a history of providing the technology necessary to power mobile access to enterprise applications, so this partnership is a natural extension of our product," said Shawn Kreloff, Managing Director of the Entertainment Division. "The Star Trek Communicator Phone is far and away the most technologically advanced, themed mobile device on the market. As the mobile entertainment industry evolves towards delivering multiple media streams at the same time, our Sona Wireless Platform creates a new era of theme phones." The Star Trek Communicator Phone will come equipped with a custom Star Trek faceplate and other themed features unique to the Star Trek franchise. The phone will be available beginning September 30, 2005.

i found this story a couple of days ago but didn't bother to post it as i cannot find any proposed images of the phone (not that we really need them!)

the phone companies website just has a mailing list to be added to for when they release more news or the phone itself.

the phone is a great idea for confirmed trekkies or teenagers, but to be honest i don't think i'd personally want one. i think i'd die on the spot of shame if it went off with a chirp and i flipped it out in company and said :

"Kirk here!"

startrek_communicator_pr-01.jpg

i once had a girlfriend that was a confirmed trekkie, she owned one of these. i used to sit and watch Babylon 5 with her each week, giving up our nights out. amazing times, to actually be able to sit down with a female of the species, watching your favourite scifi programming and not have her gabbing in your ear constantly :smiley:

Mr Destructo said:
the phone is a great idea for confirmed trekkies or teenagers, but to be honest i don't think i'd personally want one. i think i'd die on the spot of shame if it went off with a chirp and i flipped it out in company and said :

"Kirk here!"
Only if you don't work with a bunch of other geeks. ;) I spend all day with a bunch of other guys & gals in our IT team that all have some quirky traits. Me flipping out a communicator in a meeting wouldn't even raise an eyebrow.

Mr Destructo said:
i once had a girlfriend that was a confirmed trekkie.....
All I'll say on the subject is that my wife is a Lifetime fan. But she indulges me by giving up the TV every Friday night. :smiley:

Back