Sci-Fi Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (1993-1999)

Dark Phoenix

Frakkin' Insanity
Title: Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Genre: Sci-Fi & Fantasy, Action & Adventure, Drama

First aired: 1993-01-03

Creator: Gene Roddenberry, Michael Piller, Rick Berman

Cast: Avery Brooks, Nana Visitor, Colm Meaney, Michael Dorn, Alexander Siddig, Cirroc Lofton, Armin Shimerman, René Auberjonois, Nicole de Boer

Overview: At Deep Space Nine, a space station located next to a wormhole in the vicinity of the liberated planet of Bajor, Commander Sisko and crew welcome alien visitors, root out evildoers and solve all types of unexpected problems that come their way.
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (1993-1999)

I don't watch it but i found this site www.agentbristow.com. Is there a Agent Bristow in Star Trek too ? :cool:
I'll let you know in a few weeks when I'm done watching DS9 on Netflix. :D I just started DS9 the other night; kind of jarring to watch with the SD resolution and black bars on either side. I'm not sure if DS9 was ever given the HD treatment.

I'm up to S3 so far. It's been driving me nuts watching the episodes on Netflix on my X-Box 360 because (1) the Netflix episodes are SD with the side black bars and (2) the Netflix client on the X-Box 360 is much darker than the Netflix client on my Android phone.

I just finished the episode with Tom Riker making an appearance as a Maquis member and am looking forward to seeing how Worf ends up with the Defiant since I don't remember it. Some of the episodes I recall fully but others are like watching for the first time so that's been good.

I said this here before - If you like if enjoy it.

But this is the only Star Trek series I literally I could not stand watching - i think I got to season four before
I could stand no more.

With a seedy gaming house run by a crooked 'Ferenghi' on an international space station, even the most
imaginative find it to be unbelievable.

Plus whereas i got to like most of the other actors in the other Star Trek series - no one in this series
did I find particularly interesting - Dax might be the one exception.

And yet they say this was the most successful of all the series !?!? - Hard to believe.

Maybe it has appeal to the younger {under 15} age group - Most of the other series {excepting the animation}
are appealing to sci-fi fans of all ages !!!

But if it tuns you on enjoy it.

But this is the only Star Trek series I literally I could not stand watching - i think I got to season four before
I could stand no more.
I'm finishing up S3 tonight and will be starting S4 likely Monday. At 7 seasons this one will take me a bit to finish up.
With a seedy gaming house run by a crooked 'Ferenghi' on an international space station, even the most
imaginative find it to be unbelievable.
I think they actually covered that in the first or second episode. Originally Quark was going to be booted when the Federation took over running the station but Sisko allowed him to stay as a way of encouraging people to use the promenade as a social gathering spot.

That is semi-plausible but when taking into account that Federation staff have their families, including children, with them then, yeah, it seems odd that they'd allow some of the stuff that goes on there in the open.
Plus whereas i got to like most of the other actors in the other Star Trek series - no one in this series
did I find particularly interesting - Dax might be the one exception.
I think the character of Dax is interesting but when watching the episodes back-to-back like I've been the whole 'Old Man' thing gets a bit tiresome.
And yet they say this was the most successful of all the series !?!? - Hard to believe.
Success as in ratings or success as in being a fan favorite?
Maybe it has appeal to the younger {under 15} age group - Most of the other series {excepting the animation}
are appealing to sci-fi fans of all ages !!!

But if it tuns you on enjoy it.
I know some fans truly love the series *cough* @BirdOPrey5 *cough* and consider it to be best of them so far. I'm not sure yet if that's a conclusion I'd agree with so I'm holding off judgement until I'm done watching all seasons.

It's been a bit refreshing going back and re-watching the ST series after not watching them for some years. After I'm done with DS9 I'll be likely going to ST:VOY after taking a break by catching up on some other stuff.

At the sacrifice of getting any sleep last night I've finally finished my marathon DS9 watching of all 7 seasons.
Personally, I enjoyed the series until they started a war with the other quadrant...then it just got annoying.
I'd have to agree with this. DS9 is a good show and I'd argue that it makes TNG & VOY look like kids show in comparison, especially TNG, but it seems like around season 5 of DS9 the show veered off course.

The first 4 seasons were mostly solid except for the episodes with the Grand Nagus and Troi's mother; those episodes seemed forced in trying to be humorous but personally I found them more annoying then funny.

Between seasons 4 and 5 though it felt as if the writers were cleared out of the room and a fresh batch was brought in. S5 felt like it was silly stuff with a few serious episodes in between. Quark becomes a woman! Odo loses his virginity! Kira is pregnant... with O'Brien's child! I found myself tempted to fast-forward though multiple episodes. I resisted that temptation because I was determined to see it through. And then they went full force into war mode and kept at it till the very last episode of the series of S7.

The war mode episodes may not have been so bad but they also went full force down the religious path with the Prophets (good) versus the Pah-wraith (evil) and The Emissary (prophet) having to evaluate his own faith. Between Dukat being 'possessed', along with being the leader of a Pah-wraith cult, and Sisko embracing being a religious leader it just felt wrong.

Plot crutches? The writers relied on them, over & over again. It should be set in stone that any ST writers suggesting a story that involves "temporal disturbances" (time travel) shall be banned from submitting future story ideas. The same goes for stories involving holo suites / decks. The first few seasons the holo suites were talked about, but not seen, mostly in the ongoing relationship between O'Brien & Bashir but by the end of series I was ready to throw a remote control at the TV if they did one more full episode of Vic Fontaine! James Darren was great in the role, and the first few episodes were entertaining, but the "Franky Eyes" episode was just so stupid and unnecessary. I'd bet anything that somebody saw Ocean's 11 and thought "Hey, what if....".

As a whole body of work I understand why some ST fans love the series; as a whole it really does add up to more then it's individual elements. It's just a shame that the show reached a crescendo and then rolled downhill for a few years before ending.