star trek is dead on film

screenersam

This is news, Vincenzo, NEWS!
I didn't watch the last one
losing interest in movies in general. all sex and foul language and leftist politics.
I did watch Godzilla.

I think stuff like ST does better in a longer format. more time to explore the characters and intricate plot lines.

some critic suggested this was the golden age of tv cuz cable and the 'limited run' series can tell longer and better stories. stuff like 'Breaking Bad' and 'Buffy'. now that we have dvrs and netflix and dvds less emphasis on the standalone episode stuff; if you 'miss' an epi you can catch it at your convenience.

aaronbossig

Hungry Trilobyte
Completely agree that Star Trek does better in long-form episodic stories than as a one-movie-every-three years. There were things I liked about the JJ movies, and things I did not, and most of the things I did NOT like could be traced back to the fact that we only got 90 minutes with this crew every three years, and that was NOT enough time to build a worthwhile story.

I would very much like to see Trek continue in the movie realm, and I would even like to see a fourth JJ movie. However, with so many TV shows out, and doing mostly the right things with them, I'd like to hold off on the movies until the right project comes along. Unlike 2009, we don't need to have a reboot movie in order to have new Star Trek.

Tom

An Old Friend
I feel Gene's Wagon Train to the Stars has run its coarse.
I feel Star Trek has become a perversion of itself.
I think we should move on to better stories which reflect technology and society as it is now and will be in the near future.
Yes, Star Trek is still fun to watch but I feel its concepts are old and busted.
It no longer goes where noone has gone before.
It has 'jumped its own shark'.

There are plenty of untapped science fiction concepts which have not been done.
Many new concepts to explore.
We get more Star Trek because Star Trek makes money off its fans.
Studios and production companies are wary of breaking the established pattern of what works.
They want a sure fire way to make money.
So we get more of the same.

Science fiction fans are 'programmed' to want to explore new worlds and seek out new concepts.
Studios think they can mask the same ole same ole with glamour and glitter and the public gobbles it up.
The science fiction movies made now attempt to be for anyone and it shows.
Its all just a money grab... and it shows.

astonwest

Writing Fool
Writer
I almost have to wonder if there's an issue with current public sentiment. Star Trek, in most of its past iterations, has tried to show us a world that is "better" than the one we're in now. When most people have lost hope of things getting "better," does that sort of a setting fall flat? Is that why much of recent sci-fi has been of the dystopian variety?

I agree with Tom about studios and production companies wanting a sure fire way to make money, though.

aaronbossig

Hungry Trilobyte
You raise a good point, and it needs to be considered. I'd throw this out, though... TOS was created at a time when nuclear war was supposedly going to end the world in a matter of months. You can't get much bleaker than that, but Trek survived and thrived in spite of (because of?) it.

Dubbed

Cadet
As a massive star trek fan for as long as I remember, I do find the newer stuff entertaining to watch, but not remotely as immersive as the pre voyager stuff.

I don't beleive a single chunky storyline works, the previous structure never felt rushed to me. I also don't see why they needed to introduce swearing into Picard. Yea they wanted to make it a bit more modern, but that's not how I remember it.

aaronbossig

Hungry Trilobyte
As a massive star trek fan for as long as I remember, I do find the newer stuff entertaining to watch, but not remotely as immersive as the pre voyager stuff.

I don't beleive a single chunky storyline works, the previous structure never felt rushed to me. I also don't see why they needed to introduce swearing into Picard. Yea they wanted to make it a bit more modern, but that's not how I remember it.
I really would like to do a study on the effect that one's age has on their enjoyment of fiction. There are a lot of stories I am REALLY liking these days, but it's hard to dip into the mindset of being 15* and having nothing else in your life more important than this TV show. And I miss that feeling.

*(which is how old I was when DS9 was new)

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Just putting this out there as a 'food for though' item...

The movies are faltering because they are trying to make each of them a large traditional "blockbuster" movie with high profile actors (inclusive of male & female, mind you) in the leads. The problem with that approach is that the actors involved can't really commit to a long term commitment to a single franchise and so every few years there's a casting issue. Do you recast with new actors in existing roles? Do you try to use entirely new actors in the same universe? Are the actors likely to embrace their new fame in the sci-vi fandom or treat it just another pay job?

The original TOS actors, and to extent the TNG actors, started off on TV and were involved with their franchises for years and interacting with fans. The actors were able to move back & forth between TV projects and movies and promotional events with ease and did not publicly disparage the works they were involved in. Compare that to actors of the new movies, you're likely never going to get any of them to appear in a TV show let alone get any of them to commit to be being involved with it for possibly decades.

For a quick comparison to another long standing franchise, Star Wars, the future of their movies isn't exactly rosy either. Several of the actors involved with the last three movies (episodes 7, 8, & 9) are openly disparaging the movies, their roles, and the production teams. Of course they are doing this now that their contracts are over and they'll likely never work on a "Star Wars" project again but the point being is that it's behavior that you really wouldn't see much of in the past with actors in well known franchises.

And it's not necessarily just the actors, the way TV & movie production companies work have changed since the days of TOS. Today's "Hollywood" is akin to short attention span theater, do a project quickly geared for making the most amount of money then close up shop to move on to the next thing.

OK, that's my 'grumpy old man' :oldman: rumbling of the day, I'll go wander off now in search of some coffee.

Top Bottom