Sci-Fi Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

Having watched the 1st episode tonight I can only hope that the 3rd timeline theory turns out to be correct.

If this was positioned as something being in the Kelvin timeline after the divergence from the Prime timeline but before the Kelvin movies then I really think most Trek fans would give it a chance. In today's corporate environment though that was never going to happen. CBS retains the rights to Star Trek television shows through it's acquisition of Viacom but Paramount retains the rights to Star Trek movies. Relations between the two entities is less than cordial.

Watching the episode three things came to mind.

One, CBS did not learn, or perhaps chose to ignore, why some Trek fans did not like ST:Enterprise. I actually liked it but I know some fans were not happy that ST:ENT had technology that felt like it was not in line with ST:TOS, had aliens that never showed up in any of the ST shows & movies that, timeline wise, take place after ST:ENT, had major plot lines that were never even mentioned in the subsequent timeline shows/movies, and threw in the occasional retconning of character & plots. ST Discovery seems to have taken none of those concerns into account. Perhaps somebody simply forgot that it is supposed to be a prequel?

Two, the song lyrics "There are klingons off the starboard bow, starboard bow!" rang through my head loud & clear! :D For those who are familiar with the song you'll know what I'm talking about at the right time while watching it.

Three, visually it looks great. The organic-like design of the Klingon ships & tech is more akin to the Cylons from re-imagined Battlestar Galactica than anything seen before in Trek. At least for the first episode it would seem that CBS was willing to spend the money for the visual effects budget.

Good news for Aussie viewers, this is dropping 25th Sep on Netflix (y)
Oh, it would've been so much easier if CBS & Netflix came to an agreement about it being on Netflix in the US also. :( They could've done something like a release embargo where new episodes were released on CBS's streaming first and then released on Netflix after X weeks but, no... Netflix everywhere in the world will be showing it except here.

The organic-like design of the Klingon ships & tech
So, no. It isn't going to respect the timeline or the tech of TOS.
I guess the only thing this show has that is Star Trek is Starfleet?

Different Ship
Different Crew
Different Technology

Why even call it Star Trek?
I haven't watched it yet because I don't watch any TV show till the whole season has completed.

Here: In case anyone is forgetting what its all about
Star Trek (1966)
Star Trek (1966): Capt. Kirk and the crew of the Starship Enterprise explore space and defend the United Federation of Planets.

https://images.{...}/thumbs/5212_Star_Trek__1966_16.jpg

I saw it last nite, I had Janeway flash backs, great sfx, Klingons did not look like Klingons, its ok for some I guess, but ill keep waiting for a more accurate series, Maybe Space 1999 will do its new series?

Star Trek Discovery ( 2017 ) > Season 1
Star Trek Discovery: Ten years before Kirk, Spock and the Enterprise, the USS Discovery discovers new worlds and lifeforms as one Starfleet officer learns to understand all things alien.

https://images.{...}/thumbs/2800167_Star_Trek_Discovery_2017.jpg

E1 - The Vulcan Hello - 2017-09-24
E2 - Battle at the Binary Stars - 2017-09-24

Star Trek Discovery Comments

Did I watch the same show? Laughably bad CGI and snarky, over the top dialogue. What a turd!!!
It felt like I was watching a movie the whole time. I'm old enough to have watched the TNG series during its original run, and I honestly can't think of anything that would have brought Star Trek to 21st century screens in a better way. This is a flawless 21st century adaptation/face lift of the Star Trek universe. It's all there, it just looks modern. J. J. Abrams with his botched version can't hold a candle to this one.
the whole time I was watching this I kept trying to remind myself that for the most part the entire 1st season of TNG sucked, but it just didn't help. There was no ''Oh this is gonna be good'' moment, instead other than a few lines of banter from the captain the dialogue was dry, poorly written, with no real chemistry between any of the cast. The story was full of holes, and it truly is style over substance and it did absolutely nothing to draw you in. On of the most obvious errors they made in production was not having Michael Westmore back as the main costume designer. Michael Westmore's designs were fluid and organic looking but also highly functional pieces, in this it looks like all of the Klingons have a mouth full of cotton balls just trying to get even the most basic and minimal movement from the prosthetics. I won't bother rehashing the same thing over and over again about the ship designs, they were rejected for a reason and should have stayed that way for all of those reasons and so many more. This is definitely more action,style over thought/emotion/action. The show runners are saying the third episode is almost like a second pilot because of the amount of changes in cast, ship, etc. so I might give it another chance with the next episode, but if it's more of the same as these first two ones, even being able to watch it for free wouldn't be enough to get me to stick around. The best analogy I can come up with is it's like a divorced couple both trying to fight for the "best parent" award (CBS and Paramount being the parents) and in the end they both end up losing all of their good qualities and raising a spoiled brat.
The production is solid and so is the casting, But the vulcan logic versus human emotions has been tackled way too many times over the star trek movies and all the series. It would have been a nice change of pace to engage a different main character identity than a human with a vulcan culture. I think it's just a twist to play the same cards, a new strategy is needed.
On a scale of 1-10 for Star Trek pilots, I give it a solid 6. It's got issues, but they're ones that can be overcome. I'm going to give it a few more episodes before I make up my mind.
Agreed thank you to all for posting. Oh and by the Way I would like to say Thank you to Lucille Ball for giving us Star Trek

