Sci-Fi Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)

I can't even remember the first one. The issues I have with this film are that they made Benedict's character so bad ass but then by the end of the movie, all that badassery they built up to kinda let me down. Won't give any spoilers, just saying. You'll see when it happens.

Finally got to watch this last week. It was bloody awesome. I disagree about it being a let down - I think it worked really well, and left it open for him to return in a later film. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

I am SOOOOO looking forward to this movie :D
Have you seen this one yet? I just caught it this week and it was surprisingly a lot better then I was expecting based upon some feedback from others. To get myself into it I did a back to back viewing of the first Star Trek reboot and then Into Darkness after. The 2nd movie had a bit less lens flare and had some little (some not so little) references to the original shows & movies.

A good title; But it might have been called the Star Trek movie that caused Gene Roddenberry to turn over in his grave. Is it just me? - I mean some of the reviewers on Netflix gave it 5 stars. This the first Star Trek movie that when I turned it off in the middle, said to myself I don't care how it ends - just so long as it ends.
This attempt to copy the original characters/actors from the original Star Trek series was a complete bust. I didn't like any of the actors and their poor attempt to copy what was a great series completely failed. Is it just me? Or am I missing something? Tell me why you liked it and maybe I'll make an attempt to watch it through to the end.

And by the way I like most Star Trek movies and series and even thought a web based movie with Michelle Nichols {Lahura} though not of the same quality as a full production movie was still acceptable and was worth watching. But IMO Star Trek Into Darkness was just that - very dark!

A good title; But it might have been called the Star Trek movie that caused Gene Roddenberry to turn over in his grave. Is it just me?
While I agree that they seem to be copying some of the original characters & story arcs, I recognize that the universe had to be rebooted for a new generation to avoid ending up just being a footnote in sci-fi history. I love the original series, I grew up watching the episodes in syndication growing up as a kid in the '70s and am in the minority when I say that I loved the first movie, ST:TMP, but try getting a kid today in their teens or early twenties to watch either the episodes or the movies and they'll be quickly bored.

A few months ago I watched this film turned it off in the middle and gave it a bad review - My mistake!
Last night I watched Star Trek {2009} which introduced the new characters that we see in Into Darkness and suddenly they became acceptable - They are very competent actors and that re-boot sets the stage and chronology for Into Darkness. So I would suggest you see Star Trek {2009} first and Into Darkness will be much easier to watch and enjoy.

I remember when I first saw Star Trek The Next Generation many years ago and saw Patrick Stewart as Captain Pickard - he looked old and it took awhile for me to get used to watching an old captain after the young Kirk
- but he played the role well and the new reboot with a much younger Kirk than even the original plays well and the other actors do a credible job as well - Hope to see more either as movies or even a new TV series.

I think the actors do a wonderful job in the Rebooted Star Trek Universe. The movies are completely watchable and interesting.
My disinterest is not the movies but the concept behind them...Why?
The first of the new universe set the players up and justified a different path for storylines.
I left that movie with high expectations that we would get to see new and exciting adventures for the Enterprise.
Into Darkness crushed those dreams with a rehash of an already known story. I was disappointed to say the least about it, I lost faith that the franchise will explore new ground. I don't want to see what I have already seen, I want new, wonderous and different.
I fully expected to see stories involving the loss of Vulcans from the Universe and that impact on how it changes the "known" Universe. I expected to see stories that delve into the difficulties of humanitarian efforst we face right now in underdeveloped countries. Land Grab (Planet Grab) conflicts that shadow our history's battles and personal life struggles from a race that suddenly becomes a minority.
The current path that Star Trek is Trekking is lazy writing and loss of imagination.

Hope to see more either as movies or even a new TV series.
It'll be interesting if they make any more movies set in the now retconned TOS universe if they'll be able to keep getting the same set of actors back. One of the things that made the original TOS ("original TOS", now there's a redundant phrasing) movies popular is that it was the same set of actors in the roles spread out over several years allowing multiple generations to become fans. Between Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Karl Urban, Simon Pegg, Zoe Zaldana, and John Cho, I suspect that we won't be seeing such longevity.

I fully expected to see stories involving the loss of Vulcans from the Universe and that impact on how it changes the "known" Universe.
Absolutely something as major as the destruction of Vulcan should've had a noticeable impact on the sequel. The absence of Vulcan though should reduce the number stories from the original Trek verse that can be reused because of how much Vulcans were an integral part of the Federation and those story liunes.

Well, if you consider Enterprise as 'cannon' nothing in Archer's storyline has changed. The Vulcans were a major player in the Enterprise Story arc. Their 'inferred' involvement leads one to believe they had a hand in many cultures and had many rivals. Rivals that would take advantage of the scattered Vulcans.

One might expect reboot storylines that put Kirk's Enterprise in conflict with power-grabs by the civilizations that the Vulcans kept in check. From planetary ownership battles to all out wars. Without the Vulcan High Command sitting atop the Federation, Humans would dictate Federation actions most illogically. The truce and merge of the Klingon Empire would be unlikely and Kirk's rash actions would not be kept in check by a disciplined Spock.

In the surge to reunite the remaining Vulcans on a new planetary homeworld, Vulcans would leave outposts and diplomat positions around the galaxy to attempt to repopulate and reestablish their culture. This would leave gaps in the discipline and power swaying the galaxy from Federation control.

The New Vulcan Homeworld, populated by known Vulcan entities, plus without the planetary defense systems that take years to build, Would be a prime target for further species erradication. One would expect to see major offensives against them, genocide attacks and subversive gorrilla warfare tacticts. To survive, Vulcans would need to embrace the emotions they had learned to control.

It would be interesting to see Vulcans fall from grace and return to their war-like nature. Would the Federation survive? How would the Romulans participate? What would become of the Federation's technology that is no longer supported by Vulcan research? With so much going on in the Galaxy would the Federation have time to explore and meet and indoctrinate new cultures? How would the Prime Directive be affected?

As with most of the Star Trek series spin-offs I believe that this new Reboot Universe will suffer the same short-sighted writing that kills the Star Trek Universe for me. As evidenced by Into Darkness, The writers and producers will rehash known storylines because it is easier than trying to think up anything new. The Lazyness of Hollywood and the fight for the almighty Buck will dictate the path this Universe unfolds. We will be robbed of fantastic science fiction stories because it is easier to modify a story than to set a new story arc and follow it to completion.

It will take just one more rehash to put Star Trek into a 'Lost' catergory for me. Lost, because even new movies about old stories are unappealing. I tolerated TNG because it did offer up new and different. TNG was too utopian for me so it never made the grade of TOS but it's technology and stories were science fiction.
DS9 fell short on most episodes for me because it seemed to be focused on cultures. It had a few new and exciting episodes but not many. I would have loved to explored more of the unknown. Voyager was interesting to me but it again was a rehash of cultures. Lazy writing and no vision was its major downfall.
The borg became an inferior species that had pitfalls and short-sightedness. Humanizing the Borg was Voyager's main downfall. Again, this is the fault of the writers.

Star Trek 3 (reboot) had better knock my socks off!

My question-
Will the Nibirans show up again in a future movie? (they should!) They witnessed the Enterprise rising from the ocean!
In the scene below they are drawing the ship.
This wouldn't have to be a negative repercussion of Kirk's ignoring the prime directive, it could actually be a hilarious evolution. Either way, scary or funny, I hope to see them again.

latest

My question-
Will the Nibirans show up again in a future movie? (they should!) They witnessed the Enterprise rising from the ocean!
In the scene below they are drawing the ship.
This wouldn't have to be a negative repercussion of Kirk's ignoring the prime directive, it could actually be a hilarious evolution. Either way, scary or funny, I hope to see them again.

latest
That was an awesome scene! Defo a Prime Directive infraction, but hey, it totally rocked. Who hasn't thought of a gleaming spacy ship scaring off primatives. LOL! Warp speed Scotty!
enterprise-ncc-1701-a-sheet-4.jpg

Good film. I would like to see them do a v'ger remake, I wonder where the writer would take that? Maybe an alternate ending? I would dig it.:cool:

Good alternate universe Star Trek, I wonder if they will write another with a more modern Enterprise, like the motion picture one......;)
856f4-star-trek-warp.jpg