Android Star Trek: Wrath of Gems (Android, iOS)

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
So, lately I've been playing Star Trek: Wrath of Gems on my phone (Android). Apparently it's been out a few years now but I only stumbled upon on while bored one night.
It's an interesting game in that it combines the now-classic 'matching gems' game play with a bit of RPG so it does require strategy. There are three main modes of play, Story, Events, and Arena. Story mode is actually pretty cool because it plays out as a mini-Trek story with gameplay advancing the story line. Want to read more story? Play the game to advance to the next level. Events is a bit like Story mode but they change up every so often. Arena is pure PVP putting you against other players.

For your efforts you can collect trophies (which are just for standings, I don't think they are good for anything else), crystal which you can use for upgrading your ships & characters, and credits which in some cases are required for upgrading your ships & characters. Like most FTP (Free-To-Play) games it can be frustrating collecting the needed crystals & coins to go further in the game without having to resort to spending real money.

There are two distinct sandboxes to play with, one for TOS ships & characters and the other for TNG ships & characters. Fans of either generation will like the great graphics & story lines.

I've played a bunch of similar gem type games over the years, and have Star Wars Puzzle Droids on my phone also at the moment, but so far Wrath of Gems is keeping my attention because of the strategy involved. When in ship combat, for example, you need to think about what your move will allow your opponent to do next when its his/her turn instead of the usual gameplay where you just keep going till you run out of time/moves. And, yes, it can be aggravating when you realize you missed a move only to see your opponent do it after you and totally obliterate you in the match.

Did I mention you can create alliances? Why there may even be an alliance named "AlienSoup.com" that players can join. :whistle:

Sounds pretty cool.
Hope there is a pc version someday.
I can barely answer my phone let alone play a game with it. (maybe baseball, once)
I have a very strange aversion to phones, especially the android I have.
Thinking about gluing it to the wall in the kitchen.
I do like match 3 games tho.

So, lately I've been playing Star Trek: Wrath of Gems on my phone (Android). Apparently it's been out a few years now but I only stumbled upon on while bored one night.
It's an interesting game in that it combines the now-classic 'matching gems' game play with a bit of RPG so it does require strategy. There are three main modes of play, Story, Events, and Arena. Story mode is actually pretty cool because it plays out as a mini-Trek story with gameplay advancing the story line. Want to read more story? Play the game to advance to the next level. Events is a bit like Story mode but they change up every so often. Arena is pure PVP putting you against other players.

For your efforts you can collect trophies (which are just for standings, I don't think they are good for anything else), crystal which you can use for upgrading your ships & characters, and credits which in some cases are required for upgrading your ships & characters. Like most FTP (Free-To-Play) games it can be frustrating collecting the needed crystals & coins to go further in the game without having to resort to spending real money.

There are two distinct sandboxes to play with, one for TOS ships & characters and the other for TNG ships & characters. Fans of either generation will like the great graphics & story lines.

I've played a bunch of similar gem type games over the years, and have Star Wars Puzzle Droids on my phone also at the moment, but so far Wrath of Gems is keeping my attention because of the strategy involved. When in ship combat, for example, you need to think about what your move will allow your opponent to do next when its his/her turn instead of the usual gameplay where you just keep going till you run out of time/moves. And, yes, it can be aggravating when you realize you missed a move only to see your opponent do it after you and totally obliterate you in the match.

Did I mention you can create alliances? Why there may even be an alliance named "AlienSoup.com" that players can join. :whistle:
Looks pretty cool.....:cool:

Back