Like I said, good cgi, Klingons look like devils instead of Klingons, odd. Its ok, but I wont pay to watch a tv series that really isn't star trek.....Orville works for me....:cool:

I guess for me I am a big Star Trek fan but honestly I have no desire to pay extra money to purchase another TV channel. CBS has lost a fan, I refuse to pay them to see it. I have all the channels that Cable TV Comcast offered, but I refuse to purchase another channel for one program that really doesn't sound like a good Star Trek show. I guess I will wait till it comes out on video as a whole season and then decide if I want to buy it. For the record I liked Star Trek Voyager and Enterprise very much. Also the ship does look like a cross between a Klingon Battle cruiser and a Star Trek ship and honestly it stinks in design for me. As it has been said the show should be based around her Captain, not her first officer.

Well, CBS has apparently made enough from new All Access subscribers that they've announced that a season 2 of ST: Discovery is getting made.

Yay? Nay?

I have not even seen any of the shows, nor do I plan on buying another channel to see it.
Dude its not worth it, if people keep purchasing tv shows of any fashion, then tv as we know it will cost us $$$, I saw the preview, it was "ok", but Enterprise is the last good show from them....

I have to agree, I refuse to purchase some special TV channel just to watch some new show. Get real, I will just pass on the show then. I am a die-hard SciFi fan and I love Star Trek but not at the cost of buying another BS channel.

I read this today as well as a review on another SciFi show:

Seth MacFarlane's"The Orville" takes a high concept and applies simple, human-based comedy in a sci-fi world, and it totally doesn't work. It's trying to be a sci-fi satire with a lot of laughs, but falls completely flat.

I read this today as well as a review on another SciFi show:

Seth MacFarlane's"The Orville" takes a high concept and applies simple, human-based comedy in a sci-fi world, and it totally doesn't work. It's trying to be a sci-fi satire with a lot of laughs, but falls completely flat.

Don't believe critics when it comes to Seth Macfarlane. Believe the audience.

Rotten Tomatoes: 19% with critics, 92% with audience- possibly the biggest split ever-
The Orville

Proof the professional reviewers are personally biased against him.

The show is great, much better than Discovery, and I am not a big Macfarlane fan otherwise. Ted does nothing for me.

Seth would be great if he didn't drag his silly opinion into his cartoons and the Orville, don't need politics and your anti-religious views Seth, otherwise keep up the good work Seth...

I disagree with him about both, but I found neither a problem in The Orville any more so than Treks of the past. Other than a couple TOS episodes you wouldn't be surprised to believe the era of organized religion was over on Earth by TNG times. Not much different with The Orville. As for politics- most episodes went exactly as I'd expect any Trek episode to go in terms of politics but the comedic nod to a sort of galactic affirmative action rule where when rare species apply to Starflee-- err, Union Academy they get "fast tracked." Which was a relevant reflection of today. In fact it was kind of came down against affirmative action.

I disagree with him about both, but I found neither a problem in The Orville any more so than Treks of the past. Other than a couple TOS episodes you wouldn't be surprised to believe the era of organized religion was over on Earth by TNG times. Not much different with The Orville. As for politics- most episodes went exactly as I'd expect any Trek episode to go in terms of politics but the comedic nod to a sort of galactic affirmative action rule where when rare species apply to Starflee-- err, Union Academy they get "fast tracked." Which was a relevant reflection of today. In fact it was kind of came down against affirmative action.
Family guy, the Orville, American dad have all indicated the non-existence of God, therefore he is atheist, plain and simple. Star Trek is also atheist, they are more man depending on man than Christian. The 2 space critter males sleeping together is also non-Christian, the space critter laying an egg, and it turns out female which in turn causes them to be upset is also an indicator. The Simpsons are also atheist, if any show tells the audience there is no God, they are being political and forcing their view upon others. Look, all of these shows are funny, and entertaining, but when they force their views on others, I don't enjoy them hardly anymore. I tune out the humanist, anti-God felgercarb, and focus on the plot. Its cool Bird of pre, you have your 1st amed, and so do I, I don't force my views, but the writers like so many from holly weird do. When they do, I'm out!