Sci-Fi Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Title: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Genre: Sci-Fi & Fantasy

First aired: 2022-05-05

Cast: Anson Mount, Ethan Peck, Rebecca Romijn, Celia Rose Gooding, Jess Bush, Babs Olusanmokun, Bruce Horak, Christina Chong, Melissa Navia

Overview: Follow Christopher Pike, Spock and Number One in the decade before Captain Kirk boarded the Enterprise as they explore new worlds around the galaxy.
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

I will be surprised if Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (SNW) doesn't end up being a fan favorite ranked pretty high up on their 'favorites' list of series. It's a good combination of TOS style characters with TNG style story lines that, I think at least, works really well.

My only criticism, and it's petty 😂, is that the actor they brought in to portray a young James T. Kirk was apparently inspired by the Jim Carrey version of the character. None of the swagger of Shatner and plenty of the exaggerated mannerisms of Carrey's take.

With so many streaming services these days I don't know if it being a Paramount+ exclusive hurts or helps in regards to the shows popularity. With shows now scattered over dozens, if not hundreds, of cable stations and about a dozen viable streaming services it is a lot harder for a single show to breakthrough to the mainstream pop culture. That's a shame because SNW is a show that I think would be able to bring back a lot of Star Trek fans who were put off by Discovery and not necessarily impressed by Picard.

I saw the 1st season...meh
Don't think I want to go backwards in the starfleet story.
Didn't think Picard was all that either.
That final season was just a bunch of dust off and this show is just more of that.
I fully expect more references to the past.
But, I'm not really nostalgic when I watch 'new' science fiction.
I want wonder.

I saw the 1st season...meh
Don't think I want to go backwards in the starfleet story.
Didn't think Picard was all that either.
That final season was just a bunch of dust off and this show is just more of that.
I fully expect more references to the past.
But, I'm not really nostalgic when I watch 'new' science fiction.
I want wonder.

S2:E3... and just like that we have yet another Trek timeline. :eek:

The most recent movies already split themselves off into the Kelvin timeline from the original TOS/TAS/TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT timeline. Then when Discovery came around it messed with a lot of things but it was tried to be explained away as things that just didn't come up before. But the Discovery appearance of Pike & the Enterprise crew made quite an impression on fans which got us SNW which was supposed to be the never-before-seen adventures of Pike prior the events of TOS. If you looked past SNW having a different visual style it was style able to be crammed into the origin timeline.

But not anymore. With SNW S3:E3 going back to what was supposed to be 2022 the original timeline dates are now suddenly out of synch. It looks like the major events of main original timeline are still present but now with different details